• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2016 |OT| Makes Me Happy When Skies Are Grey

Status
Not open for further replies.
ROUND VERNIAN VIFAM #04 Orbiting Belwick! The Silent Base!

Coa4cNJWAAAOrRc.jpg:small

Well with so few of the soldiers left, the professor has no choice but to rely on the over excited kids in this age of constant anti human aggression. I still laughed at them rushing to the shuttle so soon after witnessing the soldiers being eliminated, dont they sense the danger?

Shirobako 20

Hiraoka is a quintessential example of a bad worker, in a completely different sense from Tarou. Having them buddy up could lead to something quite interesting.

Aki-at

My Love Story - 1

I haven't even finished Lovely Complex and I'm already moving onto a new romance series. Very enjoyable first episode, the reaction faces and close ups are great and I'm looking forward to watching more but doing quick research, the manga is yet to be concluded so I don't know if I'm going to like how the series ends.

Nintendoman really is a Sonic fan, his Hope never falters no matter what. Nagito would be proud.

If only he was the Sonic fans who end up becoming cynics and hating the very thing they once adored, kind of like anime fans!

Squishy3

My Love Story - 1

I haven't even finished Lovely Complex and I'm already moving onto a new romance series. Very enjoyable first episode, the reaction faces and close ups are great and I'm looking forward to watching more but doing quick research, the manga is yet to be concluded so I don't know if I'm going to like how the series ends.

If only he was the Sonic fans who end up becoming cynics and hating the very thing they once adored, kind of like anime fans!
Takeo is my favorite romance protagonist

My Love Story was fantastic, and a great recommendation from folks here, when for half of its run I completely dismissed it as a gag show based off of the poster. It turned out to be one of the most refreshing SoL shows to come out in a while.

duckroll

How is that anyway? I've been a bit interested, though I've heard that the OVA (or was it a movie?) is a bit confusing for people who haven't read the manga.

It's short, it's beautiful, and it's retro as hell. I think it makes enough sense as a stand alone slice of a larger story. Obviously there's a lot more going on which isn't explained or detailed, but whatever. Nagano designs for life!

Aki-at

Takeo is my favorite romance protagonist

My Love Story was fantastic, and a great recommendation from folks here, when for half of its run I completely dismissed it as a gag show based off of the poster. It turned out to be one of the most refreshing SoL shows to come out in a while.

Glad to hear both of you were satisfied with it, I think I'm going to love it then. The fact the main character doesn't have boyish looks is a plus for me heh.

Cornbread78

My Love Story - 1

Don't worry, this one is better. So sticky sweet!

Narag

It's short, it's beautiful, and it's retro as hell. I think it makes enough sense as a stand alone slice of a larger story. Obviously there's a lot more going on which isn't explained or detailed, but whatever. Nagano designs for life!

Yeah I never felt lost watching it.

https://twitter.com/regalia_anime/status/758482109589708800
https://twitter.com/regalia_anime/status/758482187435991041

Holy shit. If I'm reading this correctly, Regalia production was apparently enough of a disaster, or they were so dissatisfied with the quality of the show so far, that after episode 4, they're just going to temporarily stop airing the show, regroup, and start over again from the first episode in September. Can anyone confirm?

Message from the official site (http://regalia-anime.com/0727.html):

The biggest of Regalia is it air at same time with Kuromukuro.
By "same time" doesn't mean just same week, it's even air at same day and same time lol, i don't even understand why both show under same production company could made this kind of decision.

How is that anyway? I've been a bit interested, though I've heard that the OVA (or was it a movie?) is a bit confusing for people who haven't read the manga.

Five Star Stories is worth watching. I don't honestly remember much about the story, but the visuals are the real star here. Excellent mech designs and animation.

Verelios

Bojack Horseman Season 1

WOW. Just wow. I'm legitimately surprised at how much I enjoyed this. Normally, when GAF swears up and down for a cartoon (Adventure Time) I'm skeptical because they're usually terrible. Ice picks in my knees terrible. Bojack though, it was an amazing experience into the life of a washed up has-been actor and the ails of Hollywood on the psyche. The first few episodes start out rough, really rough, but when the ball starts rolling you could tell the directors weren't horsing around. Would definitely recommend this white man's show to anyone as it's great, just not Ricky and Morty great.

Orange 4

I enjoy the unique rhythm Hamasaki is bringing to the daily life scenes. Comparing this to Battery, another real-world character drama currently airing, I feel much more engaged in this. Battery is fine, but there hasn't been anything about its presentation so far that's made it feel memorable in any way, that makes it feel like it has a point as an alternative version of the source material. Orange doesn't settle for just taking the standard route, so it feels like a more compelling project.

ibyea

Banned

Holy shit. If I'm reading this correctly, Regalia production was apparently enough of a disaster, or they were so dissatisfied with the quality of the show so far, that after episode 4, they're just going to temporarily stop airing the show, regroup, and start over again from the first episode in September. Can anyone confirm?

So what happened with this anime that was such a disaster?

duckroll

So what happened with this anime that was such a disaster?

I wonder if there is anything unique about the production hiccups, or if this is a rare case of the production committee actually agreeing to nip the production issue at the bud instead of airing embarrassingly incomplete or unsatisfactory content. I don't watch the show, but I can think of many shows which could have benefited from going off air to come back stronger, so in that sense, maybe the production issues aren't any worse than the typical TV anime, just with more understanding sponsors?

ibyea

Banned
I wonder if there is anything unique about the production hiccups, or if this is a rare case of the production committee actually agreeing to nip the production issue at the bud instead of airing embarrassingly incomplete or unsatisfactory content. I don't watch the show, but I can think of many shows which could have benefited from going off air to come back stronger, so in that sense, maybe the production issues aren't any worse than the typical TV anime, just with more understanding sponsors?

Ah I see, so that is one possibility.

Syrinx

Amanchu 3

This is where I admit I never actually quite understood how air pressure in your body worked. Or I did understand but forgot. I need to science more.

Looks like next episode will finally have diving. Though I do enjoy watching Pikari and Teko and sensei and kitties interact, healing anime generally shouldn't take this long before engaging in their core theme. Hope it's worth the wait.

blurr

Watch it for the fabulous 80s hair, Clov.

Watch it for the Knight of Gold, Nintendoman.

good god, these look glorious

The Walking Dead Season 2 01-03

I don't know if I can call this a "follow up" - doesn't add much to the first game but regardless, it's been an intense experience so far. Utterly brutal at times.

ibyea

Banned
Danganronpa 3 - Despair: 2
It was funny and I enjoyed the episode except for that one really gross part. Star of the episode was Nanami Chiaki, who feels like she is sort of trapped into one thing due to her talent, but finds that her interests can be used to bring people together.

Danganronpa 3 - Future: 3
WHAT THE HELL THOSE TROLLS SHE WAS NOT REALLY DEAD AAAARRGHHHH

Honestly shock factor aside not much happened in this episode aside from people going around and doing stuff on their own.

91 Days: 2-3
I really like this show. So far, it's a typical revenge/mafia story, but I don't mind.

Mob Psycho 100: 2-3
Show keeps delivering creative visual, really elevates what is a decent material about a boy with loneliness and emotional repression issues. Interestingly, as scummy as the fraud guy is, I see why Shigeo sticks with him, he certainly does feel like the only person who cares about him in his lonely world.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Narag would rather watch Best Wishes than Origins.

Narag

Narag would rather watch Best Wishes than Origins.

People keep advertising Origins as mature pokemon but since they're also anime fans, I'm forced to interpret this as lots of blood, cursing, and probably a Primeape committing some Primerape. Meanwhile Best Wishes! has so far had deep theological discussion about the nature of Zekrom, devoted an episode to institutionalized pokeracism and how stereotypes must be overcome as a society, and explored the power of dreams.

Hey guys

I've been trying to find an anime I saw when I was very little, so I barely remember a couple of scenes from it.

I think I saw it late 80s or early 90s. It featured a harmless-looking mole character that transformed into a giant, vicious mole monster with long claws. What shocked me about it is that the mole monster actually murdered a woman (I was very young and I had never seen anything like it). This scene took place in a forest, and I think the mole monster had been trapped in a pit, or maybe it was the girl that was trapped, can't quite remember.

Thanks much! And apologies if this is not the appropriate thread for this question.

Mandelbo

Suddenly I'm significantly more interested in the show now that it's this much of a trainwreck :p

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Origins is true to the games in a way the anime never was.

ibyea

Banned
People keep advertising Origins as mature pokemon but since they're also anime fans, I'm forced to interpret this as lots of blood, cursing, and probably a Primeape committing some Primerape. Meanwhile Best Wishes! has so far had deep theological discussion about the nature of Zekrom, devoted an episode to institutionalized pokeracism and how stereotypes must be overcome as a society, and explored the power of dreams.

So much heresy on this post.

Mailbox

Origins is true to the games in a way the anime never was.

and has super rushed pacing. I'd love a 24 episode series of pokemon origins in its style, because the episodes we got just felt way too fast and didn't show enough. Really felt like a greatest hits of pokemon red/blue rather than a proper adaptation to me.

Quasar

Real talk I love Rick and morty but venture bros will always be the best white people cartoon for me.

I still think BTAS would be that for me. Maybe. I have no idea what those shows actually are, but then I'd not really watched much if any US cartoons since probably 'King of the Hill'. Well leaving aside the DCU animated stuff and Clone Wars.

I still think BTAS would be that for me. Maybe. I have no idea what those shows actually are, but then I'd not really watched much if any US cartoons since probably 'King of the Hill'. Well leaving aside the DCU animated stuff and Clone Wars.

Well B:TAS is the best. Nothing really comes close save for comedies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom