• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U POTD Thread XVIII: Today, we are all Mewtwos

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roo

You must look at the image I posted again, dear boy. I assure you the stages are all there:

wiiu_stages_small_zpsc2f60ab7.png

LIKE MAGIC.

Are both a Super Mario 3D World and Duck Hunt stage likely or this is the final list?

Zubz

Banned
Cape Mewtwo and Machine Mewtwo from The First Movie. Tis all I want. COME ON FEMALE DESIGNER. WHERE ARE YOU?

We can only hope... and... you know, I just realized. Now that there's full-on Ridley footage covering any and all Ridley-related activities in Smash 4, no matter how disappointing they may be... What are your bones going to feel now?

Caladrius

I assumed that "the difficulty of porting things from Melee" was an acknowledgement that barely anything in that game could be directly transferred, and would need to be remade from scratch. Dr. Mario, Kongo Jungle and Mewtwo would all be relevant to that statement through that interpretation.

Ah, very well.

Is there any hope for Magicant and F-Zero?

Some. They're both from console games.

Golnei

Is there any hope for Magicant and F-Zero?

A Flying Man appeared alongside the Ultimate Chimera trophy in the Direct, so it wouldn't be too unlikely. There's no evidence for Mute City, but there's nothing to say it won't be there.

Mariolee

We can only hope... and... you know, I just realized. Now that there's full-on Ridley footage covering any and all Ridley-related activities in Smash 4, no matter how disappointing they may be... What are your bones going to feel now?

Guys, I can feel it in my bones.
Smash Tour pic tonight.

rekameohs

Banned
I overlooked your post. Take a good look at red bar at bottom of screen. You can see two buttons for stage and custom stages. You can see enough space for a new tab to push stage to be near to the random button, to be middle of stage and custom stage.

I dunno if they are going to call it normal 2 or dlc

All speculation tho.

From E3 2014:

bKxJZ0W.png

Notice that the "Random" button moved over to the left in the final stage select screen compared to E3, even though there's still plenty of room to have it exactly in the same spot. Couple that with your observation that another button could perfectly fit in that gap and there could be a pattern!

Neiteio

Are both a Super Mario 3D World and Duck Hunt stage likely of this is the final list?
That's just the list so far. In terms of more stages, how many depends on whether they 1) resize the icons, and/or 2) add a tab to move to a second page of stages.

As it currently stands, they could fit at least two more stages in there, since they'd need to leave a third slot for changing the menu music on the My Music page.

Why not put Mewtwo in the Veterans list? May as well advertise to people on the fence a beloved character cut from Brawl is back
who isn't Dr. Mario

RagnarokX

Is Mewtwo covered in Dittos?

There is a theory that dittos are failed mew clones.
Dittos are found in the Pokemon Mansion where mewtwo was cloned from mew.
Ditto and mew are similar colors, both regular and shiny.
Ditto and mew weigh the same.
Mew is the original pokemon with whom all pokemon share their DNA. Ditto can transform into any pokemon.
Ditto and mew are the only pokemon that can learn transform naturally.
Ditto and mew both have completely even base stats, with ditto's stats all being just under half mew's.

New Stages
Battlefield
Big Battle Field
Boxing Ring (Punch-Out!)
Coliseum (Fie Emblem)
Dr. Wily's Castle (Mega Man)
Final Destination
Gamer (Game & Wario)
Garden of Hope (Pikmin)
Gaur Plains (Xenoblade Chronicles)
Great Cave Offensive (Kirby)
Jungle Hijinx (Donkey Kong)
Kalos Pokemon League (Pokemon)
Mario Circuit (Mario Kart)
Mario Galaxy (Super Mario 3D)
Miiverse - To be added post-release
Mushroom Kingdom U (New Super Mario Bros.)
Orbital Gate (Star Fox)
Pac-Land (Pac-Man)
Palutena's Temple (Kid Icarus)
Pilot Wings
Pyrosphere (Metroid)
Skyloft (The Legend of Zelda)
Town and City (Animal Crossing)
Wii Fit Studio (Wii Fit)
Windy Hill (Sonic)
Wooly World (Yoshi)
Wrecking Crew
Wuhu Island (Wii Sports)

Returning Stages
75M (Donkey Kong)
Bridge of Eldin (Legend of Zelda)
Castle Seige (Fire Emblem)
Congo Jungle (Donkey Kong)
Delfino Plaza (Super Mario 3D)
Halberd (Kirby)
Luigi's Mansion (Luigi's Mansion)
Lylat Cruise (Star Fox)
Mario Circuit (Mario Kart)
Norfair (Metroid)
Onett (Earthbound)
Pokemon Stadium 2 (Pokemon)
Port Town Aero Drive (F-Zero)
Skyworld (Kid Icarus)
Smashville (Animal Crossing)
Temple (Legend of Zelda)
Yoshi's Island (Yoshi)

(We don't have any play-throughs of the returning stages on the Wii U, right? Can't find them, anyway.)

Neiteio

I'm loving all the Mewtwo gifs. I think I'll go watch the first movie again soon. Haven't done so in years.
That movie would probably drive me crazy now, but as a kid it was the most amazing thing. Seeing Marill, Snubbull and Donphan in motion before they were even available in the game was just incredible.

Mew is the original pokemon with whom all pokemon share their DNA. Ditto can transform into any pokemon.
I probably knew this at some point... but WOW.

And they're the only pokemon with the move transform

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I think I'm done with staying up for the POTD...

I can't imagine with the blowout we'll get anything new and worthwhile now, probably just explanations, so I'll just check 'em in the morning. Hopefully we get some Wii U Music Samples though.

Roo

Unless the icons are resized, there's room for four more stages if the downloadable Miiverse stage is excluded; one at the top, and three at the bottom.

That's just the list so far. In terms of more stages, how many depends on whether they 1) resize the icons, and/or 2) add a tab to move to a second page of stages.

As it currently stands, they could fit at least two more stages in there, since they'd need to leave a third slot for changing the menu music on the My Music page.

I see.
Reading a comment in this page made me realize we're algo missing new stages from Earthbound and F-Zero (Magicant and Mute City if we follow rumors) so if we get more stages, I hope they resize the icons.
I like they condensed all the stages in a single page.

Neiteio

I think I'm done with staying up for the POTD...

I can't imagine with the blowout we'll get anything new and worthwhile now, probably just explanations, so I'll just check 'em in the morning. Hopefully we get some Wii U Music Samples though.
PotD: "Here's playable Kaptain K. Rool and the 8-player Crocodile Isle stage, featuring every world from DKC2! This will be available for free, at launch, provided that NeoGAF user Watch Da Birdie is awake for this announcement."

(later)

PotD: "Update: My cat has verified Watch Da Birdie slept through the announcement. I am canceling the K. Rool/Crocodile Isle update, and the game."

Hello.

Banned
It seems there's only room for two more stages we don't know of, if they plan on making use of all of the available space. Not three, because the My Music icon for the Menu has to be able to fit on the My Music menu.

Except it doesn't matter because Pac-Land, Kongo Jungle, Pokemon Stadium 2, and Miiverse will have to be included and that's more than two. The stage select screen could be irregularly shaped like Brawl's again, for all we know. I wouldn't be surprised if the icons are resized downwards dynamically to fit it all either.

That was one of my favorite theories.

My other favorite is the Gengar = Clefairy one...or was it Clefable?

Neiteio

Except it doesn't matter because Pac-Land, Kongo Jungle, Pokemon Stadium 2, and Miiverse will have to be included and that's more than two. The stage select screen could be irregularly shaped like Brawl's again, for all we know. I wouldn't be surprised if the icons are resized downwards dynamically to fit it all either.
Green Mamba was commenting on a version of the screen that already includes all four of those stages. With those four courses included, there's only room for two more stages, assuming they keep the menu music tab on the My Music page, and assuming they don't resize the icons.

Here's the screen we're all talking about, edited to include everything confirmed so far:

wiiu_stages_small_zpsc2f60ab7.png

Note that in My Music, another icon is present for the menu music. So that leaves room for two more stages, unless they're resized or a second page is added.

WonderzL

Banned
That movie would probably drive me crazy now, but as a kid it was the most amazing thing. Seeing Marill, Snubbull and Donphan in motion before they were even available in the game was just incredible.

The first Pokémon movie is actually very good. I'm a huge Pokémon anime fan, so I have my bias, but it's the best one regarding its writting. Mewtwo is a very interesting character, the visuals are cool. Overall, I love it.

Anyway! Being on topic, nice find about the stage roster, guys! I'm excited now, I was expecting only two or three more stages.

Neiteio

I'm predicting more Mewtwo tonight

nah...maybe some more Ridley info
I'd love more Mewtwo information, but if all they could show us in the Direct was his character model, I'm not sure they're ready yet to show screens of him in action. They'll probably save all the in-game stuff for closer to his release. It'll help keep the hype going after the game is released.

Zalman

You know, it probably won't happen since he's not really a newcomer, but I would love to see a CG trailer of Mewtwo being badass and all.

The first Pokémon movie is actually very good. I'm a huge Pokémon anime fan, so I have my bias, but it's the best one regarding its writting. Mewtwo is a very interesting character, the visuals are cool. Overall, I love it.

Anyway! Being on topic, nice find about the stage roster, guys! I'm excited now, I was expecting only two or three more stages.

And we get adorable mew

Adorable Jirachi gets close though

(Forget the 4th gif, that's Lucario and the Mystery of Mew)

total posts, the might-be-final edition:
1. IntelliHeath-9249
2. theprodigy-6753
3. Horizon-5373
4. ffdgh-5097
5. BGBW-4977 (+1)
6. foxuzamaki-4815 (-1)
7. Neiteio-4746 (+2)
8. georly-4653
9. SuperSah-4603 (-2)
10. SmithnCo-4377
11. PadWarrior-4220
12. Beelzebufo-3992
13. OricWindstar-3891
14. Boss Doggie-3625
15. MrSaturn99-3467 (+2)
16. Berordn-3326
17. Troubled Bat-3325 (-2)
18. Toxi-2884
19. zroid-2854 (+1)
20. Loco4Coco-2789 (-1)
21. Ryce-2754 (+1)
22. Village-2678 (-1)
23. DaBoss-2398
24. qq more-2397
25. Red Arremer-2381 (+1)
26. Kriken-2378 (-1)
27. Golnei-2366 (+7)
28. I'M FINISHED-2343 (-1)
29. emb-2286 (+2)
30. BassForever-2184 (-1)
31. Kyzon-2158 (-3)
32. SenorArdilla-2155 (-2)
33. Jawmuncher-2111 (+5)
34. The Great Gonzales-2084 (-2)
35. Azure J-2039
36. Pop-O-Matic-1993 (-3)
37. Caladrius-1967
38. JoeInky-1941 (-2)
39. Watch Da Birdie-1917 (+6)
40. Hatchtag-1876 (+1)
41. balladofwindfishes-1810 (+8)
42. Neoxon-1780
43. J@hranimo-1728 (+5)
44. Neoriceisgood-1716 (-5)
45. ShockingAlberto-1703 (-5)

46. Benzychenz-1665 (NEW)
47. Dimitri LH-1641 (-4)
48. Sponge-1633 (-4)
49. Kouriozan-1579 (-2)
50. GamerSoul-1573 (-4)

biggest rise: balladofwindfishes (8 spots)
biggest fall: Neoriceisgood/ShockingAlberto (5 spots)
newcomer: Benzychenz
dropped out: Baron von Loathsome

edit: wait there is something of note, IntelliHeath passed the 9000 mark :p

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
From E3 2014:

bKxJZ0W.png

Notice that the "Random" button moved over to the left in the final stage select screen compared to E3, even though there's still plenty of room to have it exactly in the same spot. Couple that with your observation that another button could perfectly fit in that gap and there could be a pattern!

That's nice catch. That was interesting how they just downsized the button into smaller instead of letting it take up the space. It's plausible that it could be DLC button, Normal 2 button or nothing.

1. IntelliHeath-9249
2. theprodigy-6753
3. Horizon-5373
4. ffdgh-5097
5. BGBW-4977 (+1)
6. foxuzamaki-4815 (-1)
7. Neiteio-4746 (+2)
8. georly-4653
9. SuperSah-4603 (-2)
10. SmithnCo-4377
11. PadWarrior-4220
12. Beelzebufo-3992
13. OricWindstar-3891
14. Boss Doggie-3625
15. MrSaturn99-3467 (+2)
16. Berordn-3326
17. Troubled Bat-3325 (-2)
18. Toxi-2884
19. zroid-2854 (+1)
20. Loco4Coco-2789 (-1)
21. Ryce-2754 (+1)
22. Village-2678 (-1)
23. DaBoss-2398
24. qq more-2397
25. Red Arremer-2381 (+1)
26. Kriken-2378 (-1)
27. Golnei-2366 (+7)
28. I'M FINISHED-2343 (-1)
29. emb-2286 (+2)
30. BassForever-2184 (-1)
31. Kyzon-2158 (-3)
32. SenorArdilla-2155 (-2)
33. Jawmuncher-2111 (+5)
34. The Great Gonzales-2084 (-2)
35. Azure J-2039
36. Pop-O-Matic-1993 (-3)
37. Caladrius-1967
38. JoeInky-1941 (-2)
39. Watch Da Birdie-1917 (+6)
40. Hatchtag-1876 (+1)
41. balladofwindfishes-1810 (+8)
42. Neoxon-1780
43. J@hranimo-1728 (+5)
44. Neoriceisgood-1716 (-5)
45. ShockingAlberto-1703 (-5)

46. Benzychenz-1665 (NEW)
47. Dimitri LH-1641 (-4)
48. Sponge-1633 (-4)
49. Kouriozan-1579 (-2)
50. GamerSoul-1573 (-4)

biggest rise: balladofwindfishes (8 spots)
biggest fall: Neoriceisgood/ShockingAlberto (5 spots)
newcomer: Benzychenz
dropped out: Baron von Loathsome
Leave for two threads and you're out just like that
What a shame

Jay RaR

I'd love more Mewtwo information, but if all they could show us in the Direct was his character model, I'm not sure they're ready yet to show screens of him in action. They'll probably save all the in-game stuff for closer to his release. It'll help keep the hype going after the game is released.

Yeah, its WAY too soon for Nintendo to reveal more info on Mewtwo. Most likely in the distant future, there'll be a direct showcasing SSB DLC with Mewtwo in it. I kinda doubt Mewtwo would be the only DLC (judging by Mario Kart, Hyrule Warriors, and Mario Golf dlc packs). If no other character then I'd expect more music and stages at the very least.

Caladrius

I hope Paper Mario is an unlockable stage.

And part of me wants him as DLC for some reason, even though there'll probably be very few Paper Mario 1 references in his moveset.

37. Caladrius-1967

I'm surprised I'm still even charting with how long I was gone.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
I coulda sworn I was in the fighting game thread when they were talking about having this as their next thread title

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom