• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT2| Or, where Jexhius finally watches more Doremi for Hito.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Setting aside Astral Ocean for a minute, we can all at least afford to write off the movie since it has absolutely nothing to do with Eureka Seven at all. It's a completely different story that's wearing Eureka Seven's skin for convenience. And while lifting unrelated casts and putting them into a retelling of a mecha show worked twice for Imagawa, Pocket Full of Rainbows really, really doesn't.

That said, my God the sequel was bad. Show was like a list of things Eureka Seven didn't need. Like, "Hey how about we put a white haired pretty boy!" "What if we gave Renton a gun?" "What if we did time travel!" Beyond that, though, it flagrantly ignored several important plot points of Eureka Seven to make its plot happen, and then half the plot threads in the show collapsed into nothing as the show went on.

I realize you're not really defending Astral Ocean and I don't want you to think I'm jumping on you but man, if I could name one anime I wish didn't exist, it'd really have to be that one, haha.
Corvo is no fun when he's calm and collected. Somebody call his favorite anime shit.

Oh boy, am just dabbling into Kokoro Connect and doing so shortly after watching Zetsuen no Tempest makes it really confusing to listen to Inaba as her voice actress Miyuki Sawashiro also voiced Hakaze. That's a really salient voice as well.

Chariot

this attempt at a joke wasn't funny when the first person did it for the first unpopular sequel, and it's not funny when you do it either one million times later, suck it up, say "i don't like the sequel" and move on with your life
Have you never watched a show that much, that you watched everything related to it full of hope, just to have you dreams crushed week after week. I really wanted to believe into AO. It had a setup that could easily lead to something good, it looked nice enough. And then it kept going down boy, down boy, down boy, down.

Kill Me Baby 05

:chariot
lol :D
Oh boy, am just dabbling into Kokoro Connect and doing so shortly after watching Zetsuen no Tempest makes it really confusing to listen to Inaba as her voice actress Miyuki Sawashiro also voiced Hakaze. That's a really salient voice as well.
Yes, she is fantastic, isn't she <3

Nordicus

RahXephon 22

Aah this was a good episode. Haruka is still DABES when kicked out of TERRA for drawing a mocking picture, and Ayato actually rejects his Ishtori surprisingly quickly. He lost RahXephon and his painting, but being able to stand against the godlike voice in your head is pretty cool. Colonel Kunugi shows that even he can get mellow and nice, and then finally, as icing on the cake, that Isshiki fucker is delivered a pink slip by that young funny officer Souichi. The only things he could do before were only the most hidden sarcastic remarks with a smiling face, and now he gets to show this smug egotistical bastard the door. Looks like opening the Pandora's box isn't a light offense. THE CATHARSIS, MAN!

2xAVcT8.jpg
OAub3ab.jpg
JYLsOSf.jpg

Also wtfwtfwtf was that ending? Creepy old man got even creepier

Clov

Just watched Hunter x Hunter 140. Alluka's really cute, even though she can be a bit scary when "Something" takes over. I love her character, though! I hope she makes it out okay. The last character I really liked in this show had a pretty unfortunate end.

Also, that part at the end
with Leorio was awesome! First time I've really liked his character. Ging really deserved that punch in the face, and it was delivered so well. Pretty badass stuff!

Chariot

Coincidentally I saw some comment on reddit an hour ago mentioning Miyuki Sawashiro as one of the best voice actors. Now I know who she is and yeh, that's a good voice and her voice acting ability seems good so far.
If you want more of her amazing voice, you should look at Maoyuu Maou Yuusha, Milky Holmes and Strike Witches. Theoretically her voice is very her in Tegami Bacchi, but Lag Seeing is getting annoying fast, there isn't much to work with that crybaby.
I had Mexican Digimon, don't be too unhappy. Though whenever I got a chance to put sap in my tv to watch in English I would
Jesus, I thought you were british.

If you want more of her amazing voice, you should look at Maoyuu Maou Yuusha, Milky Holmes and Strike Witches. Theoretically her voice is very her in Tegami Bacchi, but Lag Seeing is getting annoying fast, there isn't much to work with that crybaby.
Aside from Strike Witches and a decent amount of Maoyuu, at least give him stuff that has a lot of Miyukichi/not her as some shitty shota! Like Yozakura Quartet (Hana no Uta, OG TV series can fuck off) and Galaxy Angel.

Chariot

Aside from Strike Witches and a decent amount of Maoyuu, at least give him stuff that has a lot of Miyukichi/not her as some shitty shota! Like Yozakura Quartet and Galaxy Angel.
Oh shit, right, how could I forgot Yozakura Quartet! Watch that too!

Haven't seen Galaxy Angel yet.

Kokoro Connect 01

Yeah I really enjoyed that. Have to say I noticed that some of the animation seems to be rather low frame rate here and there. Usually when it isn't close up. But just a really negligible thing.

/XX/

My understanding is that the story is heavily changed from the original fairy tale (see this paper, which I read a few years ago, for more detail, although be wary of spoilers) although that's hardly to its detriment as it treats all characters fairly and intriguingly. It's a fairly simple fairy tale but a pleasant and entertaining story nonetheless; the middle third drags a bit in my opinion as it's a little excessively reflective and docile in pacing, which is understandable given plot events but not as entertaining as the rest of the film.
I still recall Mr. Katabuchi's explanations about how they tamed for the film some of the considered "heavy-handed" values the original story presented, but sadly the official website for the project that hosted such production diary disappeared.

Probably, the same thing will eventually happen for the habitual Mr. Katabuchi's column at WEB ANIMESTYLE (http://animestyle.jp/column/1300/) and not many will care, even though it appears to be so informative while building a complete diary on the To All The Corners Of The World production. This is something we won't always have the opportunity of seeing for this industry, so taking advantage of it would be ideal!

Aside from Strike Witches and a decent amount of Maoyuu, at least give him stuff that has a lot of Miyukichi/not her as some shitty shota! Like Yozakura Quartet (Hana no Uta, OG TV series can fuck off) and Galaxy Angel.
I am so glad Hana no Uta exists so I can wipe that horrid OG series out my mind.

sonicmj1

Ojamajo Doremi 1

Shergal is right. This is a really energetic episode. Doremi's got some dynamic expressions, which is a function of good character design.

I'm looking forward to watching more.

As it seems there isn't much interest for it at the thread dedicated to 'J-Drama' on this forum, I'll continue pimping the Blue Flame live-action adaptation series here... because, for real, there are many Japanese animation elements people from here will truly appreciate. Just looking at the OP one is sure of that:

&#12300;&#12450;&#12458;&#12452;&#12507;&#12494;&#12458;&#12301; OP - YouTube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fk5LDYeFRyQ

I mean, look at it; a 're-mastered' Hideaki Anno flip-book, all those homages to 'Kanada-style' cuts from Mr. Imaishi & Aninari with those poses, the research work in general and in particular that characterization with the added smugness from the graphic novel still intact... sublime overall!

This was so good, thanks /XX/, my brother loved it too. But there's more...

Ojamajo Doremi 1

Yeah, this'll do nicely. I'm impressed they're actually making an attempt to define the magic system as well.

Ojamajo Doremi 2

Well, that was some monkey's paw wishing. Much, much stronger than the first episode as well.

lol at that pre-emptive denial

-----
Ojamajo Doremi 1
This is fun. Everything in the production gives an infectious energetic vibe, likewise with Doremi herself. Of course what jumps at me instantly is that the funny expressions are actually funny and that the motion stylization is creative, Umakoshi the god, etc etc. but it's really the charm of it. Snappy dialogue, fun directing and good music don't hurt at all either.

The episode was mostly laying down some basic characterization and the setup, obviously, so they didn't have the chance to do much cool stuff, but I can feel the potential.

Ojamajo Doremi 1

Shergal is right. This is a really energetic episode. Doremi's got some dynamic expressions, which is a function of good character design.

I'm looking forward to watching more.

Why did I got to bed early yesterday, this is good, very good.
Everyone should watch it.
Back to Doremi avatar.

Samurai Flamenco's crazy was able to top Valvrave's crazy. The question is whether that'll be topped someday.

Also Jexhius, you'll be happy to know that I made a watchbet with Hito. He's watching Black Jack in exchange for me watching Doremi.

Good job Hito.

I've been through Hikaru in KOR.

I still need to finish it, stopped in the episode where
she dies, but in the end she didn't and got angry
...at first I thought the MC was bad in Hikaru's episodes, then I understood that she was bad.

Urusei Yatsura - 50
Oh man. Flawless. Ryoko seems like an excellent addition to the cast. Glad we got to see more of the Mendo family and their ridiculous estate. Ataru using Ten as a holstered weapon was the highlight of this episode for me. More Ataru + Ten shenanigans please.

Ryoko is a very good
troll
, there'll be more Ataru + Ten.
zt2y2TK.jpg

You like this reaction image, right?

==================================

Meitantei Holmes/Sherlock Hound Movie

sERlmZX.png

I don't know if this is more :hito or :woofdawg

I wish I had more time but I have to go to college now so I'll keep it short.
It looked more like episodes of a series than a movie, but the animation in the first part in that chase scene was awesome and in the second part we had Admiral show up, I'll give a look on the series later...gotta go fast now...

Jesus, I thought you were british.

Just because the dog has a top hat doesn't mean I'm bri'ish.
Admiral Woofington is never fun.
......no u?

Encouraging him to due the shitposting for attention thing when he's come so far to the point of writing up thoughtful stuff is a real disservice to him.
I wasn't encouraging. Just a nod at how weird it was for me to see such a calm response when somebody called him out I guess. Or what looked like it, didn't see the entire conversation.

Hunter x Hunter 140

ece598332e.jpg

New c3bu smugface

Fairly certain that
Kurapika scene was different in the manga. At least there were background details, I believe.

I'm so glad you are back Leorio, been waiting a long damn time to see that and it was so worth it

ED coming in loudly actually fit pretty well that time!

Midonin

Momo Kyun Sword 04

I knew about it from the website before it changed for the anime, but Pheasant does have a human form. After this episode, with all the fanservice and tentacles, I've come to realize just what this reminds me of, tone-wise. It's like a magical girl version of Koihime Musou, just with a Japanese bent instead of a Chinese one. The series remains enjoyable. Not for everyone's tastes, but definitely to mine.

CorvoSol

I don't, but I'll admit to wishing he'd indulge himself a little after watching the last two episodes of After Story.

I didn't make it that far in After Story. I quit halfway through the show because I couldn't stand to hear Nagisa make the same mewling whine for another 13 episodes.

Hunter x Hunter 140

Fairly certain that
Kurapika scene was different in the manga. At least there were background details, I believe.

I'm so glad you are back Leorio, been waiting a long damn time to see that and it was so worth it

ED coming in loudly actually fit pretty well that time!
His face was priceless I swear,
even better than Gotoh's when he was on the phone with Leorio.

I'd like to say you guys who didn't finish AS are missing out. I mean I was bawling during plenty of scenes, but that's more of me being a little wuss over everything not a comment on the quality. I mean I could start Wolf's Rain or Grave of the Fireflies and I'd be crying before the first 40 minutes.

I wouldn't worry too much about it and encourage you to keep watching.

Too late. I already spoiled him on every little detail so he wouldn't waste his time with it. It's one thing making him sit through shows that are 13-26 episodes for reactions.

Making someone sit through 50 episodes all for freak out reaction posts is quite another thing (even if the stuff later shown in After Story is still some pretty good stuff).

If Corvo ever watchbets with me I'd make him watch Baccano! 13 episodes (Well, 16 if you count the OVA), and definitely not a chore to sit through. And it's an actual GOOD anime.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom