• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sunsoft is looking to re-make its retro games catalogue

nush

They have made so many licensed games or games with other companies IP that if you took those out of their back catalogue there's not much left to choose from.

I'd be down for a remake of Super Fantasy Zone if Sega let them or give it to M2 who have a massive hard on for that series.

Ryu Kaiba

For some reason I thought Golden Sun and got excited for a second there.
SEpwNov.jpg

Impotaku

Gimmick is the correct answer that game is insanely well programmed with stupid amounts of uneeded details that make the world really charming along with the physics of the star throwing mechanic. It showed what the famicom could really do in the right hands but sadly with all games released at the end of the life cycle of a console it never found mainstream appeal, it's one game that truly deserves another chance to shine.

Plus the soundtrack is god tier for famicom.

Gimmick is the correct answer that game is insanely well programmed with stupid amounts of uneeded details that make the world really charming along with the physics of the star throwing mechanic. It showed what the famicom could really do in the right hands but sadly with all games released at the end of the life cycle of a console it never found mainstream appeal, it's one game that truly deserves another chance to shine.

Plus the soundtrack is god tier for famicom.
That's something you can definitely say for all Sunsoft games, they had awesome music. They were pushing the sound on NES like few others did.

I love a lot of their licensed games. Hopefully, they could get a few of the licenses to release the games, again. I actually like their Addams family game, Uncle Fester's Quest. Just need to make it where your weapon doesn't get stuck on walls and it we'll be an instant classic.

Futaleufu

Obviously 53 Stations of the Tokaido.

Also Waku Waku 7 and The Wing of Madoola.
Waku Waku 7 would be at least AA budget to remake faithfully.

They could remake the NES Batman game without the IP, keeping the level design and gameplay, and then add the Batman content as an optional DLC, as a mod/total conversion.

Sunman will rise again!

sunmanNES-02.jpg

seriously though enough with retro remakes...just give us new games from old IPS again. I miss the days when an IP could have a sequel and do something different in it...now everyones forever trapped in remaking the same game over and over. ...or certain developers remaking the same style of game over and vover because thats what they are known for.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

The showcase will take place on the company’s YouTube channel at 1:00PM PDT / 9 PM BST on August 18.

“Although we have been quiet for some time, many things have been happening behind the scenes,” said Yuichi Ochi, general manager of Sunsoft. “We are very excited to be able to finally share our vision for the rebirth of Sunsoft with fans old and new.”

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
Blaster master (even though blaster master zero was only a couple of years ago) and a clock tower collection would be awesome.

I really loved the roadrunner Death Valley rally game on SNES but that was only because it felt the closest we were ever going to get to a sonic on the platform.

Optimistic on what they will show next week.

Gremlins 2 would be amazing but highly unlikely. Batman and Batman Return of the Joker are obvious additions. Sunsoft did amazing work with their NES music back in the day.

Holammer

Blaster master (even though blaster master zero was only a couple of years ago) and a clock tower collection would be awesome.

I really loved the roadrunner Death Valley rally game on SNES but that was only because it felt the closest we were ever going to get to a sonic on the platform.

Optimistic on what they will show next week.
Blaster Master Zero 3 came out last year. INTI CREATES handles the license now with Sunsoft's blessing. It's likely they're working on more Sunsoft properties for the upcoming reveal.

The mention of Death Valley Rally got me thinking, Sunsoft did a lot of localization, publishing, work for hire and licensed IPs back then (especially Warner properties) Those are SUPER unlikely to get remakes, so it should be relatively easy to narrow down the potential games. A quick pass reveals they don't have full ownership for that much, so here are some likely candidates or my top suspects. I could put some money on them doing a Hebereke title.

Hebereke series
Gimmick
Galaxy Fight
Waku Waku 7

Holammer

Saw some Japanese news yesterday about Sunsoft remaking Ikki (arcade/NES) and Atlantis no Nazo (NES). Wondered if it was a bad machine translation, so I ignored it.
Turns out they're really making a multiplayer Vampire Survivors rogue-like based on Ikki.
It is possible to request beta access on Steam right now.

Saw some Japanese news yesterday about Sunsoft remaking Ikki (arcade/NES) and Atlantis no Nazo (NES). Wondered if it was a bad machine translation, so I ignored it.
Turns out they're really making a multiplayer Vampire Survivors rogue-like based on Ikki.

to-start-press.jpg

Kadve

Biggest chock is learning that Sunsoft is still around. And that they are apparently a division of Sun electronics!

That's on the same level as learning that GT interactive was a subsidiary of Goodtimes entertainment!

(Edit, Not the ones i was thinking of though. Apparently there are two Japanese companies with that name)

(https://www.sundenshi.co.jp/en/ <-- this one)

(https://www.sunelec.co.jp/eng/ <-- not this)

Last edited:

CamHostage

[/URL][/URL]

Well, not where I expected Sunsoft to start (although people who thought this meant remasters of Batman or Fester's Quest are up in their heads...) but it's good to have the Sunsoft name and library back in action.

Regarding Ikki Unite... I can't tell if this gameplay is cheap and horrible, or clever and deep? At first glance, it looked like a web games from 2006 (it ain't a pretty game, and it doesn't seem to run well,) but watching the trailer again, I've gotten curious about the mechanics and the design choices.

This was the original Ikki, btw:

Last edited:
Top Bottom