• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime Thread Zero: grown men playing with dolls/who but WB Masochism

Status
Not open for further replies.

CorvoSol

*shrugs* I thought it was realistic

I don't know what real is anymore.

Really if the show has that kind of aim from the beginning it would make at least some sense but with this ...really don't understand. It's like they switched the author in the middle point of the series. it just goes so much against the general feel of the show. Definitely the most absurd ending I have ever seen in any medium. Just ....I definitely should have listened the warnings. Makes me almost little depressed. Fuck this.

The good news is you only found out after seeing the anime. So do like everyone and pretend there never was a manga.

I couldn't agree with you more. It was such a great heartfelt series.
Alright, I hopped on the skip to the ending train and wow that certainly was something.
Though I can't imagine it was an unnatural plot twist so I'm more curious to read the manga to see how it actually developed.

It happens poorly. Everything I've read makes it clear that the writing falls and suffers. I mean they reveal
Rin isn't Souichi's daughter. Why would Masako keep that a secret from Daikichi for YEARS? Even being the selfish, immature woman she is, it makes no sense.

For whoever was wondering, I do not have man boobs. I'm like 6'1" and like 150 lbs.

I have definitely wondered this all of my life. Yeah.

Kagami

Really if the show has that kind of aim from the beginning it would make at least some sense but with this ...really don't understand. It's like they switched the author in the middle point of the series. it just goes so much against the general feel of the show. Definitely the most absurd ending I have ever seen in any medium. Just ....I definitely should have listened the warnings. Makes me almost little depressed. Fuck this.
It was foreshadowed way back at the beginning when Rin rejects Daikichi's idea of officially adopting her as his daughter. A very similar scene exists near the beginning of Kodomo no Jikan, when an adolescent boy rejects becoming his guardian's adopted son because that would mean he couldn't marry her.

It's probably worth keeping in mind that Usagi Drop is written by a woman for women and ran in a women's magazine. I doubt men reading it and thinking of themselves in Daikichi's place was a big thought on the author's mind. More likely it was expected that readers would relate to Rin, for whom Daikichi is a trustworthy, reliable, mature man who proves himself over a number of years--a "real"-flavored but still idealized fantasy mate that readers of the magazine could feel is totally possible to find and marry in real life.

Articalys

Right then, here's the new music sales for last week:

New CD Single
*4, 16,078 *16,078 Senki Zesshou Symphogear G Character Song 1 "Fushichou no Flamme"
*6, 15,487 *15,487 Free! OP "Rage on"
20, *3,094 **3,094 Ro-Kyu-Bu! SS Character Songs 01 Minato Tomoka "Junjou Generation"
23, *2,709 **2,709 Haiyore! Nyaruko-san W Ending Songs Series 3 "Ai Crusader†Striver / Yuggoth yori no Shisha"
31, *1,973 **1,973 Highschool DxD New OP "Sympathy"
45, *1,376 **1,376 Inu to Hasami wa Tsukaiyou OP "WanWanWanWan N_1!!"

New CD Album
26, 4,074 *4,074 Yuyushiki Character Songs Album "Ichigenme!"
33, 3,117 *3,117 Kaze Tachinu Soundtrack
52, 1,694 *1,694 Dokidoki! Precure Vocal Album 1 "Jump up, Girls!"
54, 1,602 *1,602 Yuyushiki Original Soundtrack "Feeling good (nice) wind"

Also, the Attack on Titan OP 1&2 single is up to 158,857 total and the OST is at 33,141.

The good news is you only found out after seeing the anime. So do like everyone and pretend there never was a manga.
Yeah. Would have totally ruined the anime if I had heard about the ending beforehand. Luckily I am going drinking this weekend so maybe I really will forget the existence of manga....

It happens poorly. Everything I've read makes it clear that the writing falls and suffers. I mean they reveal
Rin isn't Souichi's daughter. Why would Masako keep that a secret from Daikichi for YEARS? Even being the selfish, immature woman she is, it makes no sense.

wonderful...

Thanks for saving me a bunch of time!

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I guess I'll just go ahead and post the thing. If enough people hate the title, I can always ask a mod to change it.

Too early. Sadly I might miss it if I go to bed though. :(

3102X

Syrinx

Cardcaptor Sakura 39

Oh fucking shit, I just now noticed that the picture of Nadeshiko on the table changes. I feel like I should have noticed this way earlier, but damn. Mind blown.

So it's pretty much confirmed right now that Toya knows that Sakura's a cardcaptor. Well, he doesn't necessarily know that much, but he knows that Sakura has some sort of mission. And since he knows what's up with Kero not being a plush toy (him staring at him is always hilarious) and he has that connection to Mizuki, I wouldn't doubt at all that he knows pretty much everything that's going on.

I'm still curious to learn a little bit more about the relationship between Toya and Mizuki. Interesting how Yukito brought up that he could "always hear her voice from far away" or something to that effect. I'd always gotten the impression that Toya and Yukito were an item, but this seems to throw that off. He seems to know there's a bond between them, but he doesn't seem resentful or anything like that at all about it. For now, I'll just chalk that up to Yukito just being an awesome dude.

More Nadeshiko is always a good thing. I still want to learn more about her.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
It was foreshadowed way back at the beginning when Rin rejects Daikichi's idea of officially adopting her as his daughter. A very similar scene exists near the beginning of Kodomo no Jikan, when an adolescent boy rejects becoming his guardian's adopted son because that would mean he couldn't marry her.

It's probably worth keeping in mind that Usagi Drop is written by a woman for women and ran in a women's magazine. I doubt men reading it and thinking of themselves in Daikichi's place was a big thought on the author's mind. More likely it was expected that readers would relate to Rin, for whom Daikichi is a trustworthy, reliable, mature man who proves himself over a number of years--a "real"-flavored but still idealized fantasy mate that readers of the magazine could feel is totally possible to find and marry in real life.

Well, you know what they say about women and
their fathers

haikira

If someone had never seen any Patlabor, but wanted to give it a go, where should they start? I appreciate that this thread is for contemporary anime, which this definitely isn't. Apologies for that. I just didn't see anywhere better to post the question and didn't think it deserved its own thread.

I check everything Bluray.com reviews, as a way of finding out about movies/shows. I skimmed over their recent review of Patlabor The Mobile Police : Collection 1 and it seemed liked something I wouldn't mind giving a go.

Articalys

I bought this one!
Only 3000 huh.
I wonder how the first season ones did; don't remember now.
I must be really goddamn bored to look these up.

They were released one week apart each starting in late August 2011.

45, *2,925 *2,925 Ro-Kyu-Bu! Character Song by Tomoka
32, *3,110 *3,110 Ro-Kyu-Bu! Character Song by Maho
32, 3,240 *3,240 Ro-Kyu-Bu! Character Song by Saki
22, *3,600 *3,600 Ro-Kyu-Bu! Character Song by Hinata
18, 3,940 *3,940 Ro-Kyu-Bu! Character Song by Airi

Well yeah afterwards you could explaing that scene that way but for me and probably for most of watchers it really didn't open that way. A lot of girls at early age want to marry their father as they don't know the differences between different kinds of love. Don't know if the anime adaption took some creative liberties too but you just didn't get a vibe from it that it would go to that way. Not at all. They were even semi shipping Daikichi x Yukari that would have been pretty much in line with the feel of the show. Well I guess there are some that liked that ending but for me and it seems also for the most that just was the most absurd direction the series could take. And well the fact that this was written by woman made it even weirder for me....maybe I have some gender stereotypes but still....

If someone had never seen any Patlabor, but wanted to give it a go, where should they start? I appreciate that this thread is for contemporary anime, which this definitely isn't. Apologies for that. I just didn't see anywhere better to post the question and didn't think it deserved its own thread.

I check everything Bluray.com reviews, as a way of finding out about movies/shows. I skimmed over their recent review of Patlabor The Mobile Police : Collection 1 and it seemed liked something I wouldn't mind giving a go.

This thread might help you out. The First OVA is where everything started and it's relatively short. Then Patlabor: The Movie follows after the events of the OVA.

trejo

I find the thought that a child would do that because she considers her would-be father as future marriage material and worse of all that he'd ultimately end up being totally okay with it utterly fucking disgusting but that's just me.

Syrinx

I found this a lot funnier than I probably should have.

I can't believe it's already been a thread. I feel like I've been so inactive in this one. :(

I've been inactive in this thread too. Between being away and having home internet go out for a week. I wasn't able to post much.

But since my post count in this community has been steadily declining, I'll chalk it up to me starting to kick the habit. Yay me!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom