• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT2| Or, where Jexhius finally watches more Doremi for Hito.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ef: A Tale of Memories END - Generally enjoyed this show. Characters seemed mostly likable. A little tropey, there's the girl with memory problems and childhood friend vs. manic pixie girl.

ef: A Tale of Melodies END - Ugh. in Memories the characters were likable. In Melodies everyone is a god damn dirtbag. And none of this makes sense. Was there always two cities? I don't remember them mentioning Australia in Memories. And everyone is so overly melodramatic and there's all these long-ass pyscotic ranting that all the characters do.

Samurai Champloo 9

Man, seriously, it's just weed. Mufuckas actin like they're trippin on acid. Is it just me, or does Japan have some really exaggerated views about narcotics and their various effects?
ASSGetJl.jpg

Yeah, probably.

Vylash

ef: A Tale of Memories END - Generally enjoyed this show. Characters seemed mostly likable. A little tropey, there's the girl with memory problems and childhood friend vs. manic pixie girl.

ef: A Tale of Melodies END - Ugh. in Memories the characters were likable. In Melodies everyone is a god damn dirtbag. And none of this makes sense. Was there always two cities? I don't remember them mentioning Australia in Memories. And everyone is so overly melodramatic and there's all these long-ass pyscotic ranting that all the characters do.

yup, Memories is amazing, Melodies is trash

So out of mere curiousity, I looked up spoilers for Pocketful of Rainbows.

My reaction:

picardwtf.jpg

I almost burst into laughter at how fanfic-y it was, holy crap.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I'd write more long, intellectually-inclined posts if it didn't take upwards of two hours to compose them.

That's actually not a joke sadly.

Twitter gave me ADHD and now if I can't write something in under a minute I usually don't.

Hugstable

Banned
I'd write more long, intellectually-inclined posts if it didn't take upwards of two hours to compose them.

I have the same problem myself also. I'm still pretty new so most of my episode impressions have been about 3-5 sentences, but I hope to get better at doing this as time goes on. I've tried writing alot longer and sometimes it just gets a bit hard to do it unless I sit down and write for awhile, which is near impossible because my attention span is too short sometimes and I end up watching more anime or playing video games lol.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
Sometimes I waste a lot of time writing a long post and then delete it anyway.

I know that feel. After I watched some Cream Lemon episodes I wrote an essay worthy of the Marquis De Sade himself. Then I'm like, nah, this is going to get me permed... and that was before the purge of the lewd. Sometimes you just get carried away and become blind to any potential consequences despite your best intentions.

jman2050

Isn't that the worst?

You get 80% through your long analysis or whatever until it dawns on you that you have no idea what you're talking about and just trash the whole thing.

jman2050

Just respond as if every anime is about how Sonic is overrated. lol

Nah, see, I have arguments prepared specifically for that topic of discussion that I can conjure up at a moment's notice, so that's a minor inconvenience at worst.

Trying to write something meaningful about a piece of entertainment from scratch is much more time- and mind-intensive.

Syrinx

Aria: The Natural 5

It can kinda be easy to forget how old Aqua is in this show. So Akari and Alicia going to that island and finding that shrine and hearing about the legend of the guardian fox, and then going to that island with the abandoned railroad and that abandoned car under the sakura tree were some strange occurrences. Also the first episode set outside Neo-Venezia in a while.

This episode was mostly about the wonders you can find by veering off your path and exploring a little. Kinda funny that Alicia told Akari that story about the explorer and telling her this, mainly cause there probably isn't anybody who can attest to it more thanAkari. She has discovered so many things exploring Neo-Venezia that she could fill a book with them, and she'd probably be the first to say that there are many, many more wonders to find.

PK Gaming

The Devil's a Part Timer 8

"...But I fell for you way before I knew any of that stuff so none of it can change the way I feel now ♪"

"After she was so straightforward and honest with me, it's not fair to play dumb and pretend that I don't get it. I figure I should take the olive branch while it's extended,"

Talk about straight and to the point! I thought they'd meander around her crush for the entire show, but they just put it all out there! Man it's pretty damn refreshing to have such an honest/savvy pair of characters. Maou in general is a really pleasant/agreeable protagonist, and i'm glad he's at least humoring Chiho's advances. Their relationship gets my full blessing!

There's a lot of other good stuff in this episode too (like Suzuna's freak out scene) but the aforementioned scene was my favorite, by far.

Oh yeah, and James from Pokemon is totally a character in this show.

Just got back , looking at gaf before going to sleep hoping to not have missed some event ...

and i missed one it seems.
Oh well.
Tommorroxw i'll be back ...with a new avatar for summer !!
I'm disappointed that one will not share in the rage and shitfest that is AO. =(
For Ao i actually wanted to watch it , but sionce i loved E7 i thought i would watch all the eps at once...but the weekly reactions and posts from animegaf quickly made me drop this idea.

I decided to not look at the "unknow" since i couldn't find ONE person who liked it.
This was bad. heck i can find people who liked darker than black S2 for example , not i couldn't find one who liked that anime.

I'm disappointed you didn't go through more Golden Time.

We all get disappointed

Kayos stopped ? >WHY !?? don't stop kayos !! you haven't seen even remotely what "that" character can do !!!

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Chiho ;~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~;

I just have like zero motivation to write up anything beyond basic impressions anymore unless it's something I REALLY like. I wrack my brain enough with the amount I write daily outside of forum posts.

Of course I'll still put some effort into my AOTY/GOTY posts.

Aldnoah.Zero 4

So I guess Calm is the next friend who's gonna eat it. I don't like how much time we waste at the harbor or on the typical refugee angst, and while the fight here is alright it doesn't really match the last one and feels inconsequential. I'm glad we're still going for tactics over hijacking better mechs, but I have a feeling once Slaine defects that's what we'll be watching.

Also, the princess's servant is a moron, calling her "milady" and gasping when she introduces herself with a fake name. Loose lips sink ships, dammit. But then again her fake name is a shortened version of her real name so maybe she's right there.

Jex

After over a hundred episodes, Legends of the Galactic Heroes is complete.

Although it has its issues, I would agree with the assessment of it being a must-watch anime, although not for its animation (the art is very charming though). It has such engaging idealistic characters and politics, although it often comes at the expense of realistic human grittiness (or should I say, it's pretty clear what era it was written in).

I wonder if I should make a LTTP thread...

You're think you're done? But wait, there's so much more! The movies! The prequels! More more more!

Mokoi

Banned
This reminds me that I still haven't watched the last episode of White Album 2. It's been almost a year now, but nope. Still don't feel like it. :p

I'm still on episode 10, and have no desire to finish it.

I just have like zero motivation to write up anything beyond basic impressions anymore unless it's something I REALLY like. I wrack my brain enough with the amount I write daily outside of forum posts.

Yeah same here I write to much for my summer courses, and unless I really like it. Which also includes games. I won't write something that lengthy. The only show I'm kind of doing that for is Terror in Tokes.

Jex

Dirty Pair 3

I agree with Yuri; that Sydney guy is lame and I'm kinda hoping that he doesn't become some recurring character and some romantic interest for Kei.

This "King" dude was really incompetent though. I love how he thought he was bringing in the Dirty Pair and make them fight for their lives for the entertainment (and gambling purposes) of his guests, and then it just boiled out of control within minutes and he wasn't doing shit. Bond villain he is not.

As if Kei could ever be satisfied with a single man! She doesn't have that kind of attention span.

Mature

I'm in the same boat. Anything longer than just an impression or two takes me way too long to organize into something coherent and interesting.

Though in my case even when I do I'd likely be wrong anyway.
I think a well articulated or simply thoughtful post can be brief, but still fruitful. There's a handful of people in here who say more in a few sentences than I can say in an essay.

Case in point:

Of course I'll still put some effort into my AOTY/GOTY posts.
I consider your perspective to be unique, so seeing you weigh in on something in the thoughtful way you do always catches my eye.

I've done this my whole life. I think sometimes I just need to write my thoughts down. Whether or not I post them anywhere ends up immaterial.

Quasar

Guess I need to blame someone for getting me on a Kokoro Connect rewatch. This time I really need to make an effort to get the books that follow on.

Jex

Urusei Yatsura Update
I finally passed the 30 mark :) I do have a question however; does this show maintain its episodic nature or do the future episodes have a longer story arc to them? (kinda like Gintama)

No it's an episodic series through and through.

I consider your perspective to be unique, so seeing you weigh in on something in the thoughtful way you do always catches my eye.

Well, it is nice to know someone values my opinions when I myself feel they generally aren't articulate or reasonable enough to be taken seriously. Perhaps I will go back to writing longer impressions, even if they aren't that long.

JoeFu

Banned
holy crap sabagebu episode 4

I'm 8 minutes in and so freaking hilarious. oh man I love this show

holy crap this show is so messed up

the Urara Diet omfg

cajunator

Banned
I know that feel. After I watched some Cream Lemon episodes I wrote an essay worthy of the Marquis De Sade himself. Then I'm like, nah, this is going to get me permed... and that was before the purge of the lewd. Sometimes you just get carried away and become blind to any potential consequences despite your best intentions.

I would love to read that. Maybe post it on your blog?

Chiho ;~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~;

*patpat

Chiho will always be the best and nothing changes that

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Ojamajo Doremi 2

After blundering into becoming a witch's apprentice (and thus enlisted into working at a magic shop on weekends), she gets the chance to put her assumption to the test in this episode, when she answers her friend's wish by swapping places for a day. This friend, Hazuki, may have rich parents, but they both discover that their families each have their own problems and charms. They learn a little about other people's lives.

It's not a show about fighting evil. It is (or seems to be) a show about using magic to get into and out of trouble, while developing a wider cast of characters. Such development would be impossible without good writing, and the show delivers on that so far. There aren't some crazy melodramatic differences between Hazuki's and Doremi's lives, but they're meaningful and shocking for each of the characters. The pressures of Hazuki's pampered life, or how Doremi's parents quarrel over her father's hobby, are the kinds of unique things that your friends might have been going through and learned to deal with without you even knowing.

The expressions are what make the show the biggest delight. The characters' mouths and eyes have the capacity to go anywhere from tiny slits to massive dinner plates, and their extremes give the show energy. Similarly, it's fun watching Doremi spin as she flies around on her broom, even if the effect looks cheap.

I hope that sincerity and energy carries through the other episodes I watch.
Many shows throw in a body or role swap episode purely for antics, but Doremi uses the device in episode 2 to not only thoroughly characterize both Doremi and Hazuki, but firmly establish the place each have in their families as well as characterizing those families. It's really easy to simply get those two after this episode. It's funny you mention sincerity now, though, because in episode 3 you'll meet Aiko, and her characterization provides a glimpse at where this show is willing to go and all the while being authentic where it matters.

Of course, even then, these are just starting points.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom