• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Odyssey - 10/10 from Edge

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will celebrate, just that when zelda released, this behavior was exactly what happened and soured me on GAF for a while. No problem criticizing something of course.

I think there won't be as much gnashing of teeth here. Zelda was wrapped up in the launch of a new console so people were waving their flags a bit more.

But really proclaiming anything "the greatest ever" is a magnet for criticism.

ozfunghi

Depends on whether you want to count Bayo 2 as a Nintendo title since they're just the publisher but heavily involved in development.

Since Bayo2 is basically expanding on Bayo1, i wouldn't really count it, personally. The concept was well established prior to Nintendo's involvement.

I think there won't be as much gnashing of teeth here. Zelda was wrapped up in the launch of a new console so people were waving their flags a bit more.

But really proclaiming anything "the greatest ever" is a magnet for criticism.

Yes, i agree. Talking things in absolute tends to bring this behavior

Forkball

Horizon Zero Dawn more like Borizon Zero Fun

Breath of the Wild more like Breath of the Mild

Super Mario Odyssey more like Stupid Mario Flopyssey

That last one wasn’t very good but my point still stands.

Kebiinu

Banned
It's arguably the open world that play the best out of all of them, zelda included.

The real miss of Horizon is the dialogue with npcs. Its rarely interesting and it feels horribly "forced" when the content of it is dramatic

The real hit is the enemy variety / combat / overall focused experience

Lol Horizon's open-world is completely below the bar from not just Zelda, but games like the Witcher 3 too.

Vlade

I don't even understand why people care so much about "GOTY". A game may be perfect, but if it isn't AAA million seller title it has 0 chances of winning GOTY awards.

Most of these are biased towards western game design too and the idea that they're the "Oscar of gaming" is sad. Maybe if the Academy starts giving awards to Transformers movies.
Did you just praise the Oscars for valuing cultural diversity and low budget revolutionary works?

Makonero

Iwata once said the Mario team and Zelda team work side by side.

I bet a crossover would get the impossible 11/10.

crossover? already happened

WEssqvB.gif

NWnoqwE.png

X9SCwK1.jpg

osT8fr5.gif

farmerboy

Hardly surprising as Edge has had a love affair with Nintendo from year dot. Though that affair has been passionately reignited with the Switch.
Maybe, just maybe, they've been slightly blinded by that passion 😉

All good though, cos every Ninty game they've rated this highly has always been, in the very least, a fucking great game.

I don't even understand why people care so much about "GOTY". A game may be perfect, but if it isn't AAA million seller title it has 0 chances of winning GOTY awards.

Most of these are biased towards western game design too and the idea that they're the "Oscar of gaming" is sad. Maybe if the Academy starts giving awards to Transformers movies.

And the Oscars are biased towards Western cinema output and favours major studios...

Your analogy backfires spectacularly.

Guys can we not just celebrate that another new game is coming out that is being praised for the amount of content and love it has? We don't have to go into comparisons. Save that for the GotY thread!

We should be happy that a new Mario game is out! We should also be happy that we gamers are getting another excellent game!

ozfunghi

I'm willing to entertain arguments about why it doesn't count, but that one is strange.

Strange? I wouldn't know why anyone would think that's strange. The concept, the core gameplay mechanics, the Bayonetta universe, the style... had already been well established with the first Bayonetta. The fact that Nintendo funded the second game, and assisted with development, doesn't make this a "Nintendo game" in my book. Nintendo's main contribution was the fact that they believed in the game, when nobody else did.

Afrodium

Banned
Does this game need even remotely as many moons as there are korok seeds in BOTW?

Something to keep in mind is that the Korok seeds were a somewhat insignificant collectable in top of the shrines, sidequests, and divine beasts. In comparison, the moons in Mario are likely the reward for pretty much everything. So 900 moons means 900 levels/objectives/minigames/etc., in which case, yeah, 900 moons sounds incredible.

Though is some of the gameplay vids there's moons for things like breaking a box somewhat off the beaten path, so if small tasks like that make up the majority of moons then that will be somewhat disappointing.

Did you just praise the Oscars for valuing cultural diversity and low budget revolutionary works?

Oscar has many flaws like you said... and GOTY Awards manages to be even worse, it just rewards the top of the top. They considered Lara Croft Go the best handheld game of 2015 and had Dragon Age Inquisition for best game over Bayonetta 2 in 2014.

While the Academy Awards is a flawed awards show, GOTY is more like a big commercial for top publishers.

Man i cant wait for this game my gamestop confirmed they were doing a midnight release as they have well over a 100 pre-orders for the game so cant wait to get that. I already took a paid day off on the 27th to jump start my mario weekend :)

wbEMX

Pretty much what I expected since the Zelda ratings hype. I fully expect Mario to take over Zelda as GOTY. And if it tops Mario Galaxy it will be the best game of all time for me.

October 27th will be glorious for gamers. Mario and Wolfie. 15 days, guys!

Here's my prediction, it will get the 98 on metacritic and the world will go insane. And then polygon, specifically polygon gives the game an 8 and the world catches fire.

wbEMX

Here's my prediction, it will get the 98 on metacritic and the world will go insane. And then polygon, specifically polygon gives the game an 8 and the world catches fire.

Or even better: Jim Sterling gives it a 7 or 8. And the shitstorm that will ensue will be freaking glorious to watch.

Sygma

But Horizon's world is static and boring, unlike Breath of the Wild.

It's also lacking the secrets and more in depth exploration of Witcher. Horizon's world feels like eye candy but lacking in actual substance.

I honestly don't see the point of Horizon's open world. It feels like an Ubisoft game at times.

Its a hunting game, it needed to be filled with things to hunt in order to craft and tackle on challenges, with a proper enemy variety. And welp it did just that without hitting false notes. Horizon is more akin to a game like Fable, by essence

as for the rest its not a good place to talk about it. Watch Dogs 2 corrected a lot of blandness that Ubi's games have, and apparently AC : Origins is expanding on that too. There was nothing memorable about Witcher 3's design. "?" markers isn't exactly interesting content. However, getting gear sets in places was, rather than buying them

And the Oscars are biased towards Western cinema output and favours major studios...

Your analogy backfires spectacularly.

Maybe it was a bad comparison after all. Still we have time to not give GOTY the relevance other big awards cerimony have (I know this won't happen and they'll just keep getting bigger, but at least I tried).

Makonero

Its a hunting game, it needed to be filled with things to hunt in order to craft and tackle on challenges, with a proper enemy variety. And welp it did just that without hitting false notes. Horizon is more akin to a game like Fable, by essence

as for the rest its not a good place to talk about it. Watch Dogs 2 corrected a lot of blandness that Ubi's games have, and apparently AC : Origins is expanding on that too. There was nothing memorable about Witcher 3's design. "?" markers isn't exactly interesting content. However, getting gear sets in places was, rather than buying them

It's a hunting game where there's monsters and creatures every five steps. I got so sick and exhausted fighting the same robots again and again and each new robot seemed to be a slightly different version of an earlier robot. I gave up about halfway through because I got seriously bored with the combat, the world was so uninteresting considering the lore and the story wasn't doing it for me.

ajjow

After zelda and the witcher, i dont expect any great game for the next 5 years.

If mario can make it, i will be floored.

Really, zelda and the witcher are the best thing that happened to games...

Iwata once said the Mario team and Zelda team work side by side.

I bet a crossover would get the impossible 11/10.

This a deep pull from my memory but I believe “This is Spinal Tap” achieved the first 11/10 when it came out on dvd at IGN. A score I find fitting. So it is not impossible and Nintendo can’t be the first.

Edit : yep. Here it is. Over 17 years ago.
http://m.ign.com/articles/2000/09/08/this-is-spinal-tap

Sky Walker

Meanwhile at Sega after reviews for Forces come out.

"Wow a 7 is pretty good compared to other games in our franchise"
Sometimes while watching Forces videos, I feel that I would be surprised if the game got as high as 70% scores. Such a downgrade from Generation and Mania.

Flying Fish

Neo Member
And the Kirby in Link's Awakening, though more on topic are the Chain Chomps, Goombas, Cheep-Cheep and Thwomps that appear in the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom