• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sunnyvale 4 bed/2 bath 1988 sqft house sells for $782,000 over asking price

So hot property in hot real estate market in Bay Area sells for high price? Where's the news? I think the news is that real estate agents there probably aren't very good at their job if they can't accurately predict the market.

prag16

Banned
Location location location...that house is 175,000 where I live lol.

Yeah. $300k to $350k in my town ought to do it. And I live in CT, in a town that's top 10 in the state for median income. Ain't exactly "some midwest town" (see below).

This

What some gaffers don't get is that some of these people put up with the high cost of living because their quality of life is to them way better than staying in some midwest town

As if there's no in between. $2.4mm for that house is unfathomable. There are areas in the tri-state area up my way with higher median incomes than Silicon Valley. Even in rich as fuck NYC suburbs $2.4mm will go a lot farther than that thing. This part of the northeast is hardly "some midwest town". You can't tell me Silicon Valley quality of life is zomg so much higher.

Yeah. $300k to $350k in my town ought to do it. And I live in CT, in a town that's top 10 in the state for median income. Ain't exactly "some midwest town" (see below).

As if there's no in between. $2.4mm for that house is unfathomable. There are areas in the tri-state area up my way with higher median incomes than Silicon Valley. Even in rich as fuck NYC suburbs $2.4mm will go a lot farther than that thing. This part of the northeast is hardly "some midwest town".
Yea but snow tho

Seriously weather can be a really big factor

Bay area weather is really mild and temperate compared to other parts of the US

Switch Back 9

a lot of my threads involve me fucking up somehow. Perhaps I'm a moron?
Man, trailer parks are a lot more expensive than I thought.

nRqEDYm.jpg

As if there's no in between. $2.4mm for that house is unfathomable. There are areas in the tri-state area up my way with higher median incomes than Silicon Valley. Even in rich as fuck NYC suburbs $2.4mm will go a lot farther than that thing. This part of the northeast is hardly "some midwest town". You can't tell me Silicon Valley quality of life is zomg so much higher.

East coast summers and winters are way worse though. You have both hot and humidity during the summer and then snow in the winter. The Bay Area has neither of these and yet at the same time snow is just a quick drive away if you want it during the winter. Summers are usually low to mid 80s for the most part with the occasional spike and definitely no humidity.

usctrojan

dang it's almost like people are willing to spend a lot of money to live wherever they want so long as they can afford it.

let's wait and call bubble when the world stops relying on the super sweet high-revenue tech most of these high income earners are working on.

see5harp

Despite understanding how great it is to live on the west coast, I think a lot of people here live in their own bubble. A lot of people I know would be perfectly fine living in a city like Chicago. I'd personally argue that despite the shitty winter, Chicago is a much cooler city to live in than San Francisco and the food scene is just as vibrant. Hell, I'd much rather live in San Diego than struggle in S.F. right now.

Despite understanding how great it is to live on the west coast, I think a lot of people here live in their own bubble. A lot of people I know would be perfectly fine living in a city like Chicago. I'd personally argue that despite the shitty winter, Chicago is a much cooler city to live in than San Francisco and the food scene is just as vibrant. Hell, I'd much rather live in San Diego than struggle in S.F. right now.
That's the beauty of preference

I personally don't want to be berated just because I pay more to live in a city like SF because I personally think that it's a great city despite what the majority ofwhat GAF thinks

tokkun

This

What some gaffers don't get is that some of these people put up with the high cost of living because their quality of life is to them way better than staying in some midwest town

Of course I'm not speaking about Sunnyvale though that place is boring af (I lived there for about 6 months)

Well, the fact that we are talking about Sunnyvale is really the crux of the issue. It is no surprise that SF is expensive, given that it is a tiny area surrounded by water. Most metropolitan cities have some area that is crazy expensive and full of rich people, like Manhattan. The difference is that in SF the rich person prices extend out throughout the whole region, including in places that are not very desirable, all other things being equal. Sunnyvale is a shitty suburban wasteland, and there are any number of nicer places to live in the Midwest or otherwise with far, far lower cost-of-living.

broz0rs

The whole reason why there's an explosion in housing prices in Sunnyvale is because of that UFO that's parked in the middle of the city known as Apple HQ. Same real estate explosion happened to Palo Alto when Google became big, and to Menlo Park when Facebook became public.

I live in Sunnyvale, and the houses here are pretty shitty imho. They are some of the older houses in the South Bay and Peninsula, but they are being remodeled to look decent. They still maintain their awful structure.

To be frank, I just think people in the Bay don't like to drive and there's so much money being made by high level employees they don't mind paying these prices just to be able to drive five blocks to work with their Tesla vehicles. That's another thing, there's so many fucking Teslas here.

Top Bottom