• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT| this thread has been outsourced to Toei Phils

Status
Not open for further replies.

Superflat

Locodol episode 1

More eccentric characters than WUG, but it's got the charm and underdog-stylings that make it endearing, and takes a lot from the real indie idol scene. I really liked the humor as well. Fun show!

Free! Eternal Abs episode 1

It's good to see these boys again. A good re-entry into their world, with a few surprises and more competition on the horizon. I am enjoy!

Rail Wars! episode 1

Said this before, but it's in that weird space between not enough fanservice and too much. Kind of annoying. I feel like the studio didn't trust the premise to be entertaining by itself so they threw in a bunch of ass and tit shots. But I like the redhead. And the train antics are aiite.

Tokyo Ghoul episode 1

Watching the first half I thought I was going to hate it, but by the end, I was mildly intrigued; mostly because they
killed off the horny, i mean, corny vampiress, and thought that the whole eating human flesh dilemma was pretty gruesome, in a good way.
It's what I expected Pupa to be before it turned out to be horrible shit.

Phi Brain S3 23

Another all girls party at a hotel

and no hot spring scene?!

tumblr_m4eqn81BWT1qdnsr8.gif

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Tokyo Ghoul 1:

No subtlety whatsoever. Garish color palette, awkward background composition, and amateurish, derivative horror scoring. I fear where this is headed when the contrivance that sets the protagonist's story in motion is already mind-bendingly dumb.
Transplant the organs of a superpowered cannibal monster to a human? The patient couldn't possibly wind up experiencing a fate worse than death, right?
There are kernels of interesting subject matter in here and an unusually valid (for anime) identity crisis over the protagonist's humanity, but the adaptation is too preoccupied with the lurid spectacle to bring out the best in the material.

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
Why is sex typically used as a means to hurt a character in normal (non-hentai, non-smut) anime? It's always in the context of cheating or poor decisions.

Midonin

PriPara 01

Apparently those three months off the air were so Pretty Rhythm could absorb the nutrients from the corpses of its fallen competitors. For the one kids' show starting this season, my metaphors aren't starting off on the right foot.

But like the departed Lilpri (which is in my CR queue for some reason. Magical girl education means the highs and the lows.), it has an idol group doing all the major voice roles... but Yuu Serizawa proved herself as An last year, and she was also Maxi, so that counts for something. And thanks to All Star Selection, I'm kinda familiar with Lala's personality. She's probably the dorkiest protagonist yet. I also noticed that, like its fallen competitor, Lala's character design was somewhat different from her appearance in promo art.

Because this is classic magical girl formula, where the powers not only give her new clothes, but also age her up a bit. The dress up sequences are more Precure-y. Not a corpse, but it's still clearly borrowing from its competition in an attempt to dethrone Aikatsu by stabbing it in the- whoa with the metaphors. The first episode was extremely merchandise-heavy, but that comes with the territory. Get the premise out of the way first and we can get to the character stuff ASAP. And what the premise is... Willy Wonka and the Idol Factory. An idol theme park that serves as a sparkly micronation full of animal mascots and song numbers. Though in this case, having them perform the OP while they get the real songs ready is okay, because of the above.

iOCWRtR.jpg

June, what happened to you?

The Principal is every oppressive authority figure I've seen, complete with sucking up the new merchandise tickets with a vacuum. Compared to Aikatsu, PR is much more campy and exaggerated. Yet it has much more personal drama, oddly enough. Lala wasn't exactly getting along with her mom in episode 1, for example. And Mirei's two-faced nature is interesting. Outwardly cute, inwardly Akari from Captain Earth. Sofie kinda reminds me of Seira or Bell, and I suspect it won't be long before she joins the main cast.

I'm glad to have Meganee be the manager of the Prism Stone this time. Though her response when questioned if she's the same person as the Pretty Rhythm incarnation of herself is to say "I look like her." What's your deal, Kanae Itou-voiced person? Having the previous three heroines as the "Saints" is also intriguing. Other than the first two seasons, I have no clue what the relation of each new entry in the franchise to each other is, and this may be a parallel universe. Yet it has a Wakana (maybe), and all is right. Now I kinda want An and Mirei to meet.

OP and ED are both alright, the CG's getting better, and the premise has all the usual weird wrinkles I've come to expect from my one year of following this franchise. The photo-ops at the end of the dance numbers can't match up to some of the Prism Lives from last year, but if that kind of insanity (Wakana rode a lion) is still there, then I'll be okay with this strange new franchise rebranding.

XV2KRN4.jpg

And how did I write more about this than Locodol?

JoeFu

Banned
The KLK thing was pretty fun.

Those FreFlow lights are so hype.

At the Aniplex thing today I was happy to hear the crowd groan whenever Oreimo or whatever the hell it's called showed up

Also I was the only one hype for the Hachikuji arc when they showed that like 4 second trailer for it haha

cajunator

Banned
PriPara 01

Apparently those three months off the air were so Pretty Rhythm could absorb the nutrients from the corpses of its fallen competitors. For the one kids' show starting this season, my metaphors aren't starting off on the right foot.

But like the departed Lilpri (which is in my CR queue for some reason. Magical girl education means the highs and the lows.), it has an idol group doing all the major voice roles... but Yuu Serizawa proved herself as An last year, and she was also Maxi, so that counts for something. And thanks to All Star Selection, I'm kinda familiar with Lala's personality. She's probably the dorkiest protagonist yet. I also noticed that, like its fallen competitor, Lala's character design was somewhat different from her appearance in promo art.

Because this is classic magical girl formula, where the powers not only give her new clothes, but also age her up a bit. The dress up sequences are more Precure-y. Not a corpse, but it's still clearly borrowing from its competition in an attempt to dethrone Aikatsu by stabbing it in the- whoa with the metaphors. The first episode was extremely merchandise-heavy, but that comes with the territory. Get the premise out of the way first and we can get to the character stuff ASAP. And what the premise is... Willy Wonka and the Idol Factory. An idol theme park that serves as a sparkly micronation full of animal mascots and song numbers. Though in this case, having them perform the OP while they get the real songs ready is okay, because of the above.

The Principal is every oppressive authority figure I've seen, complete with sucking up the new merchandise tickets with a vacuum. Compared to Aikatsu, PR is much more campy and exaggerated. Yet it has much more personal drama, oddly enough. Lala wasn't exactly getting along with her mom in episode 1, for example. And Mirei's two-faced nature is interesting. Outwardly cute, inwardly Akari from Captain Earth. Sofie kinda reminds me of Seira or Bell, and I suspect it won't be long before she joins the main cast.

I'm glad to have Meganee be the manager of the Prism Stone this time. Though her response when questioned if she's the same person as the Pretty Rhythm incarnation of herself is to say "I look like her." What's your deal, Kanae Itou-voiced person? Having the previous three heroines as the "Saints" is also intriguing. Other than the first two seasons, I have no clue what the relation of each new entry in the franchise to each other is, and this may be a parallel universe. Yet it has a Wakana (maybe), and all is right. Now I kinda want An and Mirei to meet.

OP and ED are both alright, the CG's getting better, and the premise has all the usual weird wrinkles I've come to expect from my one year of following this franchise. The photo-ops at the end of the dance numbers can't match up to some of the Prism Lives from last year, but if that kind of insanity (Wakana rode a lion) is still there, then I'll be okay with this strange new franchise rebranding.

Oh my goddddddd what cuties.
What show is this?

*incest* anime is terrible.
It's always step-sis garbage.

Basically this, either do something that's actually taboo or just do a straight up romance between childhood friends. Don't call it incest when the characters couldn't be further apart then oil and water.

Phi Brain S3 24

Whelp that was not what I was expecting, can't say it was bad but just weird. The fake world Raestel ends up in could be it's own slice of life/romance series.

Midonin

Oh my goddddddd what cuties.
What show is this?
PriPara, which is related to Pretty Rhythm - Aikatsu's closest competitor - but a complete overhaul. The ice skating has been replaced with a more traditional idol element, but the same quirkiness remains. And yes, Lala (purple haired one) is cute.

Jarmel

Banned
SAO 2-1

A year's worth of glop indeed.

This was boring. It's almost all setup. That said there was some decent character interaction between Kirito and Asuna so I'm sure some people will enjoy that. Oh and there's one line in there that will drive Firehawk mad as fuck.

That said there were some well done animation bits such as when the top scorer in GGO is giving this stupid speech but the camera is rotating around him. It's pretty well done 3D animation work. Although when Sinoh(sp?) pulls the trigger, the camera follows the bullet and a lot of CGI is used. There's also this weird cut in the middle that looked well animated but the camera-work was a little hard to follow(might be more due to my setting than the work itself).

SAO 2-1

This was boring. It's almost all setup. That said there was some decent character interaction between Kirito and Asuna so I'm sure some people will enjoy that. Oh and there's one line in there that will drive Firehawk mad as fuck.

That said there were some well done animation bits such as when the top scorer in GGO is giving this stupid speech but the camera is rotating around him. It's pretty well done 3D animation work. Although when Sinoh(sp?) pulls the trigger, the camera follows the bullet and a lot of CGI is used. There's also this weird cut in the middle that looked well animated but the camera-work was a little hard to follow(might be more due to my setting than the work itself).

So it sounds like the first episode didn't get to the scene I wanted to see. Oh well. Next week it is.

TUSR

Banned
SAO 2-1

Yessssssssssssssssssssssssssssss, cajun gonna hate

asuna is love

SAO 2-1

I'm still not sure how I feel about SAO2. Is my hype increasing or decreasing with Jarmel's impressions? Well at least it hasn't started bad.
Asuna is the only SAO1 girl that even appears in the episode.

Hyping deflating faster.

Jarmel

Banned
Oh and thought you guys were joking about Kirito-kun working for the government. That whole scene felt weird because this is supposed to be his incentive to get back into the gaming world but it's not. It's never established that Kirito needs money, that he's bored, or even cares about the random people dying in these MMOs enough to take on the risk(which he doesn't even know).
Yessssssssssssssssssssssssssssss, cajun gonna hate

asuna is love

Asuna is the only SAO1 girl that even appears in the episode.

Blusby

Shigurui 1-2: Man oh man, why didn't I discover this series earlier? It has Hamsaki written all over it, digging pretty much everything about it so far. Also this artstyle looks pretty similar, if not the same, as the upcoming Terra Formars adaption, very nice.

Rhapsody

Banned
Did they show the OP Jarmel? Was it hype?

I wish you never linked that pic of the autograph signing board they were giving out at AX for SAO lol

I don't know how many they gave out, but supplies were limited and I didn't have a premier badge and the regular badge line was already way long.

Rail Wars 1
So a dumb protagonist and oversexualized girls in an anime about trains. Seems fairly generic. The fight scene was funny. I didn't really see the point in the school part though. Did they need to fill their quota of school settings?

Jarmel

Banned
Did they show the OP Jarmel? Was it hype?

Yes they did and I think most people will be pleased with it. That sword fighting bit that I saw earlier during the concert was the OP.

It's not really storyboarded that well except for the action bits. Like the swordfighting vs bullets looks better than anything in SAO, funnily enough. Kirito does this twirl move that looks slick as fuck.

Also lol at Kirito having a lightsaber this arc.

jgminto

No Lisbeth?

Do these people even know their audience?

Pretty sure only the people who hate themselves for watching SAO like any of the other characters over Asuna. Just look at that character poll, pink hair only won out over dead girl.

Crocodile

Props to the brave men and women out there at Anime Expo letting us live vicariously through them. A lot of these news tidbits have been interesting :)

Sounds like Sentai will give us TV Crowds and not BD Crowds

Jesus Fucking Christ seriously? I've been waiting like a year to see the real finale :/ >_<

Phi Brain S3 Fin

Overall I thought this was the weakest season of Phi Brain, but it did feel like a good finale for the series. How they beat Orpheus was really weak, but the actual solution to the puzzle game was clever... too bad it had no real impact :/

All in all I really did enjoy Phi Brain all 3 seasons of it were a lot of fun.

Blusby

It's awful.
Just curious, what made it awful for you? With it's frequent use of name dropping and unnecessary quoting I can see a major gripe but I wouldn't call it awful because of it. Though I've seen the QUALITY screencaps from its tv airtime, and was shocked by it (I watched the BD's).

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Locodol 1:

The heartwarming story of a creepy uncle who deceives his niece into whoring her out to the idol industry in a desperate attempt to reverse his city's endemic inability to attract tourists. It's the low-budget Love Live coattailer with incestuous undertones that anime fans have been clamouring for.

Yeah, that's the protagonist and her uncle.

Why is it that whenever a girl falls on the MC when the camera pans to them his knee will be in her crotch and his hand on her tit with a stupid look on his face for ~20 soft, squishy seconds?

Lookin at you Rail Wars

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom