• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U POTD Thread XVIII: Today, we are all Mewtwos

Status
Not open for further replies.

SapphireZora

Neo Member
Poor Mawile and Lilligant never get any love :(
That said, there are Petilils in smash run but I just feel guilty whenever I have to hit them XD

I think Mawile and Lilligant are two awesome Pokémon too! A couple of my favorites from Gen 3 and 5 for sure. :) And yeah, poor little Petilils...

Sponge

Banned
I have a gut feeling we'll find out more about future Smash DLC around E3. That seems like a bombshell Nintendo would wanna drop there.

MutFox

Banned
Well, I want a Wii U now for this game.
Is there a Wii U bundle for this game?

Been looking, but haven't found it yet.
(In Canada)

zroid

Banned
The most likely solution to the 3DS/n3DS problem is that they're not going to put out any characters that can only run on one.

I wonder if it might be possible to have the in-game DLC shop detect whether you are using a 3DS or n3DS, thereby making it impossible to download a character like Ice Climbers an an old, incompatible system.

Of course with 8 player smash I suppose Ice Climbers have been ruled out for good.

Fandangox

ICs will never bee new 3ds only.

Nakes absolutely NO SENSE to have parity on two versions that won't play each other just to fragment the actual userbase that can play with each other.

They aren't going to fracture the online userbase of SSB 3DS.

The proper solution to the Ice Climber problem would have been to not have the Wii U version beholden to shit hardware that can't accomplish something Smash Bros. has been doing for thirteen years, but that ship has sailed.

The thing is, they won't be able to buy them if they are using an OG 3DS, and if they become n3DS exclusive I mean they are also going to be playable in the Wii U version (And yeah, I realize I used the word exclusive badly, sorry for that), so you can play them in both the n3DS and Wii u version as extra features...

But again, this is all speculation I know it really is not likely, but if the excuse for IC to not be playable was the limited hardware of the OG 3DS, then that excuse can be worked around with the new 3DS.

Yes, but Smash is ALL about multiplayer. They're not going to release a DLC character that you can only play multiplayer offline with (because they're not going to fracture the online matchmaking) and with only the ~30% of other 3DS owners that have n3DSXL. If the New3DS has a similar lifespan to the DSi, they'll be lucky if they make up 1/3rd of the 3DS install base by the time the next handheld comes out.

SalvaPot

Yes, but Smash is ALL about multiplayer. They're not going to release a DLC character that you can only play multiplayer offline with (because they're not going to fracture the online matchmaking) and with only the ~30% of other 3DS owners that have n3DSXL. If the New3DS has a similar lifespan to the DSi, they'll be lucky if they make up 1/3rd of the 3DS install base by the time the next handheld comes out.

That is true, it'll be really hard to justify the backslash making n3DS exclusive characters could generate, since Smash is going to sell lots of copies anyway.

emb

Truth be told - playing SSB4 on a big TV was actually one of the reasons I exchanged my 25" TV (reused as new monitor) with a 42" TV :D
I really want to upgrade from my 27" monitor to a full scale TV, but the possibility of input lag concerns me. Looking through displaylag's database, the best I can do without going overkill (ie 120+hz with 3D) would be close to a full frame of lag beyond what I'm working with now. I'm not sure that I'm ok with that...

That is true, it'll be really hard to justify the backslash making n3DS exclusive characters could generate, since Smash is going to sell lots of copies anyway.

Yup. You'd get backlash from the people with the original 3DS yelling "I'm not buying a new DS to play as the Ice Climbers, fuck you Nintendo." and you'd get the backlash from the unsuspecting n3DS owners who purchase the DLC and yell "What the hell, I paid $5 for these guys and I can't play them with my friends? Fuck you Nintendo."

georly

Yeah I guess.. but then again I think DKTF could of did 1080p but what do I know really :p

Yeah some mod got me good lol

Can't render that fur in 1080p, duh :p

*shrug* who knows. If you want your game to be 1080p, you can make it 1080p, but you then need to sacrifice other parts of the game (or find a code wizard to make your game efficient, but even then, it may not be possible). 1080p was not their priority I guess.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
It was said at the time that they basically aimed for 720p to make sure games performed as expected.

Can't render that fur in 1080p, duh :p

*shrug* who knows. If you want your game to be 1080p, you can make it 1080p, but you then need to sacrifice other parts of the game (or find a code wizard to make your game efficient, but even then, it may not be possible). 1080p was not their priority I guess.
Yeah I know thats eventually what it cones down to priority.

Well, I want a Wii U now for this game.
Is there a Wii U bundle for this game?

Been looking, but haven't found it yet.
(In Canada)

After the Smash Direct, I bought a Wii U.
In the States, we have Black Friday coming up, and there's bound to be a sale on the Wii U. Thing is, Smash Bros. comes out the 21st, which is a good week before Black Friday. I can't wait that long for Smash.

I went out yesterday and bought the Super Mario 3D World + Nintendoland 32GB Wii U bundle for $290.00. So worth it. Having a blast with both games as it is, and they'll easily last me to the 21st.

My friend works at GameStop and says that there will not be a Smash Bros. Wii U bundle. They would have heard of it a few weeks ago to prepare for it, and they haven't heard any mention of one. So no bundle. This may be because the game is being bundled with the adapter separately, and they didn't want to discourage that. Plus they're still riding off of the Mario Kart 8 and 3D World bundles.

Go get a Wii U brah! Either the Mario Kart 8 or 3D World bundles are the same price and both come with Nintendoland. It's just your preference from there.

georly

If this game runs at 59 fps I'm cancelling my pre order

Yup. I'm counting the pixels, too. If it's upscaled to 1080p and not natively at that resolution, I'm returning my game and suing for false advertising. Smash isn't fun unless it's 1080p/60fps.

Why does everything look so much clearer/easier to see in this game? Is it just because it's HD, or is it because of the brighter/better color palette? Or is it the combination of the two? It seems like it's much easier to keep track of the fighters vs brawl, where stuff seemed to blend in to the background.

Neiteio

AGGGHHHHHH I just got into class so I won't be able to watch it until four hours from now.

Is it the default song from Melee?
Yep. And I have no nostalgia for the EarthBound/Mother series, but my lawd do I love that stage and that song.

Makes me feel all warm and fuzzy seeing Bowser Jr. and Rosalina fight on that stage.

Neiteio

Why does everything look so much clearer/easier to see in this game? Is it just because it's HD, or is it because of the brighter/better color palette? Or is it the combination of the two? It seems like it's much easier to keep track of the fighters vs brawl, where stuff seemed to blend in to the background.
Onett looks so good. WHY IS THIS VIDEO ONLY 30 SECONDS? I understand media restrictions, but that's just... capricious and cruel!

I'm pretty inclined to believe we'll be getting New Pork City back, between the emphasis on large stages and the fact that we haven't heard any of its music on Onett (have only heard the music present in Melee/Brawl on it).

Wasn't there some kind of syntax in the data dump indicating which stages were on both versions and which weren't? Was that present for Magicant (and I seem to recall that it may not have been for Wily's Castle for some reason)?

georly

I'm pretty inclined to believe we'll be getting New Pork City back, between the emphasis on large stages and the fact that we haven't heard any of its music on Onett (have only heard the music present in Melee/Brawl on it).

Wasn't there some kind of syntax in the data dump indicating which stages were on both versions and which weren't? Was that present for Magicant (and I seem to recall that it may not have been for Wily's Castle for some reason)?

New pork city might not be THE ABSOLUTE WORST PIECE OF TRASH EVER MADE in 8 player smash. It'll just be the 'WORST SMASH STAGE," instead.

75m is looking a lot better with less walk-offs and 8 player smash.

Neiteio

I'd love to have New Pork City back, since I think it'll play a lot better with eight players and in native 1080p HD. And the trophy in Smash Tour of the Ultimate Chimera might be sign. That being said... We've only heard one song on Onett so far. These stages could have dozens of songs. It's entirely possible the New Pork City songs are in there.

I'd love to have New Pork City back, since I think it'll play a lot better with eight players and in native 1080p HD. And the trophy in Smash Tour of the Ultimate Chimera might be sign. That being said... We've only heard one song on Onett so far. These stages could have dozens of songs. It's entirely possible the New Pork City songs are in there.

Out of the three videos of Onett on Smash 4 I've seen, two were of its Melee default music, and one was of its Melee alternate music (though that wasn't a video, it was a clip posted by the Rev3Games fellow in this thread).

Obviously not decisive or anything, but there are other reasons to believe New Pork City is present anyways.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Oh man, Onett. I have no love for Earthbound, but Onett is the GOAT feel-good stage...

But yeah, it looks really odd now that the characters are so big...I remember in Melee, for example, the car was larger than Bowser, or about his size, now it's smaller than Bowser Jr.!

Allow me to repost our current stage roster so far for the new thread:

wiiu_stages_small_zpsc2f60ab7.png
I edited your edited image, Weiner Whistle, filling in with what I think the final two stages will be.

ukOI657.png

With stand in images of the two stages I think are left based on my previous post on the subject. Bowser's Castle as a SMB retro stage just because, I don't know. And a new Game & Watch stage.

Moved Miiverse back in the order a bit so as to not separate Pilotwings and Wuhu Island.

I think this is roughly the theoretical maximum without shrinking the icon sizes further (I don't think they can really get much smaller) or adding another page (which I think will be left for when DLC stages get added). Like I said in my original post, there is some leeway dealing with the Miiverse page, as that may be treated specially as it is not available right away. And again, the bottom row cannot be completely filled up as the My Music icon for the Menu has to go somewhere (it should actually be in this picture now that I look at it, but whatever).

But anyway, my belief is that you start with forty stages, with six to unlock, and then Miiverse is added later, for forty-seven total.

The forty starting stages would be the ones first shown on the stage select screen in the direct:

Battlefield
Big Battlefield
Final Destination
Mushroom Kingdom U
Mario Galaxy
Delfino Plaza
Mario Circuit
Mario Circuit (Brawl)
Luigi's Mansion
Jungle Hijinxs
Skyloft
Bridge of Eldin
Temple
Pyrosphere
Norfair
Port Town Aero Dive
Woolly World
Yoshi's Island
The Great Cave Offensive
Halberd
Orbital Gate Assault
Lylat Cruise
Kalos Pokemon League
Onett
Coliseum
Castle Siege
Palutena's Temple
Skyworld
Gamer
Garden of Hope
Town & City
Wii Fit Studio
Boxing Ring
Gaur Plain
75 M
Wrecking Crew
Pilotwings
Wuhu Island
Windy Hill Zone
Wily Castle

And then the six secret stages would be the other ones we have seen plus my two surmised ones (in parentheses):

Pac-Land
Smashville
Kongo Jungle
Pokemon Stadium 2
("Flat Zone 3")
("Bowser's Castle")

And then one added at a later unspecified date:

Miiverse

There are still some weird gaps in representation that I think should be filled but aren't--F-Zero and Earthbound being represented solely by a single returning stage and the lack of a third Pokemon stage. But I think, at least at first, that's exactly what they will be--gaps in representation.

Pokemon should have as many stages as Zelda does, as they've always matched in stage count in Smash before, but I think that it's possible that they may be holding a Pokemon stage back for Mewtwo's release. And then the F-Zero and Earthbound conundrum, I have nothing. I would hope that Magicant and Mute City would make the jump to Wii U, but I have no real reason to think so. I think they may be held back in the 3DS version just to make stage representation between the two versions "fair," at least somewhat. I think this is the wrong way to go about it, but it is what it is.

Yup. I'm counting the pixels, too. If it's upscaled to 1080p and not natively at that resolution, I'm returning my game and suing for false advertising. Smash isn't fun unless it's 1080p/60fps.

Lol

I think it's a combo of both. Makes me really want an cgi animated movie by Pixar

Neiteio

Oh man, Onett. I have no love for Earthbound, but Onett is the GOAT feel-good stage...

But yeah, it looks really odd now that the characters are so big...I remember in Melee, for example, the car was larger than Bowser, or about his size, now it's smaller than Bowser Jr.!
Same here. I only "love" EarthBound insofar as it makes others happy. But the Onett stage legit makes me happy. Favorite stage in Melee, and I'm glad to see it back here, alongside my favorite stage from Brawl, Delfino Plaza.

You know what I really love about this game?
That no matter what character or move you choose, very hit seems to be very satisfying.
In terms of visuals, Bowser Jr seems to be a beast. So excited to play as him.

I'd take 75m over New Pork City any day.
I love the little effects from the hits too. Game is animated and colorful

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom