• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime Thread Zero: grown men playing with dolls/who but WB Masochism

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sailor Moon 46 END

EVERYONE DIES and then we had a reset button from the beginning of the series. This wasn't a thing in Precure ;-; It's too bitter sweet, Rei never even kissed Shrine Boy, Ami didn't do the dew with that Youma guy.

Well there we go, the first season of Sailor Moon in about 12-ish days. Well that was a sexier than Cartoon Network made you believe show. A time where Toei didn't do too much actual fighting animation for anything not called Dragonball Z, we had Sailor Scouts and DORAMA and asscheeks.

Usagi, frankly, she was annoying, and yet grew on me because her antics were rather hilarious, Rei is Rei, Ami is Ami, Mako is pretty (tall) Makino was... not entirely what I expected. Why so bittersweet, why. Whhhhy. Why, it's not faaair, DAMMIT CHILDRENS SHOWS, GOING ABOVE MY EXPECTATIONS! WHY! Dammit, this is painful.

Good first season despite this.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Watamote 3

Her bitching about her lost umbrella sure hit home
ibhMWFcRbJGoDV.gif

Watamote 3

What Narag said.

;_;

wonzo

Banned
Oh, I've read it, but there's only one and a half chapters.

I would rather have some Moringa Milk if they had to troll for a yuri manga to turn into a pander anime. lol

(Hiyori Otsu and Takamura Jin's stories are probably too short, unfortunately!)
Now I want some Honey & Honey flash shorts. :(

This would be the real deal.

Pity the author stalled it, ironic being the only good, non-hentai series he has done.
Well, it takes far more effort to trace animated stuff~

Mature

Detective Conan - 702 - The Jet-Black Mystery Train (Tunnel)
Wow! Run Ai...
Though he's probably going to end up helping you.

This is some grade A heavy plot. All the players are here, including Scar Akai by the looks of it. There's so many questions I have— especially regarding Sera, Amuro, and Subaru. It's been hinted at that they're working together, but was that Vermouth with Subaru? Has she gone full rogue from the BO? But then why is she feeding information back to Gin and Vodka? Perhaps Subaru truly is Bourbon and he just works for Vermouth in the same way Vodka does for Gin and in that sense they're both backhandedly helping Conan and Ai.

Gah, I'm going back and rewatching this arc's episodes.

Couldn't be more ready for next week.

CorvoSol

Astral Ocean 21

The following contains some rampant usage of capitalization. As I recognize that this offends those of you with more delicate stomachs, it is spoilered so that you do not have to read it. Highlight at your own discretion. You have been warned.

Hey. HEY. HEY. You know what is worse than SHITTY CG MECHA/CARS/AIRPLANES/SUBMARINES/BASICALLY FUCK SHITTY CGI? When you have TWO SHITTY CG AIRPLANES FLYING NEXT TO A HAND DRAWN ONE. I mean WHAT IN THE BLUE FUCK EVEN MADE YOU THINK THAT NO ONE WOULD NOTICE THAT OR THAT SOMEONE WOULD BE OKAY WITH IT.

Elena's tantrum in this episode is the idiotic cap on a trite character arc. At least her VA sounds cute. That's all I got left for this shit.

duckroll

According to the Famitsu interview with the creators, Kamikaze Douga will be handling the animation for the Short Peace game tie-in Ranko Tsukigime's Longest Day. Pretty cool. CG forever! Etc.

Sailor Moon Rough 47

And thus we're back
to the beginning with relationships, although we do see everyone faster,. Only Sailor Moon is here for now, with painful memories and all.

MOTHERFUCKING ALIENS AND FAKE INCEST I WANT THE LOLI NOW.

CorvoSol

The Devil is a Part Timer 11

So, where to begin? First, Olba is just about the most effed up Priest like, ever. I mean what kind of dude
raises his own child to be an assassin for the Church? That's some Ivalice nonsense, there.
And what gets me is that while what Chiho says is technically true within the context of what we've seen in the series, and Maou really does seem like a nice, laid back guy,
he also started a war that ended in the deaths and enslavement of untold lives, human and otherwise, and as the Lord and Commander of the aggressor forces, is personally accountable for what he did. He even flippantly mentions to Emi that he never considered how much havoc he was wreaking.
It's very easy to see Chiho's side of things over Suzuno or Emi's, because Chiho's view of things is essentially the one that the audience has been given to work with. However, Emi's and Suzuno's hatred of Maou is no less justified, because
his actions ruined their lives, depriving them of any normalcy. More directly in Emi's case than Suzuno's, but still.
What Maou did to them is no less real or evil than what he's done for Chiho being good. The funny thing is that the only side of this we really haven't heard, save it be in passing, is
Maou's. What were his motives for starting the war?

At the same time, we get a bit of idealism vs realism in Suzuno's view of things versus Emi's. Emi, being the
storybook heroine, and having lead the fairy tale hero life, looks at things in terms of challenges she can surmount. Her whole life has been a fantastic, heroic story full of points where she has had to do the impossible and so on.
Suzuno, on the other hand,
being an assassin for a Corrupt Church in a world where corrupt priests can bargain fallen angels back into Heaven, has seen nothing but the stark reality of life on Ente Isla, and has made numerous sacrifices, or been told she is making them, for the sake of maintaining order and life on Ente Isla.
So it makes sense that Emi would see Maou as
a challenge to overcome
while Suzuno views him as
a sacrifice to be made for "the greater good."

I'll be honest, when I started watching this show, I wasn't expecting to be able to say that much about the characters, but they've done a decent job of building this up and making the motivations of the characters involved understandable enough. The lynchpin of the whole thing, as far as I'm concerned, is still
Maou's motivations for what he did. It's either a Huge Misunderstanding or Maou has basically been doing some atoning here on Earth.

Articalys

Spring 2013 Preliminary First Volume Sales

65,465 *3 Uta no Prince-sama Maji Love 2000% [DVD+BD]: 2013/06/26
56,793 *1 Shingeki no Kyojin [DVD+BD]: 2013/07/17
20,492 *4 Ore no Imouto ga Konna ni Kawaii Wake ga Nai. [DVD+BD]: 2013/06/19
13,702 *2 Hatarakou Maou-sama! [DVD+BD]: 2013/07/03
11,960 *3 Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Come wa Machigatteiru. [DVD+BD]: 2013/06/26
*9,878 *3 Date A Live [DVD+BD]: 2013/06/28
*8,906 *3 Karneval [DVD+BD]: 2013/05/28
*8,295 *2 Kakumeiki Valvrave [DVD+BD]: 2013/06/26
*5,787 *2 Hentai Ouji to Warawanai Neko. [DVD+BD]: 2013/06/26
*5,072 *3 Haiyore! Nyaruko-san W [DVD+BD]: 2013/05/31
*4,162 *2 Yondemasu yo, Azazel-san. Z [DVD+BD]: 2013/06/05
*4,007 *2 Namiuchigiwa no Muromi-san [DVD+BD]: 2013/06/26
*3,960 *1 Devil Survivor 2 [DVD+BD]: 2013/06/19
*3,874 *2 Ginga Kikoutai Majestic Prince [DVD+BD]: 2013/06/21
*2,813 *3 Yuyushiki [DVD+BD]: 2013/05/29
*1,915 *1 RDG Red Data Girl [DVD+BD]: 2013/06/28
*1,596 *1 Hyakka Ryouran Samurai Bride [DVD+BD]: 2013/06/26
*1,403 *1 Photokano [DVD+BD]: 2013/06/28
**,696 *1 Hayate no Gotoku! Cuties [DVD+BD]: 2013/06/26
**,346 *1 Dansai Bunri no Crime Edge [DVD+BD]: 2013/06/19

**,*** *0 Arata Kangatari [DVD+BD]: 2013/06/21

------------------------------

So yeah, massively overestimated by the Amazon stalker points. Split is 37,339 Blu-ray and 19,454 DVD.

Do note that while the w1 total for SnK vol.1 didn't beat UtaPri's to-date total, it did beat its w1 total (54,460), making it the best first week debut for Spring so far.

Kazzy

...you know what, fine. Let's do this just to kill some time while I'm thinking of actual questions for the main survey. I'll even leave it open for lurkers this time.

AnimeGAF Survey - SPECIAL CHET EDITION

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1L4QMO5oK8tH8SBai_MvJMK8yiHr4dX49NFEHYd8tlVc/viewform

I'll give this about a day to gather responses and post them sometime tomorrow.

I might actually be around to complete a survey for once!

Wait a minute...

Idontknowwhatiwasexpecting.

