• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Bomberman R |OT| Buggler? I Hardly Know Her!

IrishNinja

this is a great OT for a good game

i really don't get the hate: it plays like classic bomberman, and its so cool just to have him back, even if konami is turrible

$50 seems high to some, but launch software tends to drop & there's a lot more value here than many launch titles ive purchased!

i really don't get the hate: it plays like classic bomberman, and its so cool just to have him back, even if konami is turrible

$50 seems high to some, but launch software tends to drop & there's a lot more value here than many launch titles ive purchased!

It's what the game is missing that Bomberman games have had for 20 years which is what disappoints me.

Oregano

My Switch finally showed up so I got a chance to play this.

- Story Mode is good even if the new graphics make things a bit difficult to see sometimes. The first phase of the bosses tend to either be drawn out and obnoxiously difficult, or extremely easy as you luck into trapping them within the first 30 seconds. The second phases are much better. Also, the music is pretty darn sweet.

- Battle Mode can sometimes be fun to play by yourself in these games, but it's not even an option here because the AI is ridiculously cheap with no way to tone it down - but if two CPU opponents are the last ones left alive they'll suddenly become idiots and just run down the timer doing inane crap. Still great as a local party game though.

- Online is just awful. I even set it to "only connect to opponents with a good connection" and still nearly every match had some lag. Not even just input lag either, bombs would take ages to explode after being placed. Really disappointing.

- The shop would be great if online worked properly, but getting gems is a bit of a grind without it, and prices were clearly balanced with the idea that players would be getting a lot of gems from online matches.

I'm glad a lot of people are buying the game to support Bomberman but I honestly can't recommend this to anyone when the main draw of the game is near unplayable. Konami claims to be investigating the issue on Twitter so here's hoping something comes of it.

Glad I'm not the only one who thought that. I've played it the last two days with someone at work and we've lost every single battle. The AI is ridiculously good.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Glad I'm not the only one who thought that. I've played it the last two days with someone at work and we've lost every single battle. The AI is ridiculously good.

Honestly this sounds like a plus, because the AI is a complete pushover in literally all other entries I've played.

Still not gonna buy this one before I try it, though.

Grinchy

Banned
Does anyone understand the way the multipliers work when finishing a story mode level? I don't understand what the 3rd multiplier is for. Is it continues? Does it give you a higher multiple for using less continues?

And like for example in the Easy mode, why wouldn't you just purposely die before finishing a boss off so you have 9 lives to multiply against the multiplier? It seems to be more rewarding to die than to live through only one continue.

Durden77

So as someone that understands that this game is probably overpriced, is it worth a buy? I'm thinking about getting this with my Switch, especially because my gf loves Bomberman. It would mainly be us 2 playing, not 4 people.

I've heard there's genuine problems with the game that need to be patched? What's the issues?

Camjo-Z

So as someone that understands that this game is probably overpriced, is it worth a buy? I'm thinking about getting this with my Switch, especially because my gf loves Bomberman. It would mainly be us 2 playing, not 4 people.

I've heard there's genuine problems with the game that need to be patched? What's the issues?

The online is a mess at the moment and there's some slight input lag offline. It's not unplayable because of it but I'd hold off until Konami puts out a patch.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Game just isn't good single player. AI is too "good" at the game, which is no fun, they just don't die ever. Story mode is average at best.

kangaroos?
for real, go on

I'll quote myself from earlier

This game is frustraring, there is quiet a bit of content that justifies the price, but you can tell this game was made by people not familiar with the series. No ability to stop kicked bombs*, bombs don't bounce across blocks. No remote bombs, no spike bombs, no bonus mini game for the winner, no option to choose between regular revenge cart and super revenge cart (its always super), no option to change between burn skulls and permanent skulls, no option to pick which color ai you fight, no ai difficulty settings, no option at all for spread virus or pass virus, power ups go on top of blocks making it hard to see what is and isn't a block, no ability to adjust your throw distance as revenge bomber.

Yet this game is still a ton of fun, the 8 default stages have some fairly clever and unique mechanics I've never seen in Bomberman before, but then its missing staple modes like conveyor (it might be an unlockable special stage.

I'm happy bomberman is back, multiplayer with local friends is still a very fun experience, but the things the game is missing or changed is baffling and removes a ton of strategy from the game.

Edit: *apparently you can hit x to stop kick bombs, which is a very strange choice in most games it's the b button (or bottom x on psx controllers)

And I can add a few more though some of these aren't in every bomberman game but have appeared in several

No ability to custom select what items spawn, no animal friends, no special ability characters, no ability to adjust the amount of health a player has, no heart items at all, no invincibility power up, no negative powers at all (bomb, fire, or geta/speed down), no soft block pass, no line bomb, no rapid drop bomb virus condition, no ability to speed up movement in the revenge cart.

Ozium

how the fuck are you supposed to beat he first boss? I'm playing on beginner and it is fucking stupid as shit this motherfucker just won't die

I place 9 bombs down and he goes to the one spot where it won't hit him..

I get touched by the edge of fire and die, he gets touched by the edge of fire and nothing happens?

fuck this shit

Vitacat

I haven't opened my copy yet, but many people have complained about control lag both on and offline. If that is the case, and I tend to believe multiple people over one person, then it doesn't play like classic Bomberman because classic Bomberman has no control lag.

Also, as others have pointed out, it seems very barebones with lots of things missing from older Bomberman games.

Camjo-Z

Does anyone understand the way the multipliers work when finishing a story mode level? I don't understand what the 3rd multiplier is for. Is it continues? Does it give you a higher multiple for using less continues?

And like for example in the Easy mode, why wouldn't you just purposely die before finishing a boss off so you have 9 lives to multiply against the multiplier? It seems to be more rewarding to die than to live through only one continue.

Just checked this, it's not better to kill yourself off because the gems you get for not using a continue are more than the gems you get for having 9 lives. For example, on beginner each life gives you 20 G (x 9 lives = 180 G), but using no continues gets you 300 G.

edit: also is it just me or is the planet scrapheap theme really good

IrishNinja

how the fuck are you supposed to beat he first boss? I'm playing on beginner and it is fucking stupid as shit this motherfucker just won't die

I place 9 bombs down and he goes to the one spot where it won't hit him..

I get touched by the edge of fire and die, he gets touched by the edge of fire and nothing happens?

fuck this shit

haha yeah, i kinda had to pin dude down & kamikaze it to beat him cause he just wouldn't stay in the line of fire one bit

I haven't opened my copy yet, but many people have complained about control lag both on and offline. If that is the case, and I tend to believe multiple people over one person, then it doesn't play like classic Bomberman because classic Bomberman has no control lag.

Also, as others have pointed out, it seems very barebones with lots of things missing from older Bomberman games.

okay, guess i'm a liar then, haha - i can only speak from my own experience. ive had laggy plasma sets & upscalers so i adapt to it better than some, but at least in the story mode, i didn't find it very noticeable.

and of the things even bass pointed out, that's a pretty minor list of some series staples & some that weren't in every game. if you've played a lot of bomberman, i don't think you're gonna find this an incomplete package - the biggest knock i can agree with is that the inability to adjust the enemies AI is silly, cause they just always dance right around your bomb blast. it's kinda ridiculous.

steveovig

I managed to get past the first world and I'm not so sure I like this game too much. I don't have a ton of experience playing these games but I enjoyed 94 a bit. That
Magnet Bomber
was terrible and I had to basically trap him with me and kill myself. His
little robot friend
wasn't as frustrating although I did lose a few lives.

I might end up lowering the difficulty and seeing if I enjoy it more that way.

The "perfect AI" complaint reminds me of Sonic Riders: Zero Gravity's AI when you just did single races on certain tracks. The AI would race almost perfectly. Challenge is nice, but not if it's due to the AI robotically doing everything better than should be expected of anyone besides speed runners.

Soph

I never knew I wanted the Dark Souls of Bomberman, time to git gud. We got absolutely wrecked at work by AI on a colleague his Switch

tsundoku

As someone who defended this game's visuals and price point pre release vehemently

Control feels very poor on the joycon "dpad" and humorously bad on the joystick with the pointless diagonals. It feels like the framerate is actively making me walk into enemies when I have speedups because its carrying me farther then I would expect from basically every other game i've played being 60fps. I also find it incredibly difficult to walk around corners, like the SNES games just had slippery / rounded corners, but this game feels like my-first-game-maker-pixel-mask-collision. Some of the slipperiness can be manifested by using the analog stick but that will make me walk backwards into the line of sight i've just gotten out of as often as I get out of the line of fire.

My pro controller won't work for some reason despite the fact it's listed on the back of the game-box. I launch the game with the pro controller and make sure it's set as the "player 1 grip/joycon" in the system menu

and I played one online match of best-of-3 with a friend with a known good connection and the way the netcode is designed you have noticeable awful input lag making it basically useless for online play.

The art which didn't really bother me despite it being a weird aesthetic I'm now actually finding it incredibly visually distracting in some stages. In world 1 of the story mode its actually very difficult to immediately parse out routes between rocks and bombable blocks and the 3d elements.

Also aside from the incredibly cute cosmetics for the bombermen, like almost every multiplayer stage is locked behind a bunch of currency grinding?

The singleplayer scoring system seems to be completely busted and it looks like its the best idea to die and continue so you have 9 lives when you finish the boss of a world off for maximum currency?

I hate the voice acting but that's why we have language options and the cutscene art is incredibly cute if a bit underutilized.

leroidys

As someone who defended this game's visuals and price point pre release vehemently

Control feels very poor on the joycon "dpad" and humorously bad on the joystick with the pointless diagonals. It feels like the framerate is actively making me walk into enemies when I have speedups because its carrying me farther then I would expect from basically every other game i've played being 60fps. I also find it incredibly difficult to walk around corners, like the SNES games just had slippery / rounded corners, but this game feels like my-first-game-maker-pixel-mask-collision. Some of the slipperiness can be manifested by using the analog stick but that will make me walk backwards into the line of sight i've just gotten out of as often as I get out of the line of fire.

My pro controller won't work for some reason despite the fact it's listed on the back of the game-box. I launch the game with the pro controller and make sure it's set as the "player 1 grip/joycon" in the system menu

and I played one online match of best-of-3 with a friend with a known good connection and the way the netcode is designed you have noticeable awful input lag making it basically useless for online play.

The art which didn't really bother me despite it being a weird aesthetic I'm now actually finding it incredibly visually distracting in some stages. In world 1 of the story mode its actually very difficult to immediately parse out routes between rocks and bombable blocks and the 3d elements.

Also aside from the incredibly cute cosmetics for the bombermen, like almost every multiplayer stage is locked behind a bunch of currency grinding?

The singleplayer scoring system seems to be completely busted and it looks like its the best idea to die and continue so you have 9 lives when you finish the boss of a world off for maximum currency?

I hate the voice acting but that's why we have language options and the cutscene art is incredibly cute if a bit underutilized.
This is me as well. Really wish this game was great but it's not. It could be worse, but it's plenty disappointing.

duckroll

Daily query: Has the input delay and lag problems been patched yet?

On the bright side I'm glad local distribution fucking up means I didn't end up picking up the game with my Switch. On sad side I really wanted just an acceptable and fun Bomberman game without serious hangups. Hurry up and fix it Konami, so I can give you money. :(

Finished up story mode today. Thought it was alright for what it is, but I still can't get over how bad some of the VA work in the game is. I'm almost positive it was recorded in Japan with a very small English-speaking talent pool.

And after reading the credits, I knew White Bomber's VA sounded terribly familiar...

Any word on what the currency payout is for Ranked matches? I still haven't touched it (and probably won't until the patch), so I'm hoping it's good. These costs are crazy.

Grinchy

Banned
Just checked this, it's not better to kill yourself off because the gems you get for not using a continue are more than the gems you get for having 9 lives. For example, on beginner each life gives you 20 G (x 9 lives = 180 G), but using no continues gets you 300 G.

edit: also is it just me or is the planet scrapheap theme really good

Ah, ok thanks. I've only played 2 player coop for the story mode so far, so we've never completed it without using a continue. It's so much harder than just playing alone.

The way they list the bonuses at the end just makes it very confusing.

Camjo-Z

Any word on what the currency payout is for Ranked matches? I still haven't touched it (and probably won't until the patch), so I'm hoping it's good. These costs are crazy.

I think it was something like 20 for losing, 100 for winning, an additional 30 for beating an opponent ranked higher than you, and then a 300 gem bonus for consecutive victories.

Vinnk

I and my daughter are enjoying the game. It's her first Bomberman game and she loves playing co-op mode with Dad (even if we can only beat a few stages before she looses all of our shared lives). I am glad I bought it and I am happy to see Bomberman as a viable franchise again. And the frame rate does not bother me in the slightest.

That said.

-Tilted perspective makes the game harder to control.
-The art style for in game is bland for the most part and lacks the charm of the 2D games and doesn't really match the cutscenes of this very game.
-Computer player AI is not fair
-Boss difficulty is all over the place.
-Coins are too hard to earn...
-...unless you do online battles which are fairly broken
-And maybe it's just me but half of the time the Switch doesn't recognize my game card. I have to take it out and put it in again. No problems with my other games.

I don't think any of these issues are unfixable. Hopefully Konami cares enough to see that they could have the resurrection of a classic series on their hands if they don't ignore the problems.

Melter

Man this game reminds me of how much fun I had with Atomic Bomberman on PC back in the day but the input lag is extremely frustrating. How did they fuck up bomberman??

I bought it. I love Bomberman and like a fanboy I threw money for it day one. If anyone is on the fence and wants the game for mp reasons stay away till it is patched. Laggy mess is an understatement.

I still enjoy the game but it is a tough pill to swallow for $50 especially when games like Shovel Knight: Treasure Trove, RMX racing, Sniper Clips are all cheaper and ultimately better experiences.

blitz64

I think we will never get a patch.

I'm a big bomberman fan but this game sucks pretty bad. input lag in offline and even more lag online killed it for me.

Vinnk

I'm a big bomberman fan but this game sucks pretty bad. input lag in offline and even more lag online killed it for me.

Yeah. If it was any other company they would realize they have a potential hot on their hands and not poison the well by leaving it broken.

But Konami so yeah..

I miss you Hudson.

Vitacat

Well, I hope you're wrong but it's Konami in 2017, so... :-/

I'm giving them a few more weeks, then my still sealed copy goes back for refund. I wanted the game, I paid for it, but I'm not going to let Konami keep the sale unless they prove they're supporting their brand new software.

1upsuper

I don't think I'm going to pick this up until a price drop, but it has gotten me into a Bomberman mood. What's the best of the Super Bomberman and Bomberman [year] games? Are the two on Saturn good?

blitz64

I think Konami fixed it.

There is less lag and the control feels smooth in online play. The game is actually playable for 1 hour online today the way I thought the game should be played.

me0wish

Spent more than 12 hours on Switch with my friends today, we've mainly played 1 2 Switch, and had around 2 hours of Bomber Man which we really enjoyed. Really glad I didn't listen to the internet, I think I've sold a couple of Switches today.

My two issues with the game is that movement is not grid based, and first phase of bosses is insanely hard, especially compared to the second phase.

so far, I'd highly recommend it, its a fun single player/coop/vs game with lots of content.

Single player is pretty meh so far
Just beat the first world and it was touch the switch x kill the enemies which got dull after the first 3 times

Boss was hard af lol , had to spend gems to continue and then that mech after boss was hard too

Bomberman 64 though :( where are you single player

I haven't played much traditional bomberman gameplay but it can be addicting, lol won 2 matches then 2 lost two matches , from 0 to 200 to 0 😂

Had some lag and some button delays but only for a few games

Camjo-Z

I think Konami fixed it.

There is less lag and the control feels smooth in online play. The game is actually playable for 1 hour online today the way I thought the game should be played.

There's still a bit of control lag but I haven't been getting the unplayable slowdown-fests I did previously, so maybe they are doing something on the back-end. I had some good matches but it's still not to the point where I feel completely safe making certain maneuvers that I'd easily pull off in other iterations, like hiding behind a pillar to avoid bomb blasts on either side.

NotLiquid

https://www.konami.com/games/bomberman/r/eu/en/news/#news170310

Regarding the latency issues during Online Battles. (2)
Thank you for playing Super Bomberman R and we greatly appreciate your feedback.

We are aware that some players are experiencing control lag issues and are currently working to improve the situation.

Our first priority is to adjust control response times which will improve both the online experience and control lag during offline battles.

We will share more information about the update's release date very soon.

Future updates are also planned as we work hard to continuously improve the experience for players, both online and offline.

Thank you for your patience and understanding.

blitz64

Konami must not have enough time and just shipped it as a launch title.

I'm happy to hear they are still working on it. The online lag and game input is better than 3 days ago.

Guys, quick question for you. Putting it in spoilers just in case...

When it comes to unlocking items, I'm guessing that
it's based on what levels you beat in single player, right? Also, does difficulty make a difference, besides coins earned?

Top Bottom