• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2016 |OT| Makes Me Happy When Skies Are Grey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cheer Bois - 4
Dropped, just doesnt spark any interest with me. It's like Love Live but with dem goofy bois.

JoJo Stardust Crusaders - 1-9
Brings some good JoJo moments but so far I do prefer Hamon to Stands and the storytelling from earlier parts to this one. It's still pretty ok but might even skip some episodes which I wouldn't even dreamed of doing in Parts 1 and 2.

D Life of Saiki 010-017
Brings good laughs, prefer the daily 5min episodes to the 25min one.

JoJo Stardust Crusaders - 1-9
Brings some good JoJo moments but so far I do prefer Hamon to Stands and the storytelling from earlier parts to this one. It's still pretty ok but might even skip some episodes which I wouldn't even dreamed of doing in Parts 1 and 2.

If you're not feeling Stardust Crusaders, I would recommend skipping straight to the currently airing Diamond is Unbreakable adaptation. As an anime it's much better overall, and I think it'll help you appreciate Stands more.

Quasar

Macross F Movies - Well that was really pretty good, though sad. Really surprising how different it was whilst having the same dna as the show. Grace being especially different in terms of her role in the story.

One other thing was interesting was how much more and varied the music and concert scenes were compared to the show.

Are other Macross movies like this in terms of being reimagined stories rather than edits?

Macross F Movies - Well that was really pretty good, though sad. Really surprising how different it was whilst having the same dna as the show. Grace being especially different in terms of her role in the story.

One other thing was interesting was how much more and varied the music and concert scenes were compared to the show.

Are other Macross movies like this in terms of being reimagined stories rather than edits?

Just Do You Remember Love. Macross Plus just has a different edit, and 7 doesn't have any films.

Qurupeke

The music and the CGI choreography were so good in the movies. Aimo was a nice and plot relevant song, but the series definitely overused it.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
giphy.gif

If you're not feeling Stardust Crusaders, I would recommend skipping straight to the currently airing Diamond is Unbreakable adaptation. As an anime it's much better overall, and I think it'll help you appreciate Stands more.

I wouldn't skip all of SC, up to where the Egypt Arc starts maybe. Watch the J. Geil and Hol Horse episode and the Oingo Boingo episode in the first half.

can we not shame people for not seeing Kizumonogatari

it's a sensitive subject for me

I just watched it again.
It's so good.
It's sooooooo good.

I'm so buying this when Aniplex releases it. I swear on me mum I'm gonna find a way to watch Part II in theaters.

Russ T

Banned
never came out in Canada, couldn't make the closest show in the States

i'd suggest in the future living somewhere that isn't a desolate wasteland for entertainment

probably not the us tho since we'll probably be a LITERAL desolate wasteland a few years into trump's reign

Eumi

i'd suggest in the future living somewhere that isn't a desolate wasteland for entertainment

probably not the us tho since we'll probably be a LITERAL desolate wasteland a few years into trump's reign
Do we know Trump's stance on anime availability?

John Blade

Not going to start where I will be watching Clannad but did watch a bit back in Eng dub and Nagisa Eng voice sound familiar to me. Did a quick check of the voice actress and man....she did quite a bit of work. I still don't know if I could watch this show in English dub but for what I see, it's okay.

Qurupeke

Kizumonogatari I: Tekketsu-hen
MPR was right. It's not so hard to get what is going on if you already know the story and the dialogues. Though I'll probably rewatch it, numerous times. Anyway, I don't think I can add anything that he didn't mention about this movie, so it will be brief.

It is stunning. Everything about it surpassed my expectations. The music, the visuals and the animation were good beyond belief. I really haven't seen anything that optico-acoustically is so good. Even the CGI blended perfectly. This must have been an excellent and unforgettable experience on the big screen. The film is similar to Bakemonogatari rather than the later parts as far as its presentation is concerned, but it's also distinctive and brings something completely new to the series. It feels so fresh.

It's a shame that the movie is 3 parts, though I can see why they decided to do that, as I desperately want to see the next part now...

I didn't even know what Violet Evergarden was. Well I still kinda don't but it's KyoAni so I'll be sure to watch it. Also, Zaregoto Series had already been brought up here and sounds cool. Kuzo no Honkai sounds like something I may enjoy too, the description is a bit vague though.

Gvitor

Alderamin in the Sky is such a weird show. It has the same feeling of a know-all MC that, say, Mahouka (even if Icta is far more likeable) or other LN trash. Only there's like, 3 female characters in the show, 1 barely appears and the other couldn't care less about romance, apparently. The third is a child... (but when did that ever stop anime, amirite)

It has the overly convoluted naming conventions of your typical fantasy LN, like the ridiculous name of the kind and his daughter that I shall not try to type here, but at the same time... it hardly matters. It's chock-full of army jargon and that also hardly matters. Everyone has this weird spirit thingies and they barely bother explaining, but that also hardly matters. Because somehow in this messed mash-up of LN tropes, it's entertaining.

I'm digging it.

ReLIFE 13 END

The sequence flashing back through the series through Hishiro's eyes, with the overlapping audio and visual editing and the whole-tone influenced harmonies in the piano, was magical. I got chills down my spine. Overall, as incomplete adaptations go, this episode came to a good stopping point that made me feel that a definite character arc had been accomplished.

This show was much better than I expected it to be. Some of that is due to the material being more serious and sensitive than you might expect from a manga with the premise of an adult going back to high school, but the main reason is because the director, Tomochi Kosaka, showed an uncommon amount of skill in handling the material. He's an animator and prop designer who barely has any directing credits to his name, a couple storyboards on DEEN shows and one episode direction credit on Yowamushi Pedal, so what he managed to pull off here is quite impressive. He doesn't seem to have had much resources to work with under him at TMS Entertainment here - the animation and photography work is mediocre at best and often downright poor. Junko Yamanaka's character designs are rough and awkward. Getting Studio Pablo on board for backgrounds is always appreciated, of course, and they definitely helped elevate what would otherwise surely have been painfully bland environments, but they didn't have a whole lot to work with in the setting and sometimes the photography got in the way of their work.

Still, for all those visual weakness, the storyboards were consistently solid in how they framed each episode's events, even engaging in many inventive tricks to visualize the internal emotions of the characters. What also helped with the emotional expression was very strong sound work, work which reminds me of some of the greatest masters of sound in anime such as Hiroshi Nagahama. The voice acting itself was well done, with each character well characterized by their manner of speaking. Kensho Ono must be particularly commended for strong acting as the main character Kaizaki; he gave Kaizaki just the right playful tone when he was fooling around while also giving him appropriate pathos in the more serious scenes. I can hardly believe that Ono also played the eternally monotone Tanaka in Tanaka-kun is Always Listless last season; he sounds like a completely different person there. The music, by jazz pianist Masayasu Tsuboguchi, was deployed in a manner that's unusual for anime. It was carefully edited such that the soundtrack followed every twist and turn of the emotional feelings of the characters. In many moments, the music would consist of small licks separated by silence, and those licks would be arranged such that they each corresponded to a particular moment of character acting. Although I know this didn't happen, since music was reused in multiple episodes after all, it often felt like Tsuboguchi was improvising the score as the episode took place. As a musician, this careful consideration of how to use music to enhance the storytelling, as opposed to the more vague and generalized use of music in most TV and film, is something I very much respect.

I would recommend this show to anyone who doesn't mind dealing with some unattractive visuals, as it is an example of well-done, thoughtfully considered character drama. I hope to see Kosaka get more directing opportunities in the future, preferably with a better visual team underneath them so that what he tries to convey doesn't have to be partially compromised.

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: Diamond is Unbreakable - 13

He may be an old, tired geezer now, but Old Man Jojo's still got some spunk left in him.

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: Diamond is Unbreakable - 14

Araki sneak self-inserting himself into the show like this is amazing.

Cornbread78

Hybrid x Heart ep.4
Lolololololol
I absolutely love how they cap off a nice emotional and serious moment (for the characters) with 5 mins of straight hentai to get her off and give her "immoral weapon" power... I can't even.... This is lower than shit. And that twist at the end, lol, wtf was that? Oh damn this is bad.

Verelios

Kizumonogatari

Wow. What can I say except it was absolutely brilliant. Great cinematography (Kabukimonogatari could have used that budget) animation and faithful adaption. It felt great seeing all the small parts I loved in the novel get fleshed out in movie, and it really hits home the Monogatari series 'both sides' theme. I couldn't stop watching it from the first second. And I'll be first to say that Spring Break Hanekawa is BEST Hanekawa. Seriously, it's insane how much of an oddity she is and I love it.

Pouring one out for the best team in anime.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom