• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 3D World: New Trailer

Roklie

This is the trailer they should've showed when the game was first unveiled at this years e3! The first trailer made it look like a Mario Party game, this one looks a LOT better. Glad to see there are open spaces as well.

D-e-f-

Banned
Nope, drop that run button and maybe I'll bite, Nintendo.

Prettier than it was last, but still looks constrained by 3D Land's controls and moveset. Really just a disappointing turn for the series.

And that tiered running speed based on time spent running looks just annoying as all hell.

EDIT: And drop the fucking timer, good god.

I'm guessing you didn't master the long-roll? Pretty awesome move that didn't exist before.

Anteo

I'm guessing you didn't master the long-roll? Pretty awesome move that didn't exist before.

I loved that move, allowed for some fun speed runs. Too bad they had to nerf long jump otherwise linking a roll into a long jump would be too imba.

Late to the thread!

Yeah, this game looks absolutely outstanding. So far at the end of this year we've had Pikmin 3, and The Wonderful 101. And soon we'll be getting Super Mario 3D World, Sonic Lost World, and Zelda: Wind Waker HD?

That's a lot of great software at the end of the year. People who don't even have the system yet have a lot to look forward to.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I honestly don't think I've ever seen a game have such a turnaround when it comes to GAF-opinion. Almost 100% difference from when the original E3 trailer hit.

Rizsparky

I honestly don't think I've ever seen a game have such a turnaround when it comes to GAF-opinion. Almost 100% difference from when the original E3 trailer hit.

They showed alot more variety in the new trailer which probably changed a few opinions.

Rubius

I'm glad that they used a lot of elements of super mario bros 2.

For instance the cherries :
mario3.jpg

Also, i'm glad that the castle song is remixed with a uplifting part.
That was a shame with super mario 3d land.

I find it weird that the bad guy is Bowser and not Wart. Wart would have been a good boss for a Super Mario Bros 2 "remake".
We will see, maybe Wart is in the background!

D-e-f-

Banned
I find it weird that the bad guy is Bowser and not Wart. Wart would have been a good boss for a Super Mario Bros 2 "remake".

Maybe there's another twist after the halfway point. Don't assume something's not in there because it hasn't been shown.

We already saw that the golden flag poles and character-specific flags are back, implying that getting them all unlocks something again. Maybe if you get the top of the flag pole with each character, you unlock Wart's Dream World with a few extra tough levels and a Wart boss battle.

Penguin

Or Wario...

Bowser is driving Wario's car
And seems part of Bowser's plot is to steal their treasure!

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I was already day 1 when this was announced. This video just sealed that deal permanently. So glad I got a Wii U. Cannot wait for this game.

Toad messing up everyone's fun off day.

iNHBSLtX2rt4r.gif
I love the details in this game. This is just one of them. "Such a nice sunny day. I'm enjoying my vacation. Oh shit, it's that guy we're after!"

I wish they'd go all out and put in an entire world that's just Subcon. All Subcon enemies, items (Like vegetables) and powerups. Levels all designed after places in SMB2. And the boss of the world must be Wart with a halfway castle boss of maybe Mouser. That's the one thing I'd love to see in a modern Mario game. Doesn't have to be an entire game, but at least one world dedicated to SMB2. Even if it's a secret world. (Just don't make it the world you can only get to if you get all the star coins and 100% the game. That bullshit is hard.) I'd die happy.

I wish they'd go all out and put in an entire world that's just Subcon. All Subcon enemies, items (Like vegetables) and powerups. Levels all designed after places in SMB2. And the boss of the world must be Wart with a halfway castle boss of maybe Mouser. That's the one thing I'd love to see in a modern Mario game. Doesn't have to be an entire game, but at least one world dedicated to SMB2. Even if it's a secret world. (Just don't make it the world you can only get to if you get all the star coins and 100% the game. That bullshit is hard.) I'd die happy.

If this were to happen, I can't see how this wouldn't end up as my favorite Mario game of all time. This is a great idea!

breakfuss

I'm still undecided on SMW3D. It's admittedly looking a heck of lot better, but it still seems like Mario in truncated form. I really want something with expansive levels and a cool overworld. But, we'll see. I'm optimistic.

Maybe there's another twist after the halfway point. Don't assume something's not in there because it hasn't been shown.

We already saw that the golden flag poles and character-specific flags are back, implying that getting them all unlocks something again. Maybe if you get the top of the flag pole with each character, you unlock Wart's Dream World with a few extra tough levels and a Wart boss battle.

Nintendo writes one dimensional stories. There will be no twist. This ain't a Kojima production

Busaiku

I really hate it when they give all the low level enemies more personality.
It makes it so much harder to stomp on them...

Javier

(Super Mario 3D Land Spoilers)

Bowser may be the final villain, but I can see Wart showing up as
the Boss of Special World 8

Chittagong

Gold Member
Oh man, that looks really amazing. Love the looks of the game, and really love the sharp vector type and icons in the HUD.

Very tempted to get a Wii U finally for this, but I really despise the tablet... maybe I will learn to love it.

Tourmeta

Looks much better than the reveal! My only problem is that it's going for the get to the flag in time mechanic. But at least everything in between is great.

RagnarokX

LOL.
In Kirby games,
when you help a guy at first, he become the final boss
x)

That's in later games.

In Kirby's Adventure King Dedede steals the star rod from the fountain of dreams and gives pieces of it to his henchmen. Kirby beats all of the bosses and Dedede and gets the star rod back, but it turns out the reason Dedede stole the star rod was to trap the nightmare in the fountain of dreams. So it turns out for most of the game you were actually playing a villain :p

RagnarokX

Does Wii U even have 3D support?

Of course. Nintendo made GCN support 3D... it never used it, but it supported it!

Wii U has a few games that support 3D. Whether or not Nintendo makes use of it is another story. Considering they haven't said anything about it yet I wouldn't hold my breath.

That's in later games.

In Kirby's Adventure King Dedede steals the star rod from the fountain of dreams and gives pieces of it to his henchmen. Kirby beats all of the bosses and Dedede and gets the star rod back, but it turns out the reason Dedede stole the star rod was to trap the nightmare in the fountain of dreams. So it turns out for most of the game you were actually playing a villain :p

I'm always surprised/amused/disturbed at your encyclopedic knowledge of seemingly every Nintendo franchise.

Part of life is realizing when one is wrong. I was wrong. The first trailer looked like a quick cash in with not much variety. This new trailer shows a lot of variety and fresh ideas. While this is not the Mario type game I was looking for, This does look like a great title worth owning.

Side note - the backgrounds in some places are flat out Beautiful. I got a fuzzy feeling of Super nes gaming for some odd reason when i saw the Boswer castle level.

Top Bottom