• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 64 Time Attack (16min)

3phemeral

Was pretty amazed. Kept thinking how impossible it would be to have to adjust the camera and pull of those complicated moves so precisely. Sadly, it is tool-assisted, but still amazing nonetheless.

16-minute 16-star playthrough of the first and one of the most versatile, action oriented 3-D games for the N64.

This tool-assisted movie is over a minute faster than the original test run, and takes many shortcuts favorable over the original ones. Most of the saved time is an accumulation of bits and pieces of optimization through Mario's movement and straighter paths to whatever destination.

What was very fortunate was that I was able to record with an analog stick, thus making radial positioning much more precise and ultimately making many pathways faster.

Thanks to Micheal Fried, Weatherton, nitsuja, Atma, and GeminiSaint for the useful strategies.

Abuses glitches. Takes damage to save time.

Red Scarlet

Teddman said:
So how is the final product achieved? Is there a way to edit all of the save state attempts into one long movie?

Zaxxon said:
When they say tool-assisted, what exactly does that mean? Which tools are used and what do they allow you to do?

They use savestates and re-recording (most of them say the re-record count at the start of the video). Some are played frame-by-frame (not exactly slow motion per-se, but literally 1 frame at a time). I think that's what most of them use; those two things. At least one (Mega Man 1 by bisqwit) was 'played by a robot' for a couple of seconds. They edit them together to give the appearance of a single-shot movie but it's really in thousands of tiny parts.

Pakkidis

Yeah, although amazing, using an emulator and save states take somewhat of the glory away. Still though, that video reminded me what an amazing game it was

fennec fox

ferrets ferrets ferrets ferrets FERRETS!!!
SteveMeister said:
Semantics bullshit. If it isn't a real person playing on the original platform, it's nothing but a sham. Basically they're saying "yes, the video is real" and it certainly is a real video. What it's not is a video of a real person playing Super Mario 64 on an unmodified Nintendo 64 with a standard Nintendo controller. That's what people mean when they accuse things like this of being fakes, and semantic arguments aren't going to change the fact that in that sense, videos like this most certainly ARE fakes.
I used to think this, but then I said to myself "It's entertaining, who gives a shit?"

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
fennec fox said:
I used to think this, but then I said to myself "It's entertaining, who gives a shit?"

I don't care about the video itself -- it IS fun to watch -- but they're being disengenuous when they get into semantic dodges like that.

Holy crap, I can't believe how fast this guy did all that. I remember spending 7 hours on the game the first day I got it. Only got to the first water level. Damn I suck. About the only glitch I knew that was pulled off was when he enters the door to the third floor of the castle and he glitchs through the spiral set of stairs, thats all I knew.
Makes me want to play the game again so badly, what a great game.

Mario_Hugo

Lisa Edelstein's dad touched my private parts. True fact.
I'd just like the mention this sentiment:

I no longer play games/find the time to play games. I still frequent this forum. I have been an absolute die-hard Sega fanatic my entire life--but Super Mario 64 is still the single greatest game I have ever played. Simply put, nothing will ever compare.

M

Senretsu

Thats some crazy shit! Tool assisted or not, my mouth dropped a few times (it's still playing 7 minutes into it right now).

the baby penguin! good god!

edit: forget the snow level, bowser level, holy crap...

I wish there had been an ice stage in SMS. Just imagine using FLUDD to create ice-walkways, or creating giant mats of ice for bosses to slip on. Such a missed opportunity. :(

haunts

Bacon of Hope
yeah, looks like everyone is being reminded how awesome this game was. I remmeber hwen i first played it was more or less MAGIC. i spent so much time with that game. makes me sad though that i dont have nearly as much fun with games these days as i did back then. i dont know if its just me or the games themselves. :\

Red Scarlet

It means both most of the time. N64 emulation with re-recording may be new, so if not frame by frame then really slow motion.

SantaC

Gold Member
Red Scarlet said:
It means both most of the time.

I once posted the 23 minute run of Castlevania CotM here on gaf, and people started to complain over it since it was an emu run, so it was not worth watching. Seems like the tunes has suddenly changed here.

personally I watch speedruns for entertaiment so i could care less if it was tool assisted or not.

ghibli99

Tool-assisted or not, the level of skill and timing a player needs to make all the necessary jumps (especially on those red coin levels... holy crap) is beyond what most of us are capable of... well, maybe we're capable, but not willing to put in that much time to do it. :)

Makes me want to slog through the DS version, since I don't have my N64 cart anymore.

Red Scarlet

The amount of blatancy and the game in question tend to be the deciding factor. Some are really neat while others just spit on the game.

"Skill" and "timing" of that type isn't that hard to do when you use the things they do.

ghibli99 said:
the level of skill and timing a player needs to make all the necessary jumps (especially on those red coin levels... holy crap) is beyond what most of us are capable of

That's basically the point of those videos.

ant1532

Banned
ghibli99 said:
Tool-assisted or not, the level of skill and timing a player needs to make all the necessary jumps (especially on those red coin levels... holy crap) is beyond what most of us are capable of... well, maybe we're capable, but not willing to put in that much time to do it. :)

Makes me want to slog through the DS version, since I don't have my N64 cart anymore.

just missed your chance :D went for $55!!!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Super-Mario-64-...247337579QQcategoryZ62053QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

27_1.JPG

SantaC

Gold Member
Red Scarlet said:
The amount of blatancy and the game in question tend to be the deciding factor. Some are really neat while others just spit on the game.

"Skill" and "timing" of that type isn't that hard to do when you use the things they do.

tbh i just don't watch speedruns for skill, I sometimes watch them to see the game if I haven't played it or finished it :)

I recently watched through startropics 2 since I never finished it myself.

SantaC

Gold Member
Red Scarlet said:
Well at least you watch both kinds (right?) and understand the differences between them. :)

Certainly. I often watch runs on speeddemos archieve, which means they're NOT tool-assisted. And sometimes I watch runs on bisqwit. (all done by emus)

seen several metroid runs by you btw.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
The most impressive runs are the non-tool assisted ones, of course, such as the countless Metroid runs or the sub-5 hours OoT single segment run.

ghibli99

Red Scarlet said:

True... and to be honest, I know very little about the various types of speedrun videos, so I'll defer to those who know much more about them, like you. Still, these are pretty entertaining to watch. I think the last one of these I sat through was the Donkey Kong highscore run on TG, and that isn't even the same type of video. :)

Sweedishrodeo

the smegma spreader
GaimeGuy said:
The most impressive runs are the non-tool assisted ones, of course, such as the countless Metroid runs or the sub-5 hours OoT single segment run.

the ocarina five hour trial was a good one. that got me to finally play majora's mask a while back.

Red Scarlet

ghibli99 said:
True... and to be honest, I know very little about the various types of speedrun videos, so I'll defer to those who know much more about them, like you. Still, these are pretty entertaining to watch. I think the last one of these I sat through was the Donkey Kong highscore run on TG, and that isn't even the same type of video. :)

There are a lot of really neat console ones too that do lots of tricks; not as extreme as the constant usage of them, but quite a bit. Like Gaimeguy mentioned; the Metroid Primes have some really good videos (kip's 1:04, Trebor's 22%, sparky's 1:28 100% and 2:25 100%), and Lecoureur's 70-star single segment are all cool to watch and have lots of new stuff that I had never seen prior.

They both tend to go for similar things (entertainment, fastest time that the person can muster), but one type loses out over the other if directly compared (a human playing in realtime will never outdo what savestates+frame by frame can accomplish).

Some emu ones are really fun to watch, like this one seems to be for most people. Others are just a lolwtf due to the absolute impossibility of what is going on to actually happen in a real play of the game (Dragon Warrior 1 in <20 minutes).

yodandy

video currently unavailable for anyone else? had it playing for a few mins, hit full screen, now i cant get the video back to play

ghibli99

Red Scarlet said:
There are a lot of really neat console ones too that do lots of tricks; not as extreme as the constant usage of them, but quite a bit. Like Gaimeguy mentioned; the Metroid Primes have some really good videos (kip's 1:04, Trebor's 22%, sparky's 1:28 100% and 2:25 100%), and Lecoureur's 70-star single segment are all cool to watch and have lots of new stuff that I had never seen prior.

They both tend to go for similar things (entertainment, fastest time that the person can muster), but one type loses out over the other if directly compared (a human playing in realtime will never outdo what savestates+frame by frame can accomplish).

Some emu ones are really fun to watch, like this one seems to be for most people. Others are just a lolwtf due to the absolute impossibility of what is going on to actually happen in a real play of the game (Dragon Warrior 1 in <20 minutes).
Thanks for the info... this actually helps me out a lot, and I'll definitely have to take a look at some of the videos you and the others have referenced above that are realtime. Nothing like making myself feel like a tard that I was still getting used to the controls in the first area of my first hour in Metrod Prime. :lol

blackadde

SteveMeister said:
Semantics bullshit. If it isn't a real person playing on the original platform, it's nothing but a sham. Basically they're saying "yes, the video is real" and it certainly is a real video. What it's not is a video of a real person playing Super Mario 64 on an unmodified Nintendo 64 with a standard Nintendo controller. That's what people mean when they accuse things like this of being fakes, and semantic arguments aren't going to change the fact that in that sense, videos like this most certainly ARE fakes.

they are just exploiting the game engine to it's absolute limits. untwist your panties and enjoy.

elmalloc

That video brought back a lot of memories.
I only need Shigeru Miyamoto to buy a console.

Amazing shit.

I hope the revolution will cast some crazy shit on zelda and mario.

I was trying to find a speedrun of the megaman games that wasn't tool-assisted. It's onlying amazing in the amount of patience that's required. No real skill. Anyone know where I can find em?

G-Fex said:
why in the hell didn't they make a proper sequel to this?

I don't understand you. you... people.

while you may not have liked it, there is no denying that Mario sunshine is the freakin' sequel.

Tarazet

HOLY CRAP.

I don't care if it's machine assisted, speedruns that good are a performance art. Wow, that was cool.

Top Bottom