• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Maker Bookmark website + 1.3.0 update live

Gurrry

Going on Gaf MM threads always reminds me how crap my levels are compared to everything else ;_;

My trick is to find one element of a level I play, and make an entire level based off that. For instance, my Dodge The Stars level was an idea I got from watching the Kelpocolypse Giant Bomb video.

Any time youre struggling with ideas, go play some levels and find something you find interesting, and make an entire level around that gimmick.

What should I call classic Mario platforming style levels? The best I can come up with is either speedrun or remix, but my levels are neither. There needs to be a platforming or obstacle course tag.

Any time youre struggling with ideas, go play some levels and find something you find interesting, and make an entire level around that gimmick.

I like watching streamers play expert no-skip runs for inspiration.

Because more times than not, a lot of these expert stages have decent ideas in them or neat gimmicks. But then they throw some obnoxious garbage that gets in the way, or make the level far too long, or have that gimmick well over stay its welcome.

That seems to be the problem with a lot of stages. They find a gimmick and just don't know when to quit. Levels don't have to max out the timer, short levels can be perfectly fine. New Super Luigi is a fantastic example of an entire game built around tiny levels.

fhqwhgads

My trick is to find one element of a level I play, and make an entire level based off that. For instance, my Dodge The Stars level was an idea I got from watching the Kelpocolypse Giant Bomb video.

Well it's less a case of lack of inspiration and more that i know that there's so many artistic and insanely thought out level designs in these threads and i just know "wow this is better than i can ever do."

Seems a little petty on paper but this eats at me bad sometimes, like i'm stuck in some middle ground between skill and "fuck it automatic levels all day"

Well then, time to set some speed run benchmarks for future players of my courses.

Here's my profile. I've only posted five courses so far, four of them from before the checkpoint patch (which I'll likely add checkpoints to and revise when I find the time), but I might as well share them here now that there's an easy way to do it.

My latest (still quite new and in need of playtesting):

Throwing Up All Over

I hope you remember your SMW techniques. Look for the optional challenge objective (clear the course with Yoshi) and brag on Miiverse if you manage to achieve it. One of you here already has.

And my older ones, in order of completion rate from easiest to hardest:

Bait-and-Switch Beltway

If you don't already know how P-switches interact with conveyor belts, you are about to find out.

Take the A-Train

Prepare to be boarded.

It Might as Well Be Spring

My first course, created under Day 2 constraints in the toolkit.

Ghost of a Chance

My most complex creation, with many alternate paths and unique encounters, but also a frightfully low completion rate due to its length and the difficulty of one of the bosses. I plan to retune this one but invite you all to clear the original as a challenge.

I keep abreast of the Mario Maker OT, but it's nice to see everyone's portfolios once again in a much less cluttered thread. Hoping to catch up with some of your courses soon.

Not_Mario

Neo Member
The website works really nicely on mobile. This type of thing really should've been there at launch so I'm glad they finally added it. Looks like I'll be getting back into Mario Maker.

It's pretty surprising looking at people's clear times on some of my levels being as low as 30 seconds. It's also funny how they ranked easy, normal and hard difficulties based on 50%, 10% and 5% completion ratings.

If you want to play my levels here, I recommend Waluigi's Hot Stiletto Sortie and Bowser's Leaky Pipes as my best levels.
https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/profile/NotMario

CrisKre

Here is a small selection of my courses. Just click on the picture. :)
Sometimes the overview picture is not as promising as the level itself. The action often starts in the subworld.

Sawblade Walker
Find the legendary shoes to overcome the deadly saw blades.
3 hidden 1-Ups

All of Dementios courses are absolutely awesome, but sawblade walker is trully trully special. Thoroughly recommended!

I noticed a thing, not sure if it's widely known yet, but now when you duck while holding a Buzzy Beetle or Spiny Shell, you put it on as a helmet. It doesn't have to land on your head anymore.

This works in every theme but SMB1, since you can't pick up items in that.

Zee-Row

Banned
This is my best level.

CW2uBEiUAAAtP8o.png:large
https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/courses/1907-0000-0027-CA1F

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
This is my profile. I have to get back to making stages in this, though with the update out I really want to try some shooter stages first.

Diffense

With the new record time stats players have a small incentive to finish quickly. I can imagine a level with a short hard path and a longer easy part after a checkpoint. If you die on the hard part, the checkpoint drops you on the easy section but you take longer to finish.

Dimentios

I did a speedrun of your level. It was very fun.
Speedrun isn't perfect, I had some colissions and used a shortcut.

Haha, glad you had fun. I wonder where you found a shortcut?

All of Dementios courses are absolutely awesome, but sawblade walker is trully trully special. Thoroughly recommended!

Thank you very much for your kind words. You're deserving stars just by the looks of your overviews and your artworks.
All your levels I played thus far are beautiful (the gameplay of course too) and the rest of them are already bookmarked.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sawblade walker got over 50 stars in the last 12 hours. Thank you GAF.

CrisKre

Thank you very much for your kind words. You're deserving stars just by the looks of your overviews and your artworks.
All your levels I played thus far are beautiful (the gameplay of course too) and the rest of them are already bookmarked.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sawblade walker got over 50 stars in the last 12 hours. Thank you GAF.

Its probably Gaf and the fact that Sawblade Walker is featured in the recommended section. My level Snowy Sky Lift Summit got over 50 stars today as well, and its on the recommended section too.

Ill leave a link again in case someone wants to check it out (i know you have Dementios since you left me an awesome drawing!):

69B1-0000-00E7-B91F_full.jpg

Snowy Sky Lift Summit!
https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/courses/69B1-0000-00E7-B91F

J-Fr

I completely cleaned my profile, kept only the courses I was proud of.
I will surely redo my previous levels with a more traditional design in mind!

In water, no one can hear you .. - [Easy]

Companion Bob-Omb 1 (Take it!) - [Normal]

MTW 1-1 Thwomping Grounds - [Normal]

Naufrage Extrème - [Kaizo]

CrisKre

Merry Christmas GAF!!!

Made a new level!!

1dd990219ca2fd761853ebb7f613562c_copy.jpg

Recycle Ruins Rhapsody!
Bookmark Link:https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/courses/E59E-0000-0135-EBE9
E59E-0000-0135-EBE9_full.jpg

This is probably my favorite level I made just by the fact that I simply had a BLAST making it. I lately have been playing Shovel Knight a lot and have been very inspired by it, so made an original SMB level with Yacht Club Game's title in mind. Its a waste management Fortress, where most piles of garbage are little puzzles to solve, plus there is a boss and SHMUP section thrown in for good measure. If anyone tries it don't be afraid to explore the trash piles!

I'd love to know what you guys think!!!

Top Bottom