• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Advance series as they should be (SNES colour restoration and no voices)

Rich!

These have been posted in other threads, but I feel now that the entire set is complete that they need bringing to more people's attention as a representation of what Nintendo should have offered in the first place.

Super Mario Advance: Super Mario Bros 2

retroarch-1015-185515eabb1.png

SNES Colour Patch by no one actually knows looool:

http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/2124/

Voice sample removal and SNES sound effect restoration patch by mangaman3000:

http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/2571/

Super Mario Advance 2: Super Mario World

SNES Colour Patch by Asaki:

http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/470/

http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/2564/

Super Mario Advance 3: Yoshi's Island

SNES Colour Patch by ShadowOne333:

http://www.bwass.org/bucket/SMA3 - Yoshis Island Color Restoration v5.rar

note: this colour patch was only in a beta stage just two weeks ago, and now it's fully complete! amazing work.

no more shitty yoshi sounds, hooray! back to the classic SNES sound effects!

http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/2590/

Super Mario Advance 4: Super Mario Bros 3: Bowser Boogaloo

SNES Colour Patch by Nintendo:

gbasp was out. colours are fine. GOOD JOB, NINTENDO

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

INSTRUCTIONS:

1. Obtaining your ROM. You can rip your own using a DS Lite. All you need is any flashcart (R4, Acekard, etc) which can be obtained nowadays for sod all. Use this homebrew app to rip any game inserted into the GBA slot to the Micro SD card as a *.GBA rom and save file.

2. Download Lunar IPS. Lightweight (155kb) software for patching ROMs and creating patches.

3. Download the patch you want, listed above. The one you use may differ based on your cart region. Patch using LIPS. If you want both patches, install the colour patch first.

4. Play. Use an emulator on your PC (mgba or retroarch), play on the real hardware (using an EZ Flash IV) or on your N3DS using retroarch gpsp.

enjoy

Is there any way to play the e-reader levels for Mario 3?

Neat patches. The colors I didn't mind so much but I hated the voices they added to all of them.

Is there a World-e patch for SMA4: SMB3? If so, we have a definitive version of Super Mario 3 at our hands.

Also, I like Yoshi sounds. :( But, yeah, Mario's voice acting was nothing but "hey, GBA can produce live sound" and should be gone, and washed-out colors were just a necessity for non-backlit low-quality (by today's standards, of course) screen.

Just what I needed :)

Ha!

DMNBT

Neo Member
I've kind of grown attached to the voices, but the color restoration is very much welcome!

Now if someone could fix the awful colors in the DKC games...

Is there any way to play the e-reader levels for Mario 3?

Neat patches. The colors I didn't mind so much but I hated the voices they added to all of them.

Is there a World-e patch for SMA4: SMB3? If so, we have a definitive version of Super Mario 3 at our hands.

Also, I like Yoshi sounds. :( But, yeah, Mario's voice acting was nothing but "hey, GBA can produce live sound" and should be gone, and washed-out colors were just a necessity for non-backlit low-quality (by today's standards, of course) screen.

Ha!

There are save files out there that have all of the e-world content, both the us and japanese levels are there, and even the japanese levels are translated. But I can't seem to find it anymore.

Edit: I found a save file on GBAtemp that has all 32 of the e-reader levels outside of the Mario 1 remakes, translated names and eveything, but I'm not sure if I can say anything else more than that.

Sciz

Oh, cool. I knew people had worked out the palettes, but I didn't know the awful sound effects had been fixed too.

DekuLink

Just curious, if you intend to play on a PC or any other system that support SNES emulators, why would you play the GBA-versions anyway if you want them to be like the SNES versions?

Except for SMB2 US that doesn't have one of course.

Rich!

Just curious, if you intend to play on a PC or any other system that support SNES emulators, why would you play the GBA-versions anyway if you want them to be like the SNES versions?

For the N3DS, Yoshis Island GBA runs locked 60fps. SNES doesn't due to the SFX2.

Also, extra levels.

Sapiens

For the N3DS, Yoshis Island runs locked 60fps. SNES doesn't due to the SFX2.

Also, extra levels.

Beyond the reduced resolution what are the major graphical differences between the snes and gba versions of yashis island?

HUELEN10

For the N3DS, Yoshis Island runs locked 60fps. SNES doesn't due to the SFX2.

Also, extra levels.

Also, superior play. Luigi is unique in SMA2 and you have princess coins, SMA is totally new and has a new boss and Yoshi mode, and SMA3 has the new ending.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
If only we could get these versions on the VC.

I'd love to play them on my GamePad but the coloring has kept me back for a while. Also, the Yoshi's Island inferior port. (FFS, I just want Yoshi and Star Fox on the VC!)

Nintendo's obsession with voice acting in Mario games in the early 2000s was terrible. So glad they got over that.

fernoca

The added voices were cute. And wasn't the change in colors related to the GBA not having a backlit screen?. :p

Still, nice stuff for those interested.

EmSeta

Voices are fine. Is it tricky to use the N3DS for emulation? What about the Vita?

I tried searching for the SMA games on the EU Wii U VC, but only found Yoshi's Island. Aren't the others available? Man, I wish Nintendo would just release them all on the 3DS VC.

The pumped up contrast in the original GBA games were a result of the GBA lacking a backlit light. I guess this was a Nintendo policy to crank up the colours in everything to make games visible on the OG screen. It really hurt the look of a lot of GBA ports.

For example:

dkcheadtohead_cavern1_small.jpg

The DKC series on the GBA needs a complete recolouring.

GBA:
443367-rock-n-roll-racing-game-boy-advance-screenshot-the-results.png

SNES:
Rock%27n%20Roll%20Racing%20-%20Ingame%201.gif

Lijik

dkcheadtohead_cavern1_small.jpg

The DKC series on the gBA needs a complete recolouring.

I hope this happens one day, these were always a lot more egregious to me than the recoloring in the Mario ports. Itd be nice to play DKC3 with the gba soundtrack without the colors looking washed out

Rich!

I hope this happens one day, these were always a lot more egregious to me than the recoloring in the Mario ports. Itd be nice to play DKC3 with the gba soundtrack without the colors looking washed out

It's not ever going to happen to an acceptable standard.

They're fucked beyond repair. Unlike the Mario and Zelda ports, Rare decided to resize every graphic by about 33%. Animation cycles were also inexplicably reduced.

dkc2gbasnescomparelcbiq.png

-shadow-

Still annoyed Nintendo never officially re-balanced the colours for the Virtual Console. I know they're way to lazy for that. But the games as they are look absolutely terrible by the brightening for the GBA game and now the darkening filter on the WiiU VC. Sure not all games suffer from this, but some games are awful...

I think the Voice Removal patch for Super Mario Bros. 3 Advance needs some more work, it does what it does, removes the voices, but it also removes the music.

Rich!

I think the Voice Removal patch for Super Mario Bros. 3 Advance needs some more work, it does what it does, removes the voices, but it also removes the music.

Oh shit. That's the only one I haven't tried!

I've removed it from the OP. I'll notify romhacking.net

lazygecko

Even though they're not ports so their palettes are slightly better, I would still like to see similar color patches for native GBA games like the Mega Man Zero and Castlevania series.

dickroach

oof I don't remember DKC on GBA looking that ugly. I guess anything goes when you're able to play games in the backseat of a car like it's the god damn future

Rich!

oof I don't remember DKC on GBA looking that ugly. I guess anything goes when you're able to play games in the backseat of a car like it's the god damn future

The day I bought Mario Kart Super Circuit upon launch was the second most incredible "this is the fucking future" moment I've ever had in gaming aside from Super Mario 64.

...and I played most of it in a goddamn car.

I'm mostly in it for the colour fix, as the voices didn't annoy me as much as they have others. But lazy to go through this whole process though. Call me when we're able to download patched roms. That's allowed, right? I own all 4 GBA carts!

Mega

Banned
The day I bought Mario Kart Super Circuit upon launch was the second most incredible "this is the fucking future" moment I've ever had in gaming aside from Super Mario 64.

...and I played most of it in a goddamn car.

As a huge Symphony of the Night fan, I had a moment playing Circle of the Moon on a friend's launch GBA.

SoulUnison

Banned
The colors and sound in the GBA ports are definitely off, but I never realized there was such a hatred for the small voice clips they added.

Top Bottom