• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT2| Or, where Jexhius finally watches more Doremi for Hito.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
sonicmj: Aiko also speaks full-on kansaiben too, not a halfassed version of it like you might find in other anime. It's so good.

duckroll

Clamp never finish X due to same issues as well....

Edit: i think School days also have the same issues before

That's actually a bit of bullshit. It's CLAMP's excuse that editors were complaining about destruction of iconic public infrastructure, but the reality is probably something else, given how Newtype had no issues with reprinting the uncompiled chapters to promote the deluxe re-releases.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Yeah. That's where the nice boat comes from.

Heh. That's pretty strange.

woah, i always though it's because the final scene is on the boat.
mindblown.gif

That's actually a bit of bullshit. It's CLAMP's excuse that editors were complaining about destruction of iconic public infrastructure, but the reality is probably something else, given how Newtype had no issues with reprinting the uncompiled chapters to promote the deluxe re-releases.

Ah, i wonder what the real problem is...
Yeah, now that you mention it, i see lot of important building destroyed in other manga, i'm sure they can release it whenever they wanted

There's an absolutely undeniable product placement side to Doremi. Those are toy sounds. When you buy it, that's what you can expect from it.

Now, this show is one of the best at taking such orders from above as a given and then making a good show out of it anyway, but it's definitely there.

I'm fairly certain that the disk thing and the wand are real-life toys.

Oh right. Yes. I had forgotten. Much like with Precure, this is another show that has a lot of merchandise to advertise.

Ah well. I can't complain about that since other anime that I like pretty much does the same thing. Hell, Gundam Build Fighters has a blatant advertisement for the Star Build Strike Gunpla after the OP in like, every episode IIRC.

duckroll

Ah, i wonder what the real problem is...
Yeah, now that you mention it, i see lot of important building destroyed in other manga, i'm sure they can release it whenever they wanted

My pet theory (read: Tales from My Ass) is that they have all the manuscripts completed for the remaining chapters locked away in a safe, and they'll only release those to Kadokawa when they decide to retire for real, as part of their retirement package. :p

Clov

Nah, imagine if he teamed up with Tomino, during the mood he was in when he made Victory Gundam.

I don't want to imagine that. In fact, I don't want to imagine anyone teaming up with Tomino in that mood. When I think of Victory Gundam, I think Tomino should just sit down and think about what he's done.

I don't want to imagine that. In fact, I don't want to imagine anyone teaming up with Tomino in that mood. When I think of Victory Gundam, I think Tomino should just sit down and think about what he's done.
I've never seen that one so I wiki'd it and I couldn't help but notice this:

It is possibly the zenith of Yoshiyuki Tomino's "Kill 'em all"[1] tendency, as the casualty rate of the main cast is extremely high on both sides of the conflict.

mankoto

Kingdom 33
It's time to counterattack to make up for last night's ambush. Although it seems that Zhao army has anticipated this and has surrounded Meng's faction. What could the mountain people want at a time like this?

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Oh right. Yes. I had forgotten. Much like with Precure, this is another show that has a lot of merchandise to advertise.

Ah well. I can't complain about that since other anime that I like pretty much does the same thing. Hell, Gundam Build Fighters has a blatant advertisement for the Star Build Strike Gunpla after the OP in like, every episode IIRC.
Hell, GBF is one long infomercial for Gunpla in general.

Firemind

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/jul/29/japanese-schoolgirl-beheaded-classmate-reports

Fuck me with a rake yanderes are real. Time to go into my bomb shelter

This happens, like, every other day in China.

Aaanyway, I've been reading up history, specifically the 1800s up until WWII and I've noticed there haven't been a lot of (fictional) depictions of the Japanese side during the Industrial Age in anime form. Most of the stuff is either steampunk or the eras of samurai warlords. I relate Samurai Champloo more to the period before, since it's supposed to be in the Edo period.

Maybe I should watch The Wind Rises or something.

mankoto

Kingdom 34
Oh damn, a 3rd country is going to be thrown in the mix of all this at some point. That's pretty scary since Qin is at a big disadvantage right now.

BluWacky

This happens, like, every other day in China.

Aaanyway, I've been reading up history, specifically the 1800s up until WWII and I've noticed there haven't been a lot of (fictional) depictions of the Japanese side during the Industrial Age in anime form. Most of the stuff is either steampunk or the eras of samurai warlords. I relate Samurai Champloo more to the period before, since it's supposed to be in the Edo period.

Are we talking post-Meiji Restoration here? Kenshin and Peacemaker Kurogane both take place around the restoration itself IIRC. Bakumatsu Kikansetsu Irohanihoheto (I think it's called Intrigue in the Bakumatsu in English?) took place right at the end of the Bakumatsu era as well.

If we're going a bit later, as in pre world war II, there's things like Senkou no Night Raid or Taisho Baseball Girls, but we're probably getting a bit close to WWII for that.

You're right that the Meiji era doesn't seem to hold much attraction for anime - or manga, even. I wonder why? It's not like it was an insignificant period in history or anything. I guess it's not as "cool".

/XX/

Love Hina is shit, Ken Akamatsu is a hack
You know, Ken Akamatsu found my unconditional respect after impulsing along his company J-Comi inc., a website for reading out-of-print graphical novels on DRM-free formats (http://www.zeppan.com/), while also harbouring the sentiment of many Japanese authors against censor laws proclaimed by their government.

On the recent topic of content availability on-line that is in vogue right now, and among all the initial stagnation of Japanese publishers & production companies, compared to all that Mr. Akamatsu was like a visionary... but not just in it to push a business market forward fighting against a profit harming movement, instead as a man with respect for the long-lost and forgotten creative work of many pals inside the industry he belongs to.

I won't even dare to criticise his works after doing so much for a good cause! :-D

Jex

Well, it is nice to know someone values my opinions when I myself feel they generally aren't articulate or reasonable enough to be taken seriously. Perhaps I will go back to writing longer impressions, even if they aren't that long.

What this whole 'Meta-Thread' discussion helps to bring to light is that people do actually value well reasoned opinions, reviews and discussions about shows. This isn't actually that clear from the thread itself because many people simply read and enjoy those kind of posts but if they aren't actually commented on the author doesn't realise this. I know this may sound rather obvious, but if people don't receive any feedback for the work they put into writing a post they are unlikely to undertake similar efforts in the future. So it would probably help the quality of the thread overall if people acknowledged posts that they find useful or insightful.

This isn't some cry of attention or commandment from up on high that you must read every post in the thread and comment on it because that's clearly ridiculous. It's just a re-affirmation of what I think should be obvious. If you put effort into writing a post it's really rewarding to see people get something out of it. So if can think about that when we're browsing the thread maybe we'll remember to occasionally call out a post we thought was helpful or insightful.

Now, on the content of the thread as a whole, plenty of people, both here and elsewhere, have been less than thrilled with the general direction of the thread as of late but without people actually vocalising it in the thread e.g. without mods bringing it up and others agreeing, it's not something that most people have bothered to bring up. They've either just ignore it or left the thread entirely. But if it's been made clear by enough posters that want the thread to act differently and if people can demonstrate it with their content then I think we can move towards a better place. An important part of this is acknowledging good content and feeling that it's okay to point out content that you find objectionable.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
You know, Ken Akamatsu found my unconditional respect after impulsing along his company J-Comi inc., a website for reading out-of-print graphical novels on DRM-free formats (http://www.zeppan.com/), while also harbouring the sentiment of many Japanese authors against censor laws proclaimed by their government.

On the recent topic of content availability on-line that is in vogue right now, and among all the initial stagnation of Japanese publishers & production companies, compared to all that Mr. Akamatsu was like a visionary... but not just in it to push a business market forward fighting against a profit harming movement, instead as a man with respect for the long-lost and forgotten creative work of many pals inside the industry he belongs to.

I won't even dare to criticise his works after doing so much for a good cause! :-D

George Lucas does great things outside of the star wars franchise, but that doesn't change the fact he's a terrible writer and director*

We should applaud Ken Akamatsu for the good he does, but that doesn't mean he isn't a hack!

Jex

I always assumed it was similar to moe, I went through the K-On thread a few times a couple of months ago and ended up Googling what moe meant. Still to this day im unsure what exactly it means.
"Uguu" is just an infantile vocalization used by a character in the show Kanon. It's been mocked as a prototypical example of what's bad about anime.

As for moe, it has no meaning that's been nailed down, but it's largely to do with the reaction invoked by characters that are weak or incompetent to the point of cuteness and needing protection.

On a purely academic note, I think the best definition of moe is still:
moe, a neologism used to describe a euphoric response to fantasy characters or representations of them.
From Moe - Exploring Virtual Potential in Post-Millennial Japan by Patrick W. Galbraith.

The key part about this definition is that it avoids the obvious pitfall of tying "moe" down to a particular type of character or representation and instead turns the word around to describe the reaction the viewer gets from observing the fantasy character. I feel this makes far more sense.

/XX/

We should applaud Ken Akamatsu for the good he does, but that doesn't mean he isn't a hack!
Of course, that was just me talking romantically about Mr. Akamatsu's persona on his defense while bringing some interesting information about him that people might like to know in the process. I failed to blind your judgement through sentimentalism... so this is my defeat! :-D

Jex

Penguindrum is bad watch something good instead

i actually want to revisit penguindrum sometime since it wasn't all bad, it more collapsed under itself

Penguindrum has some of my favourite episodic stories in recent years (I'm thinking in particular about the assassination episode) and it really has an amazing soundtrack as well. You're right, of course, to point out that as a whole the show doesn't really come together and it's held back by some awkward points but it comes pretty damn close to being great.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Just found out about the FSN UBW series adaption ALL OF MY HYPE, all of my fucking hype. Best news ever. Best Fate route finally gets the adaptation it deserves.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Of course, that was just me talking romantically about Mr. Akamatsu's persona on his defense while bringing some interesting information about him that people might like to know in the process. I failed to blind your judgement through sentimentalism... so this is my defeat! :-D

If it was just negima, where it's known he had massive interference from editors, I wouldn't be so quick to call him out... but Love Hina is still unforgivable!

Jex

Sketchbook: Full Colors – 8-13 END

Sketchbook: Full Colors suffers from an identity crisis. One half wants to indulge in Sora’s quiet observations of the environment and her fellow classmates in a serene, Aria-like fashion. The other wants to be a wacky comedy with a sizeable cast and numerous 4koma-esque scenarios. The problem with these two elements is that they are very disparate in Sketchbook. They are so dissimilar from each other in execution that the show goes out of its way to separate Sora and the rest of the cast, as if one can only work when the other is hardly involved or even there.[[..]
Deputy Dangle, thank you for this thoughtful and well reasoned review. Sketchbook has been sitting in my backlog for a few years now and this helpful analysis will probably ensure that it stays somewhat towards the back until I'm really running about of anime to watch.

Where is the best place to get sales data for manga and anime?

http://www.someanithing.com

I know anime is here. Not sure on manga though.
something does a good job compiling the Oricon video disc sale estimations and box office information, however that's all that he tracks and unfortunately that's usually all that gets discussed/tossed around. Additional revenue sources are much more difficult to track such as online distribution sales, merchandise royalties/revenue, music sales, advertising revenue, international rights/royalties, publications, broadcasting rights (if paid by stations like AT-X), etc.

In short, the business is incredibly complicated and just looking at one piece of revenue to compare to imaginary number lines (like the Manabi line that often gets quoted) is a bit ridiculous. Keep a healthy dose of "this isn't the end-all-be-all" for those numbers.

If anyone's curious, my twitter handle is the same as is here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom