• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT3| Where All the Waifus Are Made Up and the Points Don't Matter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Lagrange: The Flower of Rin-ne 02 08
UqTmdl.jpg
sFeoyl.jpg
I love this show. <3

Yes, but they're pretty rare. The only ones I know of are Monster (12:40 AM on NTV, 74 episodes), Golgo 13 (1:23 AM on TV Tokyo, 50 episodes), and Nana (11:25 PM on NTV, 47 episodes).

Edit: Looks like Hajime no Ippo was also one: 12:50 PM on NTV, 76 episodes.

It would probably need more than 100 episodes to cover up to part 7. Ah well.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Decided to watch a random episode of Seikon no Qwaser in memory of the fallen one.

Not even one minute in and I am already welcome with the unsightly view of deflating breasts. And then floating giant talking boobs.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Decided to watch a random episode of Seikon no Qwaser in memory of the fallen one.

Not even one minute in and I am already welcome with the unsightly view of deflating breasts. And then floating giant talking boobs.

oh god it sounds even worse than Manyuu

Jex

[Cross Game] - 2

This show is still looks really cheap and ugly, the level of detail on just about everything is extremely low.

I guess it really speaks volumes that, despite this, I still really enjoyed this episode and I want to watch the next one. This has nothing to do with the strength of the visual storytelling or the direction or the animation or the art, I'm solely engaged in the story as a result of the characters. That's surprisingly rare, I guess the only other example I can think of where I kept watching a ugly show was Towards the Terra.

Good stuff.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
[Cross Game] - 2

This show is still looks really cheap and ugly, the level of detail on just about everything is extremely low.

I guess it really speaks volumes that, despite this, I still really enjoyed this episode and I want to watch the next one. This has nothing to do with the strength of the visual storytelling or the direction or the animation or the art, I'm solely engaged in the story as a result of the characters. That's surprisingly rare, I guess the only other example I can think of where I kept watching a ugly show was Towards the Terra.

Good stuff.

Seriously, it's like you're setting me up or something.

Writing < animation

Although, Adachi lost me for a while in the middle. I had to walk away from the series for a few weeks when it happened. lol

Jex

Seriously, it's like you're setting me up or something.

Writing < animation

Although, Adachi lost me for a while in the middle. I had to walk away from the series for a few weeks when it happened. lol

Well it's either this or Touch! and one of them is considerably shorter than the other.

At least in Touch! they don't randomly forget they're making an anime and having sequences moving at like, 48fps, for no real reason.

Mature

So I'm up to episode 16 of Serei no Moribito and I just wanted to say how absolutely impressed I am with this show. People actually act like normal human beings. I'm repeatedly blown back by this.
It's always great to hear someone enjoying this.

Jarmel

Banned
Eureka Seven AO is NOT ending at ep22 after all. Something seems to have changed in the last week.

http://www.animax.co.jp/table/pdf/201210_1.pdf
http://www.animax.co.jp/table/pdf/201210_2.pdf
http://www.animax.co.jp/table/pdf/201210_3.pdf
http://www.animax.co.jp/table/pdf/201210_4.pdf

Previously Animax Japan was listing E7AO Ep22 (airing on 10/3 on the station, a week after MBS) as the final episode, with the next two weeks being filled by Anime Mirai reruns before AKB0048 takes over that time slot on 10/24. But now it has changed to reflect that E7AO Ep23 and Ep24 will be airing on those slots instead as originally planned with NO delay.

Since Zetsuen is still taking over E7AO's slot on MBS on 10/4, it means that MBS must have found some other way to air the last two episodes on some other slot without a delay.

I'm actually happy about this as I can just finish the show off now instead of waiting till next year.

Jex

Wow, it really is slow in here. I guess the news about the latest Eureka Seven Ao episode has sapped the life out of everyone :(

Anyhow, I went and looked at the staff list for Cross Game. I'm quite interested by the director, Osamu Sekita. Here's a guy whose worked in anime since 1976 and has never really been the director of anything special. It doesn't seem like he was ever 'destined for greatness' as they say but his wealth of experience directing anime over the decades shows in the way that he seems to to be handling Cross Game. There's no attempt at flashy directing or exciting cinematography, there's no creative manipulation of the story or weird editing - he doesn't take any risks. Instead, he just serves up heaps of solid pacing.

Pacing is kind of tricky topic to explain sometimes. Unlike say, cinematography or animation I can't show it to you in a picture so that you'll instantly recognise what I am talking about. Pacing is a little more ethereal than that - you know it when a show has it and when a show doesn't. I feel like it's quite easy to spot bad pacing because that tends to involve either the artificial stretching or lengthening of a material (padding a story vs rushing it) but simply explaining "good pacing" is rarely so simple. For me, a well paced episode of an anime is one where I don't need to check my watch at any point, where events are happening with enough regularity that I never grow bored or distracted. This isn't always as easy as it seems, even within a 22 minute timeslot.

Decades of experience in the business have apparently taught Osamu Sekita how to use this limited run-time effectively because I feel like we've covered quite a lot of material in these first two episodes but none of it felt rushed.

cajunator

Banned
Why can't eyepatch moé girls wear pirate eyepatches instead? :(

Like Jubei-chan? Well hers is the shape of a heart so its even better.

Tired of all the sister anime out there? Say hello to Brothers Conflict!

Best-seller of the year right here. Fujoshi power!

By the way... please, tell me if someone has seen translated impressions from the premiere of his latest movie. I haven't seen any yet!

Kurako Eba - Hyouka Wiki
http://hyouka.wikia.com/wiki/Kurako_Eba

Although maybe you were joking with that question... in that case, sorry!

No I honestly forgot her name, but now I remember her.

Scenes with Yune in them are adorable but the scenes without her are boring. :/
I watched the whole series due to the positive momentum from the first few eps, but in retrospect I would have been better served if somebody could have provided an edited version with only Yune scenes.

I liked the whole series, but it is infinitely better when Yune is in a scene of course. The only problem with it is that Yune is such a commandingly adorable character that the show looks dull by comparison when shes not there.

I like it. And you guys are leaking.

From youtube:

What the hell? Ive seen memes about Amirox on youtube but Ive never seen my name there before. wonder who it is?

BluWacky

I watched Eva 1.0 and 2.22 yesterday night, having not seen any of the original Eva other than the first episode and the Dance Like You Want To Win one at some ungodly hour of the night on SciFi in my teens.

I can't really comment in much detail - as my anime watching has been so informed by years of Eva-influenced shows, perhaps a lot of what was so interesting about it in the first place just seems old hat now, particularly as I adored RahXephon.

The films clearly suffer from basically being episodes smooshed together, so the pacing is pretty poor, and none of the "humour" works for me at all. The animation is good, and I really enjoy the way the Evas and Angels move (the Angel design in particular is great), but a lot of it isn't actually very interesting to watch - the highlights for me were all in 2.22, particularly the aquarium sequence (beautiful and human, something which the vast majority of the films lack) and the climactic section.
I can't believe they used the "incongruous music to evoke pathos" trick twice in about half an hour, though. That was pants, even if the visuals were gorgeous.

I will fully admit to watching the films rather than making an effort on the TV series because they're shorter and the second one has Maaya Sakamoto in it. I know Mari is supposed to be the "otaku bait" character, but she seems no more pandering than Asuka - but then I guess I'm not seeing the Asuka that most people are familiar with here, am I?

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Natsuyuki Rendezvous 11

"At this rate everyone's just going to be miserable..."

OH BOY YOU HAVE NO FUCKING IDEA

Natsuyuki Rendezvous FIN

About three episodes too long. The fairy tale portions were badly paced and were obviously there to fill up the timeslot. Great music and art, though. I guess what I loved the most was the subject matter, which also lent itself to characterisation rarely seen in the medium. I give it four Thumbelinas out of five.
I actually like her songs. I think Mameshiba is beautiful. I just find her actual character voice acting to be unremarkable.

Now if you'll excuse me I have a Rie Kugimiya blog to update.

Jex

I watched Eva 1.0 and 2.22 yesterday night, having not seen any of the original Eva other than the first episode and the Dance Like You Want To Win one at some ungodly hour of the night on SciFi in my teens.

I can't really comment in much detail - as my anime watching has been so informed by years of Eva-influenced shows, perhaps a lot of what was so interesting about it in the first place just seems old hat now, particularly as I adored RahXephon.
I don't actually think that the specific things that Evangelion succeeded in doing has been directly replicated by any of the those works that were influenced by it, even if various parts of the work have been recycled into the rest of the industry. I think you might agree if you sat down with the whole series.
I will fully admit to watching the films rather than making an effort on the TV series because they're shorter and the second one has Maaya Sakamoto in it. I know Mari is supposed to be the "otaku bait" character, but she seems no more pandering than Asuka - but then I guess I'm not seeing the Asuka that most people are familiar with here, am I?
I don't want to say that you're doing it wrong, but you are doing it wrong. Not that I can blame you, movies are far easier to digest than full-blown TV shows. That still doesn't make what you did excusable, just understandable.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
I don't want to say that you're doing it wrong, but you are doing it wrong. Not that I can blame you, movies are far easier to digest than full-blown TV shows. That still doesn't make what you did right!
Maybe Anno should have made films that appealed to new audiences instead of trying to ride up on the nostalgia of the original show.

DiGiKerot

The films clearly suffer from basically being episodes smooshed together, so the pacing is pretty poor, and none of the "humour" works for me at all. The animation is good, and I really enjoy the way the Evas and Angels move (the Angel design in particular is great), but a lot of it isn't actually very interesting to watch - the highlights for me were all in 2.22, particularly the aquarium sequence (beautiful and human, something which the vast majority of the films lack) and the climactic section.
I can't believe they used the "incongruous music to evoke pathos" trick twice in about half an hour, though. That was pants, even if the visuals were gorgeous.

How did you like that KareKano music recycling?

2.22 is kind of a weird movie -
it's not really all the much like being episodes of the TV smooshed together because, whilst there's some high-level similarities to the events, it's simultaneously not really like the TV version at all. Yet, for some reason, Anno clearly decided to pace the movie as it if was a series of TV episodes rather than as a movie. I think it has it's merits in terms of the number of things that happen within it's run-time - particularly after a slightly stale first movie that adheres to the source a little too closely - but it does make it a really weird movie to watch at times...

You should really watch the TV show some time.

Jex

Maybe Anno should have made films that appealed to new audiences instead of trying to ride up on the nostalgia of the original show.

I think he tried to do both, which was something that worked far better in 2.0 than 1.0 and obviously the films have been critically and commercially successful. I'm just part of the small minority that isn't impressed by them, but everyone is already aware of my position on this.

Branduil

This Fate/Zero thing really goes back to what duckroll said in an earlier discussion. I shouldn't have to read the source novels to understand what happened in the anime.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
I think he tried to do both, which was something that worked far better in 2.0 than 1.0 and obviously the films have been critically and commercially successful. I'm just part of the small minority that isn't impressed by them, but everyone is already aware of my position on this.
I guess the Star Wars prequels were originally well received by the populace too!

Time will prove me right.

Jex

This Fate/Zero thing really goes back to what duckroll said in an earlier discussion. I shouldn't have to read the source novels to understand what happened in the anime.

What's ironic about his reasoning is that he feels that if you insert a flashback into a fight then the audience would loose all the tension and intensity of the scene, which is true to an extent, but it's equally true that if you don't fully understand the relationship between the characters then the audience has lost something equally important.

Branduil

What's ironic about his reasoning is that he feels that if you insert a flashback into a fight then the audience would loose all the tension and intensity of the scene, which is true to an extent, but it's equally true that if you don't fully understand the relationship between the characters then the audience has lost something equally important.

And the other thing is that the editing in that episode just feels pretty off. You can actually feel that something is missing. Which makes me wonder if they really were planning on adding it, but changed their mind.

Jarmel

Banned
That's a pretty poor justification considering there's nothing stopping them from putting those scenes somewhere else.

Well if they didn't put it into the fight directly then they would have had to put it in Saber's monologue at the end, however I think they wanted that to be more retrospective and the focus to be on Saber.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom