• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS & Wii U Thread 14: Snake... had a hard life

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got her... and... who does she replace? Sharla?

I like the tank + healer + dps combo, since you can only have 3, and dunban/reyn fill the tank role, sharla fills the healer role... she seems to be a bit lackluster in healing. She has one AOE HoT right now... is that enough?

I'm about to get riki... what role does he fill?

You don't need a healer.

If you really need heals, Riki is more than enough, and he can also deal plenty of damage while sponging a few hits in an emergency (don't expect him to hold aggro though).

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
http://smashboards.com/threads/canc...eling-also-di-confirmed-hands-on-edit.366133/
birui.gif

Quick update on the lag cancel thing. The OP is saying that he is 100% sure that he was eliminating the landing lag by doing an input during it, and this shows that it's been a thing since at least the latest build with Pac Man (actually, didn't someone here also noticed this? I forget who it was)

Someone did. It was pretty cool. I really hope that it would be in final version.

georly

You don't need a healer.

If you really need heals, Riki is more than enough, and he can also deal plenty of damage while sponging a few hits in an emergency (don't expect him to hold aggro though).

Well, I feel like I really need a tank, and early on I definitely needed the heals. Dunban + monado speed means he barely gets hit though.

What's a good endgame party? Like I said, i'm at the point where the nopon village chief says to meet riki, so i saved and quit there... so who do I use in my party? What do you recommend?

http://smashboards.com/threads/canc...eling-also-di-confirmed-hands-on-edit.366133/
birui.gif

Quick update on the lag cancel thing. The OP is saying that he is 100% sure that he was eliminating the landing lag by doing an input during it, and this shows that it's been a thing since at least the latest build with Pac Man (actually, didn't someone here also noticed this? I forget who it was)

I watched the entire 3DS tournament yesterday, and the Nintendo reps suggested that alot of chacters actually may have landing lag cancelling, but charcters with really powerful aerials (Bowsers down b, Link/YL's down b) do not because they are using an extremely powerful attack. Sakurai may have gone through and handled cancelling on a case by case basis for each character. OR *gasp* it could just be because the game isn't done yet. I think alot of people complaining about the fighting mechanics are going to be eating crow very soon. Of course, when this happens, the fallen angel Lord Sakurai will once again ascend to the level development of god status once again! *rolls eyes*

(mat)

Asked this several pages back, but it seems to have been buried.

Any news on "Tournament Mode" making a return? I'm not completely caught up on info at the moment, and I always liked doing little tourneys.

JCX

You don't need a healer.

Yeah, this is one of the things that throws me the most in Xenoblade. I just beat
Mumkar in the ice mountain
by just keeping him toppled/dazed, then chain attacking when possible.

Greenzxy

birui.gif

I don't know, it still just looks like a regular Auto-cancel to me. Mario in general seems a lot faster compared to other brawl veterans, so that could probably be one of the reasons. I doubt you would be able to do something like this with any other aerial unless it auto-cancels.

random25

I just got her... and... who does she replace? Sharla?

I like the tank + healer + dps combo, since you can only have 3, and dunban/reyn fill the tank role, sharla fills the healer role... she seems to be a bit lackluster in healing. She has one AOE HoT right now... is that enough?

I'm about to get riki... what role does he fill?

Go with Melia as your DPS machine. Main her as she is better played than cpu controlled. Riki is an all-around guy, can easily replace Sharla because he is also a great healer while has a lot of tricks.

Can anyone reccomend some general Smash tutorial videos? I haven't played seriously since I was 9. I am interested in getting the general mechanics down now so that once the game launches I can focus more on learning the characters. Sorry for kind of being a scrub, but I gotta refresh my memory.

georly

I watched the entire 3DS tournament yesterday, and the Nintendo reps basically said that alot of chacters actually do have landing lag cancelling, but charcters with really powerful aerials (Bowsers down b, Link/YL's down b) do not because they are using an extremely powerful attack. Sakurai may have gone through and handled cancelling on a case by case basis for each character. OR *gasp* it could just be because the game isn't done yet. I think alot of people complaining about the fighting mechanics are going to be eating crow very soon. Of course, when this happens, the fallen angel Lord Sakurai will once again ascend to the level development of god status once again! *rolls eyes*

Of course, I don't expect every aerial to be lag-free once landing, it's just jarring to have certain aerials like link's N-Air to cause me to lag just as bad as his D-Air did before. I'm used to doing a short hop n air or b air w/ link/toon link and landing and being able to freely move, but that wasn't the case in the demo.

Giving me the option to roll/attack/etc out of it almost changes the high-level game completely. It's almost the same as when you grab a ledge. You know what your opponent's options are, they can either jump, roll, or attack on to the stage. Seems the same w/ landing from a missed aerial.

Go with Melia as your DPS machine. Main her as she is better played than cpu controlled. Riki is an all-around guy, can easily replace Sharla because he is also a great healer while has a lot of tricks.

Then who is tank? I assume I need shulk in my party for monado buffs, no? If i'm not playing as shulk do I still get visions?

Loco4Coco

Asked this several pages back, but it seems to have been buried.

Any news on "Tournament Mode" making a return? I'm not completely caught up on info at the moment, and I always liked doing little tourneys.

As far as I know not yet. There is still alot we don't know about this game yet.

Well, I feel like I really need a tank, and early on I definitely needed the heals. Dunban + monado speed means he barely gets hit though.

What's a good endgame party? Like I said, i'm at the point where the nopon village chief says to meet riki, so i saved and quit there... so who do I use in my party? What do you recommend?

You really don't need heals, the only reason you needed them earlygame was because you didn't have a 3rd member in your party to turn to for more damage.

also a good midgame (you're nowhere near endgame dude) is Shulk/Dunban/Riki or something like that

Veeboy

For the upcoming boss I'd recommend Riki, Melia, and Shulk since they all have ether attacks hitch are more accurate than physical attacks and accuracy matters during that fight.

Dunban, Reyn, and Seven all make pretty decent tanks in different ways. Given enough agility boost Dunban dodges everything. Reyn can take hits with boosts to defense and hp.

The only time you'll really need sharla is during som boss fights and unique enemies. If you're n a situation and the problem is you are running out of hp too fast, and it's not a problem with your set up then call in sharia. I found her to come in handy whenever I encountered enemies with large amounts of spike damage for example.

while at the gas station getting some Cherry Coke I had the BEST idea for a unique mode for the Wii U version, to match Smash Run

Smash Party

• Like Mario Party
  • Choose a character
  • Go around a board
  • Instead of mini-games, there's special event matches
  • Instead of coins and stars, there's the character upgrades
  • Finish off with a huge couch-shattering battle

Event matches can be everything from regular matches to coin matches to 1GIANTv3TINY to summon the most Pokémon to break the targets to *drumroll* boss events (where one player would control a boss with the gamepad).
After a match, the winner is showered with upgrades.
BOWSER TIME MASTER HAND TIME switch upgrades with another player and other shenanigans.
You could get items from the board too (giving yourself an edge by starting a match with a baseball bat or bunny ears).
People with too many upgrades start losing because they overshoot everything and similar hilarity.

LordKnowsIdSmash.png

Similar ideas have already been thrown around in here, but it's a pretty awesome idea nonetheless.

georly

You really don't need heals, the only reason you needed them earlygame was because you didn't have a 3rd member to your party to turn to for more damage.

also a good midgame (you're nowhere near endgame dude) is Shulk/Dunban/Riki or something like that

Well, yes, I know i'm not near endgame, but I'd like to... build toward that :)

Haven't been paying attention, but do party members level when you don't use them?

One of my main problems with this game is that I love all the party members, story-wise, so I want them ALL in my party, but the game only lets you have 3. I've never been a fan of rotating out members from fight to fight or boss to boss, unless it's a built-in mechanic, like in FFX. I like 'picking my mains' and then mastering them.

For the upcoming boss I'd recommend Riki, Melia, and Shulk since they all have ether attacks hitch are more accurate than physical attacks and accuracy matters during that fight.

Dunban, Reyn, and Seven all make pretty decent tanks in different ways. Given enough agility boost Dunban dodges everything. Reyn can take hits with boosts to defense and hp.

The only time you'll really need sharla is during som boss fights and unique enemies. If you're n a situation and the problem is you are running out of hp too fast, and it's not a problem with your set up then call in sharia. I found her to come in handy whenever I encountered enemies with large amounts of spike damage for example.

Good to know, thanks! I'm enjoying it so far. I'm at the same point I was last time I played, so this is the furthest i've ever been. Last time I did more questing though, so that was at the 25-30 hour mark. I made it to the same point in 10 this time.

SoldnerKei

birui.gif

wasn't previously stated that mario Bair was almost lagless unpon landing in this game?

well, I dunno, since by just looking at some data on smashboards, the attack should take a bit longer to recover

Smash Wii U vs Melee Comparison for Mario
Back Air: 12 vs 15. Smash 4 is faster.

in melee, L-cancel gives you 7f of landing lag

Source

Moonlight

Banned
That lag cancel thread went downhill fast. It seemed promising, oh well.

There will be a party member you get later who is the best. Them and Dunban are the only characters you need, but I was fine with Riki (and Dunban) here.

For #TeamMore

This leak was before Ninka/Vaanrose came forward with their information(Thanks StrangeMann from the smashboard)

Now this my translation about this leak
1) cut and replace

2)Characters from the starter and unlockable

-I'm not sure about snake, so it could be removed and change with the Chorus kids(we don't know how old were these informations).
-I dunno why "C"(for captain falcon I guess) is in the unlockable section.

But with all informations we've got since the beginning and with the accurate leak, it could be end like this(I hope so lol).

Veeboy

Well, yes, I know i'm not near endgame, but I'd like to... build toward that :)

Haven't been paying attention, but do party members level when you don't use them?

One of my main problems with this game is that I love all the party members, story-wise, so I want them ALL in my party, but the game only lets you have 3. I've never been a fan of rotating out members from fight to fight or boss to boss, unless it's a built-in mechanic, like in FFX. I like 'picking my mains' and then mastering them.

Good to know, thanks! I'm enjoying it so far. I'm at the same point I was last time I played, so this is the furthest i've ever been. Last time I did more questing though, so that was at the 25-30 hour mark. I made it to the same point in 10 this time.
The only thing I could suggest is that you DO need a tank and you have 3 good ones to work with (Reyn, Dunban, seven) see how they play out and which ones style you prefer. However all party members have uses. It's just some, like sharla, are limited to more unique situations than others.

Also, yes everyone levels in all ways except affinity even when not in battle.

Favorite stages so far:

3DS: Either Prism Tower or Rainbow Road. Both look fantastic with the 3D on, have great music, and Rainbow Road has light hazards that are fun to anticipate and fight around.

Wii U: Pilotwings. A fun, straightforward stage with beautiful, dynamic visuals and a great sense of motion.

Hell yeah, finally! My boy (Man)! Ten days!

SoldnerKei

damn, one dude on the same smashboards thread of the mario gif pointed out this

iMetCwxJ57Bi5.gif

I am using the gif on IntelliHeath's leak thread, but you can see it just as it begins

Lucina does Neutral Air, and Standard attack as soon as she lands

thou we have seen in her reveal that her Nair has less lag, who knows

For #TeamMore

This leak was before Ninka/Vaanrose came forward with their information(Thanks StrangeMann from the smashboard)

1) cut and replace

-I'm not sure about snake, so it could be removed and change with the Chorus kids(we don't know how old were these informations).

But with all informations we've got since the beginning and with the accurate leak, it could be end like this(I hope so lol).

If thats true, holy shit. I would be so happy.

Ridley my love <3

For #TeamMore

1) cut and replace

Cutting Ice Climbers? I don't want to believe.

Probably true... #teammore

georly

The only thing I could suggest is that you DO need a tank and you have 3 good ones to work with (Reyn, Dunban, seven) see how they play out and which ones style you prefer. However all party members have uses. It's just some, like sharla, are limited to more unique situations than others.

Also, yes everyone levels in all ways except affinity even when not in battle.

Good to know, but thanks for the spoiler! :p

No idea who seven is. I legitimately thought riki was my last party member.

Not a huge deal, don't worry about it.

Blizzard

Banned
I'm wondering what the press saw at PAX private event that needed an embargo to be revealed. It's probably more than just the charater roster. I'm guessing they probably tried out Smash using the New 3DS.
I offered some ideas and asked about this a few days ago, and the best idea that was suggested was that Nintendo does this to get a little extra positive North American press right before the Japanese release for a game, even though the North American release will not be for another few weeks. PAX was a convenient place to do it, and I guess the embargo gives them extra time to all write articles while also not revealing the roster.

Greenzxy

damn, one dude on the same smashboards thread of the mario gif pointed out this

iMetCwxJ57Bi5.gif

I am using the gif on IntelliHeath's leak thread, but you can see it just as it begins

Lucina does Neutral Air, and Standard attack as soon as she lands

thou we have seen in her reveal that her Nair has less lag, who knows

Lucina was doing a Fair in the longer gif. You can do the same exact thing with Marth in brawl if you auto-cancel the aerial into u-tilt properly.

Good to know, but thanks for the spoiler! :p

No idea who seven is. I legitimately thought riki was my last party member.

Not a huge deal, don't worry about it.
Given that even with the 6 you'll still find heart to hearts that can't be viewed due to lacking a character, and the fact that there is still room on the character screen, wouldn't call it too huge a spoiler with that alone

Frolow

Banned
For #TeamMore

1) cut and replace

This contradicts the starting roster though
smash-bros-3ds-starting-roster-656x789.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom