• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Odyssey - 10/10 from Edge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jedi2016

A game doesn't need to be groundbreaking or innovative to get a good store. It just has to be a good game. Odyssey certainly looks like it fits that description, reviews aside.

EhoaVash

Here to say TP is the best Zelda followed by Skyward sword.

Wind waker is trash tier

Botw is pretty great for it's overworld and exploration but it completely failed on the dungeon part. Game treated dungeons as babies first puzzle solving in a Zelda game.

It's lack of meaty dungeons and lack of items to juggle in solving puzzle drops it down a notch.

Zelda to.me is all about dungeon puzzle solving and items. Both botw severely lacked/half baked

The only thing TP has going for it is Dungeons, Bosses and Midna. Too bad you gotta slog through all the filler bullshit in between to get to it. TP would be a better game if it was half the length. As is though meh. I think BOTW is better.

WW is the worst Zelda for me simply because it has the most boring way of traveling from one location to the next.

One of the best facets of BOTW for me is the variety of options for traversing the world it offers.

True. The horses are awful and almost useless in BOTW, but it's so easy to ignore them.

Sygma

WW is the worst Zelda for me simply because it has the most boring way of traveling from one location to the next.

One of the best facets of BOTW for me is the variety of options for traversing the world it offers.

That I totally understand, even tho when playing Botw im almost always on foot because the horse stuff is as bad as Witcher 3. I miss my red talking boat

ChaosXVI

Sorry if this has already been said, but somehow this thread is super fucking massive and I didn't feel like searching it: Do we know when the embargo is up?

The fact people have to bring up Skyward Sword to dismiss a Mario review 5 years later is insane.

Even more when SS really is a 10/10 game.

So uhh, did we ever get anymore info on the review?

The one this thread is about.

Super Mario Odyssey.

I don't know if it's been posted yet, but on terms of story, apparently "Bowser is at its most competent and Peach is no helpless damsel either, with her role expanding on the postgame (though not exactly in the way you might expect)."

Also apparently a "single late-game reaction shot has ramifications to the series' lore" and
"there's a thrilling final throwback to 64 around the climax of the game."

yes, the game seems to have almost the same amount of korok seeds in botw and they talk about how the game borrows the exploration aspect of botw.

Did they mention the size of the world compared to BotW? Hopefully much smaller. My biggest complaint against it is vast spaces of nothingness.

Sheroking

I think TP is better.

It has more energy, personality, and innovation than BotW.

"Twilight Princess has more innovation than Breath of the Wild" is an opposite day level statement. Like, I'm going to need an essay on my desk about that because it's indefensible to my way of thinking.

The entire foundation of Twilight Princess was "let's go back and make an Ocarina successor". It has some inventiveness in it's dungeons, but the fundamental design of the game is the safest of all of the 3D Zelda games by a large margin. Breath of the Wild basically only does new things for the franchise and even for the genre.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Super Mario Odyssey |OT| Nipples of the Wild

And I'm acutally Obama's lost son. No really what the actual fuck.

Not sure about inovation, but it had more personality. The game has a dramatic feel overall and the art direction + writting work together pretty well to show that to the player. The idea of having a dark princess as the main companion, while Zelda - the light princess - is sidelined is original too as past Zelda titles worked with the concept of the light needing to beat the darkness, not co-existence like TP.

Aya Kyogoku, AC: New Leaf's director, wrote the script and you can see how the whole TP world feels alive because of it.

BOTW has problems like the characters and story saying you have to go fast to beat Ganon and save the world, but the game wants you to explore and chill at the same time. It just doesn't work.

BOTW has problems like the characters and story saying you have to go fast to beat Ganon and save the world, but the game wants you to explore and chill at the same time. It just doesn't work.

Have you played the game? A literal ghost appears at the end of the tutorial and basically says "You're not ready to take on Ganon, take you're time to explore and prepare."

RagnarokX

Dungeons yah but BoTW had pretty inventive puzzles around the overworld on those Shrines and out.
Eh, they were okay, but very few puzzles in BotW scratched my puzzle itch the way past Zeldas have. I can sum up most shrines in BotW with "That's it?!" I think part of it is by not having traditional dungeons and keeping all puzzles separate there are no real overarching connected puzzles or sense of progression with them.

Ancient Cistern and pretty much the whole desert was fantastic. (The rest: meh or worse) But 1/3 good, 2/3 bad doesn't make an overall good game.

3D World isn't as fun alone, but still good from start to finish. Deserves a 10 more than that at least.
Eh, Ancient Cistern, Lanayru Mining Facility, Sand Ship, and Sky Keep are all top-tier dungeons, and I would say that Skyview Temple, Earth Temple, and Fire Sanctuary are all solid good dungeons. Skyward Sword has no bad dungeons. And on top of that the sections between dungeons are mostly great (especially the desert and Silent Realms). Sky Keep deserves extra praise for not only being the only final dungeon in a 3D Zelda to have some meat to it, but also making me like a sliding tile puzzle. I hate those!

I can't wait for two months from now when people claim it was underwhelming after months of saying it was going to win game of the year, overrating its flaws while being wrong and actually being brilliant.
Wait until they see the levels that look like this:
gk2YMMu.jpg

(This is not Luncheon)

Have you played the game? A literal ghost appears at the end of the tutorial and basically says "You're not ready to take on Ganon, take you're time to explore and prepare."

Yes, all beasts/memories/master sword. The characters do bring up a lot how Ganon is going to free himself and destroy Hyrule soon, yet there's no sense of urgency in the gameplay.

KiN0

I really hate how some people feel like they have to deflate the hype for an upcoming game just to prop up another game they like.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom