• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime Thread Zero: grown men playing with dolls/who but WB Masochism

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sailor Moon 43

3JwzT.jpg

"I'm no longer a Sailor Scout, please let me join the Dark Kingdom. Also fuck you Rei". The episode. Greatest Preview ever.

Syrinx

I caught my sister filing through my drawers tonight and she'd already found two K-On bikini gashapons. If you don't hear from me tomorrow, I'm probably in jail.

Why's she sifting through your shit like that?

Incidentally I think my brother may have discovered my Sailor Moon manga last night. Was putting volume 1, which I was rereading back in the box for the first box set, and then he came into the room. I tried to hide it and he didn't say anything about it, we were just talking about the baseball game on TV, but I can't be sure. I've since moved it to a new location just in case.

Still, I'd rather him discover something like that than something like your sister found (though I don't have stuff like that, so that's not an issue). So...yeah, I hope this doesn't become a larger issue.

Sailor Moon 44

HERE IT IS, the explicit version of what happened to Moon People, pasts regained, and new powers have been recieved, we also found out where their bases are loaded. We're in a 2 part season finale coming up!

Unrelated:
I don't know what Pol Pot is, although it sounds familiar

Gundam AGE 15

After the first few episodes, I felt like watching through the first generation before posting more impressions. I'm pretty torn on a lot of things that transpired, so I feel like writing my thoughts will help. They certainly draw a lot from UC, but I was surprised how they ended things. Normally these sort of narratives are all about breaking the cycle of hatred. It's one thing when that goal is not achieved but still on the horizon, and it's something out of left field when the protagonists actually contribute to the cycle as the narrative arc concludes. So, I liked how things took a
dark turn
in the end, but I still have qualms. Namely, a lot of characters felt underdeveloped.

Flit was a very uninteresting lead for the most part. There was never any down time to pick his brain; it was always 'Gundam this, UE that.' And the one time he isn't one-track minded, it ends up just being a short montage of stills with Yurin. I can appreciate the aforementioned
dark turn leaving him a battered soul
as the arc comes to a close, since that actually made for some character development, and hey, at least he's not Shinn.

Yurin was pretty sweet, I guess. Her character arc was totally predictable, but I did appreciate her
death scene and the way she started to become scared as the protective glass began to crack
. I really wanted more from Emily. I wanted her to take on a more active role rather than hide in the background whenever Flit got emotional. The way things were left off, I'm surprised they
end up together

My other big qualm were the villains. It's like the second season of SAO; you can make the villains as sinister and hate-able as you want, but I can't appreciate their villainy without some depth. Don't just give me an info-dump at the climax. I liked that Grudek was different from the typical ship captains, even if he wasn't particularly endearing. The only character I genuinely liked was Woolfe; he was a G.

tl;dr - I liked the fights, the Gundam variations, and the
dark twist
, but had greater aspirations for the characters. I'm now debating whether to jump into the second generation or to put it on the back-burner while I check out Maou-sama.

Just finished seeing that Final Fantasy 7 Last Order for the first time.

Thought the animation was really well done and the Cloud x Tifa scene was an overload of "awww" for my dear heart.

CorvoSol

She calls them her retirement grease.

Gundam AGE 15

After the first few episodes, I felt like watching through the first generation before posting more impressions. I'm pretty torn on a lot of things that transpired, so I feel like writing my thoughts will help. They certainly draw a lot from UC, but I was surprised how they ended things. Normally these sort of narratives are all about breaking the cycle of hatred. It's one thing when that goal is not achieved but still on the horizon, and it's something out of left field when the protagonists actually contribute to the cycle as the narrative arc concludes. So, I liked how things took a
dark turn
in the end, but I still have qualms. Namely, a lot of characters felt underdeveloped.

Flit was a very uninteresting lead for the most part. There was never any down time to pick his brain; it was always 'Gundam this, UE that.' And the one time he isn't one-track minded, it ends up just being a short montage of stills with Yurin. I can appreciate the aforementioned
dark turn leaving him a battered soul
as the arc comes to a close, since that actually made for some character development, and hey, at least he's not Shinn.

Yurin was pretty sweet, I guess. Her character arc was totally predictable, but I did appreciate her
death scene and the way she started to become scared as the protective glass began to crack
. I really wanted more from Emily. I wanted her to take on a more active role rather than hide in the background whenever Flit got emotional. The way things were left off, I'm surprised they
end up together

My other big qualm were the villains. It's like the second season of SAO; you can make the villains as sinister and hate-able as you want, but I can't appreciate their villainy without some depth. Don't just give me an info-dump at the climax. I liked that Grudek was different from the typical ship captains, even if he wasn't particularly endearing. The only character I genuinely liked was Woolfe; he was a G.

dark twist
, but had greater aspirations for the characters. I'm now debating whether to jump into the second generation or to put it on the back-burner while I check out Maou-sama.

Second arc is okay, and the stuff about being a Super Pilot is the best the show gets, with one brief, final flicker of hope in the third arc. I hated Yurin's final
scenes prior to her death
because she's just a glorified Barbie doll and symbol of the way that this show will treat women ever after.

Seriously, women serve two purposes in Gundam AGE and two alone: To be fucked by an Asuno, or to be killed by one. Only middle ground is to be brow-beaten by an Asuno.

Narag

Gundam AGE 15
dark twist

Second generation is the best part and has probably the most character development due to Asemu and Zeheart's interaction. The problem with the first generation (and the show as a whole) is they advance so fast in an attempt to hit what would be high points in a full length series that's been condensed to a dozen episodes or so. If you continue, do pay attention to Flit, how he handles things this gen, and his body language. It seemed like so much of the show suffered for the sake of defining the Asuno family.

Seriously, women serve two purposes in Gundam AGE and two alone: To be fucked by an Asuno, or to be killed by one. Only middle ground is to be brow-beaten by an Asuno.

This is unfortunately true. :(

CorvoSol

Second generation is the best part and has probably the most character development due to Asemu and Zeheart's interaction. The problem with the first generation (and the show as a whole) is they advance so fast in an attempt to hit what would be high points in a full length series that's been condensed to a dozen episodes or so. If you continue, do pay attention to Flit, how he handles things this gen, and his body language. It seemed like so much of the show suffered for the sake of defining the Asuno family.

This is unfortunately true. :(

My problem with Asemu and Zeheart, though, is that
their entire friendship is based around a montage. We don't see them actually become friends, because everything is all super condensed. And then Zeheart takes a nosedive in the third arc.

Narag

My problem with Asemu and Zeheart, though, is that
their entire friendship is based around a montage. We don't see them actually become friends, because everything is all super condensed. And then Zeheart takes a nosedive in the third arc.

The school stuff really deserved to be fleshed out. And yes, it's criminal how he's handled later.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
dis shit is the real deal yo (shame its a 4koma)
Oh, I've read it, but there's only one and a half chapters.

I would rather have some Moringa Milk if they had to troll for a yuri manga to turn into a pander anime. lol

(Hiyori Otsu and Takamura Jin's stories are probably too short, unfortunately!)

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
MJP 14

Holy fuck this was awesome.

Series went from a mecha series into a shounen series. But an awesome one. That was fucking fantastic. If only the whole show was this good.

CorvoSol

The school stuff really deserved to be fleshed out. And yes, it's criminal how he's handled later.

By contrast, Asemu's relationship with Woolf and Dique's daughter was pretty good, and the Super Pilot stuff was endearing, since I was so tired of hearing "X-Rounder" at that point.

Poor kayos. The dude's hardly the only dude out there who doesn't know who Pol Pot was.

There's a lot of dictators (and common knowledge in general) I don't know. Point is, this is the internet. If I want to be part of a discussion and I see an unfamiliar term/name/whatever, I wiki/google it.

CorvoSol

I still can't believe they used that name.

Was it really any worse than Innovator/Innovade, though? X-Rounder gets said a LOT more (Innovator/Innovade being a piece of bullshit they don't explain until the movie and only hint at in like, the last three episodes of S2), but both were like the most awful versions of Newtypes ever.

Narag

Was it really any worse than Innovator/Innovade, though? X-Rounder gets said a LOT more (Innovator/Innovade being a piece of bullshit they don't explain until the movie and only hint at in like, the last three episodes of S2), but both were like the most awful versions of Newtypes ever.

They were both their own version of terrible that was pushed too hard.

zeroshiki

SEED has that fancy flash thingy that they parodied in Fumoffu and the badass eyes. Innovator couldn't do any better than making the eyes yellow.

CorvoSol

They were both their own version of terrible that was pushed too hard.

Fair enough.

SEED has that fancy flash thingy that they parodied in Fumoffu and the badass eyes. Innovator couldn't do any better than making the eyes yellow.

SEED Mode is flashy and fancy in a good way, though. SEED is the FFX of Gundam shows. It's supposed to be flashy popcorn teenage stuff.

And Shinji goin' SEED mode via the power of panties on his way to spy naked ladies in Fumoffu was like, the best episode in Fumoffu.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Wait, that was intentional and not just them just clumsily zooming out from a low-resolution image? Because that's Toei's specialty.
Tamers has this thing where the Digimen are jumping from the video game into the real world and there's a secret organisation that doesn't want that to happen because they are jerks. :(

zeroshiki

And Shinji goin' SEED mode via the power of panties on his way to spy naked ladies in Fumoffu was like, the best episode in Fumoffu.

YES. Too bad that episode had Tessa in it. Would have been the greatest episode otherwise. Alas, the "fight" with the judo club is still my favorite.

zeroshiki

You're like the first person I've met who doesn't like Tessa, let alone like her more than Kaname.

You must not have met mAcOdIn yet. In fact, this conversation will probably summon him to the thread. FMP and especially Tessa always brings him to the thread.

I thought Tessa was vapid and her "character" and place in the series was always pretty stupid. How do you become a ship captain by 16? Kaname has way more character than her.

So I had 75 dollars worth of gift cards and decided to buy all 9 seasons of DBZ. Cost me 60 dollars out of pocket. Im very excited about it I have always wanted to own these. Now I just need to get the movies and the original Dragon Ball.

CorvoSol

Megas XLR 104

This was a really fun episode. I especially enjoy the throwaway sight gags, like "PopTV" being MTV, or the Conveniently Empty Building or Shrapnel and Gun powder depot. The end credits are always nice like this, too, with us finally seeing Kiva lighten up a bit playing DDR. Speaking of, Megas' manual mode being DDR with the accompanying engrish was funny, too. Jamie pointing out that they'd entered a giant robot into an auto show was good, but took second place to the fact that everyone in Jersey is okay with giant robots and also space aliens and time travelers. Which they should be. It IS Jersey, after all.

You must not have met mAcOdIn yet. In fact, this conversation will probably summon him to the thread. FMP and especially Tessa always brings him to the thread.

I thought Tessa was vapid and her "character" and place in the series was always pretty stupid. How do you become a ship captain by 16? Kaname has way more character than her.

I think Tessa does a better job when her character is focused on being captain and not being Sousuke's love interest. In Sigma
her downward spiral as she struggles to keep herself and the last remnants of Mythril together is especially good, since Tessa shows signs of what being a child soldier should be doing to her.
On the other hand, I really prefer Kaname WITH Sousuke, since their interactions are the heart and soul of the series. It isn't until The Second Raid and Sigma we even see Kaname without Sousuke.

Mao is best girl because she's awesome whether they tease her and Sousuke or not.
And that moment where Sousuke offers to have sex with her is still the best cliffhanger in Sigma.

Articalys

In other random news, this year's 2ch Saimoe is not only starting way late, but also apparently made really stupid changes to the ruleset.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
So I had 75 dollars worth of gift cards and decided to buy all 9 seasons of DBZ. Cost me 60 dollars out of pocket. Im very excited about it I have always wanted to own these. Now I just need to get the movies and the original Dragon Ball.
I like how people don't even wanna bother with GT. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom