• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Suggest a Question for the 2nd Presidential Debate

Status
Not open for further replies.
So just saw that CNN and ABC are considering submitted questions for use in the 2nd debate

http://www.aol.com/article/news/201...ed-for-the-next-presidential-debate/21482465/

The second presidential debate is fast approaching, with one major change planned.

Leading up to the big night, viewers at home will now be able to submit and vote on questions to be asked of Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton.

The Commission on Presidential Debates launching PresidentialOpenQuestions.com, where prospective voters can submit questions on a variety of topics.

CNN and ABC have both agreed to consider 30 of the most popular user-submitted questions for the town-hall style debate. Questions will also be taken from members of the studio audience.

Site for submitting questions and voting is here

https://presidentialopenquestions.com/?sort=-votes

Top 5 Questions by vote so far

1. Would you support term limits for members of Congress and the Supreme Court? | 7693 Votes
  2. How will you ensure the 2nd amendment is protected? | 6954 Votes
  3. What will you do to ensure greater transparency and accountability in government? | 6534 Votes
  4. Will You Support a Voter ID System that Insures that Only US Citizens Can Vote? | 6333 Votes
  5. What do you propose to do to those in government that are above the law? | 6261 Votes

Lock if old, searched but couldn't find a thread

Alucrid

Banned
Will You Support a Voter ID System that Insures that Only US Citizens Can Vote?

In this country, we need to show IDs to drive, make any financial transaction, get medical care, even attend your party conventions. Why is it controversial, or racist, to require IDs to vote?

lol

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Why do I feel like Trump Supporters have already hijacked these suggestion page?

I got the same impression, many of the highly voted questions have a right lean to them.

The gerrymandering, net neutrality, and congressional term limit questions aren't bad, at least.

F!ReW!Re

I'm not an American and haven't kept up much with all of the issues surrounding the election, but why is this a bad thing;

4. Will You Support a Voter ID System that Insures that Only US Citizens Can Vote?

Isn't it normal to provide some ID when you vote?

Asbel

I got the same impression, many of the highly voted questions have a right lean to them.

The gerrymandering, net neutrality, and congressional term limit questions aren't bad, at least.
I'm surprised How will you repeal Obamacare? Didn't make top 5.

I'm not an American and haven't kept up much with all of the issues surrounding the election, but why is this a bad thing;

4. Will You Support a Voter ID System that Insures that Only US Citizens Can Vote?

Now it is, before it wasn't. It doesn't help that now some Republican states have made some forms of identification acceptable and others not. This is an example of some of the horseshit they tried.

Alucrid

Banned

voter id laws are thinly veiled attempts to reduce the amount of minority voters who are most likely democratic voters as well. voter fraud hardly occurs at the level that voter id laws target. the law primarily affects minority voters that don't have access to a "valid" id.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I'm surprised How will you repeal Obamacare? Didn't make top 5.

It's probably going to get there, there are like three different questions on the first page basically pushing in that direction. And another two or three that are basically "you better not take our guns."

F!ReW!Re

Now it is, before it wasn't. It doesn't help that now some Republican states have made some forms of identification acceptable and others not. This is an example of some of the horseshit they tried.

Ahh that explains it, the fucked up thing was they cherry picked which ones you could use and it was up to state regulations.
So there is a need for nationwide regulations where in all the valid ID's are listed so that everyone is treated equally.

Thanks!

voter id laws are thinly veiled attempts to reduce the amount of minority voters who are most likely democratic voters as well. voter fraud hardly occurs at the level that voter id laws target. the law primarily affects minority voters that don't have access to a "valid" id.

Thanks for the explanation!

How has Trump's troll army not taken this over yet?

I believe they have. Re-read the top 5 questions and think about everything Trump and his ilk have said. I mean the last question is clearly aimed at Hillary not being "tried for treason" as his supporters would put it. Also, the 2nd Amendment and Supreme Court questions, you know, like how Trump said those guys should do something about her if she wins. Also, voter id laws which are used by Republicans to gleefully suppress voters who do not fit the Republican voting demographic. Only one that seems not ginned up by his abhorrent base is question 3 which I think all sides can agree to (although I still feel its his base again trying to get this ask as a knock against Hillary).

MIMIC

Banned
I clicked on random and got this question:

Are you the lesser of two evils?
Millions of Americans will cast their vote for you as the lesser of two evils. Should the party primary processes be changed in some way to ensure the BEST candidate is selected by your party?

lol

We all know the answer to that one =p

Voter ID requirements aren't a bad idea on the whole. It's the strictness of the requirements that have proven problematic and in many cases appear to be either entirely racist or strategic political moves.

For example, from this article about voter id laws in North Carolina:

In the North Carolina case, the 4th Circuit panel agreed with allegations that North Carolina’s omnibus bill selectively chose voter-ID requirements, reduced the number of early-voting days and changed registration procedures in ways meant to harm blacks, who overwhelmingly vote for the Democratic Party.

“The new provisions target African Americans with almost surgical precision” and “impose cures for problems that did not exist,” Judge Diana Gribbon Motz wrote for the panel. “Thus the asserted justifications cannot and do not conceal the State’s true motivation.”

I don't see how number 1 is a bad question.

The full question for number 1 is kind of odd in that it includes the Supreme Court

Would you support term limits for members of Congress and the Supreme Court?

Many people feel that too much power has been accrued among members of Congress, who no longer represent the needs of their constituents.

The life term granted to Supreme Court justices is very purposeful in the original founding of the Supreme court as one of the many measures to limit possible influence from other branches, from having to play a political game every 4 years etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom