• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Odyssey |OT| RSVP: Guests of the Groom

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Where's the multimoon that was once frozen in the desert? I returned when the place has defrosted but I can't find it in its original spot!

Steenbock

Neo Member
Does anyone have issues with unresponsive inputs on the joycons? Even if I am not blocking anything I’m getting this issue..

Are you sitting upright while playing? I was having issues with the motion based controls earlier, but I was laying in my recliner while playing. As soon as I sat upright, the problems went away. Going to take a while to get used to not lounging while playing a game, but the extra moves are too much fun to pass up.

Shifty

Where's the multimoon that was once frozen in the desert? I returned when the place has defrosted but I can't find it in its original spot!

I think maybe that was
foreshadowing for the Knucklotec fight under the pyramid

Oh man, the post game kingdom. You are too good.

Gatdamn. The excitement.

Yeah, I think it's a good OP. I do know my 4 year old would have a blast watching me play and even playing a bit himself.

He still struggles with Mario games, but is surprisingly really damn good at Sonic Mania. He can get about halfway through the game. I do have to help when Sonic is under water though. Lol.

I can only imagine the wonder this game would inspire in a kid. Mario 64 was pure magic to me back in the day.

I'm playing Shadow of War, have nearly completed Act 2 with roughly 30 hours on the clock.

Whoof, that sounds like a time vacuum if you're shooting for the true ending! Good luck :p

Was going to wait till payday but the hype train got me! Downloading now. Haven't played a Mario game since Mario 64. I mainly stick to rpgs and fps. Definitely looks like I will enjoy it though. Hyped!

This game might be the most pure fun I've had with a game in so long. I love it. Thank you Nintendo!

The movement mechanics are absolutely the best in the business.

NA48

Neo Member
I dunno. I bought it digital and I'm kinda regretting it. I hate the person that I've become where I can't enjoy this game like I did 64 and Sunshine. I just got old I guess. Fair game to those of you that are enjoying it. I'm super envious of you all right now.

Why not? What seems off, or what were you expecting? Just curious.

Xenoblade

Why not? What seems off, or what were you expecting? Just curious.

Nothing really wrong with the game. Functionally, it's right on the money. Personally I'm not feeling the hat throw mechanic, but that's just my own problem. When I'm running, every fibre of my being wants to hit 'Y' to dive, but it throws the hat instead.

The problem is me. Collecting things in a 3D world just isn't my jam anymore I guess. This is the second time now, following Yooka-Laylee. I thought Mario would be different because it's Mario, but no dice. It sux.

piratethingy

Self professed bad raider
Yeah the SM64 vibes are strong in this one. Then again I also get Galaxy feels from it too.

Can't believe how slow this thread is moving. RIP GAF.

Seven fucking minutes between your post and the last on launch day for this game is just so insane. The silence is deafening!

RPGCrazied

Can't play it today because I get the Switch today and will be putting a tampered glass screen on it and want to let it set for awhile.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Gaaah! I have the day off but gamestop doesn't open for 2 more hours. Just sitting here drinking coffee waiting.

You think that's bad, try living somewhere where this game isn't be carried locally and the major online retailers can't give you "release day delivery". My copy will be here next Wednesday which sucks because it sounds like everyone is loving this game.

It's enough to almost make me want to trust Nintendo with an eShop purchase. Almost.

Saiyan-Rox

Just started playing and what's with all the motion control tutorials and the long ass loading screen showing using the joycons not connected to the console? It's like they don't want me to play handheld :O

Does anyone know what you're supposed to do with the hint pictures? I've found two of the locations now but I don't know what the game actually wants me to do when I get there.

Are you sitting upright while playing? I was having issues with the motion based controls earlier, but I was laying in my recliner while playing. As soon as I sat upright, the problems went away. Going to take a while to get used to not lounging while playing a game, but the extra moves are too much fun to pass up.

Thanks for the tip. I’m pretty sure that’s it..I lay back in my couch a lot. Sitting up will be good for my posture anyway :)

chekhonte

You think that's bad, try living somewhere where this game isn't be carried locally and the major online retailers can't give you "release day delivery". My copy will be here next Wednesday which sucks because it sounds like everyone is loving this game.

It's enough to almost make me want to trust Nintendo with an eShop purchase. Almost.

ya, that's brutal. Keep your chin up.

Keihart

Just started playing and what's with all the motion control tutorials and the long ass loading screen showing using the joycons not connected to the console? It's like they don't want me to play handheld :O

I almost didn't see tutorials for movements until the odisey, that said, i've discovered that most motion control moves work on handheld although most of them are optional.

Until now, the only ones i can't do without some motion is changing the hat throw direction mid air and the vertical hat throws, the rest can be done with the stick + buttons. But as i said, you can just shake the whole console on handheld mode and do the motion control exclusive movements too.

Picked it up at midnight last night, put in a good hour or so in docked mode with the pro controller and it was magical. Had to catch an early morning train today and put in another 2 hours there, and the fact that this system goes from docked to fully portable so seamlessly never seems to lose its luster. Cannot believe I can just take this game with me wherever, but here we are.

Just did the New Donk Festival level, oh man this game with the music too.

Time for a break and some Stranger Things 2, man this weekend and the releases. Nuts i tell ya.

Does anyone have issues with unresponsive inputs on the joycons? Even if I am not blocking anything I’m getting this issue..
So I’ve only had issues in one Kindom so far. It was fine when I started the game. Might see how it acts on the next kingdom to see if it’s really the controller or the game.
Gonna call Nintendo and go ahead and probably send them in for repair. Glad I have a pro controller now.

One of the problems with going in blind is not knowing the game was going to be plagued with motion controls. It's ruining the experience for me (that and the awful camera)

Apart from the awful controls though everything else feels great, although I really miss a hub world and the charm of peaches castle and delfino plaza, with them being their own world's in their own right.

The game looks great, although the switch is really showing its a generation behind in terms of graphics, even more noticeable than with Zelda.

I'm guessing im not really far enough in to see why this is the GOAT Mario game, but I'm really happy to see they've gone back to the 64/sunshine style and I've not put the game down since it finally arrived.

One of the problems with going in blind is not knowing the game was going to be plagued with motion controls. It's ruining the experience for me (that and the awful camera)

Apart from the awful controls though everything else feels great, although I really miss a hub world and the charm of peaches castle and delfino plaza, with them being their own world's in their own right.

The game looks great, although the switch is really showing its a generation behind in terms of graphics, even more noticeable than with Zelda.

I'm guessing im not really far enough in to see why this is the GOAT Mario game, but I'm really happy to see they've gone back to the 64/sunshine style and I've not put the game down since it finally arrived.
How much of this can be alleviated by turning off motion controls?

Plagued with motion controls? Care to elaborate? I've played a couple hours and it doesn't seem anywhere close to necessary.

Just got back from picking my copy up at Best Buy, and the pick up area behind the desk had a bunch of copies waiting for people to pick them up.

They are also giving out some nice little extras with it, a poster and a Cappy collector's coin.

K0DJm4Kl.jpg

6tf1m9rl.jpg

69w00bWl.jpg

Okay, time for me to start playing!

Plagued with motion controls? Care to elaborate? I've played a couple hours and it doesn't seem anywhere close to necessary.

Hat spin move tied to shaking the controller, some animal controls tied to shaking controller
super jump on frog
hat uppercut, throw things further with shaking, homing cap throw.

Okay not so much "motion controls" more having to shake the controller to achieve basic actions. Playing with a pro controller it's really jarring.

How much of this can be alleviated by turning off motion controls?

As far as I can tell turning motion controls off hasn't changed anything, not sure what turning it off was supposed to do, but I'm still having to shake the controller to do spin moves.

I will say though I've not found any of these moves necessary for a moon yet, but I'm only a couple hours in. I find the hat aoe spin really useful so having to keep shaking my controller reminds me of playing twilight princess on the Wii again.

Game is amazing as expected.

It seems like Nintendo basically blew their load all over 2017. Two all time masterpieces within a 6-month window. Just hope the refractory period isn't too long.

The1Ski

Was going to wait till payday but the hype train got me! Downloading now. Haven't played a Mario game since Mario 64. I mainly stick to rpgs and fps. Definitely looks like I will enjoy it though. Hyped!

No recent Mario games, you stick to RPGs and shooters... But you bought a switch!?

Hat spin move tied to shaking the controller, some animal controls tied to shaking controller
super jump on frog

Okay not so much "motion controls" more having to shake the controller to achieve basic actions. Playing with a pro controller it's really jarring.

As far as I can tell turning motion controls off hasn't changed anything, not sure what turning it off was supposed to do, but I'm still having to shake the controller to do spin moves.

I will say though I've not found any of these moves necessary for a moon yet, but I'm only a couple hours in. I find the hat aoe spin really useful so having to keep shaking my controller reminds me of playing twilight princess on the Wii again.
Cool thanks for the heads up, the motion controls seem to be a really polarizing issue

super jump on frog

I guess I'm just saying that outside of some very specific use cases, it doesn't feel necessary at all. The hat spin move, for example looks cool but isn't really necessary for anything in the game.

Saying it's "plagued" just seems a little extreme from my experience.

use Jaxi, run him parallel to the cliff and hit the cactus. If you knock the cactus off the cliff you can’t get the moon.

Oh great, thanks!
I went back last night after discovering Jaxi, but when I hit the cactus, I didn't see a moon. Must have fallen off.

Top Bottom