• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sunset Overdrive runs at 30 fps/900p

Status
Not open for further replies.

BokehKing

Banned
whaaaaaa?

so its official now... any xbone game even if its exclusive will be expected to do 30fps at 900p.

my buddy just said "xbone should be renamed to Xbox 900p". couldn't agree more.

I hope they port it to pc.
Ugh.. Well it was nice knowing ya.

I thought for sure this would hit 60fps though, the whole style of it screams 60fps :/

I'm sure it will still be fun but... Grinding on rails then shooting or both St the same time, at 60fps would have felt great

vpance

MS and Sony were so fucking cheap with these systems this gen. not surprised to hear that we still have to do 900p on X1.

PS4 is fine, given that it can do Uncharted 4 level graphics at 1080p60. Bone on the other hand will not likely be able to reach such heights, ever.

alterno69

Banned
Number look good/bad on paper. In the end what matters is what i see on my flat screen when i play.
The only thing i don't like about the game is the character moves too slow. Even when gringind all over the place looks like he's moving in slow motion.

Is there a demo planned for this?

StevieP

Banned
PS4 is fine, given that it can do Uncharted 4 level graphics at 1080p60. Bone on the other hand will not likely be able to reach such heights, ever.

Let's wait until the games release before we declare what they are. Companies aren't above misleading in pre-release concept trailers - even first party companies. Even the companies you cite as the example.

whaaaaaa?

so its official now... any xbone game even if its exclusive will be expected to do 30fps at 900p.

my buddy just said "xbone should be renamed to Xbox 900p". couldn't agree more.

I hope they port it to pc.

Deuces

so you played the game??

OT: i thought this was known??? actually didnt they say that instead using the boost to up the resolution they used it to add more effects??
guess i shouldn't be surprised at how big this thread got, i wonder how long till it becomes a graveyard.

AmFreak

And nobody is buying a games console for 500 dollars let alone 600 when their relevance to the core gaming market is in flux and hitting arbitrary numbers being the least impressive factors for casual buyers.

Yeah i'm sure a 500$ ps4 would have bombed horribly, cause nobody buys for that price.
You should tell that all these people outside the u.s. who already pay >500$.

B_Boss

The thing is, I can seriously imagine the PS4 version (if it were to exist) to definitely hit 900p/60fps especially if BF4 can...sure SO and BF4 are different games but BF4 is quite advanced with its implemented elements and MP gameplay. I can't say for sure that SO doesn't have as much going on but I imagine if anything, it is at the very least about as much if not a little less.

Damn....I want this on PS4 bad as hell lol.

vpance

Let's wait until the games release before we declare what they are. Companies aren't above misleading in pre-release concept trailers - even first party companies. Even the companies you cite as the example.

so you played the game??

If any dev can live up to expectations, it's ND. So yeah, I believe it. Lol at people thinking what we've seen so far in the last year is the tops for PS4.

VinFTW

The thing is, I can seriously imagine the PS4 version (if it were to exist) to definitely hit 900p/60fps especially if BF4 can...sure SO and BF4 are different games but BF4 is quite advanced with its implemented elements and MP gameplay. I can't say for sure that SO doesn't have as much going on but I imagine if anything, it is at the very least about as much if not a little less.

Damn....I want this on PS4 bad as hell lol.

Port begging is a bannable offense, fyi.

fedexpeon

Banned
How many copies did it sell?

No one knows since I guess everyone involved is embarrassed or something.
While Ubisoft and Activision just laugh to the bank and announcing their slam dunks for WD/Destiny.

Anyway, what were people expectation from SO or X1 games anyway? It has been nearly a year guys...stop raising your expectation. The standard is there for a reason.
If you said SO is running at 1080/30, then yeah, that would be shocking.
It is funny to see people not buying the game because it isn't 1080...I mean why? The game is exclusively for the X1, isn't that the whole point in buying a console? For the exclusive games right?
I guess people want to buy another year of COD installment instead.

No. As long as you keep bringing up a point like that, you're gonna keep hearing how manufacturing costs and profit will always remain a factor in how powerful they can make these machines, which by the way, can do less than either a smart phone or tablet. Not to mention the portability of such devices and how miniaturization of electronic components drives up their prices beyond consoles. So no, I don't even know how you can even compare.

my point wasnt about comparing features, it was that the average buyer accepts the tablet and smartphone price tag because of how its marketed and sold. the average consumer isnt walking into a store and doing a checklist of what components are in phones and tablets and what it cost to produce the phone or tablet. Sony and MS didnt need to launch a console with an astronomical price but they both couldve launched a system at $475, taken a small loss on the consoles themselves and insured that they would be competent machines.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
We should wait to see UC4 in actual action before using it in any sort of comparison. But i've been happy with my PS4 so far.

Yeah i'm sure a 500$ ps4 would have bombed horribly, cause nobody buys for that price.
You should tell that all these people outside the u.s. who already pay >500$.

All that would have done is raise prices for those people outside the US even more. So what would that prove?

CLEEK

How many copies did it sell?

No one knows for sure, as EA refused to provide exact sales figures for the game in their financial report. Which is telling in itself. But from what I have gathered, it's now somewhere between 2m to 2.5m on all formats.

For comparison, we know that Destiny grossed $325m in 5 days, which at $60 a game, works out to be 5.4m games sold. It's possible that the PS4 version of Destiny will end up selling more that the combined total for Titanfall.

When Titanfall was released, it was #1 in the US for two months. First month was only on XB1, where is just beat Infamous SS, then next month 360 and PC as well, where is sold most on 360. The PS4 continued to outsell the XB1 in all regions when Titanfall released, so it didn't have the system selling bump MS were hoping. It was bundled with the XB1 as well.

If I've got any of the above completely wrong, I'm sure SalesGAF will jump in a correct me.

Anyway, this is all off-topic, so I'll shut up.

This thread is amazing. We have everything from people having already played uncharted 4 to port begging.

Anyway, it has been known for a while that this was the res and it seems to be fine and look great.

adelante

my point wasnt about comparing features, it was that the average buyer accepts the tablet and smartphone price tag because of how its marketed and sold. the average consumer isnt walking into a store and doing a checklist of what components are in phones and tablets and what it cost to produce the phone or tablet. Sony and MS didnt need to launch a console with an astronomical price but they both couldve launched a system at $475, taken a small loss on the consoles themselves and insured that they would be competent machines.
The average buyer knows a smartphone is capable of many things aside from being just a phone (internet surfing, social updates, personal organized, portable gaming, etc). To the general public, gaming consoles are just that; devices solely for gaming purposes.

Add the fact that smartphones get a lot more use because they're always with you all the time, you can see why people are willing to pay more. Convenience, not just in terms of portability but also the features available, is key here so you can't just ignore that.

Basically what I learned from this page is U4 is playable and the Xbox has like 2 1080p games (even though a majority are 1080p) Quantum Break is a confirmed 900p. The Xbox has peaked, While the PS4 hasn't even gotten started. Also something about Destiny.

Also Xbone can't handle 1080p without massive compromises.

Typical hardware-resolution thread though.

Alchemy

The average buyer knows a smartphone is capable of many things aside from being just a phone (internet surfing, social updates, personal organized, portable gaming, etc). To the general public, gaming consoles are just that; devices solely for gaming purposes.

Add the fact that smartphones get a lot more use because they're always with you all the time, you can see why people are willing to pay more. Convenience, not just in terms of portability but also the features available, is key here so you can't just ignore that.

This is bullshit. Gaming consoles have been some of the biggest Netflix streaming boxes for televisions for years. The problem is desire to stream and consume content on televisions shrinking, and when a smartphone can play games it overrides the need for a casual consumer to buy a device specifically to do that.

Dude, don't go there.
You are talking about cross-gen and not graphic intensive games.
And really? You are bringing in a racing game for comparison?
What next? Are you going to list sport games too?

"xbox cant handle 1080p!"
"yes it can, here's some examples"
"they don't count!!!"

Console warz is serious business 😅

There's a list that shows most Xbox game are 1080p, but those games probably don't count either.

Edit: Here's a good one

http://m.ign.com/wikis/xbox-one/PS4_vs._Xbox_One_Native_Resolutions_and_Framerates

A quick count on the list gives me

20 1080p
20 under 1080p

If we remove TR totally because it's 1080 and 900.

So no it is not the majority or most.

Whereas PS4 is at 43 1080p to 4 under 1080, yet it often gets pulled into discussion about current consoles not hitting 1080?

fedexpeon

Banned
"xbox cant handle 1080p!"
"yes it can, here's some examples"
"they don't count!!!"

Console warz is serious business ��

They don't.
I wouldn't even mention any of those games if I am talking about 1080 comparison between two current consoles.
Heck, I don't even care if they are 900/30 as you can tell from my earlier post about SO/X1.

But to bring inferior products for comparison is like saying preseason games matter. That preseason win against Seattle didn't help the Broncos in a true game.
There is a difference when talking about next-gen graphic, and so-so graphic from the yesterday years.

jem0208

Dude, don't go there.
You are talking about cross-gen and not graphic intensive games.
And really? You are bringing in a racing game for comparison?
What next? Are you going to list sport games too?
Not going to argue about Diablo and Destiny.

However Horizon is most certainly a graphically intensive game. Also what does being a racing game have to do with anything?

They don't.
I wouldn't even mention any of those games if I am talking about 1080 comparison between two current consoles.
Heck, I don't even care if they are 900/30 as you can tell from my earlier post about SO/X1.

But to bring inferior products for comparison is like saying preseason games matter. That preseason win against Seattle didn't help the Broncos in a true game.
There is a difference when talking about next-gen graphic, and so-so graphic from the yesterday years.
tumblr_m28bdfA0U51qbymseo1_500.gif

Drifters

Serious question; is 900p And 1080p that big of a difference on a 1080p TV from a proper viewing distance? I feel like a dipshit asking but seems like it doesn't matter a whole lot.

jem0208

Serious question; is 900p And 1080p that big of a difference on a 1080p TV from a proper viewing distance? I feel like a dipshit asking but seems like it doesn't matter a whole lot.
Depends on screen size and how far you sit from the tv.

Also depends on how sensitive you are to this stuff. I can't tell a 900p game from a 1080p game unless I have two side by side images. Others claim to be able to easily see the difference.

If you think it doesn't seem to matter that much you're probably not that sensitive to it. Which is a good thing because you can enjoy more games without complaining about resolutions! :D

adelante

This is bullshit. Gaming consoles have been some of the biggest Netflix streaming boxes for televisions for years.
In countries where TV streaming is available? Yes. Nevermind that many of those were purchases probably intended for gaming first.

Still doesn't diminish the convenience factor.

Drifters

Depends on screen size and how far you sit from the tv.

Also depends on how sensitive you are to this stuff. I can't tell a 900p game from a 1080p game unless I have two side by side images. Others claim to be able to easily see the difference.

If you think it doesn't seem to matter that much you're probably not that sensitive to it. Which is a good thing because you can enjoy more games without complaining about resolutions! :D

Makes sense. Seems as if people are more concerned about the frame rate locked. They confirm that yet or that a wait and see thing?

Afrikan

I don't know the distance answer, but it's not just the whole 1080p - 900p = 180p missing type stuff.

But there is alot of pixels missing, that may cause the difference for some... I forget how much.

Got this quote from an article in the IGN comments. Simply reenforces the idea that it all really comes down to the game-play in the end. Regardless of what system we play on.

"If resolution was so important then the Vita would have killed the 3DS. " - Tendoboy1984

Orayn

I don't know the distance answer, but it's not just the whole 1080p - 900p = 180p missing type stuff.

But there is alot of pixels missing, that may cause the difference for some... I forget how much.

Unless those pixels are going away by turning them into black bars, it means the whole picture needs to be stretched and scaled for a 1080p screen. This makes the game look blurrier.

Titanfall sold over 3 million times, 2 million on xbox one and 1 million combined on pc and 360. So I guess thats an excellent number for a game that was released a half year after the launch of the One

If you work for EA or MS I don't think you were supposed to release that information?

Afrikan

Unless those pixels are going away by turning them into black bars, it means the whole picture needs to be stretched and scaled for a 1080p screen. This makes the game look blurrier.

Yeah I shouldn't have used the word missing.

Anyway here is Nib95's post..I couldn't quote it.

720p | 1280 x 720 | 921,600 pixels
900p | 1600 x 900 | 1,440,000 pixels - 56% more pixels than 720p
1080p | 1920 x 1080 | 2,073,600 pixels - 125% more pixels than 720p, 44% more pixels than 900p

p3tran

Banned
A quick count on the list gives me

20 1080p
20 under 1080p

If we remove TR totally because it's 1080 and 900.

So no it is not the majority or most.

Whereas PS4 is at 43 1080p to 4 under 1080, yet it often gets pulled into discussion about current consoles not hitting 1080?

ok, I'm bored with this shit....

you know what? WHO CARES?
last generation, THE RULE was that ps3 got the inferior and/or broken ports of practically EVERY SINGLE GAME,
yet a lot of ps3 owners seemed quite happy. no?

this generation, again I have both consoles since day 1, and I still have not seen a broken port like I did on ps3.

but a handful of guys still bang the same drum.

well, keep on banging it, just be sure to notice that what sony has declared to be the most important game for them from fall 'till next year, really has no advantage (gfx or whatever you like) on ps4. (if that means anything to your syllogism)

lets discuss instead about all the games that xbone has that ps4 ...doesnt. (wow, sunset overdrive is one of them! who;d have guessed??! :D )
bottom line, it makes more sense than this stuff

Rourkey

I can't tell, even killer instinct at 720p looks sharp enougth to me, this is only a big deal done console can do it more regular than the other

ok, I'm bored with this shit....

you know what? WHO CARES?
last generation, THE RULE was that ps3 got the inferior and/or broken ports of practically EVERY SINGLE GAME,
yet a lot of ps3 owners seemed quite happy. no?

this generation, again I have both consoles since day 1, and I still have not seen a broken port like I did on ps3.

but a handful of guys still bang the same drum.

Someone posted a list to confirm that "most" game on XB1 are 1080.

The list actually shows a 50:50 split.

The person banging the same drum is the person claiming most titles are 1080p.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom