• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Odyssey - 10/10 from Edge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chessr

34 here. This game looks like pure happiness. And I can't wait to play this with my daughter.

P.S. is that your switch in your avatar? I've been looking everywhere for the double blue joycon pack lol

Beautiful.

Yes its my switch :) picture taken with canon camera :). Got the neon switch and the neon pack at launch :)

i dont think you can buy a double blue pack ? only red/blue :)

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
3 or so hours. So you barely finished the tutorial area, haven't seen any villages, proper shrine puzzles, actual gundeon mechanics, or enemies besides bokoblins and slimes, nor actual weapon variety. Congratz on that profound opinion on BotW.
He says provocative things like that, because he likes to see people « whine » (that’s an explanation he gave on a previous B- team effort post about Mario Kart 7). Don’t bother. Mario Odyssey should be all about joy.

BoTW is basically an adventure simulator. Sounds like you didn't have the right mindset for that.

I love exploration in video games. I don't love cumbersome traversal mechanics. I don't love fetch quests. I don't love odd controls (namely the position of the jump button) and frustratingly stopping and starting fights because my weapons are as brittle as glass.

Raven117

Gold Member
They gave BotW a 10, and I'd give it a 6.5 based on the 3 or so hours I played of it (I also have no desire to return to such a chore of a game).

So yeah, that doesn't mean anything to me.

It didn't work for me either man. And I LOVE open world games. I put 50 hours into it beat it...and I never felt liked it clicked for me. Me personally 7.5.

Im sure we will have these discussions well into the "awards" portion of the year.

I love exploration in video games. I don't love cumbersome traversal mechanics. I don't love fetch quests. I don't love odd controls (namely the position of the jump button) and frustratingly stopping and starting fights because my weapons are as brittle as glass.

Are you, me?

Quonny

You played 3 hours of a game that most people got over 100 hours out of and your trying to act like your score means anything to anybody LOL

3 hours is a lot of time to a lot of people.

You guys need to cool it with this attack. While I agree that the post came off a little snarky, if you're not enjoying something for three hours you have every right to not interact with that product anymore.

I played it for 4.5 and sent it back to GameFly. It was boring to me. That's all.

Renna Hazel

After BotW I was pretty sure no game this year would top it. I'm still pretty sure of that, but getting less sure as we get closer and closer to Odyssey.

i think Mario odyssey will be an amazing game, i love that they finally brought back the real 3D Mario

but the scores for any nintendo game is nothing to me, they sympathize with Nintendo

i don't expect Mario odyssey to be lower than 93, my guess is 95

it-begins.gif

Clearly the Edge reviewer was starving for games on the Switch. Now I haven’t played the game but I bet you all if this game was released on the PS4 it would score not more than 6/10. I mean it’s not even 1080p for crying out loud! Plus it’s Mario, yes sure the game might be fun, but there will be no story in the game. There is no social commentary, no clear message, no depth of characters, hell I doubt there is even any character development in the game. These kinds of games may deserve high scores in the early 90s (no way 10 out of 10 though) because at the time games were primarily targeting kids. However, now as an adult I need something far more complex than Italian plumber riding dinosaurs (lol). I suppose the joke’s on me, expecting a publication who has such a crush for Nintendo to speak out and say the truth, but I really was hoping for a more objective review from EDGE, at least this time around.

SMH

This is awesome do more lmao

Renna Hazel

Sounds like a fair opinion to me, but if you ever do try to go back to it just know that you can change the jump button in the options menu.

Crazyorloco

Yes its my switch :) picture taken with canon camera :). Got the neon switch and the neon pack at launch :)

i dont think you can buy a double blue pack ? only red/blue :)

nice! The last time I saw it was at Nintendo NYC. they haven't sold it again in months. :( Hopefully they get them in again soon.

Snaku

Banned

Basically nailed everything I hated about BotW, which basically amounted to the core game. :/

ciD_Vain

Clearly the Edge reviewer was starving for games on the Switch. Now I haven’t played the game but I bet you all if this game was released on the PS4 it would score not more than 6/10. I mean it’s not even 1080p for crying out loud! Plus it’s Mario, yes sure the game might be fun, but there will be no story in the game. There is no social commentary, no clear message, no depth of characters, hell I doubt there is even any character development in the game. These kinds of games may deserve high scores in the early 90s (no way 10 out of 10 though) because at the time games were primarily targeting kids. However, now as an adult I need something far more complex than Italian plumber riding dinosaurs (lol). I suppose the joke’s on me, expecting a publication who has such a crush for Nintendo to speak out and say the truth, but I really was hoping for a more objective review from EDGE, at least this time around.

SMH
10/10

SMH

I know this is a joke post but we don't know that it's not 1080p. Digital Foundry reported 900p on the latest demo build, not the final build. The recent videos have looked a bit cleaner than the demo build footage so it might wind up being 1080p.

WestEgg

SMH

Super Mario Odyssey was a good game, but look at this year's Mustang GT! It can go from 0-60 in 5 seconds flat, has leather seats, and passenger climate control! Super Mario Odyssey doesn't even have a trunk for me to store my extra tire. 0/10, would not buy as a car.

I'm only like 50% sure your post was satirical based on some of the other comments.

sdornan

SMH

Is this satire?

Wamb0wneD

"I don't love cumbersome traversal mechanics":
You mean the best combined traversal mechanics in any open world game ever?

"I don't love fetch quests":
I encountered like 6 actual fetch quests in 90 hours of playing this game.

"I don't love odd controls (namely the position of the jump button)"
You can change that specific position. But I guess reading a bit of menus is too cumbersome as well.

"and frustratingly stopping and starting fights because my weapons are as brittle as glass."

If your weapon acts like that it is probably made of wood, not glass or they are rusted. Maybe find better weapons or you know, use your bows, bombs, or the environment in general in combat. You might find out durability becomes a lot less of a problem then.
Or steal a whole camp's weapons at night while they sleep? I not once needed to stop a fight because I ran out of weapons. You not being able to think outside of "Run to people and smack them" is not the games fault.

You didn't see anything of the game. At all.

He says provocative things like that, because he likes to see people « whine » (that's an explanation he gave on a previous B- team effort post about Mario Kart 7). Don't bother. Mario Odyssey should be all about joy.

Oh I see. Good to know.

I've been on a bit of a media black out after Nintendo has been showing so much of the game. I felt similarly about Galaxy so I'm very hyped to read this tomorrow.
Its EDGE the most bias loving Nintendo mag in the UK and its been like that from day one.
I think Official Nintendo Magazine may have been kinder than Edge.

K-Gun

You played 3 hours of a game that most people got over 100 hours out of and your trying to act like your score means anything to anybody LOL

I played about 80 hours and wasn't a big fan of the game. It's probably best to stop playing something you're not enjoying than to sink a ton of hours into it. Should have stopped much earlier than I did, but I did enjoy the exploration quite a bit.

On topic, I'm really looking forward to this, and I hope Nintendo drops 3D Land and Galaxy on the Switch.

godofrawr

Banned
They gave BotW a 10, and I'd give it a 6.5 based on the 3 or so hours I played of it (I also have no desire to return to such a chore of a game).

So yeah, that doesn't mean anything to me.

Pls. Give me more input on games you've barely played.
How 'bout your thoughts on Witcher 3 after just the tutorial.
Maybe a Street Fighter review after a single match.

Thanks though, I cooked my lunch on your shitty hot take.

Mory Dunz

I know this is a joke post but we don't know that it's not 1080p. Digital Foundry reported 900p on the latest demo build, not the final build. The recent videos have looked a bit cleaner than the demo build footage so it might wind up being 1080p.

I'd be pretty surprised. 900 is fine for me though.

any game above 720 just makes me glare at Pokken more...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom