• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Odyssey trailer (October 27th)

doop_

Banned
Looks like the mushroom kingdom might be that island near the cap and cascade island?

Ooh nice potential find, it does look a bit like a sliced mushroom. It also makes sense that it would be isolated from all the other kingdoms and that would be the closest to Cap which seems to be the first kingdom in the game.

Lunch is thought to be a shortened form of the word Luncheon from middle English. Although nowadays a Luncheon may be organised as a formal midday meal. It's not a combined word.

In the original trailer the kingdom has some kind of ancient Roman/Greek architecture going on so the "eon" in the name might also be a reference to the Pantheon in Rome.

Just to be clear- when we're talking about the Metro Kingdom, are we saying that New Donk City is the whole or it, or that there will be other levels and locations to explore within it?

If we're talking about New Donk City being a portion of a sixth of the game, that'll probably be fine, but if we're talking about it being a sixth of the game in and of itself, that'll be a tremendously disappointing amount of content; it looks fun and dense in its own right, but I'd want a dozen or more levels of that scope.

tanooki27

DCc09y5VwAAwJ2g.jpg

few things are as perfect as this

Aldric

Just to be clear- when we're talking about the Metro Kingdom, are we saying that New Donk City is the whole or it, or that there will be other levels and locations to explore within it?

If we're talking about New Donk City being a portion of a sixth of the game, that'll probably be fine, but if we're talking about it being a sixth of the game in and of itself, that'll be a tremendously disappointing amount of content; it looks fun and dense in its own right, but I'd want a dozen or more levels of that scope.

My interpretation is that there's multiple levels in each kingdom. The fact the levels we've seen have secondary names implies it. So New Donk City is only one part of Metro Kingdom and there might be a few other city themed levels outside of it, like a subway one for ex.

My interpretation is that there's multiple levels in each kingdom. The fact the levels we've seen have secondary names implies it. So New Donk City is only one part of Metro Kingdom and there might be a few other city themed levels outside of it, like a subway one for ex.
I certainly hope so.

The fact that the Treehouse saw more than half of the Wooded Kingdom's purple coins in half an hour is giving me BAD vibes.

I would not hold my breath for being several locations in each kingdom. If anything, I think there will be some more kingdoms that they haven't shown yet like the snowflake continent, some of the nude islands of the globe, the suspicious moon or a possible Mushroom Kingdom incursion. But not much more.

Let's not forget that while EAD Tokyo doesn't usually make short games, they do not make long games either. Both Super Mario Galaxys are big but not huge, and 3D Land, Captain Toad and 3D World are 5-10 hours games (specially if we don't count comets and recycled levels).

Personally I think reaching the ammount of 10 kingdoms like the ones showed would be perfect.

Let's not forget that while EAD Tokyo doesn't usually make short games, they do not make long games either. Both Super Mario Galaxys are big but not huge, and 3D Land, Captain Toad and 3D World are 5-10 hours games (specially if we don't count comets and recycled levels).
This is true if you made a beeline for the exit every single time, which is honestly fair enough for the obstacle course level designs that the Galaxies and the 3D games offer. , but doesn't take the sheer wealth of content those games have fully into account- I don't know anyone at all who played Galaxy or 3D Workd and put it down after 5 hours. They've also repeatedly played up the open, sandbox nature of this game- 5-10 hours for a game of this type would be incredibly short. I should certainly hope it's a longer game than Captain Toad, frankly.

10 New Donk Cities would be better than the six mooted upthread, but would frankly still be a little thin. That'd probably be the least content that any 3D Mario has ever offered, all told- a comparable amount of levels to Sunshine, but Sunshine radically reconfigured its levels in between Shines in a way that Odyssey doesn't seem to.

I would not hold my breath for being several locations in each kingdom. If anything, I think there will be some more kingdoms that they haven't shown yet like the snowflake continent, some of the nude islands of the globe, the suspicious moon or a possible Mushroom Kingdom incursion. But not much more.

Personally I think reaching the ammount of 10 kingdoms like the ones showed would be perfect.

3D World and the two Galaxy games are packed full of content. Captain Toad is a budget title and 3D Land is a game specifically designed for portable play. Odyssey is the next mainline 3D Mario title and will be a huge experience. I have absolutely no doubt that it'll be a game bursting with things to do.

RagnarokX

In the original trailer the kingdom has some kind of ancient Roman/Greek architecture going on so the "eon" in the name might also be a reference to the Pantheon in Rome.

That's a stretch. Luncheon is just a word on its own. It doesn't contain enough of the other word to be a reference and luncheon isn't pronounced like Pantheon; lun-chun or lun-chen. And all the other kingdoms have straightforward names. I am getting a Mount Vesuvius/Pompeii vibe, but they went with Mount Volbono.

Neiteio

Sand Kingdom - Wedding ring
Wooded Kingdom - Flowers
Cap Kingdom - Wedding outfits (Speculation)
Metro Kingdom - Musicians
Cascade Kingdom - No idea
Luncheon Kingdom (amalgam of the words lunch and pantheon) - Catering for the wedding (Speculation)
Moon (Speculation) - Location of the Wedding (Speculation)

The Nintendo minute video confirmed that the Mushroom Kingdom is on the same "earth" as all the other kingdoms in the game.
"Luncheon" is a real word, used today. Typically a midday banquet. Used frequently in award ceremonies and business meetings.

Neiteio

That's a stretch. Luncheon is just a word on its own. It doesn't contain enough of the other word to be a reference and luncheon isn't pronounced like Pantheon; lun-chun or lun-chen. And all the other kingdoms have straightforward names. I am getting a Mount Vesuvius/Pompeii vibe, but they went with Mount Volbono.
Yeah, I think they're going for a Pompeii theming, judging by the Greco-Roman ruins you can see in some screenshots, and of course the presence of a volcano. I have to say, this is one of the most interesting "lava" worlds I've seen in videogames.

RagnarokX

I figured out what Mt. Volbono means.

Volbo means vault (jump) in Esperanto. It's used in the Esperanto word volbopato which means wok (asian round-bottomed cooking pan. And obviously it's combined with Volcano.

NMKsUUX.jpg

Mount Volbono is a volcano with a cooking pot on top. Not exactly a wok, but volbopato is the closest word to volcano for a pun. Plus it works on another level since volbo means vault and Mario does a lot of vaulting.

Neiteio

I figured out what Mt. Volbono means.

Volbo means vault (jump) in Esperanto. It's used in the Esperanto word volbopato which means wok (asian round-bottomed cooking pan. And obviously it's combined with Volcano.

NMKsUUX.jpg

Mount Volbono is a volcano with a cooking pot on top. Not exactly a wok, but volbopato is the closest word to volcano for a pun. Plus it works on another level since volbo means vault and Mario does a lot of vaulting.
The volcano itself would seem like an allusion to popping champagne bottles, if not for the pot on top. Whatever the intended imagery may be, it sure looks cool. I like how the bright pastel colors and highly stylized low-poly look contrasts with the photorealism of New Donk City. Crazy they share the same continent.

RagnarokX

The volcano itself would seem like an allusion to popping champagne bottles, if not for the pot on top. Whatever the intended imagery may be, it sure looks cool. I like how the bright pastel colors and highly stylized low-poly look contrasts with the photorealism of New Donk City. Crazy they share the same continent.

Yes, the pink "lava" reminds me of champagne, and there's a landmass south of the main continent shaped like a champagne bottle shooting champagne.

Joqu

It's got that Koji Kondo flavor and it sounds like an orchestration of what a city level would have sounded like in Super Mario 64

Yeah, it really does sound like a Koji Kondo track. I wonder if it is, I know he's been in more of a supervising role these days but he still contributed a track in 3D World didn't he? I can't remember what it was...

sanstesy

Yeah, it really does sound like a Koji Kondo track. I wonder if it is, I know he's been in more of a supervising role these days but he still contributed a track in 3D World didn't he? I can't remember what it was...

He just recently did the whole soundtrack for Super Mario Maker. Almost all remixes of existing tracks of course but it doesn't seem that he ever will stop composing completely.

I'm sure he contributed tracks to Odyssey as he does with every 3D Mario game.

RagnarokX

Oh, wow! Good eye. I kept looking at the main continent that Luncheon and Metro share, thinking you guys were saying Luncheon was the champagne, which would make Metro the bottle. I didn't see that peninsula there. Nice!

3CA43MH.png

It's also prevalent on the map in the logo, but the neck of the bottle is facing more north and into the big bay between Metro and Luncheon while the archepelego representing the champagne bursting out didn't move.

Adding to the confusion, the in-game globe on the Odyssey is mirrored:
PRSlXEH.png

Metro is east and luncheon is west.
However, the map on the carpet inside the Oddysey is the same as the map artwork we have.

Joqu

He just recently did the whole soundtrack for Super Mario Maker. Almost all remixes of existing tracks of course but it doesn't seem that he ever will stop composing completely.

I'm sure he contributed tracks to Odyssey as he does with every 3D Mario game.

Oh man, I never realized Mario Maker was all his work. Neat. I loved those remixes the instant I heard them.

KiN0

There will be more of them as the official Twitter account confirmed that there are still much more to be revealed.
Even better! The themes for each kingdom are pretty broad, so there's a lot of room for variety in the locales.

That being said, I also fear that each kingdom is basically one level.

RagnarokX

Highlighting the shapes that can be made out on the map:

hDTdJZT.jpg

I think each kingdom will be like the domes from galaxy; and levels like new donk city will be the galaxies.

The way I see it the "hub" will be the Odyssey. Likely you go to the globe on the ship and choose your destination from there.

Locations like New Donk City, Tostarena, and Steam Gardens act as Mario 64-style worlds where you can find moons by exploring and completing adventure-style objectives. Within each of these locations are doors that warp you to sub-areas that act as more focused mini levels. I imagine each Kingdom will only have 1 of these big open worlds.

Neiteio

The way I see it the "hub" will be the Odyssey. Likely you go to the globe on the ship and choose your destination from there.

Locations like New Donk City, Tostarena, and Steam Gardens act as Mario 64-style worlds where you can find moons by exploring and completing adventure-style objectives. Within each of these locations are doors that warp you to sub-areas that act as more focused mini levels. I imagine each Kingdom will only have 1 of these big open worlds.
This is what I'm currently expecting. One named world per kingdom. The reason why the worlds have a name separate from their host kingdom is just because it's nice world-building detail, much like the named sub-locations within each world (each checkpoint flag has a name for its area), and also seen in the detailed travel brochures describing points of interest in each world on the map screen. They want you to feel like you're a tourist in an actual place.

These worlds are massive and jam-packed with stuff to see and do, and Treehouse Live confirmed that each world has variations, like the night/day and frozen/unfrozen states in Tostarena. Treehouse also hinted that there is an absolutely massive number of moons to collect; only a fraction are needed to complete the story, but it sounds like getting 100% in this game will take more time and effort than past 3D Marios.

The way they kept emphasizing this point makes me wonder if we'll be looking at something absurd like the korok seeds in BotW... 900 moons??

Top Bottom