• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2015 |OT| SharingMana

Status
Not open for further replies.

Squalor

Yeah, the otaku thing was the worst part of GATE, hopefully it won't be the driving force behind the show.
One doesn't have to be an "otaku" to enjoy anime and manga (hell, or even erotic versions of those), but Japan doesn't seem to get that or something.

The writing (character work and dialogue) was bad. The magical-school genre is over-saturated, and this appears to be doing nothing novel with it. Unless the sub I watched was wrong, calling Jojiro's ability "teleportation" doesn't even make sense because it looked nothing like what actual teleportation would look like. The younger sister's voice couldn't be any worse. I don't need another cliché-riddled moe anime, and that is exactly what that pilot was.

And I just said I'll likely drop GATE, so I don't know what you're talking about regarding that.

Yeah I just saw your edit, when I quoted your post this is what you said:

Gangsta., Roku no Yuusha, and Ushio to Tora all had entertaining, above-average pilots.

GATE pretty mediocre, but I'll give it another episode or two.

Charlotte was awful.

Still waiting for God Eater.

I was replying to what you said there so don't take offence I wasn't picking at you or anything, no need to start beef :p

As for Charlotte you are watching a show about half baked abilities, so it's only natural that it looks silly. The writing to me seemed fine, but I guess everyone is entitled to their own opinion, I respect that.

Gbraga

I feel like it's gonna go at full force when he meets the other characters lol... Either way this one I'm probably not even gonna continue this week. The premise is kinda interesting, but idk here we have another otaku that is going to save the day. Anime needs to give that trope a rest :p

Yeah. I did like how he didn't hesitate before killing that dude though, that was somewhat refreshing, usually they'd be all like NO KILLING, WE'RE THE GOOD GUYS.

One doesn't have to be an "otaku" to enjoy anime and manga (hell, or even erotic versions of those), but Japan doesn't seem to get that or something.

Even if you had to be, still doesn't explain this obsession about having otaku protagonists. "Gamers" don't want to play as a gamer hero all the time.

Squalor

Yeah I just saw your edit, when I quoted your post this is what you said:
Which still implies the same thing as the edit.
Yeah. I did like how he didn't hesitate before killing that dude though, that was somewhat refreshing, usually they'd be all like NO KILLING, WE'RE THE GOOD GUYS.
At first, my thought was "Oh, wow, it's an otaku who isn't a pussy. This is kind of an interesting twist."

Then, in quick retrospect, I realized they gave this guy super combat abilities without any explanation as to why, so it made no sense, and I decided I didn't like that.

Gbraga

At first, my thought was "Oh, wow, it's an otaku who isn't a pussy. This is kind of an interesting twist."

Then, in quick retrospect, I realized they gave this guy super combat abilities without any explanation as to why, so it made no sense, and I decided I didn't like that.

That was very confusing to me at first too, but then when he talked about "I'm just doing it for my hobby" again, I assumed he was a soldier all along, and that was the job he only had to get money for his hobby, but didn't care about.

EDIT: And Charlotte is trash, but it's so terrible that it's hilarious, so I'll give it 2 more episodes to decide if I want to continue.

Puruzi

Banned
Overlord 1

r9wuduJ.jpg
5xjtiQA.jpg

She's kinda the only reason to watch this, first ep was boring as shit.

ED was kickass though, really liked it.

That was very confusing to me at first too, but then when he talked about "I'm just doing it for my hobby" again, I assumed he was a soldier all along, and that was the job he only had to get money for his hobby, but didn't care about.

The MC is barely "otaku". He mentions a pair of times how it sucks to lose a comiket as he is in the fantasy world, jokes like that, but the otaku part of his character doesn't show, in practical terms it just means he is a "laid back" dude. Though of course when the plot wants he isn't laid back at all, don't expect consistent character development lol.

But it will show more in other secondary characters, so there is a ration of otakuness to have: Akibahara shops, fujoshis, doujinshis, otaku fetishes, etc. You can see it has been written by an otaku.

phaze

Ghost in the Shell Arise: Alternative Architecture 01-02 END

Arise or even GitS at large, continues to make me feel slow and obtuse. And especially after a long break, getting a hang of a number of fictional countries and government agencies, of all the hacking, ghost fusing, dubbing and whatever else is a demanding challenge. It doesn't help that the pace is brisk, the intrigue confusing and the show rarely if ever stops to wait for you to catch up. I think I got the gist of it but some things, especially Scarecrow related things flew above my head. The ending was a bit anticlimactic in that the main perpetrator was brought down without any involvement from Kusanagi. I still dunno why they put this arc at the beginning of TV run, it spoils a few things, makes this chronologic order just fizzle out at the end and without watching the preceding events, it must be an even more vexing experience.

Overall it was pretty fun. I can't say I was particularly hot on Stand Alone Complex so I don't think of Arise as of some giant dishonour done to franchise. It's just a bit weaker. I've watched the OVA's way to long in the past to make an informed judgement but given how dire the Spring season was, this is probably my AOTS. Unless BBB finale will blow me away.

The callback to the diving from the movie as well as some foreshadowing for the path Major took there was pretty surprising to see. Wasn't Arise supposed to be it's own thing ?

Tachi tfu Logicomas are the best brand of moe there is.

fertygo

Aikatsu - 113

uFjdTTm.jpg

m2jo2Y5.jpg

Somehow I really dig this set-up
I think this is eps where Hinaki became more than #Notkaede

Aikatsu - 114

I'll always enjoy this revisit legacy moment thing, made you realize this such a great long running show.. I felt nostalgic to this moment already, hopefully we can still return again for S5

Time for the movie, yay! hopefully its give better closure for Ichigo and friend than those tuinks bullshit arc.

Gbraga

Is this some new GitS thing? Do tell me more, all I watched was the first film and Innocence.

The MC is barely "otaku". He mentions a pair of times how it sucks to lose a comiket as he is in the fantasy world, jokes like that, but the otaku part of his character doesn't show, in practical terms it just means he is a "laid back" dude. Though of course when the plot wants he isn't laid back at all, don't expect consistent character development lol.

But it will show more in other secondary characters, so there is a ration of otakuness to have: Akibahara shops, fujoshis, doujinshis, otaku fetishes, etc. You can see it has been written by an otaku.

Oh, ok, good to know. Is he indeed already a soldier by the time the story starts?

Sore ga Seiyuu! 1

Cute.

Is this one of the short 7 minutes thingies?

Puruzi

Banned
Is this some new GitS thing? Do tell me more, all I watched was the first film and Innocence.

Oh, ok, good to know. Is he indeed already a soldier by the time the story starts?

Is this one of the short 7 minutes thingies?

It's full length anime, 22 mins

Ghost in the Shell Arise: Alternative Architecture 01-02

Arise or even GitS at large, continues to make me feel slow and obtuse.

I think Arise in particular is more confusing than the average Gits work. It's almost like they said: "what is Gits famous for? Confusing as fuck plots? Let's do that!" without noticing previously the confusedness is more a side effect of what they were doing, not the point.,

convo

Hey if GATE is just going to be the military blowing up fantasy land for the rest of the series would it be worth it to start the series? Are the protagonists just there on the side or are they actually contributing to bigger things?

phaze

Arise started as 4 slowly released OVA's (40 min long) that were, just in this past season, aired on TV with a bit of a change in order (last arc is now the first) and two new 20 minute episodes added in. Hence the Alternative Architecture subtitle. It's pretty much a prequel and shows you how Kusanagi's unit was formed. Not sure if it's completely alternative take (like movies to SAC) or if it's supposed to tie in to either of the two. I think Kusanagi's backstory was changed a bit from what I remember so maybe the former.

Gbraga

Well, then you should start by watching the Gits Stand Alon Complex series.

Yes.

Thanks for the answers! :)

Arise started as 4 slowly released OVA's (40 min long) that were, just in this past season, aired on TV with a bit of a change in order (last arc is now the first) and two new 20 minute episodes added in. Hence the Alternative Architecture subtitle.

Hmm, I recall hearing about Arise. I see.

Oh, nice! I'll definitely watch it then.

Gangsta and Ushio to Tora are really nice. Dragon Ball Super seems nice too.

Ushio and Tora: Good.

Oh boy. I wonder if the Shounen can relive my very recent Majin Bone days

Akagami Shirayuki-hime (Good)
Rokka (Good)
Dragon Ball Super (Good sol shenanigans)
Ushio to Tora (Good)

Chaos Dragon (trash)
Gate (trash)
Never heard of the first two, although I saw those mentioned a bit back.

What are those?

Arcadius

Banned
Non Non Biyori Repeat 1
So are they just going back and adapting material they skipped over for the first season or is there some greater structure to this?

We don't exactly know just yet, but for now let's assume there is greater structure to it all. There were several episodes in NNB that would have flashback segments to setup the characters and their developments, Ren-chon never really had an episode like that dedicated to her, so this first episode of Repeat could be just that, it works really well either way.

Akagami no Shirayuki-hime - 01

Will watch listen for Michiru Oshima music.

The music is astoundingly good, it's like really really amazing and perfect.

This looks so adorable. I shall watch it today for sure.
What sets this apart from the original fairy tale?

From the first episode alone, I'd say that there isn't much that's comparable. They seem pretty different, but I don't know all the details of the original fairytale; you'll see when you watch.

Not sure if I should watch it or wait for the blu-ray. The manga has some nice nipples.

EDIT: Oh, by the way, nyanpasu, animegaf!

Nyanpasu Gbraga!
I'm kind of on the fence about waiting or not either.... odds are I'll just rewatch when the BD comes out

Oh boy. I wonder if the Shounen can relive my very recent Majin Bone days

Never heard of the first two, although I saw those mentioned a bit back.

What are those?

The first one is a Fantasy, Historical, and Romance that I heard is a good well written Shoujo manga. Not the shitty ones, plus the first episode was good and the animation was really good as well. I thought I was watching something out of Disney for a second and the OST was one of the reasons why.

The second one is about heroes trying to kill some Demon but there's a twist. The first episode was good and the Aztec setting helped it standout because it looked beautiful at times. The OST was great and had a good action scene, so I'd say it's a good watch so far. The Staff looks good as well with the Director being the one who did Spice and Wolf.

phaze

I think Arise in particular is more confusing than the average Gits work. It's almost like they said: "what is Gits famous for? Confusing as fuck plots? Let's do that!" without noticing previously the confusedness is more a side effect of what they were doing, not the point.,

I mostly agree but I distinctly remember parts of SAC's second season being equally perplexing.

THE BEST FUCKING ANIME THIS SEASON EPISODE 1

This was actually just straight up better than the manga. AOTY. 10/10. BEST ANIME.

lol

I mostly agree but I distinctly remember parts of SAC's second season being equally perplexing.

Technically I said average, to cover my ass against outlier episodes. :p

I find the second season overrated in comparison with the first season, which was also complex but godly. I'm not sure how some people swears by the second season as it was the best part.

Overlord Episode 1
CJUohnTXAAAR-OE.png

Best trapped in a game world since my favorite SAO. Momonga is so hilarious and his guardians are all quite the characters. Twins are the best part so far with their great attacks.

Looking forward to more. I hope the LN is brought over here. Id read.

Arcadius

Banned
Joukamachi no Dandelion (Castletown Dandelion)

Episode 1 - This is pretty cute. A large family consisting of 9 siblings who all have special powers because they're apart of the royal family. The most important person is Akane, the super shy red headed beauty who is voiced by none other than Kana Hnnnngzawa, so that alone is reason to watch this. It seems like this should be a little ecchi, but I'm not sure. Pantsu shots are all censored, so meh. Cute show though, I like it.

Gbraga

Is Crunchy getting the ATX version? It was just barely censored there.

Mia is second best tho

I don't even know if Crunchyroll is indeed getting Monster Musume, I don't know why I assumed it was. Sorry.

EDIT: Yes it is, ALRIGHT ALRIGHT ALRIGHT!

Squalor

I wanted to give Overlord a chance solely out of goodwill, but Sword Art is so bad that it has ruined the mediocre genre for me at this time.

EDIT: And Charlotte is trash, but it's so terrible that it's hilarious, so I'll give it 2 more episodes to decide if I want to continue.
It didn't even establish that he was in the Defense Force prior to his promotion, which was terrible storytelling.

It just looked as though some random citizen was bossing around actual military personnel, which was ridiculous.

Nah, for me, Charlotte was just so terrible that it was terrible, haha.

Mr.Jeff

I wanted to give Overlord a chance solely out of goodwill, but Sword Art is so bad that it has ruined the mediocre genre for me at this time.
If it's any consolation, it tries to ape Log Horizon rather than SAO. There's less angst from the MC since he doesn't view his situation as being trapped.

That said, maybe the adaptation is garbage. The LN is slow but enjoyable at least.

Jex

Apparently people don't trust Narag (???) so I'm gonna second this completely random and possibly inappropriate recommendation for the Space Adventure Cobra movie. I went hunting for pictures to back me up on this assertion and like half of the good results that Google gave me were straight from Jexhius' photobucket account, so you know it's gotta be good.

Would a picture that stunning really lie to you?
Man, I'd have thought that more people would have spammed images from that movie by now. Dang.

Gbraga

Please don't get mad
VaBNcxc.png

Bikini Warriors 1

I don't think I can post a single image but it was awesome.

What is it about? I'm afraid to google it at work, haha.

It didn't even establish that he was in the Defense Force prior to his promotion, which was terrible storytelling.

It just looked as though some random citizen was bossing around actual military personnel, which was ridiculous.

Nah, for me, Charlotte was just so terrible that it was terrible, haha.

I agree that Charlotte was so terrible that it was terrible, but seemed to take itself so seriously. That opening monologue, man, I was already in tears, so bad.

Jex

i'm serious. There is a couple scenes that are loaded with fanservice but outside of those few scenes there isn't much. thus I wouldn't consider it loaded with fanservise. loaded with fanservice I would save for shows like queens blade or sekirei or Ikkitousen or countless other shows that either the girls are getting their clothes ripped apart by battle or focuses solely on getting boob jiggles and panty shots.
no game no life doesn't remotely get near those in terms of fanservice.

I think you might be in too deep. That show is not only packed with fanservice, it even has relatively graphic loli-service. It's not cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom