• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super "NeoGAF Arcade Stick Thread" II TURBO

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
If you didn't know, Mad Catz has a bunch of unique solutions for modding and customizing your Tournament Edition FightSticks! Today, we just announced our side panel availability in both the original TE style and the TE 'S' style.

8382119086_3200255b2e_o.jpg

8381036989_b67ffcbb56_o.jpg

Check out our parts store here: http://store.gameshark.com/listCategoriesAndProducts.asp?idCategory=328

If you have any questions, let me know!

Does anyone know where to find a wiring diagram for a HRAP VX-SA?
Its pretty similar to the HRAP 3 variants i found on shoryuken but not the exact board.
I'm wanting to put a PS360+ in it and want to be sure i don't mess up the powered lines.

Also the 360+ only has 4 spots to solder to for the USB cable and the USB cable that comes with the HRAP has 5 wires (one being a shielded ground from what i read). Can i just not wire the shielded ground into the board and be ok?

nbthedude

Ok, so I have really been enjoying Super Street Fighter IV Arcade Edition on PC since picking it up from the Steam sale and I even have a buddy that has gotten in to playing it with me to.

I am probably an average player; I know some two in ones and reversals and I generally like this kind of game but I'm not some crazy dedicated fan.

But I think I just may be enjoying this game enough that I am interested in picking up a dedicated fighting stick. I don't need anything ultra fancy. I frankly don't even care what it LOOKS like as long as it functions well. What is the best sub $100 stick that will work on the PC for this purpose?

I was looking at this guy:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fighting-Stick-Arcade-Joystick-Street-Fighter-IV-PC-PS3-/140611529877

Thoughts?

Ok, so I have really been enjoying Super Street Fighter IV Arcade Edition on PC since picking it up from the Steam sale and I even have a buddy that has gotten in to playing it with me to.

I am probably an average player; I know some two in ones and reversals and I generally like this kind of game but I'm not some crazy dedicated fan.

But I think I just may be enjoying this game enough that I am interested in picking up a dedicated fighting stick. I don't need anything ultra fancy. I frankly don't even care what it LOOKS like as long as it functions well. What is the best sub $100 stick that will work on the PC for this purpose?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fighting-Stick-Arcade-Joystick-Street-Fighter-IV-PC-PS3-/140611529877

Thoughts?

The stick and buttons look cheap as hell. Get a used Madcatz TE or Hori real arcade pro (make sure it is all sanwa, or semitsu stick and buttons).

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
If you didn't know, Mad Catz has a bunch of unique solutions for modding and customizing your Tournament Edition FightSticks! Today, we just announced our side panel availability in both the original TE style and the TE 'S' style.

Any chance of a black TE side?

nbthedude

The stick and buttons look cheap as hell. Get a used Madcatz TE or Hori real arcade pro (make sure it is all sanwa, or semitsu stick and buttons).

My investment is not high enough in the game that I want to spend $130+ for a used fighting stick. I am never going to be a tournament level player. Nor do I ever intend to be. I just want to have some fun with my friends.

What about if I got the WWI Brawl stick? Those seem be going for fairly cheap. Are they upgradable to the better parts?

Like if I bought a Brawl Stick and then put in a Sanwa Joystic and buttons. Would that be possible? That would end up costing me about $50 less what that used Street Fighter TE stick would cost.

NeoGIF

My investment is not high enough in the game that I want to spend $130+ for a used fighting stick. I am never going to be a tournament level player. Nor do I ever intend to be. I just want to have some fun with my friends.

What about if I got the WWI Brawl stick? Those seem be going for fairly cheap. Are they upgradable to the better parts?

yeah if you aren't going with a high end Hori that's the best way to go, you can swap out the buttons and stick on them.

if you are at the $100 mark for a budget though, i'd suggest just holding off for now until there's a sale. TE and Hori sticks go on salt for $100 fairly often and they are absolutely worth it as compared to a lower end stick. At least wait until this weekend to see what's on sale for SCR. Stuff usually goes on sale for majors. Just watch the levelup stream this weekend and see what's on sale.

G0DLIKE

@ MarkMan

Would those side panels fit the SOUL Edition fightstick?

Sorry if that's a foolish question.

Thoughts?

That stick looks like it'd be pretty uncomfortable if used on your lap. The buttons and stick could be pretty shit too.

Take these good peoples advice.

Yes Boss!

Yeah,

For what looks like $75-ish delivered you could do a heck of a lot better. Even scour the Buy/Sell/Trade thread as lots of folks dump sticks there.

Finally! I've been wanting these side panels for so long and I didn't want the wooden panels that were only being offered. Thanks Markman and Mad Catz.

Enron

Banned
Yeah,

For what looks like $75-ish delivered you could do a heck of a lot better. Even scour the Buy/Sell/Trade thread as lots of folks dump sticks there.

I dumped a hori SCV for 75ish not too long ago on B/S/T and I saw other sticks in that price range - absolutely check there first before hitting ebay.

FaintDeftone

I've been wanting to buy an arcade stick, but I'm scared to make the jump because I'm afraid I'm buying either too high of a quality stick or two low of a quality stick. I am not a hardcore fighting game player but I would like to get into the genre more, so I do not need a top of the line stick.

What would you guys recommend? I just want something good that isn't a POS but nothing super expensive.

Go used and get a top of the line stick. I love my Hori real arcade pro. The later ones even come with sanwa buttons. The Madcatz TE stick is good too.

Thoughts?

Just stay away from the cheap shit. You really don't want a Brawl stick or that one you linked to. They don't feel good to play with and either the buttons are going to crap out or the stick is going to crap out and you'll be spending another $60 for real (arcade) Sanwa parts, which you should have gotten in the first place. Just wait until Mad Catz, Eightarc, or Amazon has a sale and you can get a real stick for about $100.

FSLink

Banned
Just stay away from the cheap shit. You really don't want a Brawl stick or that one you linked to. They don't feel good to play with and either the buttons are going to crap out or the stick is going to crap out and you'll be spending another $60 for real (arcade) Sanwa parts, which you should have gotten in the first place. Just wait until Mad Catz, Eightarc, or Amazon has a sale and you can get a real stick for about $100.

I disagree. You can usually find the Brawl stick on deals for really cheap (They were $20 on Amazon at one point), and it's a decent starter stick. If you ever want to get higher quality part it's extremely easy to mod too.

But yes if you don't go Brawl stick, definitely go with sticks with great parts like eightarc/Madcatz TE/Qanba/etc. You can find them on sale for around $100 if you wait.

I disagree. You can usually find the Brawl stick on deals for really cheap (They were $20 on Amazon at one point), and it's a decent starter stick. If you ever want to get higher quality part it's extremely easy to mod too.

But yes if you don't go Brawl stick, definitely go with sticks with great parts like eightarc/Madcatz TE/Qanba/etc. You can find them on sale for around $100 if you wait.

After getting real arcade parts and new art to cover that fucking ugly John Cena shit up, you'd have spent pretty close to $100 anyway, so why not just go for a good stick to begin with? That's what I'm saying.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
Any chance of a black TE side?

At this time, no. Sorry. We tried not to make any sides that we already made available in other sticks we released.

Cool. Now you guys need to add custom top panels for purchase.

Right now we only have our Combat Panel (which is great for MK style games). Maybe we'll do more in the future. Maybe a 6 button snazzy one that's Mad Catz branded or something.

@ MarkMan

Would those side panels fit the SOUL Edition fightstick?

Yes they will.

Finally! I've been wanting these side panels for so long and I didn't want the wooden panels that were only being offered. Thanks Markman and Mad Catz.

The wait is no over! :) No problem.

ScOULaris

At this time, no. Sorry. We tried not to make any sides that we already made available in other sticks we released.

Hm, I don't really understand that thinking. One of the crappy things about the TE sticks is that each iteration only gets a limited release, and if you wait too long you're stuck with the redesigns that come later.

For example, I think that the Round 2 SF4 stick and the Type S Black SSF4 stick were the best looking TE sticks ever released. But since Madcatz stops producing one design once another comes out, my only option for having that style TE stick with the black sides is buying used.

T-Matt

Check out our parts store here: http://store.gameshark.com/listCategoriesAndProducts.asp?idCategory=328

Those are pretty cool and I'm sure people are gonna do some nice mods. I haven't been able to mod my TE round1, something about its looks just seems perfect for me.

knee

Hm, I don't really understand that thinking. One of the crappy things about the TE sticks is that each iteration only gets a limited release, and if you wait too long you're stuck with the redesigns that come later.

For example, I think that the Round 2 SF4 stick and the Type S Black SSF4 stick were the best looking TE sticks ever released. But since Madcatz stops producing one design once another comes out, my only option for having that style TE stick with the black sides is buying used.

I understand their logic.

Black and white sides will sell on a stick. Put out a blue or a pink sided stick and it may sit on the shelves unsold. At least they made the options available for those who want those colors.

I'm just wondering if the blue matches this blue Seimitsu ball top I have.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Oh ho ho! Shit just got real.

Edit: Wait. They don't mention Happ parts for the Injustice stick. They only mention that the MK 9 Kollektors Edition or whatever the fuck had Happ parts. I would definitely love to see someone step up to the plate and start releasing Happ part equipped sticks for the mass market.

Yeah I guess it could be not Happ haha. Astro layout at least ~

ScOULaris

I understand their logic.

Black and white sides will sell on a stick. Put out a blue or a pink sided stick and it may sit on the shelves unsold. At least they made the options available for those who want those colors.

I'm just wondering if the blue matches this blue Seimitsu ball top I have.

Honestly, I mostly wanted to vent about the fact that all of the recent designs for TE sticks look ugly to me compared to the earlier ones. I hate that they don't continue to sell various versions of the TE stick through their store.

Haha, that looks like ass. Wouldn't be caught dead playing with that monstrosity.

DoubleTap

If we're going by recent history that should be a PDP stick. If it has US arcade style stick & buttons and moddable like the MK version, I'm definitely interested. A bit of variety from all the Sanwa/Seimitsu sticks on the market isn't a bad thing in my book.

knee

Re: Injustice

Let's hope for all Sanwa w/ a bat top. Happ parts are great, but they require a really deep base. :-\ I don't want a stick the height of a shoebox anymore.

Honestly, I mostly wanted to vent about the fact that all of the recent designs for TE sticks look ugly to me compared to the earlier ones. I hate that they don't continue to sell various versions of the TE stick through their store.

Haha, that looks like ass. Wouldn't be caught dead playing with that monstrosity.

Too many SKUs = bad business. They can't just 'have them all' all the time. They'd be looking at sure loss.

If I were in your spot and missed the Round 1/2 TE train, I'd look at getting the TTT2 stick or the Namco Bandai one

Not the most helpful advice for your quest, I know :-\

Reclaimer

Just starting to research a (very) nice arcade stick purchase... And I'm pretty new to this... So I need GAF help!

-My uses would be mostly shmups, but I'd like to get back into fighters and this should help. :)

-Budget is high, I'd rather spend a lot and get something awesome at this point.

Any suggestions?

The Hori VLX Diamond looks great, but is it really much better than a Hori I can readily pick up in the US?

Any hope of finding a great stick that I can use on my PS3 and my 360?

DasRaven

Just starting to research a (very) nice arcade stick purchase... And I'm pretty new to this... So I need GAF help!

-My uses would be mostly shmups, but I'd like to get back into fighters and this should help. :)

-Budget is high, I'd rather spend a lot and get something awesome at this point.

Any suggestions?

The Hori VLX Diamond looks great, but is it really much better than a Hori I can readily pick up in the US?

Off the shelf, Etokki Omni, it made me sell/retire all my other non-custom "japanese-style" sticks.
If your budget is sufficiently high, go full custom with Voltech, B15 SDM, GiantSword, etc.

BOTEC

Any suggestions?

Shmup guys (including myself) usually prefer Seimitsu parts, especially for the joystick. For something that's stock equipped with Seimitsu components, I would recommend the Hori RAP VX-SE ("Special Edition," or SEimitsu). Either the original, or the "Kai" revision. Or if you can find it, the original RAP EX-SE. Full Seimitsu out of the box. The VX-SE line unfortunately has not been released in the West, so you'll have to get it from someplace like amazon.co.jp and get a third party shipper to ship it to you. the EX-SE was released worldwide, but it's long out of production, so I'd expect to find only used models. I also think Qanba had a all-Seimitsu model a few years ago, but I'd bet it's out of stock by now. The VLX Diamond is a sexy beast indeed, but it's just a bigger version of a regular stick. It's more for looks than performance. Or if you're feeling adventurous, you can get a cheap-ass Brawl Stick, and mod it with Seimitsu parts yourself. It's H4rdc0re!

Amazon.co.jp for HRAP VX-SE Kai - http://www.amazon.co.jp/%E3%80%90Amazon-co-jp%E9%99%90%E5%AE%9A%E3%80%91-%E3%83%AA%E3%82%A2%E3%83%AB%E3%82%A2%E3%83%BC%E3%82%B1%E3%83%BC%E3%83%89Pro-VX-SE-%E6%94%B9-Xbox360%E7%94%A8/dp/B0087104SW/ref=pd_cp_vg_1

Amazon.com for HRAP EX-SE (Used) - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002FKYPU4/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=&seller=

It also apears that the Qanba sticks are still in stock:
Arcade-Shock for Qanba Q4 SE - http://www.arcadeshock.com/items/qanba-professional-joysticks/qanba-q4-360-ps3-pc-special-edition-all-seimitsu-parts-clear-black-balltop-q4-3in1blkseblkbt-detail.htm

Qanba Q4 SE Clear/Black balltop - http://www.arcadeshock.com/items/qanba-professional-joysticks/qanba-q4-360-ps3-pc-se-edition-all-seimitsu-parts-clear-black-balltop-q4-3in1blkseblkbt-detail.htm

Qanba Q4 SE Clear/White balltop - http://www.arcadeshock.com/items/qanba-professional-joysticks/qanba-q4-360-ps3-pc-se-edition-all-seimitsu-parts-white-clear-balltop-q4-3in1blksewhibt-detail.htm

Yes Boss!

^^^^^

I've got all those sticks.

Best bet is definitely going to be the dual-system SE Qanba models sold at Arcade Shock. The various VX-SEs are going to set one back near $300 at this point with the crappy exchange and shipping.

Alternately, pretty cheap to get a US SA Kai at Amazon and throw in a Seimitsu stick for $30. Kinda the best of all worlds: great new Hori form factor with the new additions, solid Seimitsu sick for shmup movement, stock Sanwa buttons (which are great for any game).

BOTEC

^^^^^

Best bet is definitely going to be the dual-system SE Qanba models sold at Arcade Shock. The various VX-SEs are going to set one back near $300 at this point with the crappy exchange and shipping.

Alternately, pretty cheap to get a US SA Kai at Amazon and throw in a Seimitsu stick for $30. Kinda the best of all worlds: great new Hori form factor with the new additions, solid Seimitsu sick for shmup movement, stock Sanwa buttons (which are great for any game).

It's like you've read my mind...:)

Reclaimer

^^^^^

Than you everyone for the responses! There is WAY too many options for an arcade stick noob to sift through and expert opinions from Gaf

Those Hori US SA Kai sticks look nice, but are single system though. I really, really want something 360/Ps3 compatible... And even better if I can get that guy hooked to an SNES (but that's for another pcb/stick/adventurous weekend;)

If I go with a QanBa Q4 with all Seimitsu parts (LS 32 stick), will I be screwed if I want to switch to sanwa parts later? I *think* the mounting plates are the same... I just want to have options.

As for Sanwa VS Seimitsu... I like the idea of a tighter stick and buttons with clickier switches. This means Seimitsu to me. And the LS 32 stick has an adjustable 2/4/8 gate. As I said earlier, I'm more of a shmup guy than a fighter, but I want to play more fighters and I still love retro games like Metal Slug and Pac Man. Will a Seimitsu stick and buttons be versatile enough for me?

I know these are potentially crazy, vague questions, thanks for your patience. :)

BOTEC

Than you everyone for the responses! There is WAY too many options for an arcade stick noob to sift through and expert opinions from Gaf

Those Hori US SA Kai sticks look nice, but are single system though. I really, really want something 360/Ps3 compatible... And even better if I can get that guy hooked to an SNES (but that's for another pcb/stick/adventurous weekend;)

If I go with a QanBa Q4 with all Seimitsu parts (LS 32 stick), will I be screwed if I want to switch to sanwa parts later? I *think* the mounting plates are the same... I just want to have options.

As for Sanwa VS Seimitsu... I like the idea of a tighter stick and buttons with clickier switches. This means Seimitsu to me. And the LS 32 stick has an adjustable 2/4/8 gate. As I said earlier, I'm more of a shmup guy than a fighter, but I want to play more fighters and I still love retro games like Metal Slug and Pac Man. Will a Seimitsu stick and buttons be versatile enough for me?

I know these are potentially crazy, vague questions, thanks for your patience. :)

I'm of the school of thought that Seimitsu is all you'll ever need. It has all the precision for shmups, and the all sensitivity for fighters you'll need. I use Seimitsu joysticks exclusively for all my arcade game play time, and if I ever need to throw a hadoken, I can throw a hadoken with the greatest of ease, but if Evac Industries wants to shoot my ass down, I'll give 'em a fight on the very same stick. Seimitsu gives you the precision you need in shooters, and the sensitivity you may want in fighters.

I love the versatility of their parts. The shmup is the real breaking point in this discussion. I've tried several times over the years, and a bunch of different parts, to play shooters with a Sanwa stick, or a Sanwa knock-off and every time they've come up short. They're all way too loose to precisely get Reco-hime-sama in between all those Pink Bullets, so Seimitsu wins every time with their quick engage distance, which is the distance you need to move the lever, in order to activate the microswitch (the "CLICK," and not the distance you need to hit the gate. PROTIP: Don't ride the gate kids.) I've found the Seimitsu (LS-40, my personal fave) part will give you the surgical precision for dodging all that damn shit a shmup throws at you, and give you the freedom to shoryuken Sagat in his big dumb face every time he asks for it. The best of both worlds.

tl;dr: You gain every advantage with Seimitsu, and not so much with Sanwa.

Yes Boss!

Have not used much other than the LS-32, but It seems perfect to me...fighters, shooters, whatever.

Favorite is the LS-32 matched with Sanwa buttons...can't beat that match for shooters, I feel.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
Re: Injustice stick.

It's either a Sanwa bat top or a clone of it. You can tell by the part lines that it's not a Happ.

Vhalyar

tl;dr: You gain every advantage with Seimitsu, and not so much with Sanwa.

Shmup gems dropped in that post, awesome. Have you tried Korean sticks, like Crown or Myoungshin? Any idea how they compare to Seimitsu and Sanwa for shmups/versatility?

Yes Boss!

Shmup gems dropped in that post, awesome. Have you tried Korean sticks, like Crown or Myoungshin? Any idea how they compare to Seimitsu and Sanwa for shmups/versatility?

I would like to know this as well.

I periodically check the eTokki for the new Korean stick but it is always sold out, even the preorders. Reeally would like to get one with the Korean parts for the collection and to try them out on shmups.

Recently came into a set of Arc Eye 3s.

I have a TE-S with a Kitty mod in it from the godlikecontrols guy.

What light controller do you guys recommend that would easy to install into this setup, and is both quality and has plenty of options?

Wynnebeck

Banned
You gain every advantage with Seimitsu, and not so much with Sanwa.

I'm going to have to disagree. I've found that when I had modded my stick with Seimitsu buttons and joystick, I really had trouble trying to use it comfortably. The throw on the stick felt awkward and I was always fighting with it and the sensitivity of the buttons wasn't high enough to do what I wanted in game where I might have had to Negative Edge, etc. I went back and order a Sanwa stick and buttons and I never looked back. They both are decent companies but I would throw my support behind Sanwa. Just my 2 cents.

BOTEC

I have not, but I would love to. I keep forgetting that eTokki Omni exists every time I have an itch to buy a stick.

@Wynnebeck: I'll give you the button part. I've never really found a Seimitsu button I loved. Sure they work, but that Sanwa OBSF-30 is perfection. My perfect stick/cab config would be LS-40 joystick, and OBSF-30 buttons. Pure win.

Reclaimer

I bit the bullet and got an all Seimitsu QanBa Q4 from arcade shock. :)

Coupon code SCR2013 got me 10% off, and its good through the 21st!

Now recommend me an awesome shmup I may have missed (*or is pure candy to get used to the new stick*), or a fighting game to ease me into it.

I was thinking Deathsmiles (never played it!) and Super Street Fighter 4 Arcade and maybe even DOA5. Always enjoyed DOA despite everything wrong with it.

Or maybe I'll just dig up my GradiusV... So excited!

Edit: Two more potentially oddball games Im excited to try with the stick... Pacman CE DX and Catherine. Both will benefit from swifter, more accurate controls than my Xbox dpad. Potentially Rez might me interesting as well.

gokieks

I love Seimitsu buttons, but I find that I'd much rather play shooters with a Sanwa JLF than fighters with a Seimitsu LS-32/40, so if I only had one stick to use, I'd still stick with Sanwa.

BOTEC

I bit the bullet and got an all Seimitsu QanBa Q4 from arcade shock. :)

Coupon code SCR2013 got me 10% off, and its good through the 21st!

Now recommend me an awesome shmup I may have missed (*or is pure candy to get used to the new stick*), or a fighting game to ease me into it.

I was thinking Deathsmiles (never played it!) and Super Street Fighter 4 Arcade and maybe even DOA5. Always enjoyed DOA despite everything wrong with it.

Or maybe I'll just dig up my GradiusV... So excited!

Edit: Two more potentially oddball games Im excited to try with the stick... Pacman CE DX and Catherine. Both will benefit from swifter, more accurate controls than my Xbox dpad. Potentially Rez might me interesting as well.

Awesome! I guess that means Arcade-Shock isn't lying and they have them in stock still. I should grab one myself. All those games are great. Can't ever go wrong with Street Fighter, and I've actually played a bunch of DOA5 and had a blast. Good game. If you want some old-school Cave madness, Guwange has that in spades. It's on XBLA and it's cheap.

Beckx

I'll second Guwange. If you don't have the CAVE or Treasure shooters on XBLA, I'd go with those. If don't have Mushimesama Futari...then I can think of no better way to break in a stick. :)

As for fighters, again, can't go wrong w/ SF, though I'd throw a vote to P4A. The 2xQCF moves are very forgiving while you're learning a new stick.

Top Bottom