• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS & Wii U Thread 10: Against the Odds, We Choose to Hype!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kjellson

I saw you guys talk about Square characters a couple of pages back while I was sleeping, so I'm a bit late. But what about Terra from Final Fantasy VI?

TerraSprite_zps00ab67f5.png

Square would never agree to that, but the music would be neat.

Axass

Thank you so much Masked Man for doing this!

In that case, you might imagine that a walk-off stage (note: stage in which characters cannot fall to their deaths) would be quite advantageous for such a character. I suppose that would tend to be the case, but there's no such thing as a walk-off stage without platforms or some difference in the level of its terrain.
Eldin Bridge?
Well yeah, it can be destroyed though.

Compared to these two primary concerns, "balance" and "fairness" are afterthoughts. I mean, hasn't Smash Bros. always been that kind of game? You get together with your friends, duke it out and have a good laugh--that's what the game is really about. It's no fun if all the characters are the same.
Shots fired. This sets Sakurai's mentality about Smash into stone.

I'm no competitive player but I tend to disagree: the characters don't have to be the same, but trying to balance them with bonuses and maluses until all are more or less equally good should be one of the main objectives to have a fun game. Even when playing 4vs4 items on.

georly

I saw you guys talk about Square characters a couple of pages back while I was sleeping, so I'm a bit late. But what about Terra from Final Fantasy VI?

We all know that if square got to pick right now, the choice would be 'Lightning' or 'Sora' -or maybe a generic 'Fighter' or Red mage (Robin clone!) class from something like the new 'explorers' game.

Sora is a much better fit, I think, but then you run into Disney licensing issues.

I want Kain Highwind more than anything :(

I'd love Geno, but Square would probably never allow it without sticking Lightning or someone else into the game, and then demanding a ton of money.

Jintor

looks like it's still generating a random... orientation? Angle? at which the model is slamming into the screen and where (hopefully away from the action)

Weekends without the POTD are getting rough man

Son Of D

It's who sakurai would put in, I'm sure. One of the original FF classes/characters, etc. I bet sakurai would even base it off the amano art, because Sakurai is cool like that.

That's how I see it. Maybe do what Dissidia kind of did and make all the original classes (or the more iconic ones) into a single character as franchise representative as opposed to just a single game.

A FF stage would likely be on a generic airship which can cover the Nintendo games. Music would be a bit hard since would Sakurai just focus on songs from FF1? Or would he have a song or 2 from 1-6?

The last 2 images have been really out of place on a week where 2 new characters and a vet were announced. They seem like random filler shots from 2013 and not stuff a month and a half from (Japan) release.

georly

The last 2 images have been really out of place on a week where 2 new characters and a vet were announced. They seem like random filler shots from 2013 and not stuff a month and a half from (Japan) release.

They kinda went all out monday, and then multi-picture update on tue/wed (3 then 2!) with huge explanations. They did all 5 pictures of the week before Wed, so cut them some slack! Heck, they did 5 pictures BY tuesday! We got another 5 after that. 10 pictures this week! And you're upset the last TWO weren't that great? Kinda hard to follow up after mon/tue/wed!

Mon

Tue

Wed

Thu

Fri

Crocodile

Only one piece of music!? This will take some time... I'll give it some thought!

In the meantime, I present Vol. 448 of Sakurai's "Think About the Video Games". Enjoy!

Some interesting quotes in there. To clarify, balance and fairness being "afterthoughts" doesn't mean that he has no concern for them whatsoever; he just sees them as secondary to 1) fun and 2) uniqueness. In spite of being so incredibly detail-oriented, he always seems to be focused on the big picture.
It might also be worth noting that this article was published not long after Little Mac's reveal back in April or so. His comments seem to suggest that he doesn't understand the appeal of the competitive scene, but he wrote this article before the E3 Invitational, which may have changed his mind to some extent.

As always, thanks 1000 times over for your translation. The entire English speaking Smash fanbase appreciates it. However, I think you may have misinterpreted what he said. The only way to have a 100% balanced fighting game is for all the characters to be the same. The more similar they are, the more likely and easier they are to balance. Little Mac represents a bit of a departure from other Smash characters in that he's so "extreme" so to speak. As such, he is harder to balance and has a higher chance of being Top Tier or Bottom Tier than a lot of other characters. Sakurai is more interested in selecting characters with interesting movesets that will "spice up the game" than more pedestrian movesets that are easier to balance. It's part of the reason a game like Marvel vs Capcom 3 has relatively poor balance (Capcom being rushed due to shitty licensing agreements and some degree of ineptitude contribute though :p). When you have characters like Magneto next to Arthur, shit gets crazy.

They kinda went all out monday, and then multi-picture update on tue/wed (3 then 2!) with huge explanations. They did all 5 pictures of the week before Wed, so cut them some slack! Heck, they did 5 pictures BY tuesday! We got another 5 after that. 10 pictures this week! And you're upset the last TWO weren't that great?

We don't have any dailies dedicated to Captain Falcon, and other "minor" stuff like Mii's moveset, taunts, costumes, etc would be more interesting than a picture of a cat from one of the first levels shown and a feature we've known about since E3.

I wouldn't say I'm upset, more it just seems weird to abruptly slow down the new character hype with a picture of a cat.

georly

We don't have any dailies dedicated to Captain Falcon, and other "minor" stuff like Mii's moveset, taunts, costumes, etc would be more interesting than a picture of a cat from one of the first levels shown and a feature we've known about since E3.

I wouldn't say I'm upset, more it just seems weird to abruptly slow down the new character hype with a picture of a cat.

I'm totally willing to forgive the slow thur/fri because mon/tue/wed were so great. The cat is probably one of the lamest pictures we've had to date, but today's picture has never been pointed out in a picture of the day, and the star KO info was new. Anyone who didn't catch any E3 footage might not know about today's update.

JediLink

Sakurai said:
Compared to these two primary concerns, "balance" and "fairness" are afterthoughts. I mean, hasn't Smash Bros. always been that kind of game? You get together with your friends, duke it out and have a good laugh--that's what the game is really about.
...Aaaaaaand faith in Smash 4 officially lost again. Time to start learning Fox, because 20XX is coming.

Jintor

I know Sakurai seems to prefer taking the "Every Stage is Final Destination Skinned" road to For Glory, but is there any potential reason that a 'turn off stage hazards' toggle wouldn't work? Is it too integrated with the way stages look?

JoeInky

balance = every character is the same
fairness = you can't have a laugh with your friends

Oh, Sakurai.

You really are the george lucas of videogames, I guess 4 will actually have some form of quality and craftsmanship compared to the star wars prequels though...

georly

Oh, Sakurai.

You really are the george lucas of videogames.

That's a low blow. Sakurai isn't nearly that bad. I get the analogy you're going for, but unlike star wars, the vocal melee/competitive fanbase is a small minority of its overall audience. If sakurai were george lucas he wouldn't even be TRYING to balance the game.

Golnei

That's a low blow. Sakurai isn't nearly that bad. I get the analogy you're going for, but unlike star wars, the vocal melee/competitive fanbase is a small minority of its overall audience.

And besides, Sakamoto has that position more than filled.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"

Oh, Sakurai.

You really are the george lucas of videogames, I guess 4 will actually have some form of quality and craftsmanship compared to the star wars prequels though...

Hyperbole, right?

Jintor

I would love to know his thoughts on watching the Invitational and, perhaps more specifically, the crowd at the invitational.

Has he ever seen a smash tournie before? I remember some apocropha about him winning a Street Fighter 2 arcade tournament or something

munchie64

Oh, Sakurai.

He didn't say that at all but whatever, insane comparisons will get you noticed so it's cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom