• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT3| Where All the Waifus Are Made Up and the Points Don't Matter

Status
Not open for further replies.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Is there a character more useless than Wako from Star Driver?

As Sugata attempts to seal himself away forever and Takato is fighting to prevent that. Her fucking problem is that she loves two guys too fucking much.

Yes, I'm a brave man. I'm rewatching the show. Aka, just the last and first episode. But that is far too much anyways.

jZlOCm6F9hcpu.jpg

Jesus christ. Someone put the poor thing out of its misery.
I don't even know why we should compare Robotics;Notes with Steins;Gate. Completly different settings and stories.
They both have semicolons.

Jex

I don't even know why we should compare Robotics;Notes with Steins;Gate. Completly different settings and stories.

Regardless of the story and tone it's another science-fiction story from 5pb that's been adapted into an anime so of course people will draw a comparison between them. It's inevitable.

Erigu

During the stage event, Ichiki was called on to stage, he was not called into any rehearsals or given a script for the event, so he was just told to arrive for a surprise announcement
Even better: from what I've read, he was working on something else on another floor of the same building during the rehearsals, and found out a couple of days later that the other (apparently unrelated) job was actually part of the trap. Yay.

All of this was mostly unknown until a short while ago, when people found a tweet by Kikuchi Hajime (from Eufonius) making fun of Momoi Haruko because she tweeted about being happy that people were karaoke'ing her songs this then made some people check his profile and other tweets, and they noticed a tweet from him about how easy it was to manipulate a certain "someone" because he thinks he can get by in the VA industry with hard work. That certain "someone" being Ichiki.
I've read a bunch of his tweets over the last few days, and that Kikuchi guy really sounds like a complete douche. Awful, awful human being.
Sugita, on the other hand...

So what's going on with Kitamura Eri's Twitter account? I'm seeing people talk about it on Twitter and I feel like I missed something.
4chan idiots are trolling her in retaliation for the Kokoro Connect mess. Never mind the fact she had nothing to do with that.

Jex

Ok for the life of me, I've been trying to figure out why everybody has been complaining about this. Other than the motions being pointless and the magical container that refills and empties itself, what is wrong with the motions in of themselves?

Due to the lighting and the background art it really looks like the character and the background are from too completely different styles of art, with the background looking CG and the character appearing to be 2D. To further add to the unnaturalness of the image the characters moves without any sense of weight of friction, making her appear weightless and unreal. It has no sense of reality to it and appears wholly artificial.

Branduil

You guys are lucky. You got your waifus, your hnngs, your tears of yuri, mono no aware and all the rest. For me, im a more high spiritual person. square to fault. So when i hear that Warners fucked everybody over, im not in the mood. Not in the mood at all.

Words are such sinful things.

Jex

[Eureka Seven AO] - 18

All the major events in this episode were based on something Ao did, but we're never really given any reason to understand what motivated him to act in such a manner in the first place. The character development is completely absent.

Also, lots of pointless fanservice. All in all, not really the shows shinning moment and a rather disappointing follow up to last weeks episode.

Branduil

Accel World 21.

Very nice episode ... The bus .... niko being angry The explanation about the system and the akihabara visit ...

Perfect.

This is the most well placed Ad in an anime by a long shot

Well except for the fact that the more realistic CGI style of the game is horribly out of place in an anime. It looks a bit odd.

So the game will be delayed until 50 years from now?

Nah, it's just so popular that they can never take it out of the arcades.

Which doesn't say much for future Tekken titles I guess.

wonzo

Banned
Mysterious Girlfriend X OVA

Even by this show's standards, this was an incredibly out there and yet incredibly sweet bonus episode of MGX. I really wish they'd make a second season but everything I've read about the manga makes me worried they'd just straight up adapt that and ruin it for me. :(

mgxovad.jpg

Due to the lighting and the background art it really looks like the character and the background are from too completely different styles of art, with the background looking CG and the character appearing to be 2D. To further add to the unnaturalness of the image the characters moves without any sense of weight of friction, making her appear weightless and unreal. It has no sense of reality to it and appears wholly artificial.
Sounds like the perfect fit for Fate/Stay Night!

Gintama 89

This week the animators take a break and don't draw the backgrounds.

A fun episode. First part was facing your inner sword beast and learning your ultimate move so you can use it when you get a fighting game made. Part two was discovering your goddess of victory and aiding her in building her harem.

Pretty unique setups and it was pretty fun for all the jabs at shounens.

Jex

Gintama 89

This week the animators take a break and don't draw the backgrounds.

A fun episode. First part was facing your inner sword beast and learning your ultimate move so you can use it when you get a fighting game made. Part two was discovering your goddess of victory and aiding her in building her harem.

Pretty unique setups and it was pretty fun for all the jabs at shounens.

I keep confusing you for Miri.

Jex

Is there a character more useless than Wako from Star Driver?

As Sugata attempts to seal himself away forever and Takato is fighting to prevent that. Her fucking problem is that she loves two guys too fucking much.

Yes, I'm a brave man. I'm rewatching the show. Aka, just the last and first episode. But that is far too much anyways.

Of course there is. Plenty! Just look at Marina Ismail.

Fairy Tail 146

I feel like Mira talking about running from her past of loss is kind of invalidated by LIsanna being alive....

Anyway, things are moving kind of. This filler arc is really dragging, but at least it seems like it will be over soon.

DiGiKerot

And this is why the market fails in the UK. I understand they have costs to cover but in a world where people expect to pay at most £29.99 for a COMPLETE series asking for triple that is a complete joke. And that's the people who buy packs day one. The general public (and if you want to expand the market you want to target the casual consumer) is the kind of person who waits for the sales and let me tell you seeing anime with a blue ribbon price is rarer than a silver slime in Mt. Moon.

The problem is that the initial costs of producing materials for releasing shows to just the UK is completely out-of-line with the size of the potential market. Blu-Ray is still expensive to master, has high minimum orders quantities, the licensing costs Sony charge per disk-master are still ludicrous, and there's also the mandatory BBFC charges on top of that. The only reason that Kaze gets away with releasing stuff on BD is that they're mastering these releases in France - they're being subsidised by the larger markets in France and other European countries in which Kaze deal. Manga themselves can't really afford it on anything beyond movies at this point because most of the TV releases they flirted with in the past failed to so much as break even.

Also, you're never going to see anime priced at the same level of mainstream TV boxsets, as retail is the primary revenue stream for local distributors (and for the Japanese licensors monetising outside of Japan) , whereas it's a secondary one for mainstream TV. It gives them a lot more flexibility when it comes to pricing, as does the larger market.

But, hey, I think we are getting pretty much the cheapest Madoka Magica BD release in the world, though the rumblings are that it might not hang around the shelves very long...

All the blu-rays in the HMV here are just dumped in one set of blu-rays, so good luck on finding anything!

Huh. Of the two HMVs I go into on a semi-regular basis, one has the anime BDs in with the World Cinema (though it's really 90% anime anyway), and the other has it's own anime subsection. I guess it's down to the local store management rather than dictated centrally. It's not like the UK distributors have any control over that (or the number of copies of a title these stores tend to order, or if they'll order a show at all - the supermarkets weren't even interested in Summer Wars!).

Kazzy

Persona 4 Anime engdub Clip

Chie sounds awful, Yukiko sounds alright, and Yosuke sounds awesome. Ichigo, I mean Yu, will take some getting used too. Oh well 17 more days.

I'm ambivalent towards the new Chie VA, she was fantastic as Erica in Catherine, but I'm after 80+ hours of P4, I will forever associate that character with sounding like a middle-aged woman.

I will probably watch it just for the inevitable Yosuke and Kanji greatness.

sonicmj1

Persona 4 Anime engdub Clip

Chie sounds awful, Yukiko sounds alright, and Yosuke sounds awesome. Ichigo, I mean Yu, will take some getting used too. Oh well 17 more days.

Chie's voice is fine, even if I miss the old VA somewhat.

I like dubs in principle. I've been keeping tabs on the 08th MS Team dub, even though I'm watching it subtitled, because I want to like it. The script feels looser, and as a result, sounds better to me as an English speaker. It's just that some of the voices don't connect.

Remote control mini robot fighting? I'm in.

Show still looks just as good.

Almost every scene in that PV was in the demo for the visual novel. Mini robot fighting didn't seem like it was a primary focus of the plot, just a means to the end of eventually building a working giant robot.

I'm hopeful, but my expectations are starting to slip. I don't think the cast is as strong as Steins;Gate. The protagonist in the demo wasn't someone I could root for the way I got behind Okabe, though his development could change that.

Jex

Somehow I forgot to mention that the level of care and attention but into the background art of Eureka Seven: Ao really exceeded my expectations this week:

ao18backgrounds.png

Poignant.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
How's Ruka's voice? Is it like angels descending down from the heavens?

Pretty good actually. I'd have to say Daru, Kurisu, Mayuri, and Okabe's voice is very very well done. The others are well done. Moeka is .... well... meh.

wonzo

Banned
Accel World 21

accel21.jpg

shit episode

In-game breakdown:

*garbage*
*OP
*more garbage*
08:12 - 14:31: Incarnate system training and infodump. Meh.
*even more garbage*
16:47 - 17:34: More Incarnate training.
*TEKKEN AD*
19:47 - 21:59: ingame furries. not even Accel World is safe from the hosodapocalypse
*meh*
*ED*
*preview*

I honestly can't tell if people dropped it or just can't be bothered to discuss it.
Hey now, I've posted my impressions for pretty much every single episode. :(

Kazzy

Huh. Of the two HMVs I go into on a semi-regular basis, one has the anime BDs in with the World Cinema (though it's really 90% anime anyway), and the other has it's own anime subsection. I guess it's down to the local store management rather than dictated centrally. It's not like the UK distributors have any control over that (or the number of copies of a title these stores tend to order, or if they'll order a show at all - the supermarkets weren't even interested in Summer Wars!).

Which is how it is here.

Even disregarding Anime pricing though, HMV are ridiculously out of sync with how most other retailers stick to the RRP.

I'm ambivalent towards the new Chie VA, she was fantastic as Erica in Catherine, but I'm after 80+ hours of P4, I will forever associate that character with sounding like a middle-aged woman.

I will probably watch it just for the inevitable Yosuke and Kanji greatness.

Play through Arena's story mode and you'll get use to it lol.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
Accel World 21

accel21.jpg

shit episode

In-game breakdown:

*garbage*
*OP
*more garbage*
08:12 - 14:31: Incarnate system training and infodump. Meh.
*even more garbage*
16:47 - 17:34: More Incarnate training.
*TEKKEN AD*
19:47 - 21:59: ingame furries. not even Accel World is safe from the hosodapocalypse
*meh*
*ED*
*preview*

Hey now, I've posted my impressions for pretty much every single episode. :(

I'm SO glad I dropped this show.

people still watching Accel world?

And what happened the past day that boosted this thread a few hundred posts?

good or bad news?

Polar Bear Cafe 22

Mixing up your waifus. Nothing is real!

Jex

At my local HMV the Anime section is adjacent to the Martial Arts section. However, the anime BD's are just mixed in with all the other BD's.

So I Can't H? 7.5

Just when you think they stop making them, a recap episode appears!

I was promised commentary. Like people talking over the scenes and saying what they think about it. Instead, it was more like two people watching the scenes and making brief moments before returning to watch the scene. I shouldn't be able to hear what's actually going on unless they mention that we should listen to it.

So yeah, dud attempt at a commentary. As average as a recap episode can ever be.

Jex

Hyouka ED2 stands out more than all the rest I've seen. I refuse to nominate any OP because while there are a few good ones, none of them really stand out as deserving a "omg da bestest!" mention.

You didn't even mention the Humanity had Declined ED. Shameful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom