• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros Wii U and 3DS: Info Collection - Dojo, Mega Man and Trailer! 2014!

ASTROID2

There are five different kinds of alts:
  • Random costume, usually with a small reference to the game's universe. (Dark Zelda, Ness's Mr. Saturn t-shirt)
  • Reference to a different costume / suit the character has, but not quite it. (Samus's Fusion Suit).
  • Direct appearance of a different costume. (Wario's overalls, Mario's Fire Flower, Link's OoT Tunics)
  • Reference to a different character, but quite he/she. (Blood Falcon, Claus, Daisy, Waluigi)
  • Direct appearance of a different character. (?)

The fifth is arguable, since I'm not sure if any actually counts. Maybe Dark Link, having even different eyes?... Not sure. It just seems that the character in each slot is always the character it's supposed to be. If an actual costume works as an alt (like Fire Flower Mario), they put it. If it doesn't (due to different abilities, like Samus's ones), they simply refer to it through a recolor. Even with the Pokémon characters, things are pretty carefully handled. There's no shiny form that exactly appears (since it would imply a different character), and many alts are smart references to old sprites' colors, pre-evos / evos and other characters' costumes (Leaf's for Jigglypuff, Red's for Pikachu).

Sakurai is really careful with this stuff. I think it may be against his character design philosophy to use different character as alts, which is why I'm not betting too much on SS Link (although it would be nice, if properly handled).

I hope more characters will have alts like Wario did in brawl.

ash_ag

Na she has to match Link she will probably be more classic style.
I think Shiek stays, too popular imo.

That might just be another reason for the TP Link; consistency with other characters. While Sheik didn't appear in TP either, she still had an official TP counterpart design that was scrapped.

MmGRoHl.png

SS Zelda is in a pretty unique situation, since they don't have something like that to work with -- even Toon Zelda would have Tetra as her B-Down.

NeonZ

Palutena is obviously superior to Medusa and Hades, but I sort of feel they might go for Medusa for her being the series' traditional villain and a female baddie. :-

I don't think they have that kind of priority. Just look at Zelda in Melee. Zelda herself was represented by two new movesets, while Ganondorf was just a last minute addition.

But the pictures also show that this is definitely Twilight Princess Link too, as far as gear is concerned.

I'm so confused. :S

I don't see why it's confusing. Look at Ocarina of Time Link in SSB/SSBM. He could use boomerangs even as an adult and had aerial attacks based on AoL. The Vs Dark Link match also referenced AoL rather than OoT. They pick only one design for Link himself, but he's generally meant to represent the entire series, not just that one specific Link they've chosen.

The fifth is arguable, since I'm not sure if any actually counts. Maybe Dark Link, having even different eyes?... Not sure. It just seems that the character in each slot is always the character it's supposed to be.

Well, that's true in the sense that no appearance change so far has changed the name and voice of the characters, but Sakurai has shown that he has no problems with completely mimicking the appearance of another character if it can be done just with a skin (no model changes). You mention that he didn't go with shiny Pokemon costumes, but he did go with Dark Link, which was a skin taken straight out of Twilight Princess.

Also, his comments about Dark Link and OoT colors Zelda:
What’s this?! Dark Link?!

This is the Zelda of old.
Not going with shiny Pokemon might have had more to do with Pokemon Company's higher control over their characters.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Do away with Beast Ganon, have Ganondorf's Final Smash turn him into Demise. Basically similar to Giga Bowser but with crazy lightning projectiles and dashing instead of slow, lumbering, easy-to-avoid attacks. Make it so and I may forgive you for what you did to him in Brawl.

I'm hoping for that bias. I don't want him to cut Dedede. :(

But i know if it comes down to him or meta knight the fans love the latter alot more.

If it came down to either Dedede or Meta Knight, Dedede would take the cake (pun intended), simply for the reason that he has a much bigger legacy than Meta Knight.

JulianImp

Don't all characters make effects like that?

Yeah, that's what Sakurai explained in the developer direct. All characters now have attack effects to make those more noticeable. It's both a nice way to instantly gauge the move's range and also helps players recognize attacks, which comes in handy for the 3DS's small screen resolution.

I'd be all for Ghirahim and/or Demise! I think the latter would work better as a boss or Ganondorg's final smash, though, but Ghirahim was the more iconic villain from SS, as he was around for longer, so the game was able to develop him as a character way more than Demise, IMO.

It'd be great to see Mewtwo again, but I feel like Pokémon already has way too many Gen 1 representatives, which is probably why they chose Lucario in Brawl. It was a really cool character though, not being your classic Nintendo hero and doing cool things such as floating instead of walking/running and wielding items with its psychic powers.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Palutena's the only character I'm letting myself anticipate to some degree. Otherwise I'm fairly resolved to just accept whatever Sakurai gives us. I'm already super-happy with Mega Man, Villager and Wii Fit Trainer. Frankly, in regards to Villager and Wii Fit Trainer, I never knew I wanted them in Smash until I saw Sakurai's vision for them, which is the best kind of surprise. So, for the most part, I'm happy to trust Sakurai on the roster. I just hope for Palutena, because I love her character so much and I see a lot of reason for her inclusion.

My feeling is exactly same based on Palutena, but I would love to see her in the game however I'm afraid that Sakurai might be modest about his characters. If Palutena got in, then she is more likely to be secret character which would make the guessing game more harder.

Too many awesome characters in Kid Icarus Uprising. Can we just turn the game into Smash Bros. vs. Kid Icarus? Or maybe Smash Bros. vs. Kid Icarus vs. Fire Emblem? :p

I suggested same thing in Prediction Contest.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=57708236&postcount=550

I was rather bored today, so I decided to recreate some of the screenshots that have been posted on the official site in Super Smash Bros. Brawl. I haven't mastered dual controller usage to the proficiency of Mr. Sakurai, so please bear with me!

You did pretty awesome job.

Thanks for the feedback! I really like the return to a more cartoon-like style. As mentioned, Kirby surprisingly shows how much the color palette has changed. It's easy to see the changes with Mario and Pikachu as well. There are some style modifications such as Pit's exaggerated bow size and the general increase in visual feedback for attacks. However, I think Link is in a weird place. It's easy to see individual "pieces" of him that has improved. The hair and chainmail are dramatically enhanced, but the whole package seems really lacking to me for some reason. I think it's the color of his tunic in certain lighting conditions. Overall, though, I definitely like what I see more after further scrutiny.

Yeah, I really love cartoony color vibes that Sakurai created for SSB4 since it felt so right for the series.

When are we getting new characters? Man this feels like Pokemon XY waiting game :/
Next Nintendo Direct I guess?

NeonZ

It'd be great to see Mewtwo again, but I feel like Pokémon already has way too many Gen 1 representatives, which is probably why they chose Lucario in Brawl. It was a really cool character though, not being your classic Nintendo hero and doing cool things such as floating instead of walking/running and wielding items with its psychic powers.

Mewtwo likely would have his new form though, so he'd be a gen 6 representative. It might be the easiest way to represent the new generation, especially if you look at Brawl and the lack of representation there for games released late into its development, like Galaxy. Tweaking Mewtwo's old moveset while removing tail attacks might be the easiest way to add a gen 6 representative.

I'm afraid that Sakurai might be modest about his characters.

Palutena isn't really a Sakurai character though.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Mewtwo likely would have his new form though, so he'd be a gen 6 representative. It might be the easiest way to represent the new generation, especially if you look at Brawl and the lack of representation there for games released late into its development, like Galaxy.

Yeah, more likely.

If there isn't a Mario Galaxy stage I'm gonna be sad :(

Imagine the stage just being a planet, and characters can run all the way around it. It would be so chaotic and fun.

OceanBlue

If there isn't a Mario Galaxy stage I'm gonna be sad :(

Imagine the stage just being a planet, and characters can run all the way around it. It would be so chaotic and fun.

That would be pretty awesome. When characters are launched, would they orbit around the stage? lol

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
And then the planet splits open into semispheres to make it look like a spherical Smash logo where a black hole is in the middle so you can attack people downwards as well.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Mewtwo likely would have his new form though, so he'd be a gen 6 representative. It might be the easiest way to represent the new generation, especially if you look at Brawl and the lack of representation there for games released late into its development, like Galaxy. Tweaking Mewtwo's old moveset while removing tail attacks might be the easiest way to add a gen 6 representative.

But that's not the case for Pokemon, even in Brawl. Hell, the same could be said this gen since 6 will be out this year in October. If anything, I worry about Gen 5 not getting reps despite awesome stuff like Genesect, Keldeo, N, and Meloetta.

See, here's where I have trouble seeing Palutena's inclusion. Also, as a side note, I actually really enjoy Palutena the character, this is just my logic for not getting your hopes up about her inclusion.

I've looked over the rosters from the previous Smash games, and most of the playable characters have been, well, just that. Playable characters from their games. I know many will argue about ROB and Dr. Mario, and there's some weight in that. You play as Falco in multiplayer SF64 and... can you play as Wolf? I don't remember. Ganondorf is another exception, but I think this relative rule can be broken for infamous villains.

Palutena, however, is nothing but support. A Final Smash from Brawl. Fun character? Yes, without a doubt. But to expect her to come to Brawl as playable with an entire moveset dedicated to her when all she really does in KI:U is chatter throughout the game? That seems like a stretch to me. I'd expect to see Hades before Palutena, and I don't expect to see Hades. She isn't playable, she isn't a villain, and she isn't really known for combat (yeah, yeah, neither is Zelda or Peach, I know).

Could it happen? Of course, this is Smash, and KI:U is Sakurai's game. We all know Sakurai can tend to give some priority to his babies. But I'm trying to be realistic about what characters I get my hopes up about, and I don't see Palutena happening.

NeonZ

and... can you play as Wolf?

Starfox Assault, multiplayer.

Ganondorf is another exception, but I think this relative rule can be broken for infamous villains.
You're kind of forgetting or ignoring Zelda/Sheik though. In fact, Zelda getting added to Melee, as two different character, before Ganondorf, is the main reason I think Palutena will be the second Kid Icarus character. The pattern is very similar - important supporting female character (who is part of the series' title in Japan), who is unplayable in her own series becoming a playable character in Smash.

Also, Palutena did have a boss fight. That's more than Zelda at the time she was added to Smash. Also, don't forget Wario. Although he's a playable character in many games, the version in Brawl was mostly based on his Warioware appearances, where he isn't really directly playable, with the gameplay focusing on the microgames, not Wario himself.

But that's not the case for Pokemon, even in Brawl. Hell, the same could be said this gen since 6 will be out this year in October. If anything, I worry about Gen 5 not getting reps despite awesome stuff like Genesect, Keldeo, N, and Meloetta.

Diamond & Pearl was released in September, 2006. Lucario, specifically, on the other hand, was revealed as far back as midway through 2005. Brawl only came out in the beginning of 2008. Even though cooperating with Pokemon Company seems to mean they get more up to date representation than other parts of Nintendo, I don't think the timeline favors a completely original X/Y playable representation, especially if this Smash game really is meant to come out next year already. Adding an unplanned character late in development is harder and can result in delays, like what happened with Sonic.

Speedwagon

Michelangelo painted the Sistine Chapel. Yabuki turned off voice chat in Mario Kart races. True artists of their time.
See, here's where I have trouble seeing Palutena's inclusion. Also, as a side note, I actually really enjoy Palutena the character, this is just my logic for not getting your hopes up about her inclusion.

I've looked over the rosters from the previous Smash games, and most of the playable characters have been, well, just that. Playable characters from their games. I know many will argue about ROB and Dr. Mario, and there's some weight in that. You play as Falco in multiplayer SF64 and... can you play as Wolf? I don't remember. Ganondorf is another exception, but I think this relative rule can be broken for infamous villains.

Palutena, however, is nothing but support. A Final Smash from Brawl. Fun character? Yes, without a doubt. But to expect her to come to Brawl as playable with an entire moveset dedicated to her when all she really does in KI:U is chatter throughout the game? That seems like a stretch to me. I'd expect to see Hades before Palutena, and I don't expect to see Hades. She isn't playable, she isn't a villain, and she isn't really known for combat (yeah, yeah, neither is Zelda or Peach, I know).

Could it happen? Of course, this is Smash, and KI:U is Sakurai's game. We all know Sakurai can tend to give some priority to his babies. But I'm trying to be realistic about what characters I get my hopes up about, and I don't see Palutena happening.

Magnus it is then.

Wii Fit Trainer isn't exactly a playable character, so I don't think this is an established tradition. Was Zelda playable in any of the Zelda games, prior to Melee?

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Was Zelda playable in any of the Zelda games, prior to Melee?
Not including the CD-i games, none that come to mind, including Sheik.

& what about Captain Falcon? Wouldn't he fall under the whole "never was a playable character beforehand" since you were controlling his vehicle instead of him as a person?

A Galaxy stage where you're launched and fighting while in orbit is AWESOME!

And an Elite Beat Agents stage please. Make it happen Nintendo. Heck I wouldn't mind an Elite Beat Agent playable. :p

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Fully support EBA/Ouendan as playable characters, assist trophies, &/or as a playable stage. All the people you helped in the background waving their hands while EBA or Ouendan (either both or whoever wasn't made playable) are doing their moves, cheering the fighters on while flames are slowly building up as time goes on or more KOs are dealt. No idea if they could use the music from those games due to licensing, but maybe music from Rhythm Heaven/Fever, Band Brothers, and Harmoknight can be selectable. & as suggested before, have the circle and drag notes be hazards and platforms.

& wouldn't mind seeing other rhythm games such as the ones mentioned above being represented via assist trophy, stages, or selectable music.

Olimar will most likely be an alt. costume for/replaced by Alph, Brittany and Charlie.
Olimar is not going to get replaced... This notion boggles my mind.

Lucas didn't replace Ness, and Ness was only in one game. Olimar has been the lead in the first TWO games and will appear in the third. Olimar is in the third game because Nintendo knows people wanted him to be. He will also be in Smash 4.

Berordn

& what about Captain Falcon? Wouldn't he fall under the whole "never was a playable character beforehand" since you were controlling his vehicle instead of him as a person?

Not only is there never an opportunity where you control him outside of his vehicle in any of the F-Zero games, there's nothing to hint that he's pyrokinetic which they run with in SSB.

I'd say that counts. You're racing as Captain Falcon, even if you're not using his two legs. You're still controlling him controlling the vehicle. And yeah, the Zelda/Sheik angle can be argued, for sure. It's not a concrete rule or anything, just really a fairly logical point of view. Sheik was an active character, and it'd be weird to have her in without Zelda.

I just think, from a logical perspective, Palutena is pretty low on the totem pole as far as viable playable characters go. Sakurai will do what Sakurai do, but she's one degree away from being a disembodied voice. To embody her and have her actively jumping around and whatnot seems Farfetch'd.

FARFETCH'D FOR SMASH BROS. 4

Top Bottom