• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT3| Where All the Waifus Are Made Up and the Points Don't Matter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Narag

bsp18aa.jpg

When I finally cave and curiosity gets the better of me, it will be the fault of this image.

Jex

I mentioned earlier that the inner-completionist in me can be a real pain in the ass. Well this is another case. I hate dropping shows even if they're horrible, something I need to work on.
That sounds like a personal problem. One that many in this thread can, I'm sure, relate to.

Not me though, I drop stuff all the time.

Mature

.hack//Quantum 1: "WALKING PARTY"
qiueF.png

I think owning all of the games, manga, most of the light novels and dvds has basically put me at .hack nerd status, but I've only just now gotten around to watching Quantum. I was holding off to grab the Blu-Ray, but my PS3 is busted and Hulu's got it and here we are. Going into this, I was just hoping for a quaint little off-shoot of the canon that didn't try anything too dramatic. The first half of the episode was harmless enough. There was a liberal amount of mediocre CG, but I quickly forgot about it with some of the better animation and out-of-nowhere beautiful backgrounds. In fact, there was a handful of scenes that felt extremely atmospheric, which is great because a world like "The World" deserves it. The characters didn't seem offensively one dimensional, at least what can be told from a 30-minute episode. I'm wondering if they'll even bother addressing the character's appearance similarities to Balmung, Black Rose and Kite. Those outfits look really, ehm, "off" juxtaposed with The World R:2 general look worn by the rest of the players. I guess I wouldn't mind if they didn't. Better than the Legend of the Twilight's "We won outfits of the legendary dot hackers!" shtick.

Towards the end of the episode, the plot did a pretty seamless segue from quirky "Running away from PKers" to pretty damn macabre, serious business. When things began to turn plotty, I was hoping they'd at least deliver by making it heavy and intense-- a tone that is usually handled pretty well in .hack. I can say that, yes, it did. In spades. Pleasantly surprised by the pacing, art and the Kow Otani score. Looking forward to the next two.

Mouretsu Pirates 26- fin

So I thought about doing a writeup but I realized how much I hate this fucking show. This boring, trite, tensionless, and anti-climatic show. Not to mention the fact that they introduce a much larger concept in the last five episodes and don't do jack with it, something that might have been interesting 13 episodes ago. This show isn't worth wasting anymore time.
Aw, no Mad Pierrot-style Arcana Duello synopsis?

Basquash 4

Now that's an interesting super power.

Wouldn't someone with big breasts accustomed to the moon's gravity have a ton of difficulty not falling all over the place down on Earth?

Anyway, the last 3 or 4 minutes of this episode were great. This is more like basketbrawl than basketball, and I'm totally okay with that. Screw actual basketball games, this is anime!

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Basquash 4

Now that's an interesting super power.

Wouldn't someone with big breasts accustomed to the moon's gravity have a ton of difficulty not falling all over the place down on Earth?

Anyway, the last 3 or 4 minutes of this episode were great. This is more like basketbrawl than basketball, and I'm totally okay with that. Screw actual basketball games, this is anime!

Oh man I need to finish Basquash.

I uh, kind of like Jormungand more than Black Lagoon and am actually pretty hopeful for its second season.

well, it should be better than the first season because there is less material to animate and the later arcs are also less episodic.

And I can't wait to see Ugo's arc!

Horizon s2 11

I find the relationship between Felipe and Juana much more interesting than the one between Tenzo and Mary.

And yay, the sex running joke made another appearance.

duckroll

Naoyuki Onda tweeted that he finally completed whatever work he is currently doing, and the final piece of key animation is done. This was then retweeted by Shiotani. Seems like he was probably doing something for Psycho-Pass? Animation on the OP maybe?!

Jarmel

Banned
Naoyuki Onda tweeted that he finally completed whatever work he is currently doing, and the final piece of key animation is done. This was then retweeted by Shiotani. Seems like he was probably doing something for Psycho-Pass? Animation on the OP maybe?!

I don't remember him from anything and when I looked at the works he's done, nothing really stood out to me. Is he famous or something among sakuga-whores?

duckroll

I don't remember him from anything and when I looked at the works he's done, nothing really stood out to me. Is he famous or something among sakuga-whores?

He's the character designer for Bakumatsu, Ergo Proxy, Blassreiter, the Animatrix Detective Story short, and a bunch of other stuff. He's pretty well known for his rather unusual looking art style for characters, especially their faces.

Edit: He's also the character designer and chief AD for the Berserk movies.... sooooo maybe he was talking about that instead. Lol.

Jarmel

Banned
He's the character designer for Bakumatsu, Ergo Proxy, Blassreiter, the Animatrix Detective Story short, and a bunch of other stuff. He's pretty well known for his rather unusual looking art style for characters, especially their faces.

Edit: He's also the character designer and chief AD for the Berserk movies.... sooooo maybe he was talking about that instead. Lol.

Is there a reason for Shiotani to retweet something from the Berserk movies? I thought 4C was doing it.

Does that include the designs for the demonic robot monsters that I can't remember the name of? Because those were pretty boss.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Thanks to the fact I know like no names in the industry the Psycho-Pass hype machine is literally flying over my head.

duckroll

Does that include the designs for the demonic robot monsters that I can't remember the name of? Because those were pretty boss.

The original designs for all the characters and mechanical shit were by Nishii at Nitroplus. Onda adapted the characters into animation designs, but all the CG adaptation of the mechanical stuff including the demoniacs were done by Makoto Ishiwata. It seems that Nitroplus uses him to adapt all their base designs into CG when required, since he's also adapting the mechanical design for Robotics;Notes, and he also designed the Dominator gun in Psycho-Pass.

Thoraxes

Mouretsu Pirates 26- fin

So I thought about doing a writeup but I realized how much I hate this fucking show. This boring, trite, tensionless, and anti-climatic show. Not to mention the fact that they introduce a much larger concept in the last five episodes and don't do jack with it, something that might have been interesting 13 episodes ago. This show isn't worth wasting anymore time.

I agree. I'm sorry to have seen you finish it, as I dropped it before it was half over.

The original designs for all the characters and mechanical shit were by Nishii at Nitroplus. Onda adapted the characters into animation designs, but all the CG adaptation of the mechanical stuff including the demoniacs were done by Makoto Ishiwata. It seems that Nitroplus uses him to adapt all their base designs into CG when required, since he's also adapting the mechanical design for Robotics;Notes, and he also designed the Dominator gun in Psycho-Pass.
Got it. Gracias.

Narag

Elf 17

Strange (and largely forgettable) sci-fi comedy OVA from the 80s involving a winged space elf girl punching stuff both before and after being stranded on a strange planet. Mechanical design seemed influenced by Star Wars & Gundam with a touch of Macross thrown in here or there. It was ok but I can't help think I'd have been better off just going back to bed rather than watching this.

n4t4ul.png

This is strangely representative of the whole.

mh2tkl.png

Familiar face.

Kazzy

YuruYuri Episode 12

All those references!

It was a good final episode. It was pretty strange though, just how mundane the opening half was, especially considering how crazy it goes with the snow white stuff. And how do they continue to wring these surprisingly emotional moments out of Akari?

All things considered, it has continued to be consistent throughout the season, both in terms of its comedy, as well as the quality of the animation. Its title is a bit of a misnomer, and I think those who haven't tried it, should at least give it a try.

I know that I say this every time they make an appearance, but Matsumoto and Nishigaki are awful characters, they are so one-note, and the initial joke wasn't even funny to begin with. They're the only thing that I've really disliked about the show.

duckroll

http://www.cinematoday.jp/page/N0046124

Meh, Ookami Kodomo is out of the top10, not at 11th either, so no more exact numbers. I guess we'll have to rely on press releases as it breaks milestones, and probably the end of the year annual box office chart to get exact final gross numbers.

In other news, Bayside Shakedown The Final remains in #1, with a total gross of 2,801,117,100yen after just 2 weeks, and total attendance of 2,194,200. That is the box office power of Katsuyuki Motohiro, the chief director of Psycho-Pass.

Narag

Cherry no Manma

Ten minute OVA from 1989 that's ostensibly about misunderstandings but more revolves about a young girl's missing panties and how she suspects one of her two male housekeepers absconded with them. It's uh... exactly as described.

Looking around, it looks like's based on a manga where I'm sure the idea of the Odd Couple taking care of a kid could be explored better.

Narag

Jormungand 1

I think I'll like this between the premise, action, soundtrack, and general feel. Those vehicles are something else though. Someone posted a shot of the jet from the beginning when this first aired and I spent some time trying to understand why. I didn't realize it was CG nor did I realize just how bad it looked in motion. Koko's kinda crazy too, isn't she?

cajunator

Banned
I love those giant Madagascar hissing cockroaches.
I finally got to hold one and pet it while it hissed at me. It was adorable! I want one as a pet.

wonzo

Banned
HidaSketch x365 6.2

Ah the sneaky swimsuit, enemy of naked apron fetishists everywhere. Anyways, this episode was far more visually frantic than the last one which looked kinda cheap at times.

Damn. You have almost caught up to where I left off.
All the more reason to pick up the pace!

Different times, man. That's just how they did things back then.
It's a sick and depraved world we live in. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom