• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sunsoft is looking to re-make its retro games catalogue

Holammer

Well, not where I expected Sunsoft to start (although people who thought this meant remasters of Batman or Fester's Quest are up in their heads...) but it's good to have the Sunsoft name and library back in action.

Regarding Ikki Unite... I can't tell if this gameplay is cheap and horrible, or clever and deep? At first glance, it looked like a web games from 2006 (it ain't a pretty game, and it doesn't seem to run well,) but watching the trailer again, I've gotten curious about the mechanics and the design choices.

This was the original Ikki, btw:

Vampire Survivors sold very well despite really bad graphics, this is one of many attempts to cash in on this new survivors rogue-like trend.
It's probably the best they could do with the license, having a deliberate 8-bit aesthetic suits the genre and will prey on nostalgia among Japanese players.
I freakin' love the 'em, so I signed up for beta right away.

If you somehow missed the survivors hype train, check out Maiden Voyage's thread.

Saw some Japanese news yesterday about Sunsoft remaking Ikki (arcade/NES) and Atlantis no Nazo (NES). Wondered if it was a bad machine translation, so I ignored it.
Turns out they're really making a multiplayer Vampire Survivors rogue-like based on Ikki.
It is possible to request beta access on Steam right now.

Thanks, looks very interesting. Just signed up.

Not sure if this was the news video you were referring to, but it also seems to mention Mr. Gimmick:

Last edited:

Chittagong

Gold Member
Festers-Quest-NES.jpg

Holammer

Gimmick remaster, or NES accurate port announced and it's coming to all the consoles and PC. It's fairly bare-bones or anemic compared with the arcade board remake linked in post #28

Previous exA-Arcadia version

SfQmcROWrbw7pcJaND05zZZmJ6oMRXc7UkQE09u1geY.jpg

Holammer

The presentation is a bit funky with a v-tuber style presenter called Sunsoft-nosuke.
Shows Ikki Unite, Gimmick, Hebereke and hints on more games in the works.

Hebereke like Gimmick is a minimum effort running on emulation as it's complete with sprite flicker and the typical NES loading seam.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

The company, which was prolific during the ’80s and ’90s but has been quiet in recent years, held a presentation in August 2022 called Sunsoft is Back, in which it announced some new games.

Now, as spotted by Noisy Pixel, a second livestream has appeared on the company’s official YouTube page.

This second stream, which is titled Sunsoft is Back 2, will go live on April 19 at 11pm PT / April 20 at 2am ET / April 20 at 7am BST.

Last edited:
[/URL]

The company, which was prolific during the ’80s and ’90s but has been quiet in recent years, held a presentation in August 2022 called Sunsoft is Back, in which it announced some new games.

Now, as spotted by Noisy Pixel, a second livestream has appeared on the company’s official YouTube page.

This second stream, which is titled Sunsoft is Back 2, will go live on April 19 at 11pm PT / April 20 at 2am ET / April 20 at 7am BST.
Maybe after the shitshow Rocksteady put themselves in, with the Justice League debacle, we can get the one true Batman game we deserve...

hqdefault.jpg
91Xhcwiu5EL._AC_UL600_SR600,600_.jpg

Holammer

pRhDqU6.jpg

Sunsoft had a stream and teased Hebereke's new felt look.
Yeah... Looks like a discount Kirby's Epic Yarn. Not a fan.

Top Bottom