• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Suit: Stockton PD fired more than 600 bullets into SUV with hostages

Status
Not open for further replies.
The city of Stockton has refused to accept responsibility for its police officers, who allegedly fired more than 600 rounds at armed bank robbery suspects inside a disabled SUV and hit a hostage 10 times, killing her, an attorney for the woman’s family said.

Though the family of Misty Holt-Singh has four more months to consider filing a claim against Stockton for its police department's handling of a July robbery and chase that left Holt-Singh and two suspects dead, the city is “forcing the Singhs’ hand,” attorney Gregory Bentley said. He did not specify when a claim would be filed.

Stockton city officials declined to comment.

“The city has refused to accept responsibility for its actions,” Bentley said in a statement. “Stockton police officers fired over 600 bullets at a disabled vehicle with full knowledge that Misty was inside ... of the bullets that struck Misty, every single one was fired from a member of the Stockton police.”

Holt-Singh was killed July 17 amid a dramatic multi-county chase when three men robbed a Bank of the West and took her and two others hostage and fled. Authorities said Holt-Singh was used as a human shield during the ensuing shootout.

The family’s investigation shows that 34 officers discharged their weapons and that they "violated numerous standard police protocols in their response,” Bentley said.

Bentley’s critique is echoed in a claim filed last week by one of the surviving hostages, Kelly Huber, an employee at the bank.

Huber said than an officer negligently interrupted the bank robbery and caused the subsequent kidnapping and shooting. Police weren’t prepared to contain the robbers before confronting them and didn’t wait until she and the other two hostages were free before trying to capture the suspects, which only made it more dangerous, Huber said in her claim.

Huber was shot in both legs and broke a bone in the incident. She’s seeking unspecified damages.

Last month, a Northern California grand jury indicted Jaime Ramos, 20, and Pablo Ruvalcaba, 21, in connection with the robbery. Authorities say Ramos was the surviving gunman and Ruvalcaba was the driver who dropped the gunmen off at the bank.

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-hostage-stockton-police-claims-20150120-story.html

For reference, in all of 2011, Germany police, all of them, fired a total of 85 bullets.

in the UK, for 2013, shots were fired a of 3 (three) times.

How on earth are a group of 34 people who feel the need to shoot into a car with hostages 600 times understood to be fit for public service?

I'm in theory going to be going on a ride along with a police officer around that area. Not sure if I want to at this point now. :|

I was hanging with Misty husband a month back. They are good people. The Stockton police are a bunch of low class people who don't know how to do their jobs.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
I'm in theory going to be going on a ride along with a police officer around that area. Not sure if I want to at this point now. :|

in stockon? shhiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit.

maybe try Brentwood police or Tracy. not as turbulent an area for a ride along. they're great learning experiences, but Stockton is fucking crazy.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
Should be a slam dunk lawsuit right? Looks like gross negligence to me.
You'd think that, but there's probably a good chance that they'll lose.

Chumly

You'd think that, but there's probably a good chance that they'll lose.
Well at least from experiance in my city it's near impossible for any charges to be filed let alone given guilty verdicts but lawsuits on the other hand do have success many times.

Mimosa97

If the Hostage had a gun, she would be alive.

She could have defended herself against 34 policemen shooting at her.

Thanks Obama.

What a horrible story ... The kind of stuff that makes me want to puke ...

R.i.p

in stockon? shhiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit.

maybe try Brentwood police or Tracy. not as turbulent an area for a ride along. they're great learning experiences, but Stockton is fucking crazy.

Not Stockton, but one of the cities around it. I've heard some crazy stuff goes down in Stockton from a news buddy too.

And that's exactly why I want to do the ride along, I want to learn and see for myself

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom