• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U POTD Thread XVIII: Today, we are all Mewtwos

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread is not complete without the GOAT Mewtwo sprite:

NdIJV1l.png

Where's the one where he's doing the pelvic thrust?

Neiteio

Indeed, they're all on there, along with Miiverse.
Miiverse isn't on there. That screen's from My Music, so what you see in the lower right is the menu music option.

It's missing Miiverse, Pokémon Stadium 2 and Pac-Land, plus any other hidden stages we don't know about. But it has Kongo Jungle 64, Smashville, etc., so it's still our most complete look at the stage roster yet. :)

Miiverse isn't on there. That screen's from My Music, so what you see in the lower right is the menu music option.

It's missing Miiverse, Pokémon Stadium 2 and Pac-Land, plus any other hidden stages we don't know about. But it has Kongo Jungle 64, Smashville, etc., so it's still our most complete look at the stage roster yet. :)

You must look at the image I posted again, dear boy. I assure you the stages are all there:

wiiu_stages_small_zpsc2f60ab7.png

LIKE MAGIC.

Allow me to repost our current stage roster so far for the new thread:

It seems there's only room for two more stages we don't know of, if they plan on making use of all of the available space. Not three, because the My Music icon for the Menu has to be able to fit on the My Music menu.

With your shuffling of the stages with the addition of Pokemon Stadium 2 the previously unaligned franchises listed before Pokemon are properly aligned (though Mario will always be split due to having so many). But Kid Icarus is still split. It could be another Pokemon stage, but I'm thinking a Game & Watch stage. The traditional placement for the Game & Watch series is after the Fire Emblem series, so inserting a Game & Watch after Castle Siege and then shifting the rest down and right would align everything properly.

After that the only real place a new stage could go is Mario, Donkey Kong, or original Smash to fill in the top row to a full six across. Of course, there's always the chance it doesn't get filled totally. But if it does, I imagine it'd be a Mario stage based on the original Super Mario Bros., as that seems like an unspoken rule in Smash Bros.

There's some bit of leeway here, too, with the Miiverse stage, which we've never seen properly inserted into the Stage Select screen. It's possible that the stage selection screen is filled up completely before Miiverse is added to the game (as it won't be available at launch) and its addition completely changes the layout. It could even be an extra special stage like Hanenbow that doesn't have its own My Music selection, so it would be left out on the My Music menu like Hanenbow was, which would make room for another stage. Who knows.

Or all this investigation could be for nothing and the icons could all randomly change size. But I feel fairly confident that there are two stages left that we don't know about and I'm very certain one of them is a new Game & Watch stage.

EDIT: I'm also pretty confident that there are no new Earthbound or F-Zero stages in the Wii U version. There's no possible way to insert another F-Zero stage without fucking up the stage order completely and while it's possible the Game & Watch "hole" I identified could be filled with an Earthbound stage I feel F-Zero and Earthbound are kind of seen as somewhat equals in Smash this time around and one will not get more stages than the other.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
It seems there's only room for two more stages we don't know of, if they plan on making use of all of the available space. Not three, because the My Music icon for the Menu has to be able to fit on the My Music menu.

With your shuffling of the stages with the addition of Pokemon Stadium 2 the previously unaligned franchises listed before Pokemon are properly aligned (though Mario will always be split due to having so many). But Kid Icarus is still split. It could be another Pokemon stage, but I'm thinking a Game & Watch stage. The traditional placement for the Game & Watch series is after the Fire Emblem series, so inserting a Game & Watch after Castle Siege and then shifting the rest down and right would align everything properly.

After that the only real place a new stage could go is Mario, Donkey Kong, or original Smash to fill in the top row to a full six across. Of course, there's always the chance it doesn't get filled totally. But if it does, I imagine it'd be a Mario stage based on the original Super Mario Bros., as that seems like an unspoken rule in Smash Bros.

There's some bit of leeway here, too, with the Miiverse stage, which we've never seen properly inserted into the Stage Select screen. It's possible that the stage selection screen is filled up completely before Miiverse is added to the game (as it won't be available at launch) and its addition completely changes the layout. It could even be an extra special stage like Hanenbow that doesn't have its own My Music selection, so it would be left out on the My Music menu like Hanenbow was, which would make room for another stage. Who knows.

Or all this investigation could be for nothing and the icons could all randomly change size. But I feel fairly confident that there are two stages left that we don't know about and I'm very certain one of them is a new Game & Watch stage.

There are speculations that we are getting New Pork City and Mario Bros. Also I need someone to help me out with finding stage selection screenshot because I swear that there is enough space for second tab to allow us to access to second page of stages (DLC or not)

Zubz

Banned
There are speculations that we are getting New Pork City and Mario Bros. Also I need someone to help me out with finding stage selection screenshot because I swear that there is enough space for second tab to allow us to access to second page of stages (DLC or not)

Yeah, that, or can't they just zoom out on the pictures a little more, maybe? I can't help but feel there's more; why bring back Kongo Jungle 64 as the only 64 level?
I have no clue why they would, but I can seriously see them doing that.

Xux

Yeah, that, or can't they just zoom out on the pictures a little more, maybe? I can't help but feel there's more; why bring back Kongo Jungle 64 as the only 64 level?
I have no clue why they would, but I can seriously see them doing that.
Maybe they were, like, "Yo, our lighting engine can finally support this shitty stage!" And Sakurai was, like, "Yooooo, ship it!"

I'm pretty sure we are getting at least another N64 stage. Don't you think it would be incredibly unusual to take the time to only bring back ONE N64 stage? And it's not Hyrule Castle?

Granted, we might run higher odds of getting a Melee N64 stage (like Kongo Jungle). Sakurai did refer to the difficulty relating to converting over Melee stuff and he had to be talking about something.

Hatchtag

Banned
You must look at the image I posted again, dear boy. I assure you the stages are all there:

LIKE MAGIC.

I personally think a Kirby Stage, Earthbound Stage, F-Zero Stage, Pokemon Stage, and Mario Stage would be the most likely picks for more stages. Big Blue, New Pork City, Pokefloats 2, Mario Bros, and any of the past Kirby stages would make sense to me.

Sakurai did refer to the difficulty relating to converting over Melee stuff and he had to be talking about something.

See the thread title for what I think he was most likely talking about.

Neiteio

LIKE MAGIC.
Hey Weiner Whistle, how much room would be available at the bottom if you moved everything up so it touched the very top? Would there be enough room for another row of stages?

BasilZero

Mewtwo thread? Mewtwo thread.

Edit: Also isnt the Duck Hunt dog in the game too or is the character roster in the OP outdated?

Golnei

I'm pretty sure we are getting at least another N64 stage. Don't you think it would be incredibly unusual to take the time to only bring back ONE N64 stage? And it's not Hyrule Castle?

Though they didn't bother to bring back that stage in Melee, either...

And while other 64 stages may have been planned, or will be DLC, it could be that they were forced to bring back Kongo Jungle in the base game due to the low number of candidates for Donkey Kong past stages - Jungle Japes was used in the 3DS game, and I doubt they would have wanted to bring back Brawl's entire complement of new DK stages on the Wii U. Regardless, I wouldn't be surprised if the currently unseen stages are just Mario Bros., New Pork City and / or Magicant.

Granted, we might run higher odds of getting a Melee N64 stage (like Kongo Jungle). Sakurai did refer to the difficulty relating to converting over Melee stuff and he had to be talking about something.

...aside from Mewtwo?

Goddammit Weiner Whistle, stop being so awesome. I didn't realize you had edited the screen, haha. :-D

Trickery and stealth is my favorite pastime.

On another note, Congo Jungle gives me hope that we'll see an updated version of this beautiful stage:

Fountainofdreams.jpg

Hey Weiner Whistle, how much room would be available at the bottom if you moved everything up so it touched the very top? Would there be enough room for another row of stages?

Nope, "Normal" sticks up too high. I still think the icons could get reduced in size for more stages.

I don't think I've ever posted in one of these smash threads despite putting thousands of hours into the series as a whole, but I just wanna pop in here to say that we finally made it. Mewtwo is back and I can't wait to use him.
Samus should get one first.
How about both?

Caladrius

Another ticket for the Mewtwo train.

But When's Ridley?

Okay I was kind of asking for that,

Yup no sleep for me tonight.

Gotta get in that Halloween spirit!

Edit: Also isnt the Duck Hunt dog in the game too or is the character roster in the OP outdated?

OP list is outdated.

...aside from Mewtwo?

I was under the impression that he was being remade completely as opposed to ported.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
beautiful title

So this'll probably be the last POTD thread, eh? Been quite a ride.

It's possible unless something so huge actually happens then we might hit thread #19 but I seriously doubt it.

Trickery and stealth is my favorite pastime.

On another note, Congo Jungle gives me hope that we'll see an updated version of this beautiful stage:

Fountainofdreams.jpg

If that stage is going to happens, I'm pretty sure that it will be one of dlc stages.

I don't think I've ever posted in one of these smash threads despite putting thousands of hours into the series as a whole, but I just wanna pop in here to say that we finally made it. Mewtwo is back and I can't wait to use him.

It's never too late for someone to post here :D

Speaking of Mewtwo, I wonder what they'll do for voice acting. Back in Melee they just reused the Japanese grunts, but they were really lazy with VAs back then compared to now. Would love if they got his original English VA back (I only saw the first movie, never saw those sequels where he came back)

Golnei

I was under the impression that he was being remade completely as opposed to ported.

I assumed that "the difficulty of porting things from Melee" was an acknowledgement that barely anything in that game could be directly transferred, and would need to be remade from scratch. Dr. Mario, Kongo Jungle and Mewtwo would all be relevant to that statement through that interpretation.

Speaking of Mewtwo, I wonder what they'll do for voice acting. Back in Melee they just reused the Japanese grunts, but they were really lazy with VAs back then compared to now. Would love if they got his original English VA back (I only saw the first movie, never saw those sequels where he came back)

Sadly, the original voice actor for Mewtwo passed away a few years after the film was released.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"

I overlooked your post. Take a good look at red bar at bottom of screen. You can see two buttons for stage and custom stages. You can see enough space for a new tab to push stage to be near to the random button, to be middle of stage and custom stage.

I dunno if they are going to call it normal 2 or dlc

All speculation tho.

Golnei

Man, there better be more stages. That'd be so weird if we just randomly got a single N64 stage.

I'm expecting any further 64 stages or Melee stages not in Brawl to be confined to DLC - though I'd love to be wrong.

They're still recycling quite a lot, though it makes sense considering the size of the cast. Seeing as Captain Falcon and Marth are still reusing their old voice samples, I won't be surprised if Mewtwo's Melee voice returns.

Neiteio

I overlooked your post. Take a good look at red bar at bottom of screen. You can see two buttons for stage and custom stages. You can see enough space for a new tab to push stage to be near to the random button, to be middle of stage and custom stage.

I dunno if they are going to call it normal 2 or dlc

All speculation tho.
Interesting theory, Heath :)

Masked Man

I said wow
The thread subtitle is perfect, lol. Some holdover responses from the last thread:

So what would you all say are the top five points you're most excited about from the Smash Wii U Direct?

1) Music
I've been a huge game music fan ever since I picked up an NES controller (I was humming along to DuckTales and Super Mario Bros. 2 before I was in school!), so the amount of love the Smash sound staff puts in just warms my heart. The 3DS arrangements were absolutely astounding, so the fact that we're getting even more content of (presumably) the same or even better quality is definitely cause for excitement.

2) DLC
Honestly, I'm pretty indifferent regarding Mewtwo as a character. I've been a Pokemon diehard from the very beginning, so it's cool to see him come back as a nostalgia trip-of-sorts. More importantly, however, the fact that Sakurai and the team have gone out of their way to create and provide additional content undoubtedly due to fan demand inspires hope for the future of DLC in Smash. Chorus Kids? Captain Toad? Lucas? YES PLEASE.

3) Palutena's Guidance
I adore the characters in Kid Icarus: Uprising, and this is an example of fan service at its finest. The writing is so clever and fun in both EN and JP that it would have been a real waste if they hadn't included these codecs. I can't wait to hear more of Palutena and Viridi's banter! Maybe my beloved Phosphora will show up, too... <3

4) Stages
I've heard people complain about too many hazards, walk-offs, etc. but I don't get the hate. I think a lot of the new stages are quite ingenious in their design, and I love how a majority of them bring something new and fresh to the table: Gamer has an unusual and quirky hazard, Wrecking Crew introduces a completely new style of gameplay, Mario Galaxy adds a special gravity element to the stage, and so on. It's all very well designed and really beautiful to look at, as well.

5) Smash Tour
I always thought that a multi-franchise Nintendo-themed Mario Party would be a brilliant game, and it looks like Sakurai is finally making it happen. The board game is cute, and I adore how the different franchises have their own hazards and bonuses. Looking forward to trying it out!

Did anyone mention Ultimate Chimera Trophy were shown in Smash Tour? I decided to take a look at the pictures again and I spotted Ultimate Chimera trophy.

This makes me happy! Considering we've also seen the Porky Minch trophy on Smash Tour and the King P. Statue trophy on the 3DS, I'm feeling optimistic about Mother 3 representation on the Wii U. :D
Don't disappointe me, Sakurai!

I'm excited about Metal Face on Gaur Plain. I don't mind a boss mixing things up, at least not on a stage where you have plenty of room to go around him. Doesn't hurt that in my 70+ hours playing Xenoblade Chronicles, he is still my favorite character from that game. I can listen to his voice all day...

Oh, you'll be happy to know that I finally started playing Xenoblade! I've only just arrived at Colony 9, and I've been tasked with delivering a lunchbox to Shulk.

I can't really express how much I really love the idea behind Trophy Box feature. I'm going to have a lot of fun to completing those Trophy Boxes :)

It reminds me a lot of the Figure Sculptor from Wind Waker. :D

linebeck fucking owns

Preach. I wish we could get a Linebeck AT. He's such a hilarious character!

I really hope New Pork comes back, the only reason being so I can play the Omega Form of it. I love the New Pork setting and the amount of detail and love that went into recreating it for Smash, too bad the stage itself was kinda junk. Ultimate Chimera trophy gives me hope.

And really, I just want some Mother 3 representation period, even if we can't have Lucas. :(

I feel your pain, my brother. :( The trophies give me hope, though, so let's keep our fingers crossed!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom