• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 3D Land |OT| Jump Into a New Dimension!

Punisher

Neo Member
Got the game yesterday but could only sample it for like 15 minutes, I was like meh, Gameplay feels different...

Today got to play for a few hours, got the hang of the game. I love it now. Levels are short and I'm already in world 4 with only about 2-2.5 hours of playing, so I'm worried I might finish the game too quickly to my taste.

Sometimes I notice framedrops, but not a lot.

Game is good but too easy up till this point and worried about game length.

Must buy though.

Mik2121

Punisher said:
Got the game yesterday but could only sample it for like 15 minutes, I was like meh, Gameplay feels different...

Today got to play for a few hours, got the hang of the game. I love it now. Levels are short and I'm already in world 4 with only about 2-2.5 hours of playing, so I'm worried I might finish the game too quickly to my taste.

Sometimes I notice framedrops, but not a lot.

Game is good but too easy up till this point and worried about game length.

Must buy though.
Oh, but you won't, trust me.

Or maybe you do. I'm at 14 hours 25 mins now and on the very last world but I think this will still take me at the very least another hour, maybe two if the last stage I did is a sign of how everything is going to be from now on.

As for the second bolded part... you just wait. What you're playing now is just the introduction...

Beat it. Love this game. I haven't been this entertained by a Mario game in a long time.

I liked the Galaxy games and all, but they didn't keep me playing like this has.

john tv

Near the very end of the game now and I just realized I never found any warp zones -- has anyone else found any?

Mik2121

john tv said:
Near the very end of the game now and I just realized I never found any warp zones -- has anyone else found any?
I believe there aren't.

BTW where are you now? I'm at S 8-4.

Mik2121 said:
Oh, but you won't, trust me.

Or maybe you do. I'm at 14 hours 25 mins now and on the very last world but I think this will still take me at the very least another hour, maybe two if the last stage I did is a sign of how everything is going to be from now on.

As for the second bolded part... you just wait. What you're playing now is just the introduction...

Whoo! Awesome, the import impressions have me so amped for the game now. Any small doubts I had are gone, I can't wait to play it, especially
the second quest challenges. For me, this should more than make up for an easy first run through.

RyougaSaotome said:
Beat it. Love this game. I haven't been this entertained by a Mario game in a long time.

mst3kwow.jpg

Watch Da Birdie said:
Just heard that the JP version has no solid manual included. :/

But the American one does at least. :)

I never realized how important I considered manuals until I opened up Sonic Generations and found a 4-page, black-and-white instruction booklet with only the controls and how to turn on the system, telling me to go on-line for the rest of the manual.

I'd actually be surprised if the U.S. rev really does come with a full booklet since OoT 3D just had a fold out mini-poster style quick manual, I think this is the new norm. I guess game companies are no longer willing to spend the extra coin on printing costs for deluxe/standard manuals in some cases.

Mrbob

I just realized the release date is on a Sunday in NA. I have the game pre ordered from Amazon, so does this mean I'll get it Monday? I know it won't come on Sunday. Hopefully I don't have to wait till Tuesday. I have Prime.

Can't wait to dig into this game. Sounds awesome.

Mrbob said:
I just realized the release date is on a Sunday in NA. I have the game pre ordered from Amazon, so does this mean I'll get it Monday? I know it won't come on Sunday. Hopefully I don't have to wait till Tuesday. I have Prime.

Can't wait to dig into this game.

Usually I get Nintendo games on Monday when they have a Sunday release.

Mik2121

I just 100%'d the game. That is, the basic 8 Worlds and the Special 8 Worlds and all the medals
(295)

Playtime exactly 16 hours. Like, really, 16:00. But my girlfriend played some too so this took me about 15 hours or 14:30 at the very least.

Amazing game. Must buy.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Mrbob said:

Can't wait to dig into this game. Sounds awesome.

It's a bit random. Sometimes when Nintendo ships Amazon the stock fast enough, Amazon begins shipping out pre-orders on Saturday and they get there Monday.

I got Galaxy 2 on a Monday. However, Donkey Kong Country Returns, didn't ship out until Monday itself. Got it Wednesday.

Being a Mario title, I'm hoping Amazon gets full stock early enough to screw it and start pushing the shipping button.

Mik2121

I had one place left to go after finishing all the Special stuff. NOW I just 100%'d it. Again, about 15 hours. Pretty neat, but too bad there's not much to do now other than replay the stages I already played.

If only the game had some sort of online leaderboards for time attacks...

WillyFive

I think I was too hard on this game. From the first World, this game seems to be a better combination of the old and the new than Sonic Generations was.

Anth0ny

Kazerei said:
I just found out Super Mario has a facebook page. Seems NOA is really embracing social networking and all that.

Yeah, totally. Remember when Reggie got on Twitter to communicate with the fans?

NOA Twitter: #Regginator – Releasing a bunch of great games in Nintendo eShop like Freakyforms and Pushmo. Which one sounds fun to you?

Fans:
WHERE THE FUCK IS XENOBLADE?!?! WHAT THE FUCK WAS THAT SHIT ON YOUR CHIN?!?

Good times.

Celine

Mik2121 said:
I just 100%'d the game. That is, the basic 8 Worlds and the Special 8 Worlds and all the medals
(295)

Playtime exactly 16 hours. Like, really, 16:00. But my girlfriend played some too so this took me about 15 hours or 14:30 at the very least.

Amazing game. Must buy.
Do you unlock something after 100% it?

I just played the demo at Best Buy. Twice. It's pretty much what I expected. It feels a lot like Mario Galaxy, but with a tonooki tail.

Mik2121 said:
(295)

But did you
get all the gold flags
?

After 12:57 of play time, I apparently got all of the star coins except for the first one in World 5-2, currently at

WillyFive

I love the sound effects for this game. I've felt that Nintendo's sound effects have gotten weaker during the past two generations, they feel less tactile. However, this game's sound effects are really nice, they really give some kinetic response to the visuals and the action. I also like the gratuitous overuse of 8-bit sounds to give the effects some bass.

Also, the visual tricks in World 2 are wonderful, especially the isometric level and the level with the helicopter block power-up.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
The impressions on this game sure are making it sound as if the doom and gloom predictions on it being "meh" were completely unfounded.

zigg

Kaijima said:
The impressions on this game sure are making it sound as if the doom and gloom predictions on it being "meh" were completely unfounded.

I'll be totally honest: the impressions have been a shock to me.

What I played at E3 was solid but felt kinda like the Twilight Princess of Mario, unambitious and uninspired, particularly after the godliness of both Galaxy games and NSMB. I expected an unquestionably good but unremarkable game.

I'm already shopping for crow seasoning. We'll see if I have to use it.

Seemed like a solid 8 game to me that is better than most of its kind but disappointing as far as Mario games are concerned.

Now it seems like a 9 game that stands respectable and proud along with its big brothers.

john tv

Cheesemeister said:
But did you
get all the gold flags
?
SON OF A...

I didn't even notice the game kept track of that. You just expanded this game's life an extra 2-3 hours for me. :p

Looking back, I probably got around half or so. Sometimes I didn't even bother even when I could have... Wish I'd known about this!

I did get every star medal at least, and haven't had to get help on any of them, which was nice. :)

Apparently there -are- warp zones, BTW...

elektrixx

Banned
Are there any art asset packs? I want a make a new sig for other forums I'm on but I'm kinda scarce on renders for this game.

john tv said:
SON OF A...

I didn't even notice the game kept track of that. You just expanded this game's life an extra 2-3 hours for me. :p

While you're at it, be sure to complete every level
as both Mario and Luigi
. Also,
set your best time trial records for StreetPass

john tv

Cheesemeister said:
While you're at it, be sure to complete every level
as both Mario and Luigi
. Also,
set your best time trial records for StreetPass
Hmm, I think the flags are enough. Don't care personally about
time trial stuff
, and
definitely (okay probably ;p) not gonna go through every level as both M & L (does the game even keep track of this?)

elektrixx said:
Are there any art asset packs?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=32251448&postcount=1709
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=32285432&postcount=1713

john tv said:
Hmm, I think the flags are enough. Don't care personally about
time trial stuff
, and
definitely (okay probably ;p) not gonna go through every level as both M & L (does the game even keep track of this?)

It does. See the icons right next to the
gold flags

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Willy105 said:
I think I was too hard on this game. From the first World, this game seems to be a better combination of the old and the new than Sonic Generations was.

Do you have the game?

john tv

Cheesemeister said:
It does. See the icons right next to the
gold flags
I'm not seeing it on levels that I
cleared as both M&L.

Is that the only requirement? Maybe they have to both clear it with
gold flags
?

EDIT: Nope, that's not it. Did that, and nothing appeared.

spliced

Mik2121 said:
I had one place left to go after finishing all the Special stuff. NOW I just 100%'d it. Again, about 15 hours. Pretty neat, but too bad there's not much to do now other than replay the stages I already played.

If only the game had some sort of online leaderboards for time attacks...

For perspective sake how long did it take you to 100% Galaxy 2?

Mik2121

Cheesemeister said:
But did you
get all the gold flags
?

After 12:57 of play time, I apparently got all of the star coins except for the first one in World 5-2, currently at
Uhm... how can you have 299 coins? I got all of them in all the stages and I believe I also got all the ones in the boxes between levels.

Also, I got most of the golden flags, but really it's not like you unlock anything by getting all. I will get them, anyway...

Edit: What the hell. I just went through a bunch of the boxes and I got medals again. I'm at 299 too. But on every other box I just get the translucent medal...

Myansie said:
How's the 3D for those that have played it? Has it made anyone a believer?

This is the first game for the console where I've felt as though the 3D was truly a BIG benefit to the experience. I played the whole game through with it on.

It was also just easier to measure distance and figure out where I should be jumping when the 3D was on.

Just for some context, I'm not a big fan of 3D in games or film.

Mik2121

Uhm... what the hell. Apparently I'm missing one postcard
(the 10th one, got the ones from 1 to 9 and the 11th and 12th too). I guess it's related to the potentially missing 300th medal which I can't find at all. It's not one of the level medals for sure because I got all the stars on the worlds. What am I missing!?

john tv

Mik2121 said:
Uhm... how can you have 299 coins? I got all of them in all the stages and I believe I also got all the ones in the boxes between levels.

Also, I got most of the golden flags, but really it's not like you unlock anything by getting all. I will get them, anyway...

Edit: What the hell. I just went through a bunch of the boxes and I got medals again. I'm at 299 too. But on every other box I just get the translucent medal...
You can get extra star medals in the ? block areas and also by doing StreetPass with other people. I have 302 at the moment.

Edit: Maybe you get the thing you're missing by getting all
gold flags
?

Mik2121

john tv said:
You can get extra star medals in the ? block areas and also by doing StreetPass with other people. I have 302 at the moment.

Edit: Maybe you get the thing you're missing by getting all
gold flags
?
Uhmm... I got 6 streetpass with people with Mario on the first day but I don't remember getting extra medals. But yeah, it seems then there's no limit to them? If so I won't bother searching. I got all the medals you can get via the levels, so whatever.

As for the last postcard... I seriously wonder what am I missing :/ Can you go and see if you have the 10th postcard?

Edit: I just got the last postcard. My save has 4 stars on top. How many do you guys have?

@MUWANdo

Banned
Have any of you guys used the Assist Blocks with the invincibility leaf/p-wing? In NSMB Wii the stars on your save file would be rainbow-tinted if you beat the game without making the Super Guide appear, I wonder if there's something similar in play here.

Mik2121

@MUWANdo said:
Have any of you guys used the Assist Blocks with the invincibility leaf/p-wing? In NSMB Wii the stars on your save file would be rainbow-tinted if you beat the game without making the Super Guide appear, I wonder if there's something similar in play here.
I didn't use any, but my file save has the normal color. My gf used some though, and hers is also the normal color.

@MUWANdo

Banned
I think you were permanently locked out of earning rainbow stars in NSMBWii just by letting the Super Guide block appear, so that could be the case here too, but who knows. It's not a big deal, just curious.

Top Bottom