Sailor Moon Rough 48

And now we're back to normal with freaky alien girls going for the mammeries. Don't want to deal with these two right now. Want more drama.

CorvoSol

Mega Man Sins 11

So this episode is mostly about Rush as Zero is sleeping beneath the Angel Remiel. We meet Dynamo, who is kinda pretending he's Moses and is leading the humans and reploids alike to find the Promised Land. Some people wanna KCDC, but Zero ain't gonna have none of that and smacks their faces into the ground. Also some really weird stuff about BLOOD at the beginning.

JordanN

Banned
Majestic Prince: Episode 1 to uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
The dialogue of the show comes straight out of a cereal box. Words can't say it's terrible but you can't say it's good either. Which is a shame since it looks like alot of work went into making it but the execution is so.... lacking. Only redeeming factors are the artstyle is surprisingly addictive. The switch from "traditional anime" faces to cartoon-like expressions is likeable (or adorable?). And there's fanservice but the show feels so hollow like you're watching nothing most of the time. Think I'm going to be bailing out soon.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Majestic Prince: Episode 1 to uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

The dialogue of the show comes straight out of a cereal box.
What kind of dialogue does one keep in a cereal box? Is it Alpha-Bits?

madp

The Light of El Cantare
My Cheerios always said OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. I think they're made out of ghosts; science has known for decades anyway that ectoplasm reduces cholesterol.

JordanN

Banned
What kind of dialogue does one keep in a cereal box? Is it Alpha-Bits?
I imagine it to be one of those "surprise toy in every box". Basically generic stuff that's meant to provide cheap entertainment.

But Alpha bits will also do.

sonicmj1

You must not have met mAcOdIn yet. In fact, this conversation will probably summon him to the thread. FMP and especially Tessa always brings him to the thread.

I thought Tessa was vapid and her "character" and place in the series was always pretty stupid. How do you become a ship captain by 16? Kaname has way more character than her.

Kaname Chidori fan club represent.

Whats so bad about the gif? People dont like Hanji? I thought it was one of the best gifts I encountered of him on tumblr tonight. It brought him out well.

Dude, Hanji's a chick.

iMVoyBwYxGrId.jpg

duckroll

Remember the BushiRoad anime? No? Well it was some ancient crossmedia mecha anime project involving a ton of companies including Gainax at the time which never got made. Instead the company formed for the project ended up doing merchandising and shit in the industry for the past decade. Well, now it's BACK!

Neppu Kairiku BishiRoad

Concept/Chief Supervisor: Takaaki Kidani
Original Work: Sunao Yoshida
Director: Masayuki Sakoi
Script: Norimitsu Kaiho
Character Design: Sinov Mimori/Mai Toda
Main Mecha Design: Niθ
Production Committee: BishiRoad/Bandai Visual/Kinema Citrus/Nitroplus

Looks like Kinema Citrus is going to be behind this. After Code:Breaker and Yuyushiki, I'm sure they'll do a good job with a mecha show. :)

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Now I know why The World God Only Knows isn't listed on CRs front page with the rest of the simulcasts.

Articalys

something has the list:
Code:
2013 07/15~07/21 Anime BD List
*1 (***)	---	37,339	37,339	**1	Shingeki no Kyojin v1
*3 (***)	---	*8,787	*8,787	**1	Porco Rosso
*5 (***)	---	*3,036	*3,036	**1	Saki Achiga-hen episode of side-A v9
*7 (***)	---	*2,745	*2,745	**1	Tamako Market v5
*8 (***)	---	*2,067	*2,067	**1	Maoyuu Maou Yuusha v5
*9 (***)	---	*1,488	*1,488	**1	Devil Survivor 2 The Animation v2
10 (***)	*13	*1,249	50,578	**4	ONE PIECE Film Z LE
Code:
2013 07/15~07/21 Anime DVD List
*1 (***)	---	19,454	*,*19,454	**1	Shingeki no Kyojin v1
*3 (***)	**6	*3,443	*,**3,443	**4	ONE PIECE Film Z RE
*5 (***)	*33	*1,875	1,197,056	604	My Neighbor Totoro
*6 (***)	*13	*1,809	*,*56,294	**4	ONE PIECE Film Z LE
*8 (***)	**4	*1,417	*,**8,257	**2	Initial D Fifth Stage v7 
*9 (***)	*72	**,987	*,508,100	550	Kiki's Delivery Service
11 (***)	*92	**,853	*,354,139	353	Princess Mononoke
12 (***)	---	**,844	*,***,844	**1	Devil Survivor 2 The Animation v2
17 (***)	*53	**,743	*,171,126	*13	Evangelion Shin Gekijouban: Q (Evangelion 3.33) 
18 (***)	---	**,724	*,767,381	539	Castle in the Sky
23 (***)	*70	**,595	*,121,603	117	Whisper of the Heart
24 (***)	---	**,576	2,382,833	415	Spirited Away
26 (***)	---	**,515	*,656,263	375	Nausicca of the Valley of the Wind
28 (***)	---	**,453	*,***,453	**1	Tamako Market v5
29 (***)	---	**,439	*,190,493	216	Porco Rosso
30 (***)	---	**,438	*,***,438	**1	Cardfight!! Vanguard Link Joker-hen v2

wonzo

Banned
Remember the BushiRoad anime? No? Well it was some ancient crossmedia mecha anime project involving a ton of companies including Gainax at the time which never got made. Instead the company formed for the project ended up doing merchandising and shit in the industry for the past decade. Well, now it's BACK!

Neppu Kairiku BishiRoad

Looks like Kinema Citrus is going to be behind this. After Code:Breaker and Yuyushiki, I'm sure they'll do a good job with a mecha show. :)
kinema citrus
bow.gif

Cashew Sins 11

The adventures of Friender. Also saying that you should eat Cashews will only make him kill you faster. But hey, sensibility with people.

Also animation for FIGHTING!

CorvoSol

My Cheerios always said OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. I think they're made out of ghosts; science has known for decades anyway that ectoplasm reduces cholesterol.

Or they're just minor characters on the Regular Show.

Neppu Kairiku BishiRoad

Health levels rising.

Erigu

As a pretty obvious joke.
Didn't sound like a joke to me?
I think (<- speculation) that he meant for the character to be female, but some readers thought she was male, and he decided not to specify the character's gender for the benefit of those readers.
(Quite recently, at an event, dôjinshi authors were asked to always specify which gender their version of Hanji was.)

that wiki said:
However, the anime has explicitly shown Hanji to be female, and she uses feminine pronouns.
Well, I don't know what they're talking about.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol

Super glad to see Maou-sama do so well. Hope this means a second season. Henneko and Muromi-san seem to have done fairly well too, which is nice. Though I probably wouldn't expect a second season out of either (as much as I'd love to see both, though I think in the case of Henneko, OVAs are more likely since the anime adapted 5 of the 7 LNs).

fertygo

Neppu Kairiku BishiRoad

Main Mecha Design: Ni&#952;

Is this the one with cyberpunk sengoku setting and Masamune Date as protag?

Super glad to see Maou-sama do so well. Hope this means a second season. Henneko and Muromi-san seem to have done fairly well too, which is nice. Though I probably wouldn't expect a second season out of either (as much as I'd love to see both, though I think in the case of Henneko, OVAs are more likely since the anime adapted 5 of the 7 LNs).

I think season two for Maou was already confirmed.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Watashi ga Motenai no wa Dou Kangaetemo Omaera ga Warui!/Watamote Episode 3: Well, this is quickly becoming my hatewatch title for the season now that Attack on Titan decided to find decent pacing for the moment. That being said, this is by far my favorite episode,
mainly because Tomoko and her tedious whining got nice solid roundhouse kick to the mid-section and I like it when characters I hate end up in pain.
That being said from an objective perspective Tomoki is an irredeemable asshole and a shitheel of a brother not only for his actions but he shows not sympathies as a sibling. I suspect whomever wrote this tripe was an only child.

Erigu

Watashi ga Motenai no wa Dou Kangaetemo Omaera ga Warui!/Watamote Episode 3: Well, this is quickly becoming my hatewatch title for the season now that Attack on Titan decided to find decent pacing for the moment. That being said, this is by far my favorite episode,
mainly because Tomoko and her tedious whining got nice solid roundhouse kick to the mid-section and I like it when characters I hate end up in pain.
That being said from an objective perspective Tomoki is an irredeemable asshole and a shitheel of a brother not only for his actions but he shows not sympathies as a sibling. I suspect whomever wrote this tripe was an only child.
Er. I'm pretty sure the author and the staff of the TV series are well aware of the characters' flaws. One could even say "that's the joke".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom