• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Odyssey - 10/10 from Edge

Status
Not open for further replies.

nny

EDGE 10/10 Games so far.

Super Mario 64 (1996)
Gran Turismo (1997)
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (1998)
Halo: Combat Evolved (2001)
Half-Life 2 (2004)
Halo 3 (2007)
The Orange Box (2007)
Super Mario Galaxy (2007)
Grand Theft Auto IV (2008)
LittleBigPlanet (2008)
Bayonetta (2009)
Super Mario Galaxy 2 (2010)
Rock Band 3 (2010)
The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword (2011)
The Last of Us (2013)
Grand Theft Auto V (2013)
Bayonetta 2 (2014)
Bloodborne (2015)
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (2017)
Super Mario Odyssey (2017)

1/5 of the list is Mario :)

WestEgg

Completely defeats the purpose of "game of the year". I would prefer outlets just picking one over the other.

If both games are legitimately of high enough quality, but for entirely different reasons, that picking between them becomes an arbitrary flip of the coin, I'd rather they just declare a tie.

phanphare

Banned
Didn’t they just give zelda a 10? Edge = biased Nintendo fanbois confirmed.

giphy.gif

Betty

Banned
I've been avoiding all spoilers and gameplay since E3 but I can feel this game is going to be an all time great.

Hylian7

Especially if there's a lower score and people come out with the "finally someone with the courage to speak the truth" retort.

It's going to be fun to watch. I'll get some popcorn :p

That, or it will be there "That person with the lower review score than everyone else is just clickbaiting!!!1!!111" like the reaction over the Jim Sterling Breath of the Wild review.

Turns out not everyone necessarily likes a game the same as everyone else. Big whoop.

guyssorry

Not surprised. 3D Mario games are probably the most consistently well-made games out there. They're all excellent.

Nevertheless, the Switch is having the best 1st year ever. Incredible.

Zia

GTA IV, Rock Band 3, SS and LBP are the only games that don’t belong on that list. Pretty good batting average for a 24-year old magazine.

Odyssey is going to be ridiculous.

Nintendo doesn't fuck around with their flagship Mario games

This is fact

That doesn't mean it isn't worth celebrating when they hit it out of the park again

balohna

If both games are legitimately of high enough quality, but for entirely different reasons, that picking between them becomes an arbitrary flip of the coin, I'd rather they just declare a tie.
Outlets should pick the one they personally enjoyed more or got more votes in their internal poll or whatever. It isn't an objective quality measure.

sjay1994

Mario games always score really high, but critics rarely ever award them with GOTY.

Hell wasn't Mario Galaxy 2 the highest reviewed game of 2010? But RDR and ME2 were the ones that seemed to walk away with the awards.

Zelda will prob win GOTY since there is this reverence for that series that I will never understand.

I'd be pleasantly surprised if Mario wins though. I had no doubt the game would be good. The trailers alone filled me with joy.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Cool, edge aligns with my view point most of the time. God damn nintendo went beast mode and it's only the first year.
If Nintendo can keep beast mode going for this console cycle then the switch will be the GOAT Nintendo produced machine.

Nostalgia will say other machines,maybe SNES or Wii or DS but I think the switch will take the crown.

I just hope sales go through the roof for this little wonderful machine

Soph

Just heard Slant will give it a 5/10 , Y'all getting your hopes up for nothing. Edge was always going to score this 10/10, being a Nintendo fansite and all. Their reviewers are starving for games, so with just two or three coming this christmas it's easy to overvalue SMO.

From the other thread:

Originally Posted by Majora

Also from the Edge review: there are nearly as many moons in Odyssey as there are Korok seeds in BOTW.

This is nuts right here
giphy.gif

OK I'm not totally convinced thats a good thing. Korok seeds were fun little distractions, but not the meat of the game. I hope the moons are all much more substantial. Also the korok seeds stop meaning anything after you have about half of them.

Neiteio

Just heard Slant will give it a 5/10 , Y'all getting your hopes up for nothing. Edge was always going to score this 10/10, being a Nintendo fansite and all. Their reviewers are starving for games, so with just two or three coming this christmas it's easy to overvalue SMO.
Hehehehehehe

AColdDay

It is crazy that Nintendo was able to engineer one of the greatest first party years for a console's launch. Couple that with the awesome indie support and a surprising amount of third party support and this is gotta be one of the best years for a Nintendo console in a long, long time.

Personally I really hope not. BOTW is the only game I've played this year I've actively disliked.

Odyssey looks real good though.
He wasnt saying the game was gon be the same.

As it stands though BOTW is my GOTY still and I still aint finished it. I haven’t felt that way about a game in a long time. Coming from a pure gameplay experience.

Aters

EDGE 10/10 Games so far.

Super Mario 64 (1996)
Gran Turismo (1997)
Half-Life 2 (2004)
Halo 3 (2007)
The Orange Box (2007)
LittleBigPlanet (2008)
Bayonetta (2009)
Rock Band 3 (2010)
The Last of Us (2013)
Bayonetta 2 (2014)
Bloodborne (2015)

This is a list I can agree with, good on Edge.

ffvorax

EDGE 10/10 Games so far.

Super Mario 64 (1996)
Gran Turismo (1997)
Half-Life 2 (2004)
Halo 3 (2007)
The Orange Box (2007)
LittleBigPlanet (2008)
Bayonetta (2009)
Rock Band 3 (2010)
The Last of Us (2013)
Bayonetta 2 (2014)
Bloodborne (2015)

7 Nintendo games in that list... do they like N games so much?

I agree with most of the list though. Well I would never give a 10 to anything personally...

It is crazy that Nintendo was able to engineer one of the greatest first party years for a console's launch. Couple that with the awesome indie support and a surprising amount of third party support and this is gotta be one of the best years for a Nintendo console in a long, long time.

I'd say the Switch has had the best launch year in the history of video games.

Excellent. It sounds silly to doubt a flagship Mario game, but I'm glad it seems to be as great as everyone hoped it would be. Perhaps even better. I'm still not tempted to buy a Switch just yet, but it looks like there will be plenty of great games waiting for me when I finally take the plunge.

That's what everyone will say but in the end, Zelda will take home most of the awards. Not to the extent that something like TLOU did, where it took home the greatest percentage of GOTY awards, but the final tally will show a clear "winner".

I don't know about that...
Skyward Sword lost to Skyrim, Portal 2, Arkham City and U3.
Galaxy 2 lost to RDR and ME2
Galaxy slightly lost to Bioshock by 2 GOTYs.
Twilight Princess lost to Gears and Oblivion

Source: https://gotypicks.blogspot.com

Odyssey will take the lead, and Zelda will most like follow in 2nd or 3rd place.
I could see Nintendo themselves winning overall GOTYs with the combination of Odyssey and Zelda. So in a way, its a win-win either way.

Crazyorloco

If Nintendo can keep beast mode going for this console cycle then the switch will be the GOAT Nintendo produced machine.

Nostalgia will say other machines,maybe SNES or Wii or DS but I think the switch will take the crown.

I just hope sales go through the roof for this little wonderful machine

Yeah, and just think we don't have have pokemon, metroid, and a real fire emblem game yet.

I get a feeling we're getting GTA on this system too. This is on course to being the best Nintendo system and we're less than a year in its life.

Here's a crazy thought...what if Nintendo made some of the best games?

right lol they're only one of the best gaming developers in the world.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom