• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS & Wii U Thread 12: Gwah, hah. Welcome to the Bowser's game.

JazzmanZ

my favorite pic of the day

1nPTjLf.png

jnWake

Nice selection so far, two of my faves.

I never used Olimar much in Brawl because I sucked at using his recovery but I love Pikmin so I'll always support him. He looks easier to use in this new version too!

For the new page:
tjqhha.png

Olimar
19th Place (Victory Music!)

Notable Appearences
Pikmin (2001)
Pikmin 2 (2004)
Pikmin 3 (2013)

Bio
Captain Olimar, commonly called Olimar, is the main protagonist of the Pikmin series. He discovered PNF-404 and the Pikmin species. He works at Hocotate Freight and owns and captains his ship, the S.S. Dolphin. When going on a personal vacation, he crash landed on a mysterious that he lated dubbed PNF-404. There, he discovered many strange creatures, most notably the hard working and ever eager to please Pikmin. Utilizing their various abilities, Olimar was able to repair his ship and return home to Hocotate. Olimar has returned to the planet several times for various reasons and seems to be destined to work with these creatures time and time again. While it can be argued he may be sacrificing these Pikmin for less-than-noble goals, Olimar does seem to have a strong bond with the creatures and together, they are quite the powerful team.

What NeoGAF Says

Olimar_Spin_Right_Round_sma.gif

Congrats, Olimar!

That was a comedic day.

I always favored the 'wtf' post of the days, especially when it's something so silly on days pattern seekers expect something major like sleeping Wii Fit Trainer on Pokemon X/Y's release date.

Wish I could find it on mobile, but my fav was the one with Zelda approaching Dedede to squish his nose. It was just so out there and the comments were hilarious.

I'm a little surprised that both Olimar and Yoshi made it into the top 20. I always had the impression that they were less popular characters, perhaps because they're hard to just pick up and play. I hardly ever use either of them.

I'm a little surprised that both Olimar and Yoshi made it into the top 20. I always had the impression that they were less popular characters, perhaps because they're hard to just pick up and play. I hardly ever use either of them.

To be fair, several characters were merged for that poll (the Links, Zelda/Sheik, the Samii), so the list is already quite a bit smaller to begin with.

I'm more surprised by Olimar than by Yoshi, the latter is well-liked among Mario fans.

Jawmuncher

Before I go to bed my favorite Pic though I forgot if it was a POTD.

ZHUnAUi.jpg

All because it looked like snake was at the bottom right outside the ring.
Though it's just little Mac.

J@hranimo

Banned
Interestingly enough, Olimar was NOT a character I expected to like in Brawl. I never fully played through any of the Pikmin games (although I do have Pikmin 3 now and it is quite fun :p) Even though I was really excited for Sonic, I was kinda disappointed in him and really liked Olimar's air game and crazy grabs. He's not as good in Project M unfortunately.

Edit:
screen-2.jpg

Favorite pic from the website. So good.

With Pikmin being one of two series in Smash I've never played (the other being ROB with... uh... Gyromite and Stack-Up), Olimar's always been in a bit of a weird position for me. I definitely respect the way his moveset integrates the series gameplay, but I've never really had particular interest in playing as him.

Man I wonder who was behind Yoshi. Outside of obvious suspects like Dr. Mario and Pichu and such. We'll get runner ups, right?
Yup! All will be revealed on the last reveal day. Though, don't forget Mario and Dr. Mario share a spot. Not saying he's in the top 20, just saying they comes as a pair.

With Pikmin being one of two series in Smash I've never played (the other being ROB with... uh... Gyromite and Stack-Up), Olimar's always been in a bit of a weird position for me. I definitely respect the way his moveset integrates the series gameplay, but I've never really had particular interest in playing as him.
If you have a Wii U you need to play Pikmin 3. It's a fucking masterpiece.

zroid

Banned
Yoshi was one of my most used characters in 64. No idea if he was considered "good" in that game, I just found him fun to play as. That really tailed off in Melee and Brawl, though.

Lunar15

Favorite pic of the day? Why it's this one!

screen-2.jpg

The fact that it's Ike aside, this is just a really badass shot.

It wasn't a pic of the day though, I guess. Just one of the shots released in Ike's update. Does that count?

As much as I'd like that, my dream Mother stage is on top of the Sky Runner while it zips around the various locales of the game, with funny background events like the Happy Happyist cult or the evil Mani Mani.

Dream Earthbound stage: Saturn Valley with Cave of the Past alternate.

Saturn Valley:
- Saturn Valley
- Onett
- Fourside
- Snowman
- Humoresque of a Little Dog

Cave of the Past
- Porky's Theme
- Battle Against a Machine
- Porky Means Business
- Kraken of the Sea
- Roving Tank

Caladrius

^ That pic was adorable.

The TTYD stage pic is probably my favorite.

It was so reassuring to see that the other PM games would finally get their due.

Favorite pic of the day? Why it's this one!

screen-2.jpg

The fact that it's Ike aside, this is just a really badass shot.

It wasn't a pic of the day though, I guess. Just one of the shots released in Ike's update. Does that count?

That one is probably my #2. So good.

Yay! Glad to see Olimar made the list. Great job so far, Oric. These are fun to read.
No worries! I'm having a lot of fun making them.

If you guys have any suggestions of more info I could put in the posts, let me know. I want them to be as interesting as possible (but, also not crazy long).

EulaCapra

Question: anyone know why Eternal Darkness had no presence whatsoever in Brawl? There weren't any legal were there? Or did they just not want to shine any publicity on Silicon Knights?

Accept the challenge, Sakurai!
cQyiBLN.jpg

ionitron

So what's been happening here? There's a "best character" count down?

Sweet.

I have grown to love Olimar a lot, his inclusion being pretty sweet- seeing a new representative of a new series is always exciting to me, and then having such a unique play style also is exceptionally nice. Even better because he's actually pretty good, too, haha.

Pikmin are quite honestly.. probably my favorite Nintendo creatures. ='( Too cute in too many ways. Simple, but quite different.

Masked Man

I said wow

No wonder our fanfic doubles are going to be dating. Best R/S track by far <3

In other news, check out what I got for my birthday!
hSU8yzg.jpg

Any day now, Sakurai...

What a wonderful gift! I saw a similar figurine at Mandarake in Nakano the other day, and I thought about picking it up for myself. I'll have to get one next time! :D

I bought Eathbound a year ago before going to vacation. I stopped playing when I reached
the zombie town
. Not sure if you have played it, but would you recommend me getting back into it?

Definitely. In fact, it only goes up from there!

Thinking on the whole 'streetpass' thing, I'm going to guess that the spinners game I've mentioned before is probably one of the most likely candidates for that. I don't know how involved it'll be seeing as we've literally heard nothing about it except the random clip of it in the 3DS footage but depending on it's design it could work quite well as an asymmetrical multiplayer game :eek:

I couldn't help but notice that there seems to be coins falling from the sky in the top left too :eek:

Question: anyone know why Eternal Darkness had no presence whatsoever in Brawl? There weren't any legal were there? Or did they just not want to shine any publicity on Silicon Knights?

Accept the challenge, Sakurai!
cQyiBLN.jpg
Would all her moves involve the rest of players going insane? Or would she use a combination of magic and shotguns? :p

So what's been happening here? There's a "best character" count down?

Sweet.

I have grown to love Olimar a lot, his inclusion being pretty sweet- seeing a new representative of a new series is always exciting to me, and then having such a unique play style also is exceptionally nice. Even better because he's actually pretty good, too, haha.

Pikmin are quite honestly.. probably my favorite Nintendo creatures. ='( Too cute in too many ways. Simple, but quite different.
I had everyone vote for their top 3 characters for a couple of weeks and am now posting result a day.

Pikmin are one of my favorite creatures to come from Nintendo too. I hope Splatoon is a sign we'll be getting more new Nintendo creature designs soon.

Huh, Olimar? Well, okay. Never been a fan of him in the least, but different strokes and all that. Glad he's already out of the way on the march to the #1 most popular veteran, though. :p

Capcom adds a second Mega Man representative: Zero.

Honestly, Zero's basically more popular than Mega Man if you ask me.

Ugh, gag me. Nothing would kill my hype faster than Zero being added to the roster. Not that Zero isn't cool, but he's incredibly overexposed and he's taken the spotlight away from the real hero for way too many years.

Honestly, the best part of Mega Man's Final Smash reveal for me (other than the hype of of the FS itself) was Sakurai showing he had done his research enough to know that Zero is in no way a Mega Man. Even Shooting Star Mega Man got priority over him -- love it. <3

Yeah, as an X fan (as in X the character), I'm bitter. :p Seriously, though, Zero is having his time in MvC 3 and that's all well and good. He's a really cool character, all told. But Zero really doesn't belong in Smash; especially in terms of being a third-party character, he's nowhere near the kind of gaming icon that Mega Man is and he doesn't have the gaming legacy or history with Nintendo to really be appropriate for Smash, at least in a playable form.

He'll make for a neat trophy, though. ;)

screen-2.jpg

Favorite pic from the website. So good.

Yep, throw in a vote for this one from me as well. Definitely my favorite pic of the day, with the pic of the four of them posing next to one another a close second. I so wish I could go back in time and show these pictures to my eight-year-old self. Seeing the four of them together in one game never stops being an awesome, incredibly special feeling, no matter how many times I see it.

Richie

On the topic of PotD, what are your favorite daily pics already shown SmashGAF?

For me, this one:

That's a great choice. -The- photo for Mario to put on his album at the end of the day.

I'd have to think it through to really determine what's my favorite, but always did like the sillyness of this one:

B2b0NJi.jpg

Thinking of it, Toon Link and DK make a damn fine slapstick duo.

large.jpg

JediLink

If Zero were in Smash 4, you all know he'd be the new Meta Knight. That guy has a bears a charmed life that will never allow him to be below top-tier in a fighting game.

Meanwhile Mega Man has a curse to always be low-tier.

Top Bottom