• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Odyssey trailer (October 27th)

Neiteio

They're really emphasizing on Treehouse today that everything they've shown in each kingdom at E3 is just "a very small portion," "a narrow sliver" of all there is in each kingdom. This again makes me lean toward there being fewer kingdoms, but the kingdoms are VAST and DENSE.

Kinsei

Banned
They're really emphasizing on Treehouse today that everything they've shown in each kingdom at E3 is just "a very small portion," "a narrow sliver" of all there is in each kingdom. This again makes me lean toward there being fewer kingdoms, but the kingdoms are VAST and DENSE.

I figured that was a given. I remember everyone thought they were showing too much of Zelda last year and look how that turned out. Nintendo seems to know not to spoil too much when it comes to adventure games.

Neiteio

I figured that was a given. I remember everyone thought they were showing too much of Zelda last year and look how that turned out. Nintendo seems to know not to spoil too much when it comes to adventure games.
Yeah, that's true, Zelda turned out to be absolutely massive. Even the Great Plateau still had secrets despite the countless hours spent there in the Treehouse.

On Treehouse, the director also just said that there are "many, many more things" we'll be able to control, beyond what we've seen at E3. And he repeated, again, that the true scope of each game world is far beyond what's shown at E3.

I'm excited. I love everything they've shown.

RagnarokX

I answered this in my compilation post for the Moons shown so far in Tostarena
but with a new camera angle they used it shows there's a second moon higher up there!
Did you also find out what's in here?
MjXvrhnm.jpg

That would be inside the pyramid at night, no?

No, you fight this boss inside the cavern under the ruins:
gOyrlv6.jpg

Did you also find out what's in here?
MjXvrhnm.jpg

Sorry, no! I would have checked if I got a chance to play, but I'm just compiling footage from different places. I highlighted on the big post that you were the one to raise the possibility that something's there.

No, you fight this boss inside the cavern under the ruins:
gOyrlv6.jpg

Oh, wow, so the Ice Cavern is even more expansive than it looks like AND the Inverted Pyramid at Night will be something completely different? God these kingdoms are huge.

Also, on this latest treehouse segment, you could tell they were itching to go up here in the Wooded Kingdom haha.
http://imgur.com/a/1sof9

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup

I just watched the entire first treehouse section and they said there that the amount of moons required to progress is just a small percentage of what is avaible. They kept pressing that the game was huge, so I'll take them at their word for it. I don't want it be too big either tbh, the 120 standard in 64/Galaxy/etc feels pretty ideal.

Moved on to watch some of the wooden kingdom vid, but I don't to see too much yet so I'll leave it there. If there are short segments in other worlds that are must watchs I'd love to hear it though.

Together with the Rabbids game, Mario really claimed this E3. My two games of the show.

TZchassis

Treehouse spoiled too much imo (compared to last year's BOTW demonstration). One of the guys kept detailing everything about the different kingdoms, missions, what happens when you finish the main missions in the different kingdom.

Can't stop myself from watching though.

RagnarokX

Nice, the director just confirmed that the Wooded Kingdom is actually a giant greenhouse that's growing the flowers that will be used in Bowser's wedding ceremony. And he added that every kingdom in the game will be tied to the wedding in some way. We also know that the Sand Kingdom's Inverted Pyramid houses a legendary wedding ring; legends say that two people united by the ring are impossible to separate, even if the world turns upside-down. Harriet of the Broodals is looking for the ring in the Sand Kingdom.

They also just possessed a Fire Bro in the Wooded Kingdom, throwing bouncing fireballs everywhere. Also, the Fire Bros can't walk — they can only hop, similar to how they move in the other games.

It's a lush forest surrounded by a glass dome sitting in the middle of a frozen wasteland. Seemed pretty obvious.

It seems likely that Bowser kidnapped musicians from New Donk City.

I imagine he attacks Luncheon Kingdom for wedding cake, food, and/or champagne. If you look at the map the southern part of the kingdom looks like a champagne bottle shooting champagne:
of0ciae.jpg

And the bubbling pink "lava" reminds me of champagne.

Cap Kingdom for wedding clothes.

Neiteio

It's a lush forest surrounded by a glass dome sitting in the middle of a frozen wasteland. Seemed pretty obvious.
The part of my sentence you didn't bold was the non-obvious part: namely, Bowser is looting it for wedding flowers.

At any rate, I wonder what wedding-related stuff Bowser will get out of the Cascade Kingdom?

RagnarokX

The part of my sentence you didn't bold was the non-obvious part: namely, Bowser is looting it for wedding flowers.

At any rate, I wonder what wedding-related stuff Bowser will get out of the Cascade Kingdom?

The NPCs at the starting point tell you he stole flowers. And there's a sphinx who asks you what Bowser stole and you have to answer correctly to open more of the world.

I can't think of what Cascade Kingdom has for the wedding. A veil? Maybe that's where the crown Peach is wearing came from? (From the Atlantis place).
WYYGYnJ.jpg

Neiteio

The NPCs at the starting point tell you he stole flowers. And there's a sphinx who asks you what Bowser stole and you have to answer correctly to open more of the world.
I didn't see that. But it sounded like you were saying it was obvious (as in, from the first trailer) that it was a greenhouse where Bowser would go for wedding flowers. Apologies if I mistook your tone!

Yeah, I'm starting to think this game will have fewer levels (Kingdoms) than something like Mario 64, but it's not going to matter, because each one is huge, varied, and packed full of content.

RagnarokX

I didn't see that. But it sounded like you were saying it was obvious (as in, from the first trailer) that it was a greenhouse where Bowser would go for wedding flowers. Apologies if I mistook your tone!

Well it was obvious that it was a greenhouse, but the treehouse guy who asked the question thought it was some kind of sci-fi virtual display screen :p

It wasn't clear what Bowser was doing to the kingdoms until the stuff about the wedding ring and and flowers. Though I wonder where the ice came from in Tostarena.

Monocle

This is why I love Nintendo. It's so fun to be surprised by their inventive and quirky ideas year after year. No wonder Mario is still going strong. I'm thoroughly impressed by the creative diversity I'm seeing in this game. Wonderful stuff.

Tom_Cody

Okay so the demo is at there too (I'm in London so none for me).

Is the demo time restricted to 10 minutes (programmed) or the Nintendo reps move you on after 10 minutes?

Do you think that Nintendo will release the demo on the eShop?
Yes, timed for 10 minutes.

I doubt this demo will get released on the eShop.

ciD_Vain

Just finished playing the demo. The wait was only an hour today. I was able to reach the boss in the desert level but it timed out before I could defeat it! The game is still joy to play.

psychotron

I can't believe what I'm seeing in these videos. The game looks absolutely incredible. So many innovative ideas and it looks great graphically too. I can't wait so long for it!

This thread is FULL of spoilers. I didn't wanted to hear about the secret of the wooded kingdom, nor the boss battle underground the ruins. Why are we not spoiler tagging this?!?

Because it's the topic discussing E3 stuff, spoilers aee kinda logical here.

Technically this is the one about the trailer, but I don't think there's enough treehouse info to make a new individual thread about it. I spoilered most of what I posted but didn't think to do it for boss discussion since it appeared in the trailer, my bad.

Neiteio

I just adore the world-building in this game, in particular the way it's articulating spatial relations, with a town or city within each larger region:

- Bonneton, in the Cap Kingdom
- New Donk City, in the Metro Kingdom
- Tostarena, in the Sand Kingdom
- Steam Gardens, in the Wooded Kingdom
- Mount Volbono, in the Luncheon Kingdom
- Fossil Falls, in the Cascade Kingdom

And then within each of those locations, you have many named places identified by their checkpoint flags (which also appears to allow for fast travel via the map).

Details like Pauline being the mayor of New Donk City, or the lion-like Jaxis as the main means of transport in Tostarena, are also great. So is lore like the legendary wedding ring that forever unites two people, hidden near the Inverted Pyramid of Tostarena — a pyramid that also serves as the imagery for the region's currency. The travel brochures on the map screen are another welcome touch... Anyone have any high-res images of the ones they've shown so far?

I just really appreciate this approach, similar to Isle Delfino in Sunshine or pretty much every track in Mario Kart 8, where each place feels authentic with its own distinct inhabitants and way of life. I can't wait to learn the official name of the fork people who live on Mount Volbono, or to meet the denizens (if there are any) of the Cascade Kingdom.

Crayolan

Alright kids.

THE VIDEO IS UP!

10 glorious minutes of Mario Odyssey parkour and ninja-like movement.

I tried to address everything in the commentary of the video. Let me know on here if you have any questions.

Happy to see the spin jump, long jump, and dive all back together in a single game. Looks like Mario accelerates pretty quickly too.

Neiteio

Bowser might need to kidnap a bridesmaid.
This would be the greatest thing.

(Note: I am not endorsing kidnapping. Rather, I am advocating an appearance by Best Girl Daisy.)

((Although Pauline might be best girl now because that vocal theme is JAZZIN'))

You know what sold me on this game more than anything else I've seen so far?

When the Treehouse demonstrator jumped off the side of one of the maps, and some totally unexpected shit occurs immediately thereafter.

THIS SHIT RIGHT HERE
is Super Mario 64 as fuck. When I saw this, it took me right back to when I was a kid, jumping through that suspicious basement wall and finding myself in a Shifting Sand Land.
Honestly, don't watch it if you don't wanna spoil yourself on a moment that's on par with discovering Shifty Sand Lands, jumping into Big Boo's Haunt, and draining the moat in Super Mario 64.
Just know that this game is bringing that shit.

I hope this game is chock full of this kind of thing.
Dammit. You warned me and I should've listened.

RagnarokX

So I was looking at the globe outside of the Odyssey and it is indeed the same as map artwork except...

of0ciae.jpg

PRSlXEH.png

• They're mirrors of each other.
  • We can see on the globe that the island south of Metro Kingdom is indeed supposed to look like a champagne bottle, but the islands representing the champagne spraying out are missing.
  • The west side of Luncheon Kingdom on the globe is very different from the map version. It's broken up into many islands.
  • The continent that looks like it's made of snowflakes has quite a bit of green to it. Looks more like tundra. Also unlike the map version, it appears to be broken up into multiple islands.
  • Not pictured in my screenshot, the circular island between Luncheon Kingdom and Cap Kingdom is green.

of0ciae.jpg

And the bubbling pink "lava" reminds me of champagne.

Cap Kingdom for wedding clothes.
If every land mass ends up being an explorable kingdom in the game; I could see there being 4-6 more kingdoms.
Yeah they showed that the area below the raised section of the wooded kingdom is also explorable which makes me think the everything inside the dome is explorable. Likewise, I believe it was shown that New Donk City is on a Skyscraper in a larger city. Curious if you can jump off the edge and explore too. I'm thinking the Kingdoms effectively replace the worlds from Galaxy and the 3D World series. I'm hoping they haven't revealled all kingdoms yet, I'd like to see a few more at least. I could see them having two unrevealed kingdoms for the final game bringing the total to 8 worlds. Then having 2 DLC packs containing 2 more world's in it. Which would bring the final total to 12 worlds including DLC. The Desert world looks the most interesting and varied of the bunch for me with a lot of different, varied and creative locations blending Latin American, Egyptian, Desert and Tundra themes together into one world.

Deep lore theory that came to me after realizing the Donkey Kong 25M theme was worked into "1-up girl" It's packed with self references.

So Odyssey has Mario traveling the globe, but that wasn't the first time that was considered. It was never officially released, but...

"Oh, we can zoom all the way to the moon,
From this great wide wacky world,"

Wacky Worlds

Yeah, probably unlikely. I just find the word "wacky" a bit forced and thought it made for a fun connection

Top Bottom