• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super "NeoGAF Arcade Stick Thread" II TURBO

kick51

Banned
So, aside from the Foehammer S7, anyone know where I can buy a silent stick? Is there any place?

I hear madcatz is selling the SH at Evo, but I will not be there. I might put a bounty on one to pick it up for me, depending on how much they'll be selling for. :)

thundr51

So I posted in the Fighting Games Weekly thread about a question I had about an arcade stick I'm looking into getting, but I haven't gotten a response yet. I'm not sure that was the best place to ask a stick question. Anyways, was just wondering if anyone had any experience with this stick, because I'm really leaning towards getting it.

http://store.gameshark.com/viewItem.asp?idProduct=5793&idCategory=274

Sorta in the same boat as well. Going to CEO this weekend and wanted suggestions on what to look for. Don't need anything too high end since I'm not a pro by any stretch but looking for something midlevel. Last time I bought a stick was the VSHG when VF5 launched on the PS3. Would be nice if it worked on PS360.

Moofers

So its pretty much confirmed that our current gen sticks won't work on the PS4 or Xbone, right? That's a bummer. What do you guys/gals think the odds are we'll see somebody figure out a mod for that? I have a Mad Catz Namco TE S that I love love love and would hate to only get to use with my PS3. Wouldn't be the end of the world, but it'd be rad if I could keep using that thing on the regular for all the new hotness.

Sorta in the same boat as well. Going to CEO this weekend and wanted suggestions on what to look for. Don't need anything too high end since I'm not a pro by any stretch but looking for something midlevel. Last time I bought a stick was the VSHG when VF5 launched on the PS3. Would be nice if it worked on PS360.

There's a guy on here who dual mods VHSG. Username is akuma001.

kick51

Banned
Are silent buttons not available for purchase on their own?

They are, but stick + buttons + getting a mod job done will be about the same price as the stick itself, I think.

Of course, I could always teach myself a new skill. Anyone mod sticks with no experience in this kind of thing before? Is it tough to learn/easy to fuck up?

ILoveBish

So its pretty much confirmed that our current gen sticks won't work on the PS4 or Xbone, right? That's a bummer. What do you guys/gals think the odds are we'll see somebody figure out a mod for that? I have a Mad Catz Namco TE S that I love love love and would hate to only get to use with my PS3. Wouldn't be the end of the world, but it'd be rad if I could keep using that thing on the regular for all the new hotness.

PS3 wheels work in driveclub on PS4. HID devices plugged in via usb should all work just fine. They would have to be actively blocked by someone for them to not work. Even the PS4 controller is just a HID device, they plugged one into a OUYA and the PS4 controller worked just fine. So PS3 sticks should just work fine, unless someone goes out of their way to block you from doing so.

PS3 wheels work in driveclub on PS4. HID devices plugged in via usb should all work just fine. They would have to be actively blocked by someone for them to not work. Even the PS4 controller is just a HID device, they plugged one into a OUYA and the PS4 controller worked just fine. So PS3 sticks should just work fine, unless someone goes out of their way to block you from doing so.

Native PS3 controllers aren't necessarily communicating with the PS3 in HID though. It remains to be seen if they'll communicate with PS4 in HID like they do on PC.

Ok let's hope this makes sense. I'm new to this so a quick answer would be excellent. I'll try to be concise.

What I have:

TE-S with Kitty Mod from a year or two ago.
Arc Eye 2s installed into a set of Seimitsu screw ins.

What I am looking for:

LED controller for the ArcEyes that'll be a relatively simple install with the Kitty that's installed already.

My first thought was Remora, but that's sort of been out of stock for half a year or something.

Is Sparky still the way to go here? Is there something else I should consider?

I'm curious how many people have had a chance to try the new Hori Fighting Edge, and what they think of it. It seems really slick from the videos I've seen, but that says nothing about how it feels.

Am I the only one who thinks this looks similar enough to the PS4 that they could really do a bundle on this once they get an innovative fighing game?

Ok let's hope this makes sense. I'm new to this so a quick answer would be excellent. I'll try to be concise.

What I have:

TE-S with Kitty Mod from a year or two ago.
Arc Eye 2s installed into a set of Seimitsu screw ins.

What I am looking for:

LED controller for the ArcEyes that'll be a relatively simple install with the Kitty that's installed already.

My first thought was Remora, but that's sort of been out of stock for half a year or something.

Is Sparky still the way to go here? Is there something else I should consider?

i use a sparky jr pcb and it's pretty easy to install. there's a tutorial video on how to properly install but it shouldnt take more than 45 minutes.

http://www.focusattack.com/sparky-pwm-smd-led-controller-pcb/

i use a sparky jr pcb and it's pretty easy to install. there's a tutorial video on how to properly install but it shouldnt take more than 45 minutes.

http://www.focusattack.com/sparky-pwm-smd-led-controller-pcb/

Yeah, that was the only other one I had considered. I was wondering if there were special considerations with regards to wiring or other issues when a kitty is installed alongside, but if it works for you then super; I'll snag it.

Thanks!

Yeah, that was the only other one I had considered. I was wondering if there were special considerations with regards to wiring or other issues when a kitty is installed alongside, but if it works for you then super; I'll snag it.

Thanks!

i have it installed with a TE-kitty working just fine.

Awesome hrap2sa mod hibachifinal.

I'd be fine with the yellow dust cover. Maybe use some yellow/black OBSF-24s on start and select for some balance?

:D used the recessed 24mm Yellow Hori buttons (from my other HRAP2).. looks awesome now, something about a yellow start button just feels right.

Wished the HORI Fighting Edge's shaft/dustcover and the side panel were white too.

well, its a prototype display, hopefully they change that in the retail release :S

johnhandy

They are, but stick + buttons + getting a mod job done will be about the same price as the stick itself, I think.

Of course, I could always teach myself a new skill. Anyone mod sticks with no experience in this kind of thing before? Is it tough to learn/easy to fuck up?
Silencing buttons is a simple and cheap mod. Paradise Arcade Shop sells pads for $0.35 each. Installation is as simple as opening up your stick, removing plunger from button, putting in the pad, and putting plunger back on button. Plunger is held in place by two tabs that stick into the rim on either side; push in tabs with a small flathead screwdriver and push the plunger out. You can probably do this on a TE without removing the button. If you want to replace the whole button, look for Sanwa buttons labeled as OBSFS. Unplug the wires from the button, squeeze tabs on buttons and push through the control panel. Reverse the process for installing new buttons.

Some options for a silent stick. Paradise Arcade Shop sells a few kits that range from $10-$36 depending on the type of microswitch; remove the restrictor gate, remove the old microswitch assembly, install new assembly, and plug it back in. Not too difficult to do. Sanwa's official stick runs about $80, which replaces everything. May actually be more difficult depending on how tight the stick is screwed into the mounting plate. For a truly silent stick, you'll want to replace the microswitch assembly with an optical sensor. This will require some soldering skills to tap the power from the USB, but not an issue if you've got a Chimp or Chulthu since there are screw terminals available.

Good luck!

just wanna add, I have a full set of the paradise arcade sanwa button silencers (was one of the beta testers)... i've compared it quite a bit with the official sanwa ones, and i think they are somewhat better, ParadiseArcade ones are slimmer and have more room for pressing the button, and doesn't feel as stuffed as the Sanwa ones.

kick51

Banned
Silencing buttons is a simple and cheap mod. Paradise Arcade Shop sells pads for $0.35 each. Installation is as simple as opening up your stick, removing plunger from button, putting in the pad, and putting plunger back on button. Plunger is held in place by two tabs that stick into the rim on either side; push in tabs with a small flathead screwdriver and push the plunger out. You can probably do this on a TE without removing the button. If you want to replace the whole button, look for Sanwa buttons labeled as OBSFS. Unplug the wires from the button, squeeze tabs on buttons and push through the control panel. Reverse the process for installing new buttons.

Some options for a silent stick. Paradise Arcade Shop sells a few kits that range from $10-$36 depending on the type of microswitch; remove the restrictor gate, remove the old microswitch assembly, install new assembly, and plug it back in. Not too difficult to do. Sanwa's official stick runs about $80, which replaces everything. May actually be more difficult depending on how tight the stick is screwed into the mounting plate. For a truly silent stick, you'll want to replace the microswitch assembly with an optical sensor. This will require some soldering skills to tap the power from the USB, but not an issue if you've got a Chimp or Chulthu since there are screw terminals available.

Good luck!

just wanna add, I have a full set of the paradise arcade sanwa button silencers (was one of the beta testers)... i've compared it quite a bit with the official sanwa ones, and i think they are somewhat better, ParadiseArcade ones are slimmer and have more room for pressing the button, and doesn't feel as stuffed as the Sanwa ones.

Thanks! Doesn't sound bad at all. This will totally come in...it'll be useful to reference when I get around to this. :)

Can't seem to get any info on the silent sticks being sold at evo, so i'll prob go this route.

Yes Boss!

A look at the Mad Catz TE2 with Zhi & myself: http://youtu.be/LBcUP0HNQgU

Thanks for sharing! I was already day one with this stick, One, and KI. This just makes it more exciting. Did not know it had LED on the buttons and sides. That is cool.

Btw, I like the move to continuity company branding.

I'm definitely in a fallow period with sticks since I wanna make this year about arcade but my next sticks will be the SH, the WRAP, and then the TE2.

thundr51

So it looks like Mad Catz already has the codes for sticks on their website already. Real talk: TTT2 TE S+ or SoulCaliburV?

@Markman, are you going to be at CEO?

A look at the Mad Catz TE2 with Zhi & myself: http://youtu.be/LBcUP0HNQgU

Wow, that looks really cool. I like the sound of the features so far.

Do the LEDs have an on/off switch?

I like Vewlix btw. I grew up playing SFII in US arcades, so when I first got a stick, I would map everything to the straight buttons and ignore the first 2 (B and Y on the TVC stick), but I grew out of that pretty quickly (thanks to VC SNES not using ZL and ZR) and use the 6 leftmost buttons now.

Yes Boss!

Hori japan site has the final specs and look of the WRAP. Guess it is wireless with a li-on battery and also wired if you want. No clear case no more, but the black and blue is pretty unique:

Yeah, doubly sucks considering they aren't limited by Sanwa or anything since the parts are their own.

The Arcadeshock facebook page was saying that the White prototype FE was using Sanwa instead of the Hori proprietary parts.

ScOULaris

So watching Mago play at CEO on what sounded like silenced Sanwas made me wanna try them out. I ended up just buying some homemade silencing pads from one of the booths there, so here's hoping that they fit/work well enough. The ones that I got don't look as nicely cut as the ones from Paradise Arcade or other such stores, but they were only $2 for 8 of them.

ScOULaris

Update: Alright, so I installed the silencer pads into my HRAP3 Sanwa buttons and gave them a test drive. Long story short, they sucked. While it was cool at first to have silent button presses, I quickly grew to detest the soft, mushy feeling of the buttons with the pads inside. Even worse, I was having to press extra hard in order to guarantee that my input would even be registered, which was a major dealbreaker as you'd imagine.

After about fifteen minutes of playing with them, I opened my stick back up and removed them. I'd imagine that the official Sanwa silent buttons feel a bit better, but I can't imagine they'd have the same tactile feedback as the normal ones.

Cool to just post a random pic of stick? Mine has not seen much use, last time I used it was when Soul Calibur V came out.

I plan on using it in MK9 on PC as well though. And hopefully it'll work with PS4...fingers crossed.

du2McS0.jpg

Nothing spectacular but I like it.

ScOULaris

So after attending CEO and catching a bit of arcade stick fever, I am leaning toward finally ordering an etokki Omni Sanwa Edition stick. It's in my opinion the most beautiful stick around, and I've been lusting after it for a while now.

That being said, I am hesitant to drop $190 on a PS3/360/PC stick when the next gen systems will most likely not support it. I know that it's possible that we'll see PS4 support since it is an HID device, but the Xbox One is almost a guaranteed no-go, right?

Has anyone gotten their hands on a Razer Atrox yet?

I'm not really into Razer products but I am seeing one here in a local shop and the Sanwa parts and easy moddability is really turning me on.

But I have had bad experience with Razer products before and I was wondering if this was a worthy purchase. I don't have an Xbox 360 stick yet and this is the first I've seen that's available in my area that actually has good Sanwa parts in it.

ScOULaris

When it comes to my next stick, I am trying to decide between the etokki Omni Sanwa Edition, the Qanba R4, and the Eightarc Fusion Ebony.

All of them seem to have their own pros and cons. The etokki is the most expensive but also the nicest looking, but I've heard that it is maybe too heavy and feels a bit hollow. The Qanba R4 has the stupid start button placement, but it has that nifty carrying handle. The Eightarc looks great and has better start button placement but no handle.

Has anyone used these sticks who'd like to share your opinion on the matter?

EasyMode

When it comes to my next stick, I am trying to decide between the etokki Omni Sanwa Edition, the Qanba R4, and the Eightarc Fusion Ebony.

All of them seem to have their own pros and cons. The etokki is the most expensive but also the nicest looking, but I've heard that it is maybe too heavy and feels a bit hollow. The Qanba R4 has the stupid start button placement, but it has that nifty carrying handle. The Eightarc looks great and has better start button placement but no handle.

Has anyone used these sticks who'd like to share your opinion on the matter?

I have the Qanba Q4 and the Omni Sanwa. I'd recommend the Qanba easily, and find the Omni unpleasant to use.

What I dislike most about the Omni is how my wrist rests uncomfortably along the edge of the plexiglass while holding the joystick. My next complaint is a lot more subjective, but I don't like the button layout since I have to angle my wrist inwards to accommodate it. The Omni has some positives though: It's smaller, a bit lighter, better looking, and better start/select button placement. But comfort is the most important factor to me, and that's where the Qanba wins.

As far as the Q4 vs Eightarc, that's mostly a looks versus utility decision. I find the Q4's handle very useful, personally.

ScOULaris

I have the Qanba Q4 and the Omni Sanwa. I'd recommend the Qanba easily, and find the Omni unpleasant to use.

What I dislike most about the Omni is how my wrist rests uncomfortably along the edge of the plexiglass while holding the joystick. My next complaint is a lot more subjective, but I don't like the button layout since I have to angle my wrist inwards to accommodate it. The Omni has some positives though: It's smaller, a bit lighter, better looking, and better start/select button placement. But comfort is the most important factor to me, and that's where the Qanba wins.

As far as the Q4 vs Eightarc, that's mostly a looks versus utility decision. I find the Q4's handle very useful, personally.

Thanks for the very informative reply. I was leaning toward the Omni due to its gorgeous looks and easy customization, but comfort is paramount to me as well. That being said, I am used to the button layout (NOIR?) of my HRAP3, which looks to be what the Omni is using as well. Both the Fusion and the Q4 use a different layout, which would take some adjustment.

I think I might wait until we know more about PS4 compatibility before buying anything. Thanks again!

Cosmozone

Sanwa JLF levers typically do not have levered microswitches (similar to your stock switches) while Seimitsu LS-32 normally does.
You didn't seem to mess with the buttons at all so I can't tell for sure, but that seems too shallow to possibly be microswitched buttons, which is probably the biggest thing that separates your stick from the standard. It looks a lot like what I found inside a Mayflash, where the "buttons" are just rubber membranes pushing onto contact pads.
Thanks, I should have a look at standard sticks but I'm glad it turned out the same switches are used not some custom hard to find stuff. Not bad. I cut off the lever(s) completely now BTW, the former way turned out to be not ideal after all. Found out in the meantime that you can open the switches with your fingernails for some contact grinding action, so you perhaps don't even have to replace them, lol. But of course, this way I could get rid of the lever in a better way next time.

I didn't dare to do anything with the buttons yet. All I can say is that they're probably using springs with a big diameter since they not need much pressure at all. They don't feel like they're pressing against rubber, actually. When pressed all the way down, there's hard resistance and the buttons are triggered mid-air in some unknown way.

I'm probably getting a proper stick sooner or later, but want to look for a proper solution for connecting arbitrary consoles first to make it future proof. I first thought there was no real solution (I asked in this thread), but the pic akuma001 posted recently looks almost exactly like what I was looking for:
akuma001 said:

ScOULaris

I'm probably getting a proper stick sooner or later, but want to look for a proper solution for connecting arbitrary consoles first to make it future proof. I first thought there was no real solution (I asked in this thread), but the pic akuma001 posted recently looks almost exactly like what I was looking for:

Woah. That's a genius idea.

I'm in the middle of a big stick build (wood working right now) and this is currently stressing me out a bit as well. I have some MadCatz 360 fightpads all ready to padhack which would give me PC / 360 support. Currently that's all that I really need as I just have a 360 and I plan on not jumping on next gen for a few years and I'm doing more and more gaming on the PC. But at the same time a little voice in my head wants to spend the extra $85-90 or so and pick up a couple of MC Cthulhu boards so that I could make this dual stick truly multisystem like those Akuma001 sticks.

The issue here is that as far as we know now something like the Cthulhu can cover all the past and present systems (with a 360 pad hacked in) but there is no promise of future proofness. The Xbox One is almost guaranteed not to be supported and have a new security system. And while many have speculated that the PS4 will continue Sony's good trend of providing BC support for non-encrypted HID compatible input devices I'm not really sure myself. They did already specify that they would be locking out PS3 MadCatz fightsticks, which suggests to me that they are moving to a system like the 360 with having an encrypted security check for inputs. In that case I might have spent like $120 (360 pads, MC Cthulhus, RJ45 connection wires) to make a custom arcade stick that's not supported by either Xbox One or the PS4, which would bite.

I think I'm going to wait for now and go with just the 360 pads, that should get me through the next two years or so and hopefully by then we'll have new PCBs or new ways to support the new gen systems.

Beckx

Need some help setting up my Dreamcast w/ Akishop PS360+ Does anyone know what triangle on a stick maps to on the DC controller?

Edit: nevermind, was operator error.

i want a FULL report abou it.

please :)

i dont have the money right now, and i wonder if i should start saving to get one of them.

Haha. What do you want to know about it?

Just spent some time with it. Coming from a HRAP3, I love it. Sits slightly higher than the HRAP though, but no biggie for me. Buttons and stick are typical Sanwa. I might switch it out with an LS-56 + Seimitsu buttons in the future though since that's what I have on my HRAP and I'm so used to them by now. Sanwa buttons are bit too sensitive for me.

Here are some quick pics I took, sorry for the quality:

Hope it gives you an idea of the size and what it looks like inside. Compartments for the spare bat top and USB cable and the honeycomb base.

Can't give you specific measurements or weight, I'm afraid. Hopefully the pic of it sitting next to my HRAP gives you an idea of how big it is. As for weight, damn it's heavy. Heavier than my HRAP for sure.

The cover hatch thing is great. And with the gas strut, it's quite sturdy. A bit awkward to close and open though as the latch is right in the middle but since the cover is large, you have to press on both ends, and that doesn't give it much pressure for the latch to properly connect. But this is a very minor niggle. Also, a little disappointed the gas strut doesn't go "psshhhhhh" like the doors of the DeLorean in BttF :D

Haven't messed with the plexi yet, but once I have the time, that ugly Razer art is going into the trash!

Works great with SSF4AE on PC... need to reassign buttons though. Haven't tried it with my Xbox yet but I don't really have any fighting games on it, only a few shmups... and I'm not touching them while this has a Sanwa JLF in it.

Pardons for the newbie question.:

I have an arcade stick for fighting games (a Mad Catz SSFIV with octagonal gate and a bat stick).

Does anyone make an arcade stick with two sticks and flight-stick type controllers with which you could totally replace a console controller? Each stick would have triggers and buttons that correspond to all console buttons. I'd love to play all games with twin sticks with buttons mapped a la flight-sticks.

Top Bottom