• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS & Wii U Thread 14: Snake... had a hard life

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blizzard

Banned
Sakurai said they were near the bottom of the [banana] barrel with newcomer videos. If we were to assume there is only one such video left, and it's tomorrow, what would the guess be? Is Shulk well-known enough to fit? Would it only have one character?

I don't think Rhythm Heaven would be well-known enough. MAYBE Duck Hunt dog.

You guys! This Ridley stuff, it's ridiculous that you're making fun of people who think he's still in, OK?

No one (that I'm aware of) is saying that he's for sure in, the problem is that you Ridley deniers are taking it as a fact that he's not in the game, specifically citing the Direct and claiming "Sakurai explicitly said Ridley is just a boss character in the game". Only problem - Sakurai didn't say that at all. It doesn't mean he's in the game, it doesn't mean he's not! It's just factually, demonstrably wrong when you claim that Sakurai said those exact words.

Sakurai has teased with character reveals before, like Palutena's Bizarro trophy reveal during the direct, and then the seeming de-confirmation when she showed up as a statue in the KI stage. A lot of people were on then saying "Palutena's out, you guys are in denial and just need to get over it!"

It's not confirmed either way, just let people want what they want, my gosh.

Full Disclosure - I could not possibly care any less if Ridley is in the game as a boss, playable character, or anything. I used to think he definitely wasn't, but even back then, I was careful to point out that Sakurai hasn't confirmed it yet.

Jaeger

Well, if we're going that route, we might as well go.

Most of these aren't actually all that embarrassing or shameful. Just funny reading back through the thread knowing what we know now.

If I posted a quote from you then sorry; it's just meant to be in good fun, not actually mocking you in anyway.

:)

Thanks.

Zubz

Banned
I haven't played Pikmin 3. Are Brittnay and Charlie's bodytypes so out of whack in comparison to Olimar that only Alph would make sense as an alt? You'd think all three would be an option if there were any alts. I mean allegedly the Koopalings are alts for Bowser Jr. and they differ in body size & shape from Bowser Jr. just as much as the other Pikmin captains do from Olimar.

Maybe a little? Charlie's stouter, and Brittany's taller. Alph, on the other hand, looks enough like Olimar that they thought he was the good Captain's son. Add the fact that Olimar's an established character and that we have 6 Captains (these 4 plus Louie & his/Olimar's boss) Vs. 8 Koopalings to fill 8 alt slots, as well as the fact that the Koopalings are a packaged deal outside of Jr. Whereas Olimar and Alph stand out from their trios, and I think Jr.'s the only one where each alt's a character. Nice to see Alph's getting something, though.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I still think my points were fair even if wrong. Duck Hunt is still a stupid name and I hope it's either changed or it really is a three party team with the invisible player being part of the trio.

Ryce

I’m really bored, and I know these don’t match up perfectly, but still…

Wario = Villager
The protagonist of a major series that fans had been wanting since the previous Smash Bros. — the ultimate sigh of relief “finally” character. This character was also among the first revealed and appears on the box art.

Pit = Little Mac
A popular NES era character brought into the modern age.

Pikmin & Olimar = Rosalina & Luma
A character associated with outer space who commands multicolored minions.

Zero Suit Samus = Wii Fit Trainer
A nimble, athletic woman who was completely unexpected.

Pokémon Trainer = Mii Fighters
Three unique movesets tied to a single character select icon/page on the official site.

Lucario = Greninja
A popular Pokémon from the most recent generation.

Ike = Robin
The main character from the most recent Fire Emblem.

Lucas = Shulk
The protagonist of a fairly recent cult favorite JRPG.

Meta Knight = Dark Pit
A cool “mirror image” rival character created by Sakurai.

King Dedede = Palutena
A “royal” character also associated with Sakurai who was expected by pretty much everybody.

Wolf = Bowser Jr.
A bad guy who leads a small band of followers and serves a greater evil.

Toon Link = Lucina
A cloned swordfighter.

R.O.B. = Duck Hunt
An unexpected retro character from the NES who is not typically associated with fighting.

Sonic = Mega Man
A heavily requested third-party character.

Snake = Pac-Man
A third-party character included mainly out of respect/obligation to a certain entity.

That leaves Diddy Kong without an analogous newcomer. You know what that means…
Dixie Kong or Chorus Kids with Rhythm Monkey assists! jk

Kandinsky

super_smash_bros_wii_u_link.jpg

With fire, my god Sakurai do something.

Most of these aren't actually all that embarrassing or shameful. Just funny reading back through the thread knowing what we know now.

If I posted a quote from you then sorry; it's just meant to be in good fun, not actually mocking you in anyway.

I knew it was real all along, the renders were too good.

georly

This is the reason I'm so glad the WiiU box is an ugly mess, going digital baby. 3DS will have to be carts.

That is literally the exact opposite from me. 3DS digital so I never leave it at home. Wii U disc... because i'll always be playing from home, where i'll have the disc handy.

I knew it was real all along, the renders were too good.

I went from skeptical (as I always am with a new leak) to 'wow... nobody faking it would do weird stuff like a clone corner if they wanted to be taken seriously' to deciding on team real within a matter of minutes. It felt right, unlike other fakes beforehand. Unfinished, but right.

I was still willing to fully accept that the possibility of it being fake was there, but signs pointed to it being real (to me anyway, not trying to discount anyone else's thought process)

I think it's totally fair at this point to make fun of people who think Ridleys in. It would have been fair two weeks ago, and that was before we had what is likely the final roster.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
No one (that I'm aware of) is saying that he's for sure in, the problem is that you Ridley deniers are taking it as a fact that he's not in the game, specifically citing the Direct and claiming "Sakurai explicitly said Ridley is just a boss character in the game". Only problem - Sakurai didn't say that at all. It doesn't mean he's in the game, it doesn't mean he's not! It's just factually, demonstrably wrong when you claim that Sakurai said those exact words.
More like saying it is the more likely result rather than saying it is all but confirmed. The "deniers" are at least basing it on evidence whereas the "believers" are basically plucking wishes out of the air to support their case.

Sakurai said they were near the bottom of the [banana] barrel with newcomer videos. If we were to assume there is only one such video left, and it's tomorrow, what would the guess be? Is Shulk well-known enough to fit? Would it only have one character?

I don't think Rhythm Heaven would be well-known enough. MAYBE Duck Hunt dog.

I think that a new trailer would show at least one newcomer and one more veteran.

The last few have at least stealth shown more than one unannounced character, even if they haven't said it outright.

Robins trailer also showed lucina / falcon.
Pacman showed him and Game and watch.
Paluntena showed her and Dark pit.
Greninja showed him and Charizard,

Prior to that, trailers only showed one character, but that's going quite a way back now.

Pompadour

I do want Ridley but at this point it would be hilarious if he wasn't in the game. At all. No stage boss. No AT. Not even a trophy.

Although people would just take that to mean Ridley DLC is obviously planned.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Funny that the renders (ROB and Mr G&W) I really critiqued are the ones we never saw full body shots of.

Kjellson

I think tomorrow's PotD will be one of these:

1. A filler pic mentioning the upcoming Direct.
2. A veteran reveal.
3. Menu stuff.

Or maybe a stage. Or something.

A lot of people seem eager for the Direct to show a new comer video, but it could just as easily show off a vet or two. Still a bunch of those left to show.

I vote Ice Climbers and Lucas.

It'll probably be Wario

Berordn

The direct might just reveal a veteran for kicks and that'll show up on the site tomorrow. They can still do new information, it just probably won't be substantial.

Sakurai knows the amount of hype behind Ridley and is definitely playing with fans' expectations. You can believe whatever you want but there is a reason why we are discussing about this so often. People who believe it's a playable character should be respected like everyone.

Sakurai knows the amount of hype behind Ridley and is definitely playing with fans' expectations. You can believe whatever you want but there is a reason why we are discussing about this so often. People who believe it's a playable character should be respected like everyone.

Thank you. You are my favorite person of today.

But it's no fun being a respectful human being.

johnbone

How on earth anyone thinks the Wii U boxart is ugly is beyond me!

I like the 3DS one too, but I see where people are coming from there...

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Because the Geno fans came to their senses. ;P

johnbone

I like you. Good advice!

Are Ridley Believers the hot new disenfranchised gamer group? Did I miss something?

Jawmuncher

Just like Snake Fans right?
Though they do get it better in this thread at least.

emb

Did you not see the lock on the All-Star screen?
Did you see the trophy screens? At least one had a different trophy count.

Not that we really had reason to believe the clips were all from the same game state anyway. The trailer seems like it was made up of a collection of videos that could have been shot at different times.

Lucas and Ness having a Pokémon battle using Squirtle and Ivysaur that is interrupted by Wolf, Wario, and Mewtwo.

And then during the copyright we hear the Ice Climbers' trademark "yup!" but nothing more.

No, it's not. It's also counter productive to any conversation flow to take time out the conversation to "make fun of" another.

Did you not see the lock on the All-Star screen?
I did, I also saw that the number of unlocked trophy went from being in the tens to the hundreds in the video, so the lock on the All-Star screen could be from before characters like Duck Hunt were unlocked. And I guess make fun of isn't the right words. We just shouldn't take them seriously.

Jaeger

I did, I also saw that the number of unlocked trophy went from being in the tens to the hundreds in the video, so the lock on the All-Star screen could be from before characters like Duck Hunt were unlocked. And I guess make fun of isn't the right words. We just shouldn't take them seriously.

Well, drag me in the street and shoot me for being optimistic about something I'd like to see in a game franchise I've been following since it's inception.

I know it's wrong of me to want things I desire in a game I plan on paying money for.

Fuck was I thinking?

That's fun, thanks for posting the list of TeamFakers! There's some perfect examples of how to and how not to talk about this sort of thing.

Super Wrong.

NAMESTRICKEN said:
I learned along time ago about how you operate. So, I'm not going back and fourth with ya buddy.

#TeamFakeAsShit on these "leaks". I could do a better fake in an hour in Photoshop after work, tonight.

Insult people and claim you could do better, but offer no proof or evidence in favor of your argument.

Also Wrong.

NAMESTRICKEN said:
I'm writing down which people fall for this, so when they try pulling a 180 and going "I always knew it was fake!" I can call them out on it.

Gloat, make fun of people.

The Right Way!

It's fake. If they have no problem leaking the pictures. Then leak gameplay video.

Duck Hunt Model look so good. Leaker, once people find out that you are fake, please post a full screen of duck hunt model because I would be glad to use it for my phone wallpaper. <3 Duck Hunt <3

State your opinion, provide a reason for your opinion (which in this case, conveniently doubles as a piece of evidence you're admitting will change your mind if it comes out), and most importantly - Be nice!

The first two leave you looking dumb if you're proven wrong, and petty either way.

The third example leaves you looking like a nice, reasonable person no matter how it pans out!

Also, at this point I think we can assume that Wario hasn't been revealed yet because he's in a newcomer video. The question is, if Chorus Kids aren't in, who will it be? I guess he could team up with Bowser Jr, but maybe we'd see him with Duck Hunt?

Well, drag me in the street and shoot me for being optimistic about something I'd like to see in a game franchise I've been following since it's inception.

I know it's wrong of me to want things I desire in a game I plan on paying money for.

Fuck was I thinking?
I know this was brought up, but this is super funny because you're the "namestricken" poster under "super wrong" up there lol. Be optimistic all you want, I just don't think Ridley's in based on everything I've seen. He's right up there with Skull Kid and Waluigi.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom