• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Run 10M+ downloads Day 1, over $4M revenue, biggest Appstore launch ever.

Percentage buy rates are sorta a misnomer as that doesn't actually tell you what they spent money on, how much, and how many times.
We have that data
From 2014 - http://www.recode.net/2014/4/9/11625416/most-mobile-game-players-quit-after-one-day-exclusive
From 2015/2016 - https://www.swrve.com/landing/swrve...&utm_campaign=monetization_report_2016_032316
Of the 0.19 percent who are spending money, very few of these are doing it often; 64 percent are making just one paid in-game purchase per month, while it’s just 6.5 percent making five or more paid in-game purchases, with the average spend per player being $24.33

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
The study break down how much people spend, how many IAP they purchase, and how often

I know that study does.

I mean in this thread or in the media or message boards when people just quote the one IAP % number.

I'm not sure I'm making a lot of sense typing this all lol

Minecraft is an outlier to a degree. It's more successful than 99% of the games ever released.

Granted I fully expect sales on this over time which will definitely give it a healthy bump. I dislike the Minecraft comparison though.

Looking at the UK top selling, the following games have been regularly featured in the top 50 since their release:

Minecraft
Bloons TD 5
Geometry Dash
Plague Inc
Monument Valley

Some of those games are over 5 years old, and I'd say the branding power of Mario is far greater than any one of them, potentially all of them out together.

Now, I could be wrong, but I'd expect Mario's sales to continue for quite a while. Also expect a heavy Apple push at Christmas, as the App Store also experiences a Christmas sales rush much like regular retail stores.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Looking at the UK top selling, the following games have been regularly featured in the top 50 since their release:

Minecraft
Bloons TD 5
Geometry Dash
Plague Inc
Monument Valley

Some of those games are over 5 years old, and I'd say the branding power of Mario is far greater than any one of them, potentially all of them out together.

Now, I could be wrong, but I'd expect Mario's sales to continue for quite a while. Also expect a heavy Apple push at Christmas, as the App Store also experiences a Christmas sales rush much like regular retail stores.

Mario Run will be in the charts for years and Nintendo will continue to add new features and content. This thread will be interesting to revisit a couple of months from now....

jman2050

Minecraft is an outlier to a degree. It's more successful than 99% of the games ever released.

Granted I fully expect sales on this over time which will definitely give it a healthy bump. I dislike the Minecraft comparison though.

But why though? Minecraft is an extreme outlier yea, but so is Mario.

Mario Run will be in the charts for years and Nintendo will continue to add new features and content. This thread will be interesting to revisit a couple of months from now....

The only way I can see it disappearing is if the decision for it to be in-app purchased turns out to be the wrong choice. My comparison to the paid games could be criticised for that, as they have a very obvious Up-front cost, whereas with Mario the cost is more hidden (not necessarily Nintendo's fault, the App Store isn't really good at showing this). A lot of "uninformed" players may turn their nose up at such an expensive and "sudden" IAP.

Hermii

I mean its probably gone up from the 4 million in revenue but

4 mill / 10 = 400k purchases

400k / 10 mill = 4% buy rate

So at best we're look at 5-10% buy rate of downloads to purchases

There is actually a good deal of free content if you are trying to get all the green coins in the free levels and you can play toad rally. Some of the people who downloaded the app may play it for a while before they decide to buy.

I hope there's a Switch version down the line which you can play without the joycons. Heck even a 3DS version that uses nothing but stylus. It'll do gangbuster numbers at $10, and with glowing reviews to boot.

Bought the game and i really like it. No ads and shit thrown in your face or cool down timers if you die pressuring to buy more lives and shit.

It's just a simple quality game. I despise mobile games too, but i can get down with nintendo games on mobile if they're bringing this level of quality

AzaK

What will be interesting to see is it's legs. Once the Nintendo fans have all bought it (They obviously will) is there enough value for the average person to pay $10? There's not even enough there for me to pay $10.

I was watching the twitch tv weekly show yesterday and even the dude who runs twitch said he would prefer an energy bar and payment to refill it over paying to unlock levels...what???

Leo Laporte is pretty out of touch and has gotten his fair share of criticism for being wrong (a lot).

No that in itself is good, but when only 4% of those that downloaded it actually bought it, I'd say that's fairly disappointing.

Anyone selling a game on mobile marketplaces needs to expect the 1-2% only pay money everyone else is using it free approach, nintendo know that i'm sure.

But why though? Minecraft is an extreme outlier yea, but so is Mario.
Because Minecraft functions as more of an investment given its technically limitless replay value. Mario has a set number of stages and content, with even less to do if you don't consider replaying levels for coins as compelling gameplay.

People will invest $7 so their kids on their iPads can be happy for years. Not so sure if those people will buy those same kids Super Mario Run for $3 more only for them to stop playing it in a day or two.

I don't see any reason to suspect Super Mario Run is going to fall off a cliff sales wise. NSMB2 and Mario Kart 7 continually bounced back up the charts when Nintendo released new hardware, had a price cut, or put out a game in either series on other platforms. It's Mario.

Because Minecraft functions as more of an investment given its technically limitless replay value. Mario has a set number of stages and content, with even less to do if you don't consider replaying levels for coins as compelling gameplay.

People will invest $7 so their kids on their iPads can be happy for years. Not so sure if those people will buy those same kids Super Mario Run for $3 more only for them to stop playing it in a day or two.

With SMR there isn't any guarantee of new world including within the $10. Everyone knows MC is a forever updated and changing world. $10 stagnant versus $7 dynamic.

Mrbob

What will be interesting to see is it's legs. Once the Nintendo fans have all bought it (They obviously will) is there enough value for the average person to pay $10? There's not even enough there for me to pay $10.
Look at the long tail of Nintendo games... why would this Nintendo game, especially a Mario game, be any different? People can complain and they'll still buy the game.

Madame M

Banned
Wow.

Mobile gaming people and their comments about pricing in the review section on AppStore.

I now really understand why it isn't mobile games that are the threat, it's the gaming business model. There's no way games like UC4, Gears, Star Citizen or The Witness, let alone something like Bound, could ever be done in that space.

I find it amusing that you use the terms "Star Citizen" and "done" in the same sentence.

Mivey

It's almost like there is an audience for Nintendo games, who have 0 interest in Nintendo hardware. What a crazy world. Wait? It's no longer 1991, but 2016? Oh, yeah, then its no so surprising.

Madame M

Banned
It's almost like there is an audience for Nintendo games, who have 0 interest in Nintendo hardware. What a crazy world. Wait? It's no longer 1991, but 2016? Oh, yeah, then its no so surprising.

It's easy to find an audience among iphone users when your app is advertised right when you enter the app store.

oti

Banned

I really hope Bill Trinen is reading this. No way Nintendo would know about this possibility. Maybe we should start a general "Here's how you to run your business, Nintendo" thread for all the great and free business advice around here. I mean, what do they know? Right?

RagnarokX

I really hope Bill Trinen is reading this. No way Nintendo would know about this possibility. Maybe we should start a general "Here's how you to run your business, Nintendo" thread for all the great and free business advice around here. I mean, what do they know? Right?
Nintendo has only been going for over 200 years. They are clearly perplexed by a couple of decades.

Nintendo didn't think there was no market in mobile; they were afraid of the effect it had on devaluing gaming would have on traditional gaming. With the amount of people freaking out about $10 that's Nintendo's point.

The problem is there isn't sustained revenue as it's a single buy in point.

It's a good launch. Yet how many iOS consumers are gonna keep buying in at this price point over the next month? 3 months? 6 months?

The fans that are already in you got their money already. So with no micro transactions or dlc on the horizon there isn't gonna be any recurring money from owners who already purchased.

Edit: I do wonder if Mario nostalgia would have kicked in for way more people at $5 entry point. More than enough to offset the pricing difference between $5 and $10.

What's stopping them from releasing map packs?

Just cause they haven't announced DLC doesn't mean none is coming.

Oersted

I hope you enjoyed the conversation with yourself.

Yes, people are often interested in software which was previously only available on plattforms they don't own.

Thats why Super Mario Run is now on IPhone, Microsoft Office is now on IPhone and Sony is now developing games for IPhone.

So far, so right. Where you are obviously wrong is that these people have no interest in Nintendo hardware per se. Nintendo 3DS and Pokemon titles had a massive sales increase across the board due to Pokemon Go.

MacTag

Banned

The campign is just half of SMR, the real meat is in the competitive challenge mode. Which pits you against constantly updating player ghosts and also remixes course sections randomly, providing basically endless content. That feeds into the town building kingdom mode too with other little unlockables. People aren't going to be done with this game in a day or two.

Daknight

Just tried the game on my Dad's iPad and enjoy it. Can't wait for it to come out on Android since is what I have. Will gladly pay the $10 fee.

Re2pect2

Neo Member
I hope the success of SMR will prove to Nintendo that they don't need to go F2P with their mobile games. I'll gladly pay the $10 for their future mobile games if they're good.

spelen

The initial shock over the price will subside if the title turns out to be worth it ppl will buy it. The ppl spewing nonsense in their review might not buy it cause of the price but they are decidedly the minority. Also their shock over the price doesn't mean these ppl think the game sucks. I personally wouldn't be too worried if I was Nintendo. The investment was probably so minimal that the title is making pure profit already I'd wager.also the public awareness they've brought makes it more than worthwhile.

Top Bottom