• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 3D World is NOT "just another Mario game".

Status
Not open for further replies.

hwy_61

Banned
Reading through the NY Times thread, I found several posts reducing SM3DW to being a "rehash", or "just another mario game", and playing through this game I have to say this couldn't be further from the truth.

This game is fantastic. Everything from the color palette, to the wonderful and amazing soundtrack, to the interesting mechanics in the levels is A+. People can shrug off and choose to be sarcastic about being able to pick characters as a new feature, but this feature ALONE adds so much to the game. I love this game so, so much, and it makes me genuinely happy. I've played for several hour long sessions, and I find myself giggling like a child, and smiling from ear to ear whenever Luigi says, "MEOWWWWW" at the end of a level.

If you are one of these naysayers, please, I IMPLORE you to reconsider. Nintendo still has it, this game is proof of that.

meow

drproton

My copy is coming in the mail just in time for the long weekend.

Is it like NSMB Wii/U where it's many times more fun and difficult with 4 players? or is it just as good in single player?

NMFried

The main thing that bothers me is when people trash Mario, Zelda, and Pokemon for being rehashes, yet they'll defend/play COD, Battlefield, and Assassin's Creed. I'm not saying we should trash COD, BF, etc., because I love those games as well, but it just leaves holes in their arguments.

Let's just all enjoy the games.

Aww.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Nobody really thinks the game is a rehash. You should ignore people's attempts to convince themselves they don't want to play it.

Zalman

Mario games, aside from the New series, have always been different from each other and tried something new. The "just another Mario game" statement shouldn't even be a thing.

People are to use to traditional shooter sequels where you do the same basic thing in new locales every game.

Its hard to understand the individual playbox style of the past few 3D Mario's without playing it and how fresh each level feels.

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
It's so far and above better than anything I've played on my PS4 so far. Mario is king.

Santiako

tumblr_lshktq78jm1qg39ewo1_500.gif

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Nobody really thinks the game is a rehash. You should ignore people's attempts to convince themselves they don't want to play it.

They don't think the game is a rehash because they don't think at all.

The anti-Nintendo brigade should at least try to get some real arguments before going into full-on drive-by trolling mode.

Linkhero1

Unless people claiming it's a rehash have played it and can back up what they're claiming it is rather than just post meaningless lies, then there's no point in responding to their troll attempt. This is what they want from you. This thread is basically an invitation for them to continue bashing what they don't understand.

On a completely different note, I can understand people getting tired of platformers. That's a whole different topic.

People who call any Mario game a "rehash" or "just another Mario game" clearly haven't played them, so their opinion on the series is completely meaningless to me.

The ONLY Mario title I have played where "rehash" MIGHT be appropriate would be New Super Mario Bros. 2 for the 3DS. It's the only game in the entire series that felt somewhat "phoned in" to me....and even still, it had some new things I hadn't seen in a Mario game before.

3D World is incredible. To call it a "rehash" is downright insulting to the team behind the game.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
Personally I've found the game decent, but not amazing in single player so far. I've finished the third world. (It was better than the first two for sure, but still not amazing. I did like the Boo House quite a bit though in terms of atmosphere.) Does it get better as a single player experience? (No spoilers please). The game did seem more fun in multiplayer though.

This game is absolutely amazing. As of right now, it's my game of the forever. It simply feels perfect in every way. It makes me sad other games can't nail how awesome the characters feel to control... or the 99% perfect camera...

Most of the people saying that are folks who have never played it or just following the crowd of others. Nintendo said it better than anyone else, and in game no less. This image will always hold true.

MisterHero

It's not just a 3D Mario. It's one that tries to bring the flexibility, speed and mechanics of 2D Mario into 3D. It not only succeeds but arguably improves on them.

Plus it has 4 players.

Zeer0id said:
it's the cat's meow
oh u

It's not just Mario, hell it's not even just Nintendo. People are too quick to dismiss things as rehashes, at times even calling things stale and tired after a single installment.

Tripon

The 3D platformer as a genre is rare these days. Outside of the Mario games, there isn't much left nowadays, so to me, when somebody says its just another Mario game, and its a rehash, etc. I'm just wondering, of what exactly because the only time you can say that is between Galaxy 1 and Galaxy 2 in the 3D Mario games, and there's a very specific reason for that.

I don't know, it may be me just being cynical, but I sometimes wish 3D Mario were more of the same old same old, because that would mean there would be more 3D platformers in general, instead of the dying genre that it is today.

orioto

Good Art™
I actually want to play the game badly, but i have to buy a wiiu just for that :(

Anyway OP, you're not really explaining how it's a different experience from galaxis. I get that the game is charming but concretely ?

Verendus

Banned
I was gifted this with a Wii U and some other games I'll never play. It's good, nothing amazing though. I've yet to complete it though, only played a few hours. I'm sure I'll finish it though as I'm enjoying it. I won't touch the console again after I'm done with this until I get X or Super Smash Bros so taking my time.

My rank of 3D Mario goes SMG (great) > SMG2 (great) > SM3DW (good) > Watching Paint Dry > SM64 (boring) > SMS (shit).

2D Mario still reigns supreme though. None of the 3D Marios have bested SMW or SMB3 in my eyes. Those games were special.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Personally I've found the game decent, but not amazing in single player so far. I've finished the third world. (It was better than the first two for sure, but still not amazing. I did like the Boo House quite a bit though in terms of atmosphere.) Does it get better as a single player experience? (No spoilers please). The game did seem more fun in multiplayer though.
theres this amazing review in the 3d world thread I want to point you to but I can't find it. It uses gifs to explain itself.

Pappasman

I was honestly shocked when I finished the game. It is just as good as Galaxy/2. From start to finish the game is on a constant rise in quality. Grade A stuff from EAD.

Mrbob

I actually want to play the game badly, but i have to buy a wiiu just for that :(

Anyway OP, you're not really explaining how it's a different experience from galaxis. I get that the game is charming but concretely ?

Have you played 3D Land? It is similar is design to that. Basically Nintendo takes a a 2D Mario level and transitions it into 3D. I don't think it is anything like the Galaxy games.

I love the design because it feels like a tighter experience to me.

It's killing me that I won't be able to start playing this until turkey day.

I'm going to Toys R Us, picking this up, and going hard all weekend. I can't wait.

drproton

It's not just a 3D Mario. It's one that tries to bring the flexibility, speed and mechanics of 2D Mario into 3D. It not only succeeds but arguably improves on them.

So it's not any different from 3D Land?

Plus it has 4 players.

Oh.

Not trying too be too snarky here, but most of Nintendo's initial reveals really undersold this game. I had to go research it to find that it actually had levels with unique art assets and new obstacles. I'm pretty excited about it now that I've heard impressions. I guess Paper Mario Sticker Star and a couple of the NSMB games made me wary about how they plan to progress the series.

Damaniel

Banned
The main thing that bothers me is when people trash Mario, Zelda, and Pokemon for being rehashes, yet they'll defend/play COD, Battlefield, and Assassin's Creed. I'm not saying we should trash COD, BF, etc., because I love those games as well, but it just leaves holes in their arguments.

Let's just all enjoy the games.

Aww.

The main problem is that Nintendo was very guilty of rehashing for a while. NSMB and NSMBU are downright lazy - especially considering the Wii U version is a glorified, upscaled rehash of its Wii-based cousin. I haven't been particularly fond of the recent console Zelda games, either, but not because they're rehashes - I just don't care for the 3D Zeldas very much.

Now, Super Mario 3D World could conceivably be considered a 'rehash' by people who see Super Mario 3D Land on the 3DS and say 'hey! Similar name, same game!' However, 3D World is distinct enough (and introduces so many new gameplay mechanics) that calling it a rehash is totally unfair. In fact, between it and A Link Between Worlds, I'm having more fun with Mario and Zelda than I've had in years (since Galaxy for Mario, and since Link to the Past for Zelda!)

I was gifted this with a Wii U and some other games I'll never play. It's good, nothing amazing though. I've yet to complete it though, only played a few hours. I'm sure I'll finish it though as I'm enjoying it. I won't touch the console again after I'm done with this until I get X or Super Smash Bros so taking my time.

My rank of 3D Mario goes SMG (great) > SMG2 (great) > SM3DW (good) > Watching Paint Dry > SM64 (boring) > SMS (shit).

2D Mario still reigns supreme though. None of the 3D Marios have bested SMW or SMB3 in my eyes. Those games were special.

You need some Spin the Bottle up in you ;)

Anteo

Reading through the NY Times thread, I found several posts reducing SM3DW to being a "rehash", or "just another mario game", and playing through this game I have to say this couldn't be further from the truth.

This game is fantastic. Everything from the color palette, to the wonderful and amazing soundtrack, to the interesting mechanics in the levels is A+. People can shrug off and choose to be sarcastic about being able to pick characters as a new feature, but this feature ALONE adds so much to the game. I love this game so, so much, and it makes me genuinely happy. I've played for several hour long sessions, and I find myself giggling like a child, and smiling from ear to ear whenever Luigi says, "MEOWWWWW" at the end of a level.

If you are one of these naysayers, please, I IMPLORE you to reconsider. Nintendo still has it, this game is proof of that.

meow

Read the bolded. That sounds like another mario game alright.
The usual stuff.

hwy_61

Banned

I think it feels a little faster than. Not as big and grandiose. Think galaxy production in a SM3 format.

Am I making any sense? Sorry if I'm not.

There's both an OT and a reviews thread for 3D World. Honestly, I agree that it's an amazing game, but we don't need a meta-response thread to posts in another thread. If you disagree with the what people are saying in other threads, reply in those threads. But this thread isn't necessary. I think the explanation of just how awesome Super Mario 3D World is is already covered.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom