• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sunnyvale 4 bed/2 bath 1988 sqft house sells for $782,000 over asking price

Anoxida

Man, you shouldnt pay that kind of money for a house with that flooring just on principle. Not trying to start shit but I honestly dont know how ya'll can stand carpet bro. Good thing it doesn't exist in my country, even on the cheapest of cheap properties.

If this isn't a sign we're in a massive housing bubble that's going to implode soon I don't know what is.

tumblr_inline_om2bhssdK01tltquo_540.png

HeySeuss

That's happening all over, although not to the extreme as the one in the op. When I was looking to buy the house, I put offers on 6 houses and every offer I made was above list price because it had to be to have a chance to get it. Some would only be on the market for a few days before they were in contract. If the area is desirable, it's a seller's market and has been for awhile now.

I don't think it's a bad sign of any type of crash, there just are not many houses available. It's simple supply and demand. In my area, if your house is on the market for more than a month, you've either priced it too high trying to gouge people or there is something wrong with the house that is keeping people away.

Mabase

It's funny having this article about the historic nature of this sale, coupled with the photos of the aggressive normalness of that house.

OT: What a wonderful wonderful expression. It encapsulates how crazy the world has become.
I will use this from now on, thank you.

Kill3r7

Looks like a normal house to me.

Correct but the number one rule of real estate is location, location, location. You can change the way the house looks, you can change the landscaping but you can't change the location short of buying a new home.

navii

My fantasy is that my girlfriend was actually a young high school girl.
If u gonna overspend I cant think of a better thing to overspend on then property. Its only going to increase in value, few other things increase in value after you have purchased them.

weekev

Banned
Looks like we will be getting a sequel to The Big Short. Anyone wanna chip in with me to short some broker shares and we could be the stars?

Is there a CO with the property? What is the zoning and use? If no CO and the property is zoned for commercial or multi family use, this guy just got himself one hell of a deal.

KHlover

Banned
Agreed. Saw the OP and thought, that's what 2.5 million gets you? Not worth it.
Then drop 200k on it to make it look nice and sell for three and a half mil in five years or just keep living in it, if it's actually a family buying in it.

tokkun

Supply and demand

Nope, the last real bubble was fueled by rampant industry fraud and loans being approved for people that couldn't afford them and that was regulated away. 2017 prices are just more buyers than houses... all over California.

No bubble and no implosion in sight

The thing about the demand is that not that many people really want to live in areas like Sunnyvale if not for the employers nearby. The demand growth is heavily dependent on tech companies hiring.

I have to think that eventually these companies will realize that it affects their bottom line to hire most of their employees in one of the most expensive areas in the world, where they need to keep increasing salaries to offset the cost-of-living. Look at what Amazon is doing right now, building a new headquarters outside of Seattle. I think they are at the vanguard of a trend of tech companies shifting their hiring to more affordable locations so they can pay lower salaries.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
Yep, I'm never moving back to the bay. The house I grew up in in Fremont is listed for 1.5 on Zillow now, which is 1.2 more than my parents bought it for in 88. They're going to sell it, buy one twice as nice and bigger for less than half the price in Utah in a couple years.

I bought a place in the suburbs of Salt Lake for 158k end of 2012, sold it for 230k in 2014 because we had to relocate, now it's listed over 300k. These gains don't seem sustainable to me...

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
There is a wonderful Shed and Breakfast down the road as well

Trailer-Park-Boys-Season-8-Trailer.jpg

Things can get a bit greasy there though.

Catdaddy

4 bedrooms in less than 2000 feet? wtf is it anything but bedrooms?

As an avid viewer of HGTV (my wife got me hooked), I see houses like this pop up and in at
least two of them you can pretty much only fit a small bed and couple pieces of furniture.

I don't see how people can afford to live in places like this - makes me wonder what the minimum household income is needed for something like this. Are interest only mortgages a thing in CA?

DonShula

That's a $185k house in the Midwest.

Preach. In places where that house is $185K, $2.5mil will get you something amazing.

Having lived in the Midwest all my life, I can't fathom spending that amount of money and only getting that house in return.

HariKari

I don't think it's a bad sign of any type of crash, there just are not many houses available.

Household debt rising
Housing scarcity and prices rising
Wages stagnant in real terms
Coming automation culling of jobs
Retail apocalypse
Unsustainable student loan debt
Influx of foreign money
etc...

There will be another crash. Buy then.

g11

Really makes you wonder what all that Silicon Valley money is worth when all it lets you buy is a mediocre house and a 40 mile commute each way.

Sounds like the seller could have saved cash by just tearing the whole house down and selling the land for 2.25 million or something.

The house was built in 1963. How does paying someone to tear it down save the seller any money?

oneils

Sounds like the seller could have saved cash by just tearing the whole house down and selling the land for 2.25 million or something.

Edit: huh maybe not. Looking at the pics it looks like they just painted and rented some furniture and called it a day. Damn, good job.

ShyMel

I think the inside actually looks pretty nice. I looked up my family's house on the website and when including our basement, our house is almost 1000 sq ft more but cost about 12% of the Sunnyvale house. We live in North Carolina for reference. Location, location, location!

nillapuddin

I just got beat on a $189,900 house in Florida and I'm like, Welp, can't go much higher.

This shit is unbelievable. There are real problems with home costs in this country.

*the house was 1400ft, 3/2, 2 car garage, vaulted ceilings, built in 06.

zelas

Really makes you wonder what all that Silicon Valley money is worth when all it lets you buy is a mediocre house and a 40 mile commute each way.
All it let's you buy???

Millions of people would take the hundreds of thousands of dollars those people are making to have a well off early retirement, great healthcare, plenty of money to educate their kids anywhere, etc etc. People have longer commutes and equally unimpressive houses while making less.

The CA tech industry situation is completely different from everywhere else.

The drive to own a home is really strong. I'd like to think that if I was forced to live in that area I would be content to rent at a slightly less exorbitant rate, but the pull of home ownership esp with kids in the picture is nigh impossible to ignore, for Americans at least.

AP90

Sweet jesus.. That's crazy. When my SO and I were looking for a house, we got out-bidded by like 10k cash once or twice before were finally able to secure our current home (thankfully we did not have to get into a bidding war)

We were using Zillow and realtor.com (never used redfin, sure is similar to the others) for house searching.

God bless whoever bought that house 20 years ago for $125k.

My wife's family is from California and her aunt/uncle seriously cashed out doing this. They both sold their homes for a massive profit and retired to a lower cost of living state. And the homes they both live in are much nicer than the ones they sold, lol.

t26

The drive to own a home is really strong. I'd like to think that if I was forced to live in that area I would be content to rent at a slightly less exorbitant rate, but the pull of home ownership esp with kids in the picture is nigh impossible to ignore, for Americans at least.

Rent isn't cheap in bay area either, and it is keep going up because a lot of people can't afford to buy.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
I was expecting a dump, but it's pretty nice inside. Has a nice backyard too.

Top Bottom