• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2016 |OT| Makes Me Happy When Skies Are Grey

Status
Not open for further replies.

jgminto

I decided to finish the first season of Cute High Earth Defense Club LOVE! since I haven't had much to watch during the week. The finale of the first season is so fantastic. The ridiculous twist, the absurd interactions between mascots, the MORE BETTER forms. It's such a fun parody of the magical heroes genre and I'd recommend it to anyone who genuinely appreciates the Sailor Moons and Precures.

So now that I'm finally at my computer I can more properly gush about MEGATON MUSASHI.

THIS SHOW LOOKS SUPER ROBOT AF.

CoaM6T4VUAA3sb1.jpg:large
CoaOtRzVUAADSMh.jpg:large

THIS STORY LOOKS SUPER ROBOT AF.

The story takes place after 90 percent of humanity wiped out due to an invasion. Survivors live in a shelter where their lives are monitored, and memories of the invasion erased. Three teenagers from the shelter are chosen to pilot three machines that combine to form the Musashi robot, made out of a material named Megatronium alloy. The series will balance robot action with school life.

Finally, an upcoming super robot anime with a PV I can legit look forward to. No more of this uncertainty crap like with Comet Lucifer or Regalia.

This show says: YOU LIKE GOOD SUPER ROBOTS? HERE'S YOUR SUPER ROBOT WITH EVERYTHING GOOD ABOUT SUPER ROBOTS!

Shirobako 18

The steady spiraling out of control in the latter part of this episode, culminating in Yano returning at MusAni's greatest hour of need, was perfect, especially with the escalating music. Looking forward to seeing how she helps save Third Girls!

I must say, I think Hiraoka may be an even worse PA than Tarou. Tarou may be unreliable and borderline incompetent, but at least he's enthusiastic. Hiraoka is so apathetic he barely does his job, and his recommendation to use Studio Taitanic has resulted in a worse catastrophe than anything Tarou has done.

Can't help it, he's just that good!!!!

Hopefully Monday will be a satisfying day for you then.

i like super robots but i dont like the design of those super robots, they remind me of mighty no 9

CG Robots usually tend to look terrible but I like this one since they manage not to over-design it and that the mecha itself looks like a character.

I'll take this a hundred times over the Aquarion mechs.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I decided to finish the first season of Cute High Earth Defense Club LOVE! since I haven't had much to watch during the week. The finale of the first season is so fantastic. The ridiculous twist, the absurd interactions between mascots, the MORE BETTER forms. It's such a fun parody of the magical heroes genre and I'd recommend it to anyone who genuinely appreciates the Sailor Moons and Precures.
Let's love making into battle lovers!

Unfortunately S2 isn't as good because S1 can't really be topped but I'm still watching to see what they can come up with.

John Blade

Welp...done watching the After Story. Love it for what it's and how it's done. I will go watch the OVA and stop for today. The movie will be look at tomorrow and from there, I am done this franchise completely. Would thanks the people ask me to look into it. So many years when I ask about it and bought the Blu-ray for it. Some of those members is now banned and wish they're back to celebrate this time. Will post the big impression later as this is something you need to let it sink in a bit.

Now, just need to go back watching the other show I hold for a while now.

Yeah, Level-5 always has a design problem, outside of Layton perhaps. These robots look worse than Kuromukuro's robots, if you ask me.

Can't say I agree with this.

Kuromukuro's robots, particularly its main one, lacks in style to me. There's nothing really that distinctive about it to give a proper "main mecha" vibe. Sure, obviously compared to the rest of the robots in the show it's recognizable as the main mecha, but I feel like I've already seen this design used for a grunt villain's mecha in a Gundam show or something.

Meanwhile with Megaton Musashi, the main robot's design has more personality to it. It's got that look in its eyes, that bulky build, that posture. It does poses before it uses its special moves. The mecha looks like a character in of itself.

Have there been better super robot designs? Absolutely. But this one feels like somebody actually cared about making this robot look like an actual Super Robot and giving it its own distinctive feel to me. And that's pretty rare in the anime industry nowadays.

Are there any good anime podcasts worth listening to? I listen to a ton of podcasts but I realize I've never listened to any about anime.

I listen to Otaku Spirit every now and then. Two dudes, very passionate about anime and they cover a bunch of topics. Check them out, maybe you'll enjoy listening to them.

Decado

Thinking about grabbing a month of Crunchyroll (did the trial a while back). Probably won't stick with them as so much of their stuff is censored, but want to finish a few shows for now.

Any of these censored/better to wait for blu-ray or other services?

Joker Game
Lupin the IIIrd 4th series
Iron Blooded Orphans
JoJo

Figure I'd try these then save for a later date if not censored:

99 Days
Berserk
Alderamin

thx

Can't say I agree with this.

Kuromukuro's robots, particularly its main one, lacks in style to me. There's nothing really that distinctive about it to give a proper "main mecha" vibe. Sure, obviously compared to the rest of the robots in the show it's recognizable as the main mecha, but I feel like I've already seen this design used for a grunt villain's mecha in a Gundam show or something.

Meanwhile with Megaton Musashi, the main robot's design has more personality to it. It's got that look in its eyes, that bulky build, that posture. It does poses before it uses its special moves. The mecha looks like a character in of itself.

Have there been better super robot designs? Absolutely. But this one feels like somebody actually cared about making this robot look like an actual Super Robot and giving it its own distinctive feel to me. And that's pretty rare in the anime industry nowadays.

Here is where we differ on our feelings about robots. You prioritize the Burning Passion of super robots above all else. I get that. I'm not inherently interested in that, however, and the Megaton Musashi robots don't look particularly attractive to me. My ideal robot designs are those which are sleek and curvy, such as Nagano's designs for Five Star Stories. Kuromukuro doesn't fall into that category, but I appreciate the samurai-esque designs of the artifact mecha, especially that of the titular mech, and how those designs are used in combat. Megaton Musashi looks goofy in a bad way to me, such as the eyes on the blue robot.

But I'm happy for you. Since this is Level-5 aiming for a children's audience, you won't have to worry about this being a bizarre otaku trope fest like Regalia.

I listen to Otaku Spirit every now and then. Two dudes, very passionate about anime and they cover a bunch of topics. Check them out, maybe you'll enjoy listening to them.
Otaku spirit and ANN podcast are probably the only good anime podcast out there and I searched a lot for good ones. All others either seems unprofessional or are simply terrible.

So yea the Otaku spirit podcast is great I back this up.

Thinking about grabbing a month of Crunchyroll (did the trial a while back). Probably won't stick with them as so much of their stuff is censored, but want to finish a few shows for now.

If you mean Diamond is Unbreakable, it is censored but it isn't even close to as bad as Stardust Crusaders with the cigarette stuff.

I was about to catch up on my anime backlog but then I realized I forgot another white man show. RIP anime.

the duckroll influence

http://www.funimation.com/blog/2016...ning-english-cast-of-tales-of-zestiria-the-x/

Zestiria's English cast

Robbie Daymond Sorey
Philip Lamont Mikleo
Alexis Tipton Alisha
Caitlin Glass Rose
Ian Sinclair Zaveid
Chris Niosi Dezel
Christine Marie Cabanos Symonne
T. Axelrod Bartlow
Carrie Keranen Lailah
Kira Buckland Edna
Austin Tindle Lunarre
The one that had to keep his game VA had to change nooooooooo. I'll give him a chance but I'm bummed. I loved Michael Johnston voice so much.

At least the rest seems to be all the original cast.

Cornbread78

How dare you. Ed is great.
^boo this man
What am I reading!
Dreadful post. Bad form.
I used to like you, dude. :/
What is this madness I'm reading?

Oh shit, the Edward Defense Force is strong!

Maybe he will grow on me... we'll see...

Cowboy Bebop ep.10

Oh, poor Jet. At least he manned up and got his money this time. Good episode with a nice story and cool chase scene.

Otaku spirit and ANN podcast are probably the only good anime podcast out there and I searched a lot for good ones. All others either seems unprofessional or are simply terrible.

So yea the Otaku spirit podcast is great I back this up.

Totally forgot about ANN, also good stuff.

And yeah just like GoldCrusader said, these two are good and put out quality content. I too did not find anything anything that was both interesting and that sounded good or was organized. I'm okay with banter with friends, but for that I'd rather just hop on here and read the thread.

TissueBox

Just re-watched Wolf Children after last week's first viewing and would just like to applaud the remarkably pretty, swooning soundtrack. When sad it wields a broken, disparate grace; when happy, it's irresistibly sweet. Most ridiculous (-ly good, that is), though, is the eccentric, jangly multi-instrumentation. It melts into the movie so distinctively that it resurrects it upon each listen. A real treat, imo!!

As for the film itself, it was immediately quite good; subtextually great. Overall, it feels short, but not necessarily incomplete. Themes of young adult values in contemporary society, lineage, and parenting translate softly but with a surprising strength, I think. Its main draw is in how emotional it makes you, in a way, and in more ways than one, it triumphs, but not in that bombastic Pixar/Disney fashion -- but that whispery, opaque kind of way. And for some, that's the finest breed of bittersweet.

Overall, another Hosoda doozy to check off the list!! This and Saint Young Men have been two smooth sailing joy-rides in a row, so far. Gonna have to check out Mob Psych -- er, I mean, The Boy and the Beast for the next magical mellowness-dispensary I got in line, aha-haa..ha..!

Shirobako 19

The scene at the old Musashino Douga was touching. It was the strongest indication yet that Shirobako is being made by people with strong affection for the anime industry, both historically and now. It dovetails with Yano and Hiraoka's discussion about those who retain the love for the job and those who quickly grow disillusioned and stop caring. As an idealist and an artist myself, I'm on Yano's side here.

It's lovely that the show was able to get Hiromasa Ogura himself to draw the backgrounds being drawn for the in-show anime by the Ogura stand-in. Mizushima has worked with Ogura in the past in his shows at I.G (xxxHolic and Blood-C), so it makes sense for him to chose Ogura as a model for a legendary background art director.

Here is where we differ on our feelings about robots. You prioritize the Burning Passion of super robots above all else. I get that. I'm not inherently interested in that, however, and the Megaton Musashi robots don't look particularly attractive to me. My ideal robot designs are those which are sleek and curvy, such as Nagano's designs for Five Star Stories. Kuromukuro doesn't fall into that category, but I appreciate the samurai-esque designs of the artifact mecha, especially that of the titular mech, and how those designs are used in combat. Megaton Musashi looks goofy in a bad way to me, such as the eyes on the blue robot.

But I'm happy for you. Since this is Level-5 aiming for a children's audience, you won't have to worry about this being a bizarre otaku trope fest like Regalia.

The eyes are honestly one of the positives to me lol.

But yeah, I like it when my robots are designed with the super robot spirit in mind, as I like to call it. Just those hotblooded, fierce-looking designs that look like they were made to do crazy stuff.

All in all it feels good to be legit excited for a good old fashioned super robot show without worry this time.

A shame CorvoSol probably won't watch it since he's hated everything Level 5 ever since he watched Gundam AGE, haha.

Everyone knows I'm not "literate" enough on the mecha genre and its history, but as an anime watcher in general, I don't think anything tops the Evas design for me. The colour palate, the design, it is something that has yet to be beaten from my memory as being the ultimate badass looking giant mecha.

Just look at them.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Are there any good anime podcasts worth listening to? I listen to a ton of podcasts but I realize I've never listened to any about anime.
There used to be a time where we could pretend Anime World Order was good. Now they do not even try to hide that they are terrible people, so they rep the new Berserk and Kabaneri.

Everyone knows I'm not "literate" enough on the mecha genre and its history, but as an anime watcher in general, I don't think anything tops the Evas design for me. The colour palate, the design, it is something that has yet to be beaten from my memory as being the ultimate badass looking giant mecha.

Just look at them.

Same but I think my favorite are the MP Evas. They're so good.

Sterok

Aikatsu Stars 15

Woah, S4 competition along with proteges. Yuzu is fucked without a major character with her. Too bad, since her performance looked neat. Unless Haruka becomes a reoccurring character, which I doubt. Hime and Laura are both the aces of their classes, while Tsubasa and Ako are largely unknowns. Meanwhile, the Kasumi sisters could've taken it, but Mahiru squanders it by being a dick. Jeez, did she expect her sister to hang out with her forever? Nice seeing Yozora get angry for once. Finally break her cool demeanor. At least they made up. Hopefully for good this time. Hm, next episode is focusing on Laura, and Ako and Tsubasa have yet to debut. Yeah, Song Class is going to sweep.

Netoge rewatch dubwatch

Will miss our weekly does of the mamajama, this dub was hilarious and fun which was perfect for the anime. Need more Rusian.

Heroaca rewatch dubwatch

Dub is perfect, will buy. I prefer yuki kaji todoroki but he didnt speak much. Also Kaminari sounded perfect. Best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom