• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS & Wii U Thread 14: Snake... had a hard life

Status
Not open for further replies.

NeonZ

So the numbering clearly has nothing to do with the arrangement of the roster, as Luigi wouldn't be down at #9 if it did. It's probably nothing more than this:

The numbering seems to be the 40 officially revealed characters, arranged by game added, unlockable or starter status in their original game and finally series. So, Luigi is 9 because he was an unlockable in the original SSB, coming after the original 8, but before Melee starters.

Then for the WiiU/3ds characters themselves, we have third parties after everything else besides the Miis, and finally the Miis listed after everything else. This would suggest that Lucina is a starter, after all, considering how she's listed before Shulk...

Man God

Non-Canon Member
The combat in Xenoblade is a dead simple version of what you'd find in most MMOs with the added twist of the most effective method of both crowd control and damage escalation being the whole break>topple>daze system, but what really makes it is the forewarning system and how the chain attack gauge builds and how skills feed into that system.

FF XIII tries something similar with its launches and it just feels boring in comparison.

I almost always fought with Shulk. Except the fight against the assassins and that one battle near the end where I used Melia (people who've beat Xenoblade should know what I'm referring to)

Blizzard

Banned
The usual purpose of an embargo is to give the various press outlets time to mull over what they've seen and write their reviews to a decent standard before the embargo ends, rather than just having them all rush out a story ASAP to be the first to get the news out. Admittedly, 2 weeks of embargo seems a bit much though... but then again I've never worked a press job so I might be underestimating how long a nicely polished piece takes to write and edit to a perfect lustre
This can't be a "review" though, since even if the final, English-language version was there, the press would not have had enough individual time to make a decent review. Either review copies or normal release copies will presumably be the base of reviews, as with virtually every other game that I'm aware of.

The NDA, as far as I know, expires around the Japanese release.

It's almost certainly so they can have final build impressions ready when the game information comes out from the game's release in Japan. It's basically them saying "People are going to find out, anyway, we should have some positive buzz to distract from the delay."

This is pretty standard and it's even more common for Nintendo than anyone else. Sometimes games that get announced at Nintendo Directs have had entire press events dedicated to them weeks prior. This one just happened to be at PAX because people were at PAX.

Quite likely fake, and someone else said the person who made the PAX note list admitted it was fake, which may be true.

The point is, I can't seem to come up with any reasonable explanations for why Nintendo had the NDA'd press event. Neither can anyone else apparently -- no one even replied to my post about it. :p

Does anyone have a better explanation? Am I missing something obvious?
I don't have anything to add (I think DLC might have been mentioned), but Ash said the NDA ends with the Japanese release.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I almost always fought with Shulk. Except the fight against the assassins and that one battle near the end where I used Melia (people who've beat Xenoblade should know what I'm referring to)

It's also the best time to use Sharla again. Hell if you want to do a lot of the end game extra content the best party while still underleveled is Melia/Sharla/Riki because ether is far more accurate.

Blizzard

Banned
The NDA, as far as I know, expires around the Japanese release.

It's almost certainly so they can have final build impressions ready when the game information comes out from the game's release in Japan. It's basically them saying "People are going to find out, anyway, we should have some positive buzz to distract from the delay."

This is pretty standard and it's even more common for Nintendo than anyone else. Sometimes games that get announced at Nintendo Directs have had entire press events dedicated to them weeks prior. This one just happened to be at PAX because people were at PAX.
That might make sense. So the idea would be to have a bunch of good English-language news even though no one will get to play it in English for another 2+ weeks?

While I liked Melia and actively played as her for most of the game (where possible) you can't really have her in your party if you're not the one controlling her because the AI flat out doesn't know how to play her :p

Then again, It's rare for me to find any game where the friendly AI doesn't end up feeling like a burden to me somewhere along the journey (dear Xenoblade characters, please stop standing in the acid pools during that boss fight, for the love of heck)

She's your summoner. She summons so you don't have to!

AI Melia is dumb as a sack of potatoes

If you know how to use her (which is mostly easy), she can do crazy amounts of damage that isn't limited by level. So, with Riki and Sharla healing her, she can take on +100 monsters at 70-80.

But AI Melia is like a drunken baby holding a pistol.

Vuapol

That might make sense. So the idea would be to have a bunch of good English-language news even though no one will get to play it in English for another 2+ weeks?

That's the only thing I can think of. An extra little boost of hype before the train pulls into the station.

Jawmuncher

Im playing Xeno right now and I just got to the 3rd boss.
Mech in the caves. Where you have to inflict break to do damage.
So hard. Broke him hit him once and he got back up.
Then he just wails on me as I try to get my bar back up.

Man God

Non-Canon Member

If you know how to use her (which is mostly easy), she can do crazy amounts of damage that isn't limited by level. So, with Riki and Sharla healing her, she can take on +100 monsters at 70-80.

Drunken baby might do some damage to the enemy with that pistol though. AI Melia is worthless.

I'll buy two copies of Xenoblade 3DS if they fix it!

I'll buy two copies regardless.

Sorry, that was a (poor) reference to last night's Doctor Who.

An important note is a lot of Xenoblade bosses are easier than they appear because you don't actually have to get their hp bar down to zero. Though there are obviously exceptions

Yes. Nintendo does this frequently. Their review embargoes expire weeks before games release. MK8's was two weeks before release, if I recall correctly, and reviewers had it for a month prior to that. Someone on twitter told me the other day that his place of work received a Bayonetta 2 review copy already.

I imagine it makes more sense to just do this at PAX instead of renting a venue in Seattle, anyway, hauling the demo stations over there, and asking a bunch of people tired from PAX to get impressions up a week or two.

Kinsei

Banned

Xord?
I love that guy. He's one of my favorite bosses in the game.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Everyone is fun to play as in Xenoblade. Even Sharla. She's hindered by her dump overheat mechanic (they should have made overheat her dps only mode, no ether attacks at all but crazy gun damage or something) but she's still fun to use especially in a party with one of the tanks. It's just that she's not ideal and rarely needed for her role.

SmashIRC's Zora found something interesting.

Apparently characters are assigned with the numbers. Take a look at red dot with white font in.

Ike being assigned with number 19.

Shulk being assigned with number 34.

Might have been pointed out, but I think those might be the ad's number in the series? Maybe. The Station name is right below it in the white box on each poster.

Everyone is fun to play as in Xenoblade. Even Sharla. She's hindered by her dump overheat mechanic (they should have made overheat her dps only mode, no ether attacks at all but crazy gun damage or something) but she's still fun to use especially in a party with one of the tanks. It's just that she's not ideal and rarely needed for her role.

Yeah, by end game in my first playthrough I had learned that I didn't need her. I really only used her for the one boss I mentioned earlier and that random sub-boss in the last dungeon that I think did all 3 kinds of spike damage

Kinsei

Banned
Is there really a point to spoilering that name? It means nothing out of context and Xord is clearly an enemy when you meet him. Hell he even showed up in the preorder artbook

Desiree tells you that Xord was her father if you talk to her after a certain point in the game. I can't quite remember if it is before or after the fight, so I spoilered it just in case.

I don't remember too much about the
Xord
encounter, though I was playing Sharla at the time. I just let AI Reyn handle the topple while AI shulk did the break stuff. I might've contributed to the breaking with Sharla but I honestly don't remember if you have her break-causing ability by that point or not XD

One general piece of Xenoblade advice I learned the hard way is to not bother too much with the AI commands: they tend to break the tanks. You're better just leaving the AI to it's default behaviour where possible or the aggro just won't work right :p

While I did enjoy Melia, I really wanted to play as 7 but I just ended up generating far too much aggro even when I took it slow and with a Reyn and Dunban team in support. In the end I had to leave it to the AI because it was 'inefficient' enough to not rip all the monsters off everyone with a few swings XD

Neiteio

You guys convinced me. Ran out to Gamestop, got it "pre-owned," but it's practically brand-new, and less than $50. Pulled from the pocket dimension inside that one drawer to the right of the cashier that seems to somehow contain copies of every game ever.

100_191360rkr.jpg

Man God

Non-Canon Member
CHARACTER REDACTED works best as an AI in a party with Dunban or Reyn, who can easily rip the aggro back to themselves. Aggro down gems do work as well. CHARACTER REDACTED can also be built in a way to be almost as good of an evasion tank as Dunban and then it's just unfair.

You guys convinced me. Ran out to Gamestop, got it "pre-owned," but it's practically brand-new, and less than $50. Pulled from the pocket dimension inside that one drawer to the right of the cashier that seems to somehow contain copies of every game ever.

100_191360rkr.jpg
Mission accomplished

Ceravic

100_191360rkr.jpg

This game is double D's.

HF2014

Question. Any know if it will have wii remote with nunchuk or without nunchuk support? Will grab it for the kids and wondering if we will be able to use all our wii remote in the house.

Thanks

100_191360rkr.jpg
It's a full barrel of tits, my friend. Enjoy!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom