• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS & Wii U Thread 14: Snake... had a hard life

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sakurai showed him and said "there are other boss characters" or something like that. It's in the direct :)

It was also repeated in a recent magazine, but I honestly don't know how much extra info they have (although they did reveal other new stuff, like Kirby's new color).

Yeah this is basically it.

You don't see people with this sort of denial about trophies when they're shown(rip Krystal), but show Ridley's shadow with a VoiceOver about boss characters and people go straight into NOT DEAD UNTIL WE SEE THE CORPSE mode.

I'm bored, so I'll entertain y'all.

Show me confirmation he is a boss. So many assumptions. Just a few months ago, so many characters had "no chance".

It's not a final confirmation, but I'd say this is compelling evidence:

The only alternate explanation I can think of is that this is teasing Meta Ridley as the boss on Pyrosphere, while regular Ridley is on the roster.

They also didn't do a closed media event for Smash at those events as far as I know. Also there isn't much time left to announce characters.

True. I think it would make more sense to reveal characters in the inevitable Smash Direct, but, as the Pac Man reveal showed, Nintendo isn't averse to revealing characters at closed events.

Get ready for DHD at PAX.

Jaeger

Sakurai showed him and said "there are other boss characters" or something like that. It's in the direct :)

It was also repeated in a recent magazine, but I honestly don't know how much extra info they have (although they did reveal other new stuff, like Kirby's new color).

Technically they said heavily implied not confirmed, which is true based on comments Sakurai has made.

Yes. Japanese only so far so keep expectations in check.

Yeah this is basically it.

You don't see people with this sort of denial about trophies when they're shown(rip Krystal), but show Ridley's shadow with a VoiceOver about boss characters and people go straight into NOT DEAD UNTIL WE SEE THE CORPSE mode.

Yea. Everyone knows about that.

My point, that I am now making is why do y'all care so much about what others want to believe?

Post-15337-Christian-Bale-confused-gif-Hje6.gif

JoeInky

I think it's silly to say the ambiguous Ridley reveal is anything on the same level as every other popular character disconfirmation where their role in the game was stated clearly without any room for interpretation.

munchie64

This is exactly like when Sakurai showed that Palutena statue and everyone was still saying she'd be playable. How wrong they were...

While we're being crazy, we totally don't know the final roster yet guys.

The only alternate explanation I can think of is that this is teasing Meta Ridley as the boss on Pyrosphere, while regular Ridley is on the roster.
Or Sakurai was just being a troll by implying Ridley is a boss but didn't show him because he's actually a playable character.

They also didn't do a closed media event for Smash at those events as far as I know. Also there isn't much time left to announce characters.

The "closed media event" at E3 revealed Pac-Man, which quickly blew up all over the internet. So it's safe to say we're in for a character reveal tomorrow (through people at the event & Nintendo if they're feeling generous)

Jaeger

I think it's silly to say the ambiguous Ridley reveal is anything on the same level as every other popular character disconfirmation where their role in the game was stated clearly without any room for interpretation.

SmashGAF being SmashGAF.

i distinctly remember that trophy due to it causing me to make a fool out of myself, and the trailer it was in was being played on a display station for the game in a store in japan, if i recall

so we've seen it before, just not direct feed

I think it was I'm a short video from E3's show floor or something. People thought it was a new stage until they took a closer look. Absolutely been seen before either way.

Exactly. Sakurai is either teasing Ridley as a playable character or he's a boss and he isn't showing him because he feels like fucking with all the people that want him.

Which raises a pretty big question: why would Sakurai tease Ridley being a boss without actually showing him? Ridley was already a boss - twice, even - in Brawl. Teasing him being a boss with a shadow would be like if he had "confirmed" Waluigi's Assist Trophy by saying "other fan-favorite characters can appear as Assist Trophies, too!" while showing Waluigi's shadow without actually showing the character. It doesn't make sense and only serves to generate negative hype if Ridley eventually is revealed to just be a boss character.

Sakurai knows peoples' expectations and likes to twist them - in the same Direct he teased people who thought Palutena would be playable through the Psuedo-Palutena trophy. I would be extremely surprised if Ridley ends up just being a boss in the final game, as it wouldn't match well with how Sakurai always reveals how characters are appearing in Smash.

JoeInky

A stage set on top of a Steel Diver submarine in the middle of an ocean would have been so cool.

And then every now and then it dives below the surface and everyone has low gravity.

The submarine would change angle and if Sakurai wanted to make it a #banned stage then other submarines could have fired at it when it's below water or battleships could have shelled it whilst it was on the surface.

JoeInky

Exactly. Sakurai is either teasing Ridley as a playable character or he's a boss and he isn't showing him because he feels like fucking with all the people that want him.

I'd believe that if we didn't have quotes for Sakurai saying that he doesn't like fucking with people who want a character by teasing it because nobody comes out of that happy.

If the original video was meant to be a deconfirmation, he would have clarified it by now once the internet started to take it as even more proof that he was playable.

SuperSah

Banned
A stage set on top of a Steel Diver submarine in the middle of an ocean would have been so cool.

And then every now and then it dives below the surface and everyone has low gravity.

The submarine would change angle and if Sakurai wanted to make it a #banned stage then other submarines could have fired at it when it's below water or battleships could have shelled it whilst it was on the surface.

That is an idea I can get behind.

He was teasing Ridley as a boss to get people excited about Ridley as a boss, he doesn't troll anyone about things. He doesn't lie and he doesn't purposefully mislead. It was a tease of boss Ridley and that's all.

People can believe what they want but if that tease had been for anyone other than Ridley you would never see people react like this.

Jaeger

He was teasing Ridley as a boss to get people excited about Ridley as a boss, he doesn't troll anyone about things. He doesn't lie and he doesn't purposefully mislead. It was a tease of boss Ridley and that's all.

People can believe what they want but if that tease had been for anyone other than Ridley you would never see people react like this.

I'd like you to answer my question.

JoeInky

Why is Ridley handled so much differently than every other fan-favourite character then?

Why was there no "Just to confirm, Ridley appears as a stage boss" post that clearly states it quickly like with every other character?

"Other boss characters appear" means nothing because although a stage boss is a boss character, a boss character isn't necessarily a stage boss (see Bowser, Dedede, Bowser jr. these are all "boss characters").

It's ambiguous, and ambiguity goes against what he's go on record saying and it goes against his actions with every other character in the game. The only ones that have had any amount of teasing or ambiguity have ended up playable (Palutena, Dark Pit, G&W... Metaknight if you have the opinion that Georly mentioned earlier).

Zubz

Banned
Headed to PAX! I don't know when exactly it is, but I can confirm that Nintendo is holding a closed media event for Smash 3DS with a new (final?) build of the game, and both Andre and I will be attending for GameXplain. I'll bring you all the news and impressions I'm legally allowed to here (depending on NDAs) and we'll of course be recording discussions if we're allowed, so stay tuned!

Awesome! Blink once if they NDA over something cool, or twice if they don't!
Of course, here, 2 blinks would equal "very cool."

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
That ain't what was going on, at all, and you know that.
Well that's from my personal perspective. My opinion on Ridley being playable or not is non-existent since I don't really have any feelings for the character. However I do enjoy a good R2B joke now and then. That's all I can really say on the matter. I can't speak on the behalf of others.

Though it does seem that when it comes to Ridley emotions run higher than with other characters.

Yea. Everyone knows about that.

My point, that I am now making is why do y'all care so much about what others want to believe?

Post-15337-Christian-Bale-confused-gif-Hje6.gif
I don't really, I'd just say he probably doesn't have a great chance. Feel free to believe what you want, I just want to clarify for people who might not know, don't want them to get the wrong impression.

The Adder

Banned
I keep seeing people be like "Sakurai is known for trolling!" but he never did anything other than that Zero Suit Samus thing. Y'all are just convincing yourselves he's teasing things or implying things when he never is.

Doing stuff like going "Waluigi is an assist trophy, he is not playable" is disappointing but it's not some sort of misdirection.

He showed Ridley in the context of being a boss fight, so Ridley is going to be a boss fight. He was teasing Ridley as a boss fight. He wasn't doing some crazy mindgame where he implies Ridley is a boss to throw you off the trail so he can troll you or trick you or something.

Ridley is just going to be a boss, like he has already said.

Are you avatar bet sure?

johnbone

Which raises a pretty big question: why would Sakurai tease Ridley being a boss without actually showing him? Ridley was already a boss - twice, even - in Brawl. Teasing him being a boss with a shadow would be like if he had "confirmed" Waluigi's Assist Trophy by saying "other fan-favorite characters can appear as Assist Trophies, too!" while showing Waluigi's shadow without actually showing the character. It doesn't make sense and only serves to generate negative hype if Ridley eventually is revealed to just be a boss character.

Sakurai knows peoples' expectations and likes to twist them - in the same Direct he teased people who thought Palutena would be playable through the Psuedo-Palutena trophy. I would be extremely surprised if Ridley ends up just being a boss in the final game, as it wouldn't match well with how Sakurai always reveals how characters are appearing in Smash.

Obviously, Sakurai is just so sick of people talking about Ridley that he is purposely trolling fans......by not trolling!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom