• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS & Wii U Thread 14: Snake... had a hard life

Status
Not open for further replies.
He was teasing Ridley as a boss to get people excited about Ridley as a boss, he doesn't troll anyone about things. He doesn't lie and he doesn't purposefully mislead. It was a tease of boss Ridley and that's all.

People can believe what they want but if that tease had been for anyone other than Ridley you would never see people react like this.
Except he never teases bosses and there is no reason to tease a boss that was already a boss in the previous game, especially if it is one of the most requested characters. The internet exploaded with people questioning if this meant Ridley was playable and Sakurai has done nothing to change that in the months since. If Ridley isn't playable and Sakurai isn't trolling then there has to be something special about him as a boss because there is no way he didn't see that response coming.
I don't personally think Ridley will be playable, but I think it's annoying that people are acting like Ridley has actually been confirmed as a boss. Just let people have fun with speculation.

JCX

For DLC, it would be even cooler if some of the assist trophies could be converted to full characters. They already have models, which I'd assume would make the transition easier.

Jawmuncher

If we got Anthony over Ridley somehow.
The meltdown would be great.
Besides that though Anthony is one swood guy. My favorite part of Other M.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Which raises a pretty big question: why would Sakurai tease Ridley being a boss without actually showing him? Ridley was already a boss - twice, even - in Brawl. Teasing him being a boss with a shadow would be like if he had "confirmed" Waluigi's Assist Trophy by saying "other fan-favorite characters can appear as Assist Trophies, too!" while showing Waluigi's shadow without actually showing the character. It doesn't make sense and only serves to generate negative hype if Ridley eventually is revealed to just be a boss character.

Sakurai knows peoples' expectations and likes to twist them - in the same Direct he teased people who thought Palutena would be playable through the Psuedo-Palutena trophy. I would be extremely surprised if Ridley ends up just being a boss in the final game, as it wouldn't match well with how Sakurai always reveals how characters are appearing in Smash.
Simple. That segment was about the Yellow Devil (it was even named as such) however he wanted to state that Yellow Devil wasn't a unique feature to the Mega Man stage and to expect similar boss mechanics on other stages. However like many things in Smash, Sakurai chose only to only tease this information. This isn't unique to Ridley, there's lots of things we've only seen snatches of only to be told more info is to come.

Ridley however is unique, much like you said, he has already been a boss in a previous Smash, therefore he is a perfect example to hint towards other bosses without revealing them before Sakurai wants to do so. We see Ridley's shadow, we instantly know who it is without over analysing the scene and we can get a vague idea of how he works from previous experience. Boom. The tease informs the viewer all they need to know, expect more bosses and here's an example that you may already know but I don't want to go into now.

As for why Ridley's still not shown is anyone's guess. Yoshi was held back because of his design. Wario is still MIA despite being one of the first reveals for Brawl.

But, honestly, keep expectations in check. If Ridley turns out to be a boss and you expect him to be a boss you're going to be less hurt then if you expected him to be a playable character because we were all part of a cryptic puzzle game.

Galang

Banned
For DLC, it would be even cooler if some of the assist trophies could be converted to full characters. They already have models, which I'd assume would make the transition easier.

That would be nice. The assist trophies this time seem like good candidates. Hopefully Saki takes his rightful place on the roster if they did this

Boem

So I checked the eShop and I think it is a new trailer, but it doesn't really show anything new. Just seems like a quick rundown of the game.

I think there's a Steel Diver stage at the end? Not sure if that stage was confirmed already, but I didn't know about it.

emb

If we got Anthony over Ridley somehow.
The meltdown would be great.
Besides that though Anthony is one swood guy. My favorite part of Other M.
When I read that I thought you were suggesting Anth0ny for Smash for a second. 0_o

The salt would be amazing. I'd just spam his 'remember me' taunt all the time.

Crocodile

Ridley seems like the ideal type of character to withhold from the initial release but put in a DLC character pack to prompt purchases. Just sayin'

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Ridley has been one of the most requested characters since Brawl and he was two bosses in Brawl. Sakurai knows that Smash fans know who he is.
Is there evidence of this out of curiosity. Most polls we've seen are usually only from a Japanese perspective and he hardly ever appears on those.

Jawmuncher

When I read that I thought you were suggesting Anth0ny for Smash for a second. 0_o

The salt would be amazing. I'd just spam his 'remember me' taunt all the time.

Smash couldn't handle the Anth0ny.
But yes if he had his "remember me" taunt it would be too perfect for any occasion.

Which raises a pretty big question: why would Sakurai tease Ridley being a boss without actually showing him? Ridley was already a boss - twice, even - in Brawl. Teasing him being a boss with a shadow would be like if he had "confirmed" Waluigi's Assist Trophy by saying "other fan-favorite characters can appear as Assist Trophies, too!" while showing Waluigi's shadow without actually showing the character. It doesn't make sense and only serves to generate negative hype if Ridley eventually is revealed to just be a boss character.

Sakurai knows peoples' expectations and likes to twist them - in the same Direct he teased people who thought Palutena would be playable through the Psuedo-Palutena trophy. I would be extremely surprised if Ridley ends up just being a boss in the final game, as it wouldn't match well with how Sakurai always reveals how characters are appearing in Smash.
And don't forget the King Ki Hunter trophy with ridley music,

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
There were people who thought Nook was going to be a fighter because of that scene in the first trailer.

He's just part of Villager's Final Smash.

emb

I would think that if fan requests had any impact on the roster, we'd have Paper Mario by now. Apparently they're nuts for him in Japan.
Sakurai used to publish and comment a little on the fan polls, didn't he? Or was that totally unrelated to Sakurai, and just polls someone did?

I recall seeing them discussed a lot, especially in the lead up to Brawl. I remember Sukapon and James Bond being requested after 64 or something.
it was new to me, but not new, apparently.
That was new to me too.

He was teasing Ridley as a boss to get people excited about Ridley as a boss, he doesn't troll anyone about things. He doesn't lie and he doesn't purposefully mislead. It was a tease of boss Ridley and that's all.

People can believe what they want but if that tease had been for anyone other than Ridley you would never see people react like this.
You can't be serious. Sakurai hardly flat out lies, aside from the Zero Suit Samus lie, but if you think he doesn't troll or mislead, you haven't been paying attention.

i legitimately don't understand where this "sakurai the king rusemaster!!!!!!!" thing comes from aside from that one time with ZSS and kinda the pseudo-palutena trophy so if anyone could throw some more instances my way i'd appreciate it. i'm honestly just curious.

You can't be serious. Sakurai hardly flat out lies, aside from the Zero Suit Samus lie, but if you think he doesn't troll or mislead, you haven't been paying attention.
tumblr_mmdxz96FBq1qzs4fvo1_400.gif

I think over the next couple of weeks, a lot of people hoping for certain characters need to take this GIF to heart.

i legitimately don't understand where this "sakurai the king rusemaster!!!!!!!" thing comes from aside from that one time with ZSS and kinda the pseudo-palutena trophy so if anyone could throw some more instances my way i'd appreciate it. i'm honestly just curious.

We need to believe he's joking most of the time to justify his absolute malignity.

georly

tumblr_mmdxz96FBq1qzs4fvo1_400.gif

I think over the next couple of weeks, a lot of people hoping for certain characters need to take this GIF to heart.

We're going to experience the stages of grief from them firsthand. A lot of them were on teamfake and already showed us what it'll be like for them.

A lot of them are in the bargaining phase right now: "Maybe the roster isn't complete, maybe there's DLC"

They'll revert right back to the beginning once the game comes out.

We're going to experience the stages of grief from them firsthand. A lot of them were on teamfake and already showed us what it'll be like for them.

A lot of them are in the bargaining phase right now: "Maybe the roster isn't complete, maybe there's DLC"

They'll revert right back to the beginning once the game comes out.
Haha, I watched the meltdowns with Brawl, I know it'll be good in the end. But the week before launch will be a mix of excitement and dread.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
What will Ridley fans do when he's confirmed?

I mean, after all, they just live for the confirmation, after he's finally confirmed they'll literally have nothing to look forward to for the rest of their lives. Pretty sad.

Just got a Spot Pass message on my 3DS letting me know I can download Smash at midnight on Oct. 3rd.

Hype is intensifying.
I'm starting to wonder if I should cancel my preorder and download the game on launch night. Being able to boot up the game when ever I want would be nice, but I love boxes.

Spinluck

Read my post.

I don't say he's the fucking Riddler, just that he did toys with player expectations at times. He has a good sense of humor based of numerous PoTD entries, The Villager, and Chrome in the Robin/Lucina trailer. Actually, Smash in itself is also meant to be a pretty funny lighthearted game.

He even mentions the sometimes humorous fan request he gets for characters. Yeah he isn't Kojima, but he does like to have fun with the fan base at times.

Moonlight

Banned
What will Ridley fans do when he's confirmed?

I mean, after all, they just live for the confirmation, after he's finally confirmed they'll literally have nothing to look forward to for the rest of their lives. Pretty sad.
they will find tiny bumps on ridley's texture that sort of look like his head that confirms that, yes, ridley is in the game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom