• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime Thread Zero: grown men playing with dolls/who but WB Masochism

Status
Not open for further replies.

Necrovex

Revolutionary Girl Utena 24

Untitled_zps97cc4c8d.png

This bloody part was too much for me.

Another recap episode, but I cannot deny this episode was simply hilarious. Poor Tsuwabuki-kun, you should have found a better person to fall in love with.

LordCanti

Genshiken Nidaime 01

Eh...I'm not willing to say the magic is completely gone, but this cast of characters is not as good as the original. I enjoyed all the Bakemonogatari gags though.

Do... they dig up the field and install a pool? Or do they swim in the dirt?

I'm saying it would be cool if they had to win at Koshien to save their swimming club, so they took up baseball and Free! became a baseball anime. I think we all know that baseball anime are superior to swimming anime.

*sees titles for upcoming Doki Doki Precure*

"Shock! MakoP Declares Her Idol Retirement!"
25"Brilliant Transformation! Appearance of A New Heroine!?"
26"What are My True Feelings? Rikka Worries Once Again!"
27"Discovered?! Cure Ace's Weakness!"

One of which will be :SDBurton filled I bet.

EDIT: SUmmaries for each one

Episode 24: Shocking! Makopi quit being an Idol!

While discussing about who the mysterious Cure Ace is, Makoto, now that she's found the princess thinks that her singing doesn't have any meaning left. At that moment, Cure Ace appears and said that she can't feel any love in Makoto's songs now. Makoto decides to retire as a singer.

Episode 25: Gorgeous Transformation! New Heroin appears!?

Want to be useful to Alice, Sebastian used the best of science to create the "Artificial Commune" which let him have the equal power of the Precure. However, the device, by coincidence is now in Mamo's hand. She now plays the role of the mysterious Cutie Madam.

Episode 26: What is her true feeling? Rikka worries again!

Rikka wants to become a doctor just like her monther, but that's just because it's for her mother. It's not really what she really want to do so she was troubled. Then she found the wounded unconsious Ira. She's protected him even while worrying about her action but...

Episode 27: It's been found! Cure Ace's weakness!

Mana and friends found out Cure Ace's unexpected identity. She then talks about her reason for fighting as a precure and the reason why she trained Mana and friends.

Well Guess I was wrong for 26. Right on the mark with the next one, 25 sounds both awesome and yet not what we really needed, but 27 will be a kicker.

Quasar

Continue to work my way through season one of Nodame Cantabile (up to episode 22). I have to say I am loving this. Certainly after so many shows centered around middle/high schoolers this really is a refreshing change for a show about folks in education. And whilst I imagine its nothing like reality this glimpse into classical musicians and their school day lives has been really cool. Especially all the stuff around the Rising Stars Orchestra.

And of course I simply find Nodame-chan adorable. She has a texture that not many of the other characters have, especially Chiaki, who is a prodigy master of instruments, great student conductor, beloved by all the female students, etc, etc. A god among men really.

And the music of course is simply great.

Though I still don't really understand how the musicians read a conductors intent from the baton and how that interacts with a piece of written music that they are following and have repeatedly practiced.

Tenumi

Banned
I think this might be the last show for me tonight....

YuruYuri♪♪: 01

Well, that was Yuri-tastic. I swear Chinatsu's obsession with Yui has been ramped up, but this is only the first episode. I missed these girls...

zeroshiki

I'm saying it would be cool if they had to win at Koshien to save their swimming club, so they took up baseball and Free! became a baseball anime. I think we all know that baseball anime are superior to swimming anime.

Only if its written by Adachi!!

I'm a big big baseball fan but I can only read/watch Adachi stuff.

CorvoSol

Revolutionary Girl Utena 24

Another recap episode, but I cannot deny this episode was simply hilarious. Poor Tsuwabuki-kun, you should have found a better person to fall in love with.

TSU-WA-BU-KI *SNAP*.

Let's be honest now. Tsuwabuki beat up three guys who turned into elephants. Domon Kasshu can snap his fingers and summon God Gundam or the King of Hearts and emulate his Holy Father Super Asia, but Nanami snaps her fingers and summons Tsuwabuki.

zeroshiki

So there have been preview screenings of Kaze Tachinu and the consensus seems to be that if you don't care about the VA, its a beautiful touching story. On the other hand, Anno is so goddamn awful that it apparently takes away from the experience across the board.

Dresden

So there have been preview screenings of Kaze Tachinu and the consensus seems to be that if you don't care about the VA, its a beautiful touching story. On the other hand, Anno is so goddamn awful that it apparently takes away from the experience across the board.

lol, really? Save us Disney!

madp

The Light of El Cantare
In light of Anno apparently shitting up his role, the fact that Disney is extremely unlikely to actively promote their eventual release of Kaze Tachinu might work in its favor. They may go for actual VAs instead of a conspicuously star-studded cast only there for name recognition and for once we may end up with a dub that doesn't detract from or even improves the experience. Perhaps unlikely, but possible.

e: beaten

zeroshiki

lol, really? Save us Disney!

The words used were "emotionless", "bad", "lacking passion", "like reading off a script" etc

I saw the trailer the other day and it really did feel like he was reading >_< I rationalized it away by saying that it was narration and it was supposed to sound like that and maybe somehow I could summon the will to ignore it eventually.

cajunator

Banned
Watamote 1

Tomoko sure is an adorable little misanthrope. Kind of funny having Kyousuke voicing the brother in this too.

She is! Ive watched episode 1 four times already.

Truly he is the Wunderknabe.

Love Lab - 1

This is gonna be my 'cute girls' show for the season.

There's a bit of a snap to this show, I like it.

Its gotten pretty high praise initially. We'll see if it continues but its very promising.

Though I still don't really understand how the musicians read a conductors intent from the baton and how that interacts with a piece of written music that they are following and have repeatedly practiced.

A conductor is responsible for organizing a group of individual musicians into a cohesive whole and giving them a unified artistic vision to be part of. His gestures are what expresses this vision, supplemented by whatever verbal instructions he gives to the orchestra during rehearsals. For some simple examples of how this happens, bigger gestures will make the orchestra play louder while smaller gestures will make them play softer, and fluid gestures will make them play smooth and connected while angular gestures will make them play sharp and detached.

Articalys

The words used were "emotionless", "bad", "lacking passion", "like reading off a script" etc

I saw the trailer the other day and it really did feel like he was reading >_< I rationalized it away by saying that it was narration and it was supposed to sound like that and maybe somehow I could summon the will to ignore it eventually.
Well, this is... disappointing.

I guess this is still reconcilable with Hosoda's "I don't think I have ever or will ever see a movie as good as this" comment though -- he never said anything about how it sounded.

CorvoSol

In light of Anno apparently shitting up his role, the fact that Disney is extremely unlikely to actively promote their eventual release of Kaze Tachinu might work in its favor. They may go for actual VAs instead of a conspicuously star-studded cast only there for name recognition and for once we may end up with a dub that doesn't detract from or even improves the experience. Perhaps unlikely, but possible.

Christian Bale made an excellent Howl, though.

Tenumi

Banned
Well Guess I was wrong for 26. Right on the mark with the next one, 25 sounds both awesome and yet not what we really needed, but 27 will be a kicker.

Something about that summary makes me laugh and cringe at the same time.
I want Cure Sebastian!

zeroshiki

Will Disney even release this movie in the West? I'm not sure how this movie will be received in America or especially Korea, China and the rest of Asia. Its gonna be about glorious Nippon and how that one dude invented the Japanese fighter planes used in WW2 right?

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Continue to work my way through season one of Nodame Cantabile (up to episode 22). I have to say I am loving this. Certainly after so many shows centered around middle/high schoolers this really is a refreshing change for a show about folks in education. And whilst I imagine its nothing like reality this glimpse into classical musicians and their school day lives has been really cool. Especially all the stuff around the Rising Stars Orchestra.

And of course I simply find Nodame-chan adorable. She has a texture that not many of the other characters have, especially Chiaki, who is a prodigy master of instruments, great student conductor, beloved by all the female students, etc, etc. A god among men really.

And the music of course is simply great.

It truly is a great anime! :D

Will Disney even release this movie in the West? I'm not sure how this movie will be received in America or especially Korea, China and the rest of Asia. Its gonna be about glorious Nippon and how that one dude invented the Japanese fighter planes used in WW2 right?

Miyazaki said he has no interest in talking about the war. It'll be a personal drama, not a nationalist ode.

Necrovex

TSU-WA-BU-KI *SNAP*.

Let's be honest now. Tsuwabuki beat up three guys who turned into elephants. Domon Kasshu can snap his fingers and summon God Gundam or the King of Hearts and emulate his Holy Father Super Asia, but Nanami snaps her fingers and summons Tsuwabuki.

Dear Lord, you're right. Nanami has too much power. She has to be stopped!

Toriko Episode 109 Legendary Bee, Infinibee! Toriko vs. New-Style GT Robot!
tumblr_mpqzcpWxEu1qbxqfpo1_500.png

Explosive episode but it took too long to get to the good stuff that time ran out :(. Yuu is incredible and so far fouth best among gourmet corp (Ootake, Bogey, Starjun before him). But in terms of a good personality he has been alright, honest to toriko and kind of funny.
the reveal that he was the one to knock komatsu out in the ice place was mindblowing, final mystery revealed

New ED is awful.

CorvoSol

Dear Lord, you're right. Nanami has too much power. She has to be stopped!

No one can stop her. Not as long as she has Tsuwabuki.

Howls is probably my least favorite of Miyazaki's movies. I know he didnt originally come up with the project though.

Well I thought it was a charming love story with an adorable fireball.

My favorite is Castle in the Sky.

Villainous Mark Hamill <3

That one was pretty good, too.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I really liked the English dub of Howl's Moving Castle.

But I also think Howl's Moving Castle is the best Miyazaki movie.

That's certainly an, erm, unorthodox choice for favorite.

Whatever fulfills the minimum of their contractual obligation, I imagine. If it gets a theatrical release, it'll be a NY/LA deal.

cajunator

Banned
No one can stop her. Not as long as she has Tsuwabuki.

Well I thought it was a charming love story with an adorable fireball.

That one was pretty good, too.

It was charming, just charmed me the least of all his movies. Its still better than most other movies.
miyazaki just has done so much better.

Toriko Episode 109 Legendary Bee, Infinibee! Toriko vs. New-Style GT Robot!
tumblr_mpqzcpWxEu1qbxqfpo1_500.png

Explosive episode but it took too long to get to the good stuff that time ran out :(. Yuu is incredible and so far fouth best among gourmet corp (Ootake, Bogey, Starjun before him). But in terms of a good personality he has been alright, honest to toriko and kind of funny.
the reveal that he was the one to knock komatsu out in the ice place was mindblowing, final mystery revealed

New ED is awful.

Holy crap, I couldn't even watch the rest of that video because of that song. The new OP for the show is spectacular, but this ED is really terrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